Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What is Co-Codamol?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What is Co-Codamol?

I am very concerned for my son. He just turned 20 and has had some really bad luck lately. He has been DX with ADD and takes Adderal XR 20 MG two tabs daily in the morning with 15 mg short acting tabs as need later in the day. He also takes Depakote 2000 mg daily in the morning to help with his blow ups and anger control. I recently found 10 empty Co-codamol 8/500 mg tablet wrappers in his pants while doing laundry as well as multiple tiny Zip Lock bags. He often speaks about getting sticks of Xanax on the street to help handle his anxiety and also openly admits to smoking "Blunts" regularly. I am concerned about this new medication I found in his pocket as I am not sure what it is. I did research and found it is a Codiene and Acetaminophen preparation. I am very worried about the interaction of all of these substances. I approach him aboput this and he blows up threatening to hurt himself and punches walls and cabinets. I walk on eggs around him and avoid topics that need to be addressed in fear of his reaction. I do not know what to do next. He has been in counseling and also has had bouts with the law. I fear he will end up in jail, institutionalized or even worse, DEAD.> He has cut himslef and threatened to kill himself. He says he hatews being home. I do not think his friends or girlfriend help matters. I am lost and have no idea what to do next. I live in a Mother Daughter home with my father who has told me he does not want him living here. He will not go live with his Dad as they do not get along. I own a house that is vacant for re-modeling that was put on hold for financial reasons as I ended up having to pay for attroneys, tickets and sur charged to bail him out of trouble. He has broken into the home. Had parties and I am now missing valuables that were still kept there. He blows up when I take his key to that hoiuse away saying I don't trust him. It isn't necessarily him, but those he hangs with. He leaves the house open and anyone can get in. I am desparate for some guidance in how I can help him yet not enable him,. PLEASE!
Thanks!
SCAREDMOM61
As a mom, you only want the best for your children. But there comes a point in time when you have to give tough love. Sounds like you are there. He is 20 and there is only so much you can do. You can let him know you are there for him and maybe find some treatment centers that can help him and offer that to him. But bottom line, you must protect yourself and your daughter (i think you said you had one, is that correct?). Until he is ready to help himself, there really is nothing you can do but just keep telling him you love him. I would also take the keys away and tell him "yes, I do not trust you when you are under the influence of drugs". When he is taking drugs, it is the drugs that are causing him to make poor choices. You need to protect yourself. Do not give up but I would think tough love the only route to go, IMO. My prayers go out to you and your son.