Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What is L-Tyrosine and how does it help for opiate W/D?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hey everyone I saw the product L-Tyrosine was useful in detox from opiates and was wondering what excatly it is?? I am going to be coming off the suboxone soon and thought it would be a good source to help me through.  However, I don't know what it its or where to get it loL!! Is it a vitamin? Please help...I am so serious about getting myself well and want to do anything and everything to increase my chances of staying sober :)
l tyrosine is a vitamin yes and what it does is help out with your energy and is actually in most any energy drink or shot you can find but it also comes just by itself in a pill form that you can get at a vitamin store walmart and cvs or stores like that do not carry it or at least they dont where i live but any vitamin or health food store should carry it i used it and it did help with my energy but i liked 5 hour power energy shot better but what i like might not work for you
well good luck and i hope this helped

ABritt
Hi!  Congratulations on your choice of getting sober!  You have already passed a huge hurdle in your choice to be sober.  Of course the next step will be to stop the drug/s.  
During your detoxing phase, I want to stress how important it is for you to research as much as possible about inpatient or outpatient facilities that can help you get through this while being in a safe place for your health.  If you have no insurance, I completely understand.  Then being a member of this site will help you greatly.  God Bless you, and I wish you lots of success in your journey for sobriety.

I got this information from a vitamin website called e-vitamins.  There is a whole lot more information to find about l-tyrosine on the internet whenever you get the chance to look it all up.
Apparently, not only is it necessary in our bodies, but it seems to help the produciton of dopamine, which in the brain gives us good feelings.  I would recommend it for w/d and perhaps all the time as well.  I hope this helps.

L-tyrosine is a nonessential amino acid (protein building block) that the body synthesizes from phenylalanine, another amino acid. Tyrosine is important to the structure of almost all proteins in the body. It is also the precursor of several neurotransmitters, including L-dopa, dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine.

How to Use It
Most people should not supplement with L-tyrosine. Some human research with people suffering from a variety of conditions used 100 mg per 2.2 pounds of body weight, equivalent to about 7 grams per day for an average-sized person. The appropriate amount to use in people with PKU is not known, therefore, the monitoring of blood levels by a physician is recommended.

Where to Find It

Dairy products, meats, fish, wheat, oats, and most other protein-containing foods contain tyrosine.

Possible Deficiencies
Some people affected by PKU are deficient in tyrosine. Tyrosine levels are occasionally low in depressed people.14 Any person losing large amounts of protein, such as those with some kidney diseases, may be deficient in several amino acids, including tyrosine.15
I'm using as well while im tappering off the suboxone... I helps ur nervous system....it helps me for the saky feeling