Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What do I have to look forward to during detox?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have detoxed off oxy before and was fine after 7 8 days. I stupidly got on methadone and have gone from clinic to a dr setting. recently the DEA in FL has shut alot of the dr's down and made it to where we cant get our methadone. I have been out for 8 days but had a few left over i was only taking 30mg-40mg a day for a 3years before that 80mg for 2 years a day. for the past 7 days I am down to 5mg and out as of today. I went to a primary insurance dr they said they cant help me. I was wondering since I have been ONLY taking 5-10mg a day for 7 days how bad the withdrawals will be, also how long they may last I am a girl I have been on it for 5 plus years and I am over weight of that matters 209lbs which is the smallest I have been since middle school, I have dropped 9lbs in 7 days.
You don't REALLY feel the uncomfortable, weakness, diarrhea, shakiness, legs shaking until about the 10th day without. It's anxiety that you feel in the beginning. Methadone stays in your system long time.Thank God I had some Xanax, but I still had those symptoms. every day got a smiggen better.  but, honesty, if we are true to ourselves, I would (almost) do anything to get rid of this feeling.  Please don't get on Methadone if you're just addicted to pain killers in general. Methadone was supposed to be for heroin, needle junkies.  If you thought you were addicted on pain killers, you'll find out that those are nothing compared with Methadone. I've been fighting addiction for 30+ years.  I'm a regular person, raised in a half-way decent home, always worked for large companies, and was able to hide it.  Good Luck Heather. Ask God to help you, ask Him to take over.
Hi Heather & Welcome..Congratulations on your Methadone taper.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having difficulty with M prescribers in your area. The fact is that with a Methadone taper -- slow & easy wins the race. (It took me a year & half to taper from 140 mgs. to 28 mgs. when I jumped & went to a Vicodin to Sub detox..I had 20 yrs. in on my last clinic.)

It would be good if you could describe your symptoms..what you're currently experiencing. That way we could get a better read on your situation. The weight loss sounds very familiar. (My metabolism revved up as well!) Methadone affects the thyroid. Usually, it slows it down. Occasionally, it speeds it up (I've only seen a few cases of the latter -- much more of the former.,) So, when you come off it speeds up.

I just want you to know that you've got age on your side right now. I recently turned 48 and started using late in my 17th year. So, I'm here to testify that with each year that slides by & with each habit you notch on your belt, it becomes harder & harder for your brain/behavior to adapt & heal. You also miss more and more of your life because we're not truly 'present' on opiates -- we don't really feel things properly or deal with life on life's terms. After a fair amt. of time off of M. the reality of this will kick in. So, what I'm getting at here, is NOW is the time to stop.

What did strike me, here, is that you seem to be doing this because you can't access your DOC. Unfortunately, this is not a particularly strong motivation to get clean. What I'd like to ask you, my friend, is how you truly feel about it? Are you prepared to do absolutely everything required to get & (most importantly) to remain clean?

You've come to the right place. Methadone can be rough but people here have done it (me included,) This site is an AMAZING recovery tool if you use it. Please, let us know a little bit about your current symptoms & your feelings re: getting clean. I thank you for reaching out & hope you continue to post. You CAN do this. We're here & we're pulling for you!
Hi. I ditto what EvolverU said and would ask the same questions. I have detoxed from the other opiates as well. The Methadone was a whole other animal. I was on this for about 12 years. Was at a very high dose and finally years & years later got my self down to 30mg. I finally had to jump the boat with the dones and 2 other meds. I could not taper at all. Since you are down to 5 mg it should not be as intense.If you want to be clean you will need to just except the detox stages as they come. It takes awhile for the Body & Brain to Balance back do to the removal of these Substances.Try to keep Hydrating the Body. Replenishing Vit/Min and Electrolyte Deficiencies is a must. We do have a lot of others on here that have detox from this med as well. So just keep checking your post and I sure do Pray you get off this Med for Good!!!
Honestly my life is at a fork in the road getting out of a 10 year relationship where he had me arrested charges dropped he relaped on crack 90 days ago. I had my house shot up and my life is spiraling out of sontrol so in 9 days I have decided to move, he got arrested, I found a home, and now I cant find my meds after 8 days tapering off and running out I realized I wanted to see life clear since the past 10 years are a blur and I dont want to live my life that way. my primary can not perscribe suboxin and I cant get any till wed thurs. That will be 6 7 days clean if I can suffer that far why get on something else? So far i cant sleep at night and I am not hungry. I am exahusted and yawning and a little sore. I was given ultram, naproxen and zoloft which seem 2 help but I cant sleep. Some people including the local clinic state this along with the diahrreah to come will last days the severe part. But then I read months...I am scared of the unknown.... I have survived a ot in my life and with my parents and God watching over me I know I can do this. I just wanted to get advice and see other peoples experiences.
My hear is also beaing faster than normal
heart^^ sorry
Hi Heather, yes don't swap for anything else now, I swapped from "H" to Methadone and then to Subs it just one evil or the other and you've already done so well it would all be a waste if you swap. I can't tell you what its like to come of Meth, but coming of subs is a long battle to, if your coping now I would just see it through, sleep will come in time, if you fight the sleep it make's it worse. Take hot baths, listen to music, watch movies, try to exercise as that will help a lot and try to eat even if you don't feel like it as that will really help build your strength up for whats ahead of you. Soft fruits are always a good place to start and drink LOADS of water. You will start to feel better as the days pass I promise, I was truly harting during my first week and a half but it passes, I'm on day 21/22 I think as I stopped counting, lol. I fel great now, just a little restless and slight sweating is all.

Please don't give up the fight, you've been through a whole lot so you've obviously got spirit my friend. Keep up the good fight and you'll meet a better version of yourself shortly and the days pass quicker as each days passes.

Keep it up...D
Hey Friend,
Bes tthing you can do is get off now, before your life is totally ruined. you can get your life back, you can!
Please don't take the ultram, it's just as bad.

Drink Ensure when you can't eat, I was drinking it in place of every meal for a while, and hunker down with some tv that makes you comfortable, for me I=t was chick plicks and house reruns. take care of yourself. Let us know what is going on. You can do it!
hugs,
Lily
I know everyone is different but in your opinion what day should i start seeing the diahrreah and vomiting? How long does the worst of it last? My fear is Monday and Tuesday i work 12 hours thats day 5 and 6...I am hoping by then I will come off the hump and be getting betterish. My friend told me when he detoxed and felt his worse he took a quarter of a methadone and that eased it off then he skipped the next 2 days the day after that a quarter later my fear is it will pro long the withdrawal, he stated it eased it. I have several ruptured discs and arthritis in my foot and neck, so the pain with out the ultram is unbearable, not 2 mention I have 2 move my 3 bed house in 2 days damn near by myself!!!
I will however try and take less ultram seeing now that it CAN be addictive even though my dr said it wasnt
Hey Friend,
the pain you have from the arthritis and back is nothing like the pain you will be suffering your whole life from the addiction and/or dependence to these strong horrible drugs.
There are other ways to deal with the pain.
As far as the Ultram, its not that it CAN be addictive, it IS addictive.
You want this to be the LAST WD you will ever suffer, right?

Seek out alternative pain meds, please, take my advise, years later you will wish  you did.
hugs,
Lily
What do you suggest I take that would help the pain? Is it a good idea to take imodium (immodium) if needed when it gets bad? I wonder why the withdrawals are worse with this then they were w oxy's?
Five years is a long time to use. And even though you've been forced to cut back, you've still been using. The physical detox won't be fun, but after reading your post, I think that the mental part of withdrawal will be what you find most difficult. And I'm sorry if I missed this, but are you stopping because you can't get anything, or because you want to get healthy. And what does your weight have to do with this?
After years of using a few (maybe more) of my brain cells are fried...I just am not getting the point of your post. We can help if you are ready to get clean. If you don't have a plan in place you will relapse.
K
Hey Friend,
For pain you need to see a doctor for non narcotic pain options. I also recommend a book called "Healing Back Pain" by Dr. John Sarno. It is not just for back pain, and it helped me and now I am pain free.

See Kyle's post,

hugs,
Lily
I am quiting for both reasons. Mostly because I want to I have a perscription for oxy compound that i refuse to fill and I have 7 methadone I refuse to take! Today i slept 7 hours which is better than normal but I woke up 2 dry heaves its only been 72 hours. They say it gets worse b4 it bets better than the only fear I have is having to work mon and tues. i dont know how that will pan out!!! My skin is "crawling" but no sweats as of yet and I am nauseated. I want this so bad but the fear of the unknown scares me!! My weight was given I guess because I was told it stays in ur system depending on weight I honestly have never been here and didnt realize the support i would get. I just wasnt thinking i guess! i have 2 move my WHOLE home w 1 friend this weekend then work for 2 days then i am off for 3 every day a new symptom arises it scares me.
you are doing great. make sure you stay hydrated.
for the creepy crawlys, rls  take hot baths with Epsom salts, hylands restful leg supplements, eat bananas. walking also helps.
eat light foods toast, chicken broth, yogurt, crackers.
high blood pressure is very common with opiate withdrawal, be careful with that. maybe your primary care doctor can prescribe you some clonidine it helps with the high bp and the withdrawal symptoms.
how are you feeling now?
keep the faith.....
don't anticipate just take it as it comes and treat the symptoms.
don't let fear in.
Today is 4 days. yawning and crawling dry heaves seems to be the routine. having to move my WHOLE 3 bed house virtually BY MY SELF has caused a distraction. I cant sleep more than an hour at a time tho, but its so hard 2 get up. I know i have SOOO much to do but getting moving is so hard. thanks for all the support
Just popped in to give you some support and encouragement . Day 4 is great! I can well imagine moving an entire house during this time has got to be a challenge to say the least, but your right. Before you know it you'll be on day 9 and have a brand new place to start living your new clean life. Keep up the good work. Day 5 will have you feeling much better.
u say day 5 so does my friend... others say day 10 is the worse thats what confuses me...yhanks 4 the support
At day 5 you will realize, "Oh my GOD I am doing this and at day 9 was when I started feeling like physically I was going to be alright. Keep pushing thru the mental and surrender to the physical. Just a few more days till you will really feel the euphoria of NOT being on pills. Your doing GREAT!
So were you sick on day 9 are you talking about mental euphoria and u were physically ill I know i need to stop worrying about how I will feel and how much worse it may or may not get. but I am curious. I have no mental cravings at this point everything is physical. When did the dry heaves stop for u?
One day 9 I got this euphoric feeling of energy and being balanced out. I guess they call it a pink cloud. Physically I felt my symptoms going away one by one with each day after that. The sneezing stopped, the yawning stopped, my throat opened up some. Yes, I too had the dry heaves too from a constant headaches, but a neurologist friend told me that vomiting helped release seratonin which is why many feel better after throwing up when they have a migraine. I just drank lost of fluid and told myself it was part of the process. Are you drinking alot of water (especially with alittle orange juice mixed in)? The mental is what you really have to watch out for arounf the 2 week mark. You feel so much relief that your head starts telling you....one wont hurt. I promise you this will happen so be prepared with a support system whether it is your family, this site, church, counseling etc. Just take it day by day. This is an exciting time for you. Your taking your life back and living again.
Sadly I have not been able to hold down water I try! I have been able to hold down carrot/fruit juice a little and some diet soda but water for some reason comes right back up. For you which day was the worse?
hun methadone detox lasts longer than other opiates. it does stay in your system much longer because of the long half life.
please make sure you take sips of liquid every ten minutes or so. dehydration contributes to many of the withdrawal symptoms. try to stay away from the soda. try Gatorade, the fruit juices are good.
eat some saltines.
keep moving forward. remember don't anticipate.
keep the faith......
you are doing great.
From one Methadone user to Another. I will say Just go with it. You will make it worse if you dwell on the detox part and how much time it will take. Your Body and Brain Wiring needs time to heal & balance back. OK
You are moving right along. The weak or no energy is a very normal process.Just keep doing the things that were mentioned above. Plus we need to replenish Vit/Min & Electrolyte Deficiencies. Time will be the Greatest Healer of it All.
Bless
Oh No, Just saw atthebeach's reference to methadone. I'm sorry, i misread your post and know nothing of methadone detox , only pain pills. Listen to what these other wise posters are saying. I know you can push thro. Keep reaching out for support. Have you tried popsicle's for hydration?
Day 5 started out real bad but by the end of the day NO symptoms, but by 4am today the rls crawleys and dry heaving is back, I am at work and no one knows whats going on but my skin may walk away, I am mentally feeling better just wishing this will go AWAY!! I am at day 6 and I am so over this!! I have 5 dogs a 12 hr a day job! Not to mention the PAIN!!!
Wow Heather, You are doing really good. Working a 12 hour Job too! This is good as far as re-directing your self. I guess you have no choice in the matter. Ha! Do you feel weak??? I know the pain will get a bit better too when the natural pain transmitter kick in. I am very proud of you. Just keep it up and let us know how it is going as you process.How are you doing holding down food & water? It is very important to get the Vit/Min going. I had to do liquid vit/min. I sure wish you the best. Keep in touch!
Bless
In the morning the dry heaves are the worse. I was eating 4 chicken nuggets a day water and diet soda, i know bad. I have lost a total of 10lbs in 5 days, Today I had OJ and Chex cereal, food is more tolerable, Still tastes bad, but tolerable... It seems like day 5 and 6 the detox doesnt last the whole day, by the evening it goes away then comes back around 3am...Is this normal?
Yes and it varies from person to person. I always feared the night for a long time because of sleep and tossing. I came off the Dones with the Adderral and took a Benzo at night to come down. This time I got lucky and did not have the Stomach issues nor the RLS. Oh I hate the RLS. My Anxiety was on the Moon. I have experienced many, many stages in my recovery so far. Maybe try to eat Bland food right now. Even some toast or yogurt. Get some Protein mix powder and mix it with berries water or milk. This is really good for you. You stomach might not be able to handle dairy protects right now. Not sure of your health. Juicing is really good too! I think you are coming around very well. Just keep it up. So you are not really weak yet? You might not be because of working so much.Just try to go with it, it will get better. I am happy for you.
Bless
Due to my bf..or ex I dont know going to jail and his "thugs" threatening to kill me...I have been FORCED to spend the WHOLE detox moving my 3 bed house to a 2 bed house w my 5 pit bulls, So I havnt had time 2 feel weak. Sitting behind the desk I am feeling exahusted and weak...
Oh Boy Heather, You have some big time stress in there too. This makes it so much harder on you. I am sorry to hear this. I was just wondering about the weak part because there are some vit that can help too.Stay strong my friend and do not let any of this hurt you. I hope you will be OK. The "thugs" have not touched you I hope?
Touched me NO, but there is a bullet hole in my window...of my OLD house...
the past 90 days suck but God has worked every situation out, so i think this is His way of making us closer I dont know... Why not pile more crap on me lol
my hear is also rapidly beating
heart^^
I am also REAL cold!! Working in a hospital doesnt help
Oh! Be safe Hun! My heart beat really fast for awhile too. It scared me at my age, but it can be normal during the process. Make sure you take your BP now and then while you are at the Hospital working too! Maybe talk to the Dr about this. I was very achy and cold. I would get under a heating blanket. It was like a big heating pad. This came around after I was sweaty and hot.Every thing seems to go up, down all around just like the 3 drugs I used. Ha!! Maybe you can take a few sick days off? Just so you can pamper yourself for a few days.Please stay safe.Hearing that someone had shot in your window is not good. Shoot!!! I sure hope they do not know where you are now or that they get over it and leave you alone. I am sure you called the cops back then.
Bless
Thanks I did call but no 1 was caught! UGH i want to leave work this is driving me CRAZY!! my skin!!! I hope no one notices
I love sneezing 20 times while answering the phone!! GRRR
Heather you are doing great. Drink  Lots of fluids, healthy ones. Healthy foods, take an antihistamine. Keep on keepin on.
Sending Prayers,
Debbie
Debbie,
Thank you it means a lot. Is it common for the symptoms to vanish almost completely by mid-late afternoon and reaapear in the morning?
Thats what happened yesterday I was like I am so done! Then this morning at 130ish i was back to being sick, now I feel fine...ish
yes it tends to come in waves, that is great you are at this point. the better waves will start to outweigh the bad ones.
do you have any aftercare set up? counseling, support groups, church, exercise to help prevent relapse? do you have a pastor you can counsel with?
fruits, veggies, proteins. drinking boost, ensure, protein shakes, multi vitamin all these will help rebuild your body. the exercise will help get your natural endrophins repopulating again.
have you moved your things into a new house?
has your old bf tried to contact you? it would be best to change your phone number.
GOD bless
I go to church and am joining small groups, My parents are both with God, but I have my best friend and her mom n husband. My pastor is a recovering addict hes so inspiring!! I am 95% moved in and yes he has tried to contact me from jail but cell phones can not take collect calls. I know i need 2 get away, but part of me feels so bad for him his child hood and his past caused him to be who he is now and his WHOLE world has given up on him, i didnt want to give up either, My friend at church said give it space and time and pray on it!! I am glad to hear that this is normal, Its shocking that it came on day 5/6 instead of later, esp as long as I have been using.. Now if it just goes ALL the way away!!!
thats a withdrawl (withdrawal) sign...it will b ok
Heather we can't  save people From themselves. He needs to take care of himself and do what he needs to do to receive help and healing. You need to focus on your recovery and your healing.
I am sorry you don't have your parents at such a young age. That's great you have some good friends . Your pastor will be a great help to you. So glad you attend, staying active there and clinging to the LORD will help you.
How are you feeling today?
Continued prayers and support,
Keep up the good work,
debbie
Today I was okay Went to bed at 12am and slept till 7 Which shocked me Then I took my zoloft and went back to bed till 11ish. I let the dogs out (5 pits) went grocery shopping and only bought fruit mayo and ketchup (SMH) I guess its bad to shop when ur nauseated!! Then back home and I passed out for another 2-3hrs!! I am so cold!! I am shaking all the time but in the evening I do get an appetite THANK GOD! I know I'm big but I have lost WAYYY to much weight to quickly!! Thanks for checking on me.. I've been depressed today!!
sorry you aren't feeling that great today. keep moving forward.
tomorrow will be a better day by faith.
are you staying hydrated and eating healthy foods? fruit that's great, did you eat some?
that's awesome that you slept, you will make some people envious.
praying for your healing,
Debbie
I hope you don't think I'm being a *****...I'm trying being straight with you about this Methadone detox.   If you are still taking Methadone, then the REAL withdrawal hasn't even started.  After your completely LAST dose of Methadone, wait about one week.  Then the true withdrawal symptoms will show their true colors.  Drink the regular Ensure.   Great advice.   The other types are for gaining weight and/or muscle.  And it doesn't matter if you're on 5 mg or 100 mg. It's going to be unpleasant. That's why you have to either do it all the way, or, if you are a true addict (like me) you will probably use when the going gets tough. I just hate that the clinics allow pill poppers to get on Methadone, which I've stated to them. They justify it by saying....'if it will prevent them from getting arrested, then that's why we allow it.'  Can you run away to the mountains or a deserted island for 3 months?
Good Luck Heather. I'm just speaking from my own experiences. And there's nothing better than an opiate high.  Had to say goodbye, but I think about her (opiate) every single day, even after years.
Absolutely, 100% True. Detox is not for the meek. And you need unlimited sources of positive friends and family, and you will HAVE to get out of that neighborhood.  No other way.  If you don't take all of the advice, you won't detox.  
Heather??? Please check in Hun.  How are you doing?
Sending hope, prayers. Encouragment,
Hugs
Debbie
Sorry been trying 2 keep busy, 2 nights in a row NO SLEEP RLS is driving me wild even with baths and showers!! My 4th was fun last night NOT so much!! I dont know how much longer I can do this!! I have to work this weekend I am an emotional train wreck! I dont know what to do I took 3 melatonin Robaxin (I know bad idea) tylonal and aleve all at diff times trying 2 relax and NOTHING!!! How long do I have to suffer!!! I hope i can hold on....sorry 4 the spelling
Hey Heather, I just read your status. How're you holding up? What's going on?
Whether you know it or not you've been doing TREMENDOUSLY. Keep moving forward. You don't want to have to go through this all over again! We're here..
lack of sleep rls depression regret no motivation my job everything that has happened the past 90 days, being shot at, losing my fiance after 10 years im a train wreck but my parents r w God iv failed my whole life i want this so bad but i cant take this at the same time...
It sounds like you're being hit with this all at once. I feel for you. I've been having similar experiences (massive crap-storms hitting me one right after another.) YOU ARE NOT ALONE, HEATHER. Is there anyone clean around you that you can reach out to for help?

Have you been taking lots of hot, salt baths & taking Cal/mag/potassium for the RLS? My hat is so off to you for working through this. Is there any way you could take a little time off?
Heather there is healing and hope Hun. Don't lose your hope. There is always hope. Can you go see your pasto? Are you keeping hydrated?
Are you eating? Drink Gatorade, ensure.
Our bodies can handle more than we think we can.
Keep moving forward. Don't give up.
All the emotions are normal with detox. All the suppressed emotions come flooding in. Pray, pray,pray....
Breathe , deep breathes, just to relax.
You are going to be fine. Did you try to set up any counseling yet?
GOD loves you and so do we. Did you call and talk to your friend?
We are here Hun. Keep posting, don't isolate.
Hugs and many prayers
Debbie
HI again the crap your going threw is causeing your wds to be worse, try to find a safe place to go if you can, you cant sit around and worry makes it a hell of it worse, the methadone you have left I would split them up and ween off the rest, then your wds should get better, and find a safe place to be, john
Debbie is right! We are so much stronger than we know! I know you want this so badly. And, all I can tell you is that you'll feel so much better about yourself if you push through this! Don't worry about tomorrow or the 'unknown'. Just stay in the moment. Just make it through this single moment & the next. Baby steps when you feel like this. Breathe.

By the way, you're not a 'failure'. Far From it! You've got a lot of grit! Please, don't beat yourself up. That's part of the problem for a lot of us. Instead, try to list your positive qualities & think of the good things you've done in the past & what you might be able to do in the future as the clean 'new you'. Keep your eye on the prize, my friend! HOLD FAST!
thankyou everyone, im eating a lil better i picked up bananas, i swear the neighbors must think i dont know the difference between a gun n fire works!!, my dogs r freaking!! sorry, i couldnt find potassium i am taking multi vitamins i cant take time off just yet the schedule is made months in advance i am off mon-wed so just the weekend i wrk 3-4days a week 12 hrs a day.. my ac is out n its sooo hot in here!!!
thank u everyone again it means so much 2 know ppl care i have an apt w the pcp mon @ 1045 n i have been w my best friend whose sober today n her hubby n baby so i could forget things n not dwell sorry i disappeared i had 2 go
WOW, just reading my first post...
Reminds me of a PLACE I never want to go again...Reminds me I am LOVED...and honestly I am GLAD I decided to post!! THANK YOU ALL for everything every kind word, I will NEVER forget this!!
LOVE YOU ALL
Yep  wow !!!    You have come a long way  ;))
Wow Heather, I was just reading thru this whole post & it amazes me!!!....you my girl have come soooooo far!!...this gives me real hope!!!....so HAPPY for u Hun!!!  XXOO