Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What have you guys done for sleeping?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What have you guys done for sleeping?

Ok,
I was wondering has anyone here made it though a complete night sleep yet? I am on Day two and just started my tapering from my Dr. instructions. Last night i tried Nyquil and a melatonin pill to help me sleep. Well it did knock me out for about 5 hours than i woke up with RLS and anxiety. Now i need to know what else can i try to sleep through the night. I noticed i was better this morning with more sleep. My friend is going to help me with some of his Valrium Root. Has anyone heard of this stuff. Supposedly what he told me it a chemical that helps calm the nerves down a little bit. So please if anyone can help just let me know and i will be so pleased.
Hi~  Yes...Valerian Root.  Take it with Melatonin.  5 hours sleep is pretty good,though!

Do you take antidepressants?   If so,nix the Melatonin...

Vicki
Hey honey!  I hate to be the one to say this, but if you are on day 2 of tapering, and you got 5 hours, that is AWESOME!!!  When you stop the pills completely, you may have some trouble sleeping, but 5 hours is great!  The valerian may work.  Nyquil is what I usually tell people.  What pills were you on again?
You're lucky to have gotten all the hours of sleep you've had! I took magnesium last night, but not too much. Its good for calming you down.  Vicki is right about the melatonin, and also Gaba helps. All you need is a teaspoon. Hope this helps!
vicki595: No i don't take antidepressants. See i started taking pills because i have really bad ADHD and it calmed me down. So that's why i think i wanted to keep going i could complete stuff and finish it you know?

tramahater: I was on Vicodine, Oxycodine, Oxycotin, Morphine
but the morphine usually gave me heart burn so never liked it. But i usually ran from 6 to 10 even 12 pills a day and mixing them all. About 40-60 Mg Vicodine, 30-45 Oxycodine and usually 10-30 mg's of Oxycotin.

showsover: Honestly i think it was the mixture of Nyquil and Melatonin because after i woke up at 3:30am i couldn't sleep again so i took half a dose of Nyquil and it helped for the next three hours of sleep.
Valerian Root and Melatonin helped me a TON also, Nyquil never did me any good.. for some reason it would make me more anxious? Strange I know.. but I do stand by Melatonin, I still take it on occasion when I'm having a hard time falling asleep. If an hour or so passes by and I still haven't slept I get up, take 3mgs, and make sure ALL the lights are off in the house and I usually fall asleep with no problems. 5 hours is good though, I remember not sleeping at all, ZERO hours... hope it gets better for you soon.There is also something called Alteril, from WalMart, or whatever drugstore, it's a great combo of Melatonin, Valerian Root, and some other herbs I can't think of right now. That worked the best for me early on. Hang in there, it will get better! Best wishes :)
I came off of VicodinES 145 days ago and sleep was hard to come by. I was also hooked on 10MG of Ambien per night, and used it while I was coming off of Vicodin. Now, since the middle of March, I've been on an Ambien taper program. I'm completely done in less than 2 weeks. Needless to say, based on my experience, stay away from Ambien or any Z-drugs!! It's much harder to come off of than most opiates. It's a long, long taper program to go through.

All of the OTC sleep aids mentioned above, other than Nyquill (just personal), are great and non-addicting. Valerian Root as directed has worked well for me while on my Ambien Taper program.  I take Valerian, yogi bedtime tea, and SleepMD cap (which contains Melatonin). Calms Forte also helps sometimes. Calms is good for WD anxiety, at least for me.

Wish you the best!