Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
What's the best way to ween off hydrocodone/lortab 7.5?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What is the best way to ween off hydrocodone/lortab 7.5? I took 6 per day and went down to 4 a day. I have taken 4 each day for the last 7 days. Should I drop a pill each week? Would dropping a pill every 2 weeks make for easier w/d? I have been taking the pills for est. 5 years. Thanks.
Tags: Addiction
It takes your body about 3 days to feel adjusted to a ween off...And then about a week to adjust to it...and then wont completly throw your body completly off track...

I hope that helps some....

I would write more welocme, I jsut dont have much pateince today!! but welcome and keep reading, more ppl around that have other advise taht worked for them....

everyone is different...

C
I have never done it but I know how I have adjusted when I had to do it and I would say do it as slowly towards the end as u can.  If u have enough pills to spread it out, do that.  I think the shorter the drop - the easier - everytime if u can.  That's just what I think, like I said, I wish I had the willpower to do that, so good for you.  Are u wanting off them b/c your sick of taking them, or are u scared u may get addicted?  just womdering, b/c u sound completely in control and that is great.  Whatever works for u, and it may be different.  If u notice that it is too much when u do it next time and u have enough, go back up a 1/2 and see if that works.  Let your body tell u what works - I think.  
anyway, I hope u get the answers u need here.  let me know if I can do anything else for u.  Im leaving now but will be back later.

sincerely,
tracy
I am off of the hydros/lortab too.  I did a very quick taper because I was running out of pills.  Listen to Oxy.  She gives good advice.  If I read her right she said to do about 8 days in a taper down dose and then go down again.  It would have been a lot easier if I had done that instead of waiting till the end.  Just a friendly warning...do it now while you have plenty to work with.
Mominstress, good to hear you.  You were mighty quiite today.  

I agree with you --Plan Ahead!  I did a brutal taper, but survived. It seemed least painful, I think, If I only stretched the schedule (hours between pills) a little at a time, but, dropped the mg's per dose every so many days.  I broke a lot of pills in half!

Day ten clean though....WooHoo!

Hi,girl.  I'm not sure about the weaning or tapering off, so I'm just as crious as you and interested to see what the others say who've had experience with this.  I, too, have taken lortab 10's (10/500's), two per day, sometimes another 1/2 per day or on occasion even 3 a day, but I hav taken them for probably 6 years.  Long time to have that stuff in my body ALLTHE TIME.  I just took my last one on Sunday morning, and since I have no more and I have to find a new neurologist, I'm not sure if or when I'll get them.  I'd prefer to taper (I think I do better that way), but I may not have that option.  Very, very specific tapering schedules are fantastic but sometimes hard to come by.  We have to listen to those here who really know.  Best of luck to you!   Kim
I am trying to get off of them for 3 reasons: I am sick and tired of going to the dr. and getting scripts, I'm sick of hiding them from my husband (he has no clue I even take them, although I take them for a legitimate reason, prosthetic leg), and I am trying to get pregnant. I realize that I am taking a lot less than the other people in these forums, and that's a relief. I just know that it's going to get worse. I feel I am already addicted to them. You know, since I used to take 1 a day, then went up to 2, then 3, etc... Reading the feedback has been VERY helpful.
Thanks for the advice. I have plenty of pills left, about 70 pills and a refill of 120. So obviously I have plenty to "taper" with. I'm thinking the slower the better. I was thinking about going down a pill every two weeks. Is that better than 8 days, or should I do the 8 days? Thanks!!
Well this is the first time I have ever told anyone I am addicted. I have been taking lortab 5/500 mg for the last 7 years. I take 4 pills every day. My husband has no idea that I take them either. I really want to stop taking them but i am not sure of the best way to do it. The problem is that I have never ran out or had to worry about it. I have checked into some detox programs but they are very expensive 10,000 for 30 days. Well I wish you luck and if anyone has any advice that could help I would appreciate it. Thanks..
you are on an old thread so click back to forum button and repost your questions.  tons of people here to support you and help.  congrats for admitting your problem.  that is the beginning.  now it's time to get strong and stay here and read read read so you can get educated.  everyone will love and support you any way they can.   good luck!!!
i am in the same boat or was,i finally told my husband and iam on suboxon but its so expensive,cant afford it but its working does anyone have any suggestions on getting help to pay for it?
well hello, i can say that i have gotten addicted to lortabs. I want to stop taking them so bad, its bad on my body and it is really hurtin my relationship cause it makes me moody, i am tired of hiding them from the person that i love and i really just want to get back to my old self the person before the lortabs. If anyone has any advice on the best way to stop taking them i would really appreciate it, I take lortab 10s twice and sometimes three times a day for the past year.
This is a really old post and I'm afraid that your question will get lost. Please go to the top of this page and hit "post a question" and then ask away!! You will get alot of responses if you do it this way.
Welcome to the forum!! Lots of good people here with lots of good advice!!
If you want to quit then quit. I have been through it several times and I have always quit cold turkey. I was taking about 10 to 15 a day and just quit cold turkey. This is my 4th day and feel pretty good. Its all about the will you have and how much you want to quit. You can listen to all this and scare you but If you want to quit its Pretty EASY QUIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am trying to ween myself off the hydrocodone 10/325 but the cravings and withdrawls are so strong. I ran out of hydro's and only have 5 left! I was taking almost 14 a day!! what do i do? I am scared of the reaction i might have because i was taking so much.... the last 3 days i averaged about 10 a day.. I have a couple methadone pills...if i take those..is there any chance i will come out on the other side with less with draws because my body has already undergone not having the hydrocodone while on the methadone? Can anyone help? Does anyone know?
bella ive been on norco/10-325 for 2+ years. only 20 years old. I Have a rod from my knee to ancle and pins in my hand.  im at 9-12 norcos a day . ive been trying to taper down but had no luck. Methadone will help(but its addictive as well) but my suggestion is SUBOXONE. Easy to get FROM A FDA APPROVED DOC, my g/f got ahold of some for me; 8mgs and they reduce cravings drastically. If you have the means track some down, SEE AN APPROVED DOC AND STICK WITH IT.  

ALWAYS REMEMBER PEOPLE CAN HELP; BUT ONLY YOU CAN QUIT!
I too am hooked on the pills and tryed to stop. And can't I just want my life back to stop trying to find some or be worried that I cant do something because i dont have the pills to do it when before i could just do it and not worrie about it. I am out or controll . but there is hope my sister took about ten pills a day and went to kaiser's rehab program and took a pill that took the detox down about 100% and she has been clean about five mounths the drug is called suboxone i think and she said that they weened her down to 1/2 a pill before thay took them away
yeah lots of people here know about sub, i have never takin it. But you are doing the right thing by accepting you have a problem, thats cool and cool to here allways, you can not get clean untill you accept. You should try to quit on your own before resorting to the sub. I know you prob scared of w/ds and you have reasons to be, they are not fun, but they do not last forever. few $
1)what kind of pills
2) how long you been taking
3)how many you take.
If you take alot  or something real strong and can handle a taper that is prob not a bad option, i could just never control my habit enough to do a taper. If you do not take alot or take a weaker narcotic you can go cold turkey, its hard, but quik. Do you work and if so can you manage to get a few days off
I have been prescribed to Lortab 10/500 for about 3 years now.  I have actually been taking them for about the past 4 years.  I am supposed to take 4 per day but, (just like this weekend), I took 10-12 per day.  I am so sick & tired of wondering if my wife will find out, what she will do, will she leave me?, what about my kids?  I have to get off of these devil pills.  I have the prescription for an injury that crushed vertebrate in my back when I was 18.  I am now 28.  
I am so sick & tired of having to take these meds to feel "normal".  
Does anyone have any advice on how to beat this problem without going to rehab, clinic, or taking time off of work?  I don't have anymore paid days off of work & Christmas is only 26 days away.  
I really don't want my wife or kids to see me going through withdrawels.  
Also, I have a prescription for Xanax.  I used to take about 4-5 per day of those but since I got the lortabs, I seemed to ween myself off of the Xanax, down to 1/4 of one per day.  Maybe every other day.  
Does anyone have any home remidies or anything proven to work for my situation?  
God Bless!  Keep my in your prayers!
I have been on hydro 10/325 as many as 4 per day because I have spurs on my spine several around my neck which causes my fingers to be numb. I have aurther in my hips and knees ( got run over by a car in 1986)complete acl recon on my right knee and know need hip and knee replacement. I'm a 55 year old male and I have been on muscle relaxers and hydro for the last 5 years and just about to break the habit.I have a few pills left but trying my best to go cold turkey..This Tuesday morning @4.:30 am (stopped taking them Saturday) and reading all of your inquiries has made realize I'm not alone.The hardest thing I'm finding is the pain in my legs. But I'm GOING TO KICK IT PERIOD..With the help of GOD and friends it will be OK. I will keep you posted.. bobo4467
I have been taking Lortab for about 2 years, I have severe pain in my neck and back. My doctor says it is because of how I handle stress and I have knots in my neck from all of the stiffness. It goes down into my back. I have to work to support my family and they really do help get me through my long days at work and I also drive 65 miles one way so sitting in the car this long does not help me either. I have tried physical therapy and have been to the chiropractor.  The pills do make me feel better, I have to take 2 in the morning and I take 1 every couple hours thereafter.  So around 8 per day. I do office work and never miss work because of this and they DO make me feel better and help alot.  Nothing else does and I am allergic to aspirin so this is out.  I also have Skelaxin to take 3 times per day but not sure if I think they really help. I really do not feel any different while taking them and it never effected my job at all.  Is this bad? Are there long term side effects?
This is my first post ever discussing my problem with Hydrocodone.  I have a back problem that caused me to be prescribed these pills.  It started off with 3/ 500mg per day and I mentioned to my doctor that they were losing their effectiveness with the intentions of finding out how to get off the drugs without having the with drawls (which I did attempt and the pain, upset stomach etc. was unbearable.)  So I just took more to stop the with drawls.  Now he has increased my dosage to 10mg 4x a day and I cheat most days and take more when I hurt more leading to a shortage my the end of the month.  What can I ask for to help me not suffer the w/d so bad even if I tell him I want off of them.  He has told me I have 2 choices, hurt or don't hurt.  I said don't hurt and he hands me another six month RX.  I am at the point where I feel lost and find myself thinking things that I shouldn't.  Detox is out of the question. I hate this drug and I want off of them (after 4 years now) without w/d. I hate feeling this way so what should I do?
I just spent about 30 minutes writing my life story and experience with addiction to pain pills.  It was way too long so I just held down backspace to get to the meat.

Here is the bottom line.  Some of us can't take pain pills without it taking us.  Tell your loved ones, take a week of sick days, and flush them all down the toilet right now.  The withdrawal is horrible but it only lasts about a week for the part you think you may die.  Then it is like having a horrible flu for a week.  Then a hangover for a week.

Drink lots of water and force yourself to eat plenty the whole time.  You won't want to but just open mouth, chew, swallow good foods.

About halfway into week two (the flu week) walk for 15 minutes and do push ups and sit ups for 15 minutes.  It will suck.  Then add 5 minutes and different exercises every day to both until you are up to 30 and 30.

The drugs have made your body forget how to handle pain.  You will need to learn how again.  You just have to take it.

With the exercising, eating right, and letting your body get used to regulating the pain you will be OK.  I have five fused vertebrae in my mid to lower back, a rod holding my collar bone together, screws pins and plates in my left arm for what you could call an elbow,  a deterioration where they took bone out of my hip for my back, and nine healed fractures in my feet.

I took everything from Vicodin to Oxycontin and then it took me.  I was a self made millionaire at 33 and lost everything except my wife and kids because I stopped lying and told them, asked for forgiveness, and promised I would not kill myself with these drugs and would get back to the old me.

It took a decade but I am back and for all the right reasons.  Weaning doesn't work, meetings don't work, rehabs don't work.  You have all the power.  Decide to do it and do it, period.

Tell your Doctor your are an addict and will hold him liable if he continues to write you prescriptions.  Flush the pills, exercise and eat right, take the pain, and tell the truth.  If you don't it will take your soul.

Good luck and God bless you.  It's a beast, but after you slay it, everything else in life is easy.

hello,i am 26 years old,with 4 kids,i started takin norco about 6 years ago.the doctor writes me 135 a month.i supposes to take 4-5 a day,but i dont.i tke up 30-40 daily.my meds last me only about 4 days.when i run out im always looking to buy.i spend at least up to 1000. dollars a month on pills .i really want to stop,but i cant.i have to take them just to feel normal,not even to get high anymore.since my mom passes,its got worse,iwant to quit,but i dont,i love the feeling,someone please tell me what i can do to stop cold turkey..........
At the qty. you are at...cold turkey would be too risky because of the effects it has on your body. Your blood pressure would jump up and down, and could drop or raise to the point to where you slip into a coma in your sleep, or worse, due to the strong withdrawals from a 100% break off from them! This however DOES NOT mean that you can't take yourself off of them! The best way to do it at the level you are at is to get a calendar, start at the beginning of a week and plot yourself out a 4 week plan. Get your legal prescription filled, and start with a full script. Take your first week and plot out a plan for each day (Sun-Sat) and take the min. amount that you can take and still function for each day well enough to tend to your children! This doesn't mean take enough to be in a good mood, just take enough so you can physically get up and make sure they are taken care of and have what they need for each day. Week 2, start backing off 1/2 a pill a day from your min. qty you decided on in week 1. Week 3, drop it a pill a day from where you left off in week 2. Week 4, only take 1/2 a pill when you have fought as hard as you can through out each day and come to a point that you just can't take it. Hopefully, by the end of week 4, your body will have taken big enough leaps each week that you can safely handle the withdrawals that will be the result of your lowest qty's in week 4. This will still not be easy! But will be FAR safer then stopping cold turkey @ the high qty. you are at. Just remember, when you are at your worst moments, that nothing worth having is easy to obtain. And your life and your children are definitely worth having! So FIGHT and conquer! I wish you the best of luck! Stay strong and get your life, health, and money back under control! I hope this helps you in some way......  :)

***...Also, before you even start, delete all numbers of those whom you've illegally obtained the extra narcotics from, and break your friendships off with anyone that has been an enabler in your addiction. You are only human and it will be too difficult for you to resist any temptations during your tapering, as well as long after. Clearing your association with these toxic people is as crucial to your recovery as getting off the actual pills themselves!
Bmwbeachbum7 sounds like they know what they are talking about. As I say on my profile, any advice I give is not professional advice and I insist on people talking to doctors before taking it if they decide to do so. One thing I would like to point out is that the liver can only take so much. Taking the amount of pills you are taking has to be damaging your liver. Please, get help. I am asking you to safely end the problem, and would like to add that while I am not suggesting you take it, some studies have shown that milk thistle can help cleanse the liver. This does NOT mean I am saying taking the pills is ok if you take milk thistle, and you NEED to talk to a doctor first before taking milk thistle. I am just pointing out that if a doctor says it is safe for you, after you are able to kick the habit, milk thistle might be able to help get your liver better.
I wish i could get off hydrocodone completly but sometimes seems impossible.I went almost 8months clean and then started right back with it again.I have been abusing hydrocodone for about 9to10yrs.now and every time I stop it seems like I always go back.I was clean for almost 8 months and now I'm right back and I don't even know how to control it.I know it is really a mind game but how in the hell do you make it go away or atleast make it easier trying to quit taking the pills.Any good advicce out there please let me know.I have know insurance so usually rehab is out of the question cause it cost so much money and I can't afford it,and then you've got to wonder is rehab really gonna help if you like this drug that way cause it's gonna be there waiting when you leave rehab and return home it's gonna be right back in your face.At the point that I don't know what to do any more.PLEASE HELP any great suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Hope all has A wonderful day.GOD BLESS US ALL.................
This thread is old and no one's going to see your post Mr. fag. Please start a new thread for yourself and post it on the forum. You will get more responses that way.

Also, changing your screen name might help...just saying...
I am seven  months pregnant and i take 10/325 norcos. I need to taper myself off quick or i will loose my baby when it is born. Can someone please tell me what the best way to wean myself off  would be. PLEASE HELP!
Jmama-   Go to the top of this page and click on "post a question". That way you can start your own posting.  

Have you asked your doctor for a taper plan?
Well I have read a lot of stuff on here that has educated me, I have been on Lortabs for about 2+ years and started on low doses but now I'm taking up to 15 10's a day... I have been wanting to stop for a while and have ran out before and the come down with tabs is much worse to me then when I had come off of meth after using that for 6+ years... I have about 50 left and can't go get another script for about 2 weeks... What does anyone think I should do? Thanks for the help....
its not so easy to quit I watched my daughter last night feel like she was dying it is a physical pain feels like her heart is gonna burst out of her chest she was on oxys and i went and got her tabs to help anyone got any suggestion
i have been taking norco for about 2 years now. At the beginning i would take them to relax. it started with around two a day. i have never told anyone this but i never had a prescription. i used to get them from my mother. When she wouldnt give them to me or i wanted more, I would steal them from her. She would start to notice so I would get them from my step father as I found out he was taking them also. I have never really taken drugs but these really caught me off guard. I climbed to roughly 10 or 15 in a day or two. It would give me energy and keep my mind off of the stressful things unaware it actually took my mind off of everything. I took a stand about five months ago and took a "vacation" to a hotel with my ex husband who called one day and i was honest with him and he helped me detox. i had a horrible time sleeping, no energy, I puked sweated, my body jerked all night long with full kicks by the restless legs. diarhea (diarrhea) but i did it and was so proud of myself. needless to say it didnt last long, a week or so, but I started again! i have lost everything. i have 3 kids that see mommy isnt the same mommy, i have mood swings and I just need 2 or three to function for the day, im only taking that much now because i cant get any more, I would quit if I had the time but with 3 kids its hard. I cry about it daily, i want to qit, its a big secret between me and my mother, step father and aunt because i found out she also takes them. im pissed I ever did it in the first place. I know what im going to go through again when I detox but im actually scared to go through the WD again. If I told you what ive been through with these stupid pills you wouldnt believe me. This is the first time ive read posts and different stories about what others have been though, i will start tomorrow, i have no choice. I need to get back to me. my kids need me more than ever. please pray i can do this. exercise gatorade.. im ready!  
I have been taking hydro,s for about five yrs now and want to quit Ive got an appt to see a pain management clinic Dr what is going to happen now?Please any help will be apreciated
tiny - I too was taking hydros for years due to chronic pain along with other stuff.  I just weaned myself off and totally stopped monday afternoon, was in full withdrawal by Tuesday.  Tuesday and Wednesday were two of the most awful days of my entire life, Thursday was better and today DAY 4 I just got up made myself toast and tea, emptied the dishwasher and think I'm over the worst.  I know you'll find several opinions on this board regarding suboxone which a lot of docs will try to give you but there is detox off that as well so lots of people will tell you it is the devil, a few will say it saved their lives.   Honestly I just didn't want to take pills anymore and they weren't really helping my pain - so I slowly tapered down over the last few weeks and then just stopped.  You didn't get here overnight and you won't get out of it overnight.  My usage was about 30-40 mg Hydro per day for solidly 3 years and probably 20 mg per day for a couple years before that - if your usage is similar to mine you can expect 2 days of hell withdrawing but once it's over you will feel so much better.  Post here often, you will find support.  PM me any time if you need to talk or want more specifics.  GOOD LUCK!
I want to remain unknown because I am embarrassed. But I have been taking pain pills for a while now and it has gotten worse since my mom passed away.. I know I am now addicted n really want to get off of them but I dunno how to exactly go about it.. I want to do it on my own so ppl don't know I was addicted so I want to taper.. I take about 3-4 10/325 a day depending on my work schedule.. I need and want to stop sooo bad but the more I want to stop the more I want to take more pills... Please help with advice I want so much better for me and my kids...
I understand why you would want to remain unknown but dont be embarrased- millions of people are or have gone through the exact same thing. Tapering is one option but as a recovering drug addict myself I dont reccomend it because it requires a lot of will power and thats something that all addicts of any sort lack severely and thats nothing to be ashamed of. I recommend a 5 day suboxone detox. Do you know what suboxone is? Inbox me your response, and we'll talk about it.
I found this site this morning to get advice for weaning off of hydro10/325s.
After reading SEVERAL helpful posts, came to yours, and even though I'm
know I read your post from 2009, I was very moved and hoped you made
it through and, if so, how has the 'behavioral' symptoms addiction/abuse
causes have changed. If you receive this, I'd be grateful to know how
your personality or behavior was like when addicted (specifically) and how
sobriety changed it (specifically). I have been on hydrocodone for over 20
years and can't remember what I used to be like. My family, friends and
I KNOW I am not the same.

Either way, you were SO humble and sincere in your post and hope you
made it!!!  Please let me know.

Also, I'm new to 'threads', so if I was unable to reach sdoll1981 and anyone
else could/would advise, I'd be very grateful.  Thanks, Christine
I KNOW I am not the same.

made it!!!  Please let me know.

New to these blogs/threads, a response a gave to someone else.

THIS is what I wanted to send to you, in essence:

You 'edited' diatribe was so frightening, I felt like taking some hydros.
If your story is indeed true, then, KUDOS! You have unusual backbone
(that may not be the best term, considering you extensive(?) and varied(?)
injuries). But, if all is accurate, I envy your 'fiber'.
I'M 65 YRS OLD MALE. HAVE HAD FOUR KNEE OPERATION AND MAY NEED ANOTHER. I HAVE BEEN ON HYDROCODINE/ACT325 FOR ABOUT THREE YEARS. I TAKE TWO EVERY SIX HOURS. UNABLE TO WORK BECAUSE OF SURGERYS.  IF I TRY TO DECREASE DOSAGE, MY BODY STARTS TO TINKLE ALL OVER. IS THIS FROM MEDS OR SOMETHING ELSE WRONG. I STARTED WITH THE TINKLES ABOUT THREE WEEKS AGO, SLEEPING VERY HARD. MAYBE A COUPLE HOURS AND THE TINKLING STARTS AGAIN. WHAT IS WRONG.