Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What do I need to expect when w/d'ing from long term Suboxone use?...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What do I need to expect when w/d'ing from long term Suboxone use?

I've been on suboxone for a year this month.  Before this, I was on a methadone maintanance program for about 5 years.  The switch from methadone to Suboxone went about as well as it could have possibly went.  I only had about 2 1/2 days of methadone w/d's before i was able to switch to suboxone, then I was "better" from there on out.  Over the last year I've tapered myself down from about 8 mgs's of suboxone to now taking about 1 mg per day.  I take about 1/2 mg in the a.m & 1/2 at around dinner time.  How far should I keep tapering down before I jump off?  I know 1mg may not seem like much, but right now, to me it is.  I have a nine year old & four year old & am very active with my kids.  My son plays sports & I'm pretty much "the soccer mom" with a secret suboxone addiction.  I can't afford to be totally down with w/d's, so what is everyone's advice on this?  Just keep titrating my dose in 1/2 til there's none left?  Does anyone have any experience coming off of suboxone at a very low dose?  Are the w/d's alot less severe if I titrate down this far?  I want to be off of this very soon.  Don't have a specific date, but definitely w/in a few weeks if possible.  I'd like to hear about people's experince similar to mine.  Did it work well for you to titrate down to almost nothing first?
At the Waismann Method Treatment we see patients that have not been able to wean off, but there is a lot of patients that do. How one deal with discomfort is very different from others. Metabolism and psychological stability plays a huge role as well. You sound like you are someone with a very full productive life and have not allow your dependency to stop you from your responsibilities. So in my opinion , I would say , if anyone can beat it, would be someone like you. Best of luck...