Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What could cause a false positive result for TCA?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

My son recently tested positive for TCA (tricyclic antidepressants )
He's has taken L-Tyrosine, benedryl, immodium and melatonin.
Everything else on the 10 panel drug screen is negative.
Does anyone know what caused this?
who and why would they test for an anti-depressant?  i have never heard of that...
I bought A 10 panel at home drug test kit and it includes
COC AMP MAMP THC MTD OPI PCP BAR BZO TCA
I bought an "OXY" kit seperatly. As a matter of fact, I bought 26 test kits online
is he an addict that is trying to stay clean and you are helping him?

i have absolutely no faith in urine drug screens...i have stopped ALL drug abuse, i am on suboxone for addiction and klonipin (klonopin) for anxiety and panic...well in order for me to continue with my suboxone treatment i have to have random drug screens at the hospital, which i have to pass, or i will lose my suboxone and doctors help, i would NEVER jeopordize this...i have failed the last 2 drug screens....my first test said i tested positive for marijuana, (i havent smoked in over a year), i tested negative for my klonipin (klonopin), (which is a benzo and i take daily)...so my doctor requested a retest within 3 days from the first one....the second test i tested negative for marijuana, negative for benzos (klonipin (klonopin)), negative for opiods but positive for oxycodone...(oxycodone IS an opiate, DUH?)...my doctor soon realized something was terribly wrong, but not with me...had a blood test done instead...passed with flying colors...i would recommend this over a urine screen any day...so please, this may be a good idea?

also why would you need to test for an anti-depressant?  does he abuse them?  and if so why would he do that?   they do nothing in terms of reaching any type of high?  just curious...and i hope this helps some...and good luck, if i can help in any other way..please let me know...XXXOOO
TCA urine tests are used in Emergency Rooms when someone comes in with a suspected overdose, because tricyclic AD overdoses can cause cardio-toxicity, central nervous system depression, even death.  It is usually not an isolated test, but is one of the things they can test for.
OK, I'm confused..why would you test for TCA?I'm not knocking you testing for it..just curious. I can't find any sources for false positives in TCA testing, just because it's not a huge drug test priority. Do you suspect him of abusing an antidepressant? Does he have a doctor that may have been prescribing it? I suspect, like many drugs, there are tons of things that can cause false positives. If you're drug testing him, then I suspect that you think he's taking something. Lots of kids "borrow" or use other kids antidepressants and use them recreationally. I'm afraid I haven't been much help, but I'm confused at the same time. The more information you can give, the more help we can be.
What qualifies you as a person capable of monitoring his results. I read your first post where your son admitted to you he had a problem with Oxycontin, That in itself is a very addictive drug that is not controlled by willpower, or 100 urine's. I mentioned to you that your son was suffering from a chronic treatable disease of the brain, Your threats of tossing him to the wolves, In my opion is not a mother trying to help her son. You are putting so much pressure on him that I would not be surprised if he does relapse. Due to the mother that has turned herself into a self proclaimed member of a drug task force. Is he under house arrest as well. Why dont you save your money and put him in a 30 day drug detox to learn cognitive therapy to deal with his disease. Where is his father during all this, Let me guess your divorced. No disrespect intended just speaking my mind, I have a tendency of doing that when I a person is making matters worse, If he failed one why not give him three in a row and see what king of results you get.--------NOAH
You bought 26 kits?????????

*sigh*

Nothing like a LITTLE bit of pressure breathing down your back, muttering incessantly in  your ear to, what ever you do, don't screw up.  
I wouldn't rely on urine tests.I am tested every 2 weeks in order to get my methadone, i have 5 paneldrug test for Methadone, Benzos, Opiates, COcaine, amphetimines. I have had false positive for benzos which they thought was just me lying as after all i am only a drug addict(in their opinion anyway).I know people tested negative for Heroin and have used just before going. Ihave Diabetes and have read that can cause false positives along with kidney infections. Anti inflamatorys can cause false positive for marijuana. There are many things that can cause false positives. I have always had accurate results with saliva tests and blood tests.
The urine test i have also can not tell the difference between Heroin and many over the counter medications containing codeine. I know you were not testing for Heroin i was just trying to point out problems with Urine tests.
I hope your son manages to work through problem.If he is ready to stop its half the battle. When i was on Heroin my mum was a great support and was always there for me when i needed her(within reason). I honestly don't think i would be here today if it wasn't for her. I had a liver abcess (abscess) and septicimea from injecting and if my mum hadn't have dragged me to hospital when she did dr's said i probably wouldn't have made it another day. She was always there no matter what. If you just be there for your son and support him when he's ready to come off Oxys thats all you can do.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with drug testing your kid.  Especially if there have been problems in the past.  I have seriously considered testing my daughter as well.  She likes to lie about smoking weed so at some point we will probably take a little ride together to go see the doctor.  If she wants to lie about it then I will catch her in it.  Lying is a big no-no in our house.  Probably even more than smoking a little reffer from time to time.  
I have been taking lortab for over a year and my doctors office takes random drug screens for street drugs. well they cut me off from my tabs because they said they found methadone in my blood???? never took it in my life! what coulve caused this, im about to raise hell when i go there , arent blood tests supposed to be perfect???
Not sure about the TCA one. But I am sure immodium can cause a positive for opiates. In fact it's made out of some derivative of opiates. You can research that, if you want.
Did you recently start any heart or blood pressure medications?   anything different than the norm
sorry....wrong post!
Benadryl could cause a false positive for TCA. It is part of the routine qualitative urine drug screening because in overdose, TCA's can be fatal. These tests are often used in hospitals to find out the etiology if someone is unconscious, for example, because it can be necessary to know what substances might be on board (not necessarily just because the physician is worried someone is abusing the drug).
RESEARCH CHEMICALS!! MDPV to be exact. Six years ago (when you posted this) it was probably being sold as a legal high (bath salts). Or maybe it wasn't a narcotic at all, could be lots of different things. If your son is an addict, like me, he was probably lying to you. My family tossed me to the wolves and when I was ready to get help they sent me to treatment. I haven't shot up any kind of drug since the day I went to treatment. I hope that six and half years later he is alive and sober and not still living with you. Letting a drug addict live with you is enabling, plain and simple. Go to AlAnon or NarAnon and get him help. Opiates will kill someone if they are abused. Don't cut him off completely by any means