Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
When The Chips are Down!!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

When The Chips are Down!!

I uderstand now more than ever, Why we as addicted keep it hidden! I also have a problem with what this so called pro say. ""telling you friends and family is the best thing for you"" Well maybe for some. I have no family here. I laost my dad in 2005. Not really over that. I guess you find out Just who your REAL FRIENDS are. When the chips are down.
I just got off the phone with a so called friend. Who I had shared my addiction with. Well ever since I told her. I really had not heard from her. So I called her. Long story short, She gave me the brush off.. Said she will call me back later. But I will not be holding my breath. It is sad and hurtful. I do not have alot of friends here. As I am not from here. I really thought we were better friends than that. Guess I was wrong!!!

The Thing I like about my friends here at this forum is that no matter how bad I mess up, You all seem to be there for me.. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I can not tell you what it means to me. Even more so now, That this coming out of the closet with my friends here has not been well recived.. I feel very lost and lonely.....

Lady
Good post. I have told many people, but not everyone. I figure if they can't handle it, they are not good friends after all.
I agree.  That was basically what I was meaning on the other post about how my doctor treated me after I told him I had an addiction.  It was like he was a totally different person.  I guess it really hurt me because I was sick and wasn't asking for any kind of narcotic and he was the one throwing it out there, so to speak.  It was VERY difficult for me to open up to him and others about my problem only to be treated like a leper.  I found it very ironic that one of my friend who gave me the cold shoulder is now going through the same thing.  For all I know she was struggling when I came out.  I know I am going to be judged for what I have done but I wish people who think of the courage it takes for us to admit our faults to others.  Even if we know they are aware of it, it is very hard to personally voice these problems outloud.
Yes I agree, But it does not make it any less painful..  :-((

Lady
Well like they say,  ""People who live in glass house's shouldn't through stones"" We all have something, pills, drugs,cig, booze, pron, the list goes on and on..

Maybe some people just do not know how to be supportive or understanding, that is a sad thing....

Lady
I'm so sorry your 'friend'gave you the brush off. I'd like to shake knot in her tail. I wasn't able to tell a sole about my addiction, no one. Just the ppl here. And its been a rough road. This is all the after care and support I have. i wish you all the best. No one here will ever brush you off!
i understand what you are talking about...i haven't really told ANYONE...just my one friend that actually started giving me pills is the only one that knows...and it sucks "faking" the flu thru these damnable w/ds....hang in there..
we can do it!
Everyone no's about me & my parners habit's now. I did try to keep it quiet for a long time, But the first time i got into trouble with the police my brife blamed my addiction to get me of & it was in the paper. So there it was for all to see. Many tured there back's on me But it is part of whop iam even onece i'm clean it will still be there. Your so right when you said you find out who your real freind's are. The support i have recived of this sight is unreal & i thank you all as you have been here for me when my so called freinds haven't been.
Peace nat xxx
i think too i haven't told anyone because i am ASHAMED of myself...
It is awesome how you continue to fight! It is also good to see you posting again. Please stick around more if you are able to.
I know we talk and it helps me girl!..I am having a rough day today...but i know 2morrow will be better for both of us
I have decided that I am going to hold my head up high. not let it drag me down. I don't need any friend who is not supportive, no matter what its about. It will just make me a stronger person in the end. I have gotton to the point it is not worth it. I am who I am! It does not make me a bad person, Just human!! I can live with that..

Thanks to all of you!
     Lady
Pray for me.  Even though this forum is so incredibly helpful, I am having a hard time going from "school time", to "summertime".  I have been up the past few nights until 3-4 am.  I do this every year.  When teaching I have a schedule and summer a different schedule.  I wanted to do my best to keep them one in the same but I have already started staying up.  Today I was so tempted to go get some Lunesta.  I intentionally didn't go to walmart until late this afternoon.  My doctor is near wal-mart and I wanted to make sure they were closed because I know the nurse will give me a few samples and they cycle will start up again.  I didn't do it, but I am going to try to be in the bed by midnight.
Hey girl..you are dead right!..You do find out who your friends are..I got burned and burned good too..by family and a few friends..Never again..I am very careful who i tell anything to. I don't have a problem telling someone, it depends if they deserve to be trusted with something serious..so far...NOT..I have much more support from people I have never met..and that is good for me..love ya Lady..
LMAO...thats funny, depends on if the deserve to be trusted.. I will have to remember that one. I'm not good at trusting, Mostly men!!!  Sorry to the men on here, Not ment to be personal...

Love to Lisa,

Lady