Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What can I use?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What can I use?

Ok so I am a recovering addict (DOC coke 3 years sober). I have recently found out that i have 2 pinched nerves and a herniated (sp?) disk in my spine. I was pres. Tramadol b/c I told my doc that i refuse oxy's or any thing of the sort.(friends and family have a big big problem with those drugs and i'm not goin there again) I was taking them for a while then relized uhhh basically still gonna get me Fed in the A in the long run plus i'm pretty sure i'm alergic (allergic) to it, it makes me itch like crazy and gives me bad headaches. I take Flexeril (muscle relaxer) but it just makes me fall asleep.(which is good b/c at least i can sleep though the pain) So my question is, Is there anything I can take that is safe durring the day? I can't take this pain. I switched jobs b/c i couldnt be on my feet all day. I take the ibprophen and what ever but it's just not cuttin it. I'm not against home remedys but a heating pad doesnt do sh*t  Is there ANYTHING???
You can try an otc med called percogesic that contains tylenol with an antihistamine.How long ago did you stop taking tramadol because it also causes a rebound pain that will subside .I have rheumatoid arthritis and take extrastrength tylenol and ibuprofen,alternating and it seems to help my pain during the day.None of these drugs are heavy duty but they seem to do it for me.
Toradol
Managing pain without narcotics is really the way to go..narcotics only interrupt the signals of pain to ur brain..there is no direct effect on the pain itself..trams r habit forming for many and glad u ditched them

A herniated disc means a disc is protruding///i am not sure of ur age but as we get older the spine compresses and the discs r in btw the vertebrae..the become a bit squished over time...in someone over 40 it would be rare to not c at least one herniated disc//same as a bulging disc////a ruptured disc is a bit less common and this is when the disc is compressed so much for so long that it springs a leak//the fluid that leaks out of the disc is painful////fact is -ain is pain....and often sumpin that causes one pain does not cause another pain....but fact is//our pain is our pain..and it is real

A dr is the best to talk to..if u dont like this one//get another
For me chiropractic keeps me going..without it i could not work and i go biweekly//but my problem happened when i was 26//which is almost 24 years ago..the longer u go without treatment//the more likely the condition will become chronic

Also ice works better than heat...stretching is an almost instant pain relief and yoga became my work out of choice as it relieves the pain..believe me I have every gadget one could have for pain including an infrared sauna, a jacuzzi, a shiatzu massager (rox and cheap)  When i am in severe pain i pay for a massage as i have someone who does it for me at a reasonable price//but not sumpin i can do weekly due to funds

Muscle relaxers are not habit forming as a rule nor are anti-inflammatories like the ibuprofen u take..but it has to be daily/An A-Inflammatory does to really work and not as needed..neurontin is another safe drug i have been on for years and it helps alot as well

Find a dr who will address ur pain..Physical therapy can help too....Many are afraid of chiropractors but will let someone cut them open and do surgery on their spine!  I did//and it was a mistake...natural pain relief is best...even for non-addicts

Glad u recognize ur history and tendenies..it is hard to have pain when u r an addict...hang tight
toradol is a good one doctors will only let you take it for short periods at a time because it can do a number on your stomach .I have used it a few times a week here a week there it has helped every time. Now unfortunately I cant because I have taken way to many NAISDS
I was prescribed neurontin for nerve pain due to a herniated disc that caused sciatic pain. I did help some. There are also some others out there so maybe talk to your doctor. Tramadol can be just as if not more addicting than vicodin or oxy so be very careful there. Hope you can find some relief. There is a pain management forum here on med help that you may benefit from. At the top of the page click on forums. It will bring up a list of the different forums available here.
Best of luck!
Brian