Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What are the long term effects of suboxone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What are the long term effects of suboxone use?
http://suboxonetalkzone.wordpress.com/2008/02/14/long-term-effects-of-suboxone/
please see the side bar Health issues; FAQ re; suboxone/subutex on the right column scroll down.
You will see with further reading of posts with suboxone as heading that many here regard sub as a double edged sword.
The fact is that were we given the info about the wd's related to sub, and the side effects, and how for too many life on sub is miserable, we would have not considered LONG TERM use, as the site above promotes!
We would have insisted on a short term opiate detox and thus a shorter detox from suboxone, were we of sound enough mind.
Most of us were so desperate to minimize opiate wd.
What Hawaiimed said was 'spot on' ---  exactly right.  There is a post in the health pages (upper right hand side of this sheet) titled "Members experiences coming off of Suboxone" and should give you some ideas about those who have been on both short and long term use of Sub.  I suggest you read it.  All the best.
For me, aside of the terrible much worse than DOC physical withdrawal that came along with suboxone withdrawal after taking suboxone for over 2 years -- what I am still fighting and grappling with is the devastating depression or dysphoria that has come with quitting.  I know for certain for ME (I cannot speak for eveyrone as everyone's stuff is individual) depression like this did not come after any other detox or after any other drug use.  This for me has been unique to suboxone use and suboxone detox.  85 or so days off and I still struggle mentally with being unhappy and incapable of finding joy in things.. I strive and try and try and for the most part its getting a bit better but emotionally and mentally I am a changed person.  I also know that 85 days is not that long of a time so I do hold out hope that it will continue to get better.  I dont know if I will ever be the person I was before all this but I hope and pray and am confident that it will get better.  And I have also finally accepted it for what it is.  There is no going back - only forward.  I know only a handful of people who have been on suboxone and are now off and dont know anyone who has been off for a long time -- like years post sub, but I worry that more and more people are going to find out the hard way the long term effects of long term sub use.  Just my two cents.  Love to all.