Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What do you know about Lyrica?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What do you know about Lyrica?

My husband finally called from rehab.  He is leaving detox today and going to inpatient therapy tomorrow.  He told me he is doing "good" but his back is hurting him terribly.  (His back injury was the original cause for going on oxy's).  He told me they are going to give him Lyrica tonight.  I freaked out and called his nurse.  She assured me that Lyrica is non addictive, not a controlled substance and they have never seen any reproductive harm.  I said ok, for now.  Then she told me that I was going to have my hands full because nothing would remove his back pain like the oxys and he would either have to accept some level of pain, or he would go back to them.  Please give me some hope here.  Have we spent all this money, lost his job (probably) and done this huge thing all for nothing?  I know my husband and he will not live with pain for very long.  Will the Lyrica work??   HELP!
I took lyrica for fibromylgia (fibromyalgia), I had side effects of excessive weight gain and my hands and feet swelled badly. the nurse is wrong they are very addictive. you go through w/d when you stop them. or at least I did. take care, keep in touch
You go through w/d on lyrica? Its not an opiate. ???? What is a dose amount for pain?
-peace
D
First, I'm not a doctor, so I don't want to give advice - just information. I also have Fibromyalgia and am taking Lyrica. Lyrica was developed for diabetic neurapathy,  then authorized for treating FMS. I have a lot of other issues that cause pain (ddd, spinal stenosis, severe arthritis) and I've taken a lot of pain meds and gone through withdrawl (withdrawal) for things like Hydrocodone, Percocet, and even Methadone. Second only to Methadone, Lyrica was the worst to withdraw from! Having said that, I'm am back on Lyrica because it does help my pain. I think the trick with Lyrica is to start out at a low dose and step it up gradually. I started with 25mg and did not get any relief until I got up to 125mg. When I went over 125 I got head aches. But I know a lot of people who take 300mg of Lyrica. Everyone is different, but like scaredmom said, some people have had bad side effects from Lyrica. Honestly, the thing that helped my pain most was the Methadone - I got off of it because I am hoping a neuro-stimulator will help my back pain. If it doesn't I might go back on the Meth, but I will only go back on it if I decide that I'm going to be on it the rest of my life. I never want to go through Meht w/d again! When I was taking it, though I felt normal. I did not have pain, I did not get a "buzz" from the Meth, I had more energy, and my mood was better. It was a wonder drug, but reading the post about it scared me and I decided to get off of it until I have the stim test. I wish you luck with your husband and hope this post helps.
the chemical name for lyrica is pregabalin it is a more potent predecessor for the anti-epileptic and neuragia pain medication gabapentin.it is mainly prescribed for neuralgia pain, fibromyalgia, and restless leg syndrome. .it acts on the GABA neurotransmitters and other parts of the brain having unique effects..it does not cause for most people euphoria(less than 5% get euphoria at large doses), craving for the want to do it non stop, and has a very low abuse potential,.it is a schedule V drug meaning it has the lowest abuse and addiction potential but it still can be seen as a drug that can possibly misuse..some  teenagers and adult addicts can use it in very high doses as a mild relaxant and to ease opiate wd and the restlessness that comes with it...it really doesnt pose to many threats for recreational abuse, it really isnt considered a "fun" drug or a drug commonly sought after at all,  so i really wouldnt worry about your husband becoming addicted to it or abusing it, he will be medically supervised and will help ease the pain of opiate wd..-christos
Great info! I take it at 75mg and it puts me to sleep. It works ok to take the edge off w/d and recover some sleep. But not a miracle drug at my dose. I have enough problems with my DOC, I don't want to turn up the Lyrica levels. It helps with the spasims in my feet alot! Thanks for the info post.
-Dez
Thank you for all the help.  Your post, Christos, was very helpful.  I am praying it works for my husband's back pain.  Depending on what was happening, he would say his back pain is a nagging, annoying pain or a horrible, unbearable pain.  It was always much worse when he was trying to convince me he needed another pill.  Honestly, after church this morning, I was rested, left it at the alter, trusting God about his jo, his health, everything... and then Satan decides to test me and I fall right in and panic.  I can't eat, I can't think straight...  Sheesh, I'm like 105 pounds to start with and already my jeans are falling off me.  I have GOT to FROG (fully rely on God)
There are 2 forums ( one is the Addiction forum, the other is the Chronic Pain forum)where you can post questions and they are answered by a physician who specializes in addiction. Maybe he can help you with your questions. Take care........
Unfortunately, sometimes because of legitimate pain there is no choice but to prescribe opiates if the person is to have any quality of life.  If I remember correctly, you said in your original post that your husband was snorting the oxys, wasn't he?  If that was the case, and if the Lyrica isn't helpful, they do now make a new type of oxy that is unable to be snorted.  If your husband ends up needing the oxy to get any appreciable relief from his pain, talk to the doctor about these.  They were developed specifically because so many people started snorting the oxys, so these might be an option for him.

Ghilly
When I went to the pain dr, they did a drug screen before they would fill my RX.  By the by, the drug screen was for 13 different things, my insurance did not cover, and so my drug screen bill with the dr visit  was $900.00. Yes you read that right.  I took it in to the dr himself and told him I would not be paying for anymore drug tests, so i he did not want to treat me to please give me enough to get through 2 months of pain control so I could find another doc.  Where am I going here?  One of the things they looked for on the drug panel was Lyrica.  The pharmacy tells me it is not additive, however, the tv ads tell you if yu have a history of addiction, do not take.  This all confuses me.
I have fibromyalgia and have been taking Lyrica for years now.  Lyrica in conjunction with Savella is the only drug combination that helps my pain.  I had to stop taking Lyrica for a short time and had NO withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  To be honest, for me; Lyrica saved my life.  I am 47 now and have been fighting fibromyalgia since I was 14.  I have tried most every anti-depressant, anti-convulsant, and narcotic available.  Nothing has been as effective as Lyrica and all I can say is give it a try; you might be (and I hope so) as thrilled as I am; which is saying something after living with fibromyalgia for most of my life.