Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What are all ways to help to get rid of opiate cravings???s?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have a good friend of mine who is now an ex herion user and he has been on Methadone before but, wants to do it w/o any opiates. He doesn't want to be on Naltrexone, Sub,etc. I have detoxed off pain meds that I was on for severe chronic pain but, I never had any real cravings so, I don't have any advice for him besides Naltrexate. Does anyone know any other ways or natural healthy ways that help opiate cravings?? I am worried for him b/c he always goes back to using herion and oxycontin too. Thanks ya'll!!!
For most addicts, the mental is 100 times worse than the physical w/d's because the physical symptons go away in a few weeks.  However the mental part is there during the day and in the subconscious as most dream of using when they can sleep.  If  he truly wants to "white knuckle it"  which quite frankly doesn't seem to be working for him, (or hasn't in the past)  as it doesn't  for most opiate addicts........  I can only stress he go into treatment for at least 30 days, based on his history 60 to 120 days is more realistic......  and once he completes that he is in intensive out patient treatment, in addition to AA NA or a counselor/addiction specialist.  because he absolutely needs a strong aftercare program...    

It took a long time for him to get to where he is now in his addiction, and his road to sobriety will more than likely take more time than he has been an addict...  to ensure he doesn't relapse.  I dont know how close his w/d"s have been  in regards to relapse......  but I can tell you for my daughter she could do the detox  multiple times  and did so with flying colors.. HOWEVER  the mental addiction was her hardest struggle  and it took a whole lot of in patient and intensive out patient and AA meetings  (once she was truly serious about quitting and to do so for herself not because we, her family wanted her clean and were scared to death we would lose her to her addiction to opiates), to truly stay sober.

There is not a simple answer or a simple way to beat a serious opiate addiction.......  he has to really want to be sober and be willing to do whatever it takes to make that journey into an opiate free, healthy functioning adult.

My best thoughts and wishes to you and your friend, I only ask that both of you go into this with eyes wide open knowing it is the fight of a lifetime.
Thanks Late August!
I am doing fine besides my pain, Ive been off pain meds for a while and I am a intern Social Worker and I work with the mentally ill and drug addicts. I know a lot about drug addicts,etc. I just wanted to know what do people do to help ease the cravings for opiates. My friend has been sober for 6 months and does go to NA and AA meetings. He was in a religious/boot camp rehab for 3 months. Is there any vitamin therapy that helps with Opiate cravings? Remedies? There has to be something. I feel so bad for him b/c this has been the longest he's been sober! Thanks again!
If you look in the health pages which can be found in the bottom right hand side of the screen you will see the "amino acid protocol". It lists some vitamins and supplements that help get our mind and bodies back on track. I have used it and am currently using it and it makes a world of difference. Also make him exercise. I find exercise to be one of the best tools for recovery. So with the amino acids, exercise, eating healthy, and pushing the good fluids such as juice and water will benefit him greatly.
Best of luck. If you have any problems finding the amino acid protocol, let me know.

Brian
Thanks for sharing!!!!

http://www.*****************/
Definitely follow the "amino acid protocol".  I'm on it and don't have any cravings.  I think it's best if people get the latest edition of "End Your Addiction Now" by Charles Gant and Greg Lewis in order to "fine tune" the supplements they need.  The book is avaiable at Amazon.  But the amino acid protocol on this site should offer most people significant relief from cravings and paws.
EXERCISE!!  I was having pretty bad cravings yesterday...went for a 40 minute run and it helped tremendously.  Essentially, I was giving my brain what it needed...ala the natural method.  Of course I woke up this morning and there they were...but much like any Compulsive Behavior...he needs to "shift" the gears in his head to a more productive thought process.  That has always worked for me with OCD.  Just imagine your brain as an engine (silly, I know) and it is stuck in first gear (cravings).  Mentally paint the picture of your brain shifting into 2nd gear...which is a state of peace...and move on to a productive task.  This is why meditation is so often recommended for recovering addicts.

I hope this helps...

~ Free
THANKS SO MUCH!!!