Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What do u know about BACLOFEN (LIORESAL)?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

My Dr just prescribed me this medication for back spasms. Are they Euphoric as in get me high to the point of abusive traits? SInce I just came off Methadone - I dont need something liket that?
Only thing I know about it is, I cant stop this medication suddenly, its a taper drung.

Thx all.

X~
Xsane this drug doesn't look like there is a potenetial for abuse, but if used over a prolong period it must be tapered. If you have a problem with this drug talk to your doctor and tell him your concerns. Also do some research on it below is a link describing this drug:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lioresal

Rick
Baclofen enhances the action of GABA on neurons so it turns down nerve impulses.   It's not generally regarded as having high abuse potential but does seem to hit that spot for some.  Alcohol also acts on GABA for example so alcoholics may be prone to abuse baclofen.

I have a close relative who o'd on her prescribed baclofen & ended up in a coma so it's not a drug that you want to take more than prescribed.

It can be effective as an antispasmodic, so worth a try as long as you proceed with caution.

It needs to be tapered from as all do all GABA acting drugs, (e.g.anti-seizure meds; alcohol; benzos) as a sudden change in GABA levels can trigger seizures.

Best wishes.
I took it for years, never felt a thing.  Not sure it even helped w/ the muscle spasms, actually.  But I didn't take more than was prescribed.  That might give you a buzz; I suppose most things do if you take enough of them.  But if you take it as prescribed you should be ok.  Soma is the muscle relaxer to avoid - it does give you a high, & is considered highly addictive.
Hey thanks everyone. I really appreciate the background. I myself had been trying to read up on it and couldn't come up with anything of an issue either.
The whole Coma and Seizure thing bothers me though - haha, dont want either of those to happen, but I'll try and stick with the prescribed dosage and instructions...

thx
I saw a documentary on a pay channel (hbo) about addiction 2 years ago, and they stated that baclofen had the potential to help addicts control thier addictive behavior, and at that point it was still in the testing stages for that use. I talked to a drug and alcohol counselor about the documentary right after I saw it, and he confirmed that it was being tested and was sometimes helpful in controlling addictive behavior. Just something that I saw on baclofen a few years ago and wanted to pass on.
Ive been reading a lot about that as well. My prediction is though, that if it keeps Alcoholics at bay, there must be some sort of element of Mood altering effect? Atleast I would think?
I'll find out soon enough, will be picking up my script in a couple hours...
The reason it can work for alcoholics is the GABA effect which has a similar chemical pathway to the one in alcohol.   For this reason, it is also more prone to be abused by people who have had problems with alcohol. Taken at prescribed doses, it can ward off alcohol cravings with minimal side effects.

I hope it helps with your back pain.

is baclofen considered a narcotic, will it show up on a drug tox panel?