Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
When did you Jump?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

When did you Jump?

I am scared to jump, and a little confused because I am reading horror stories of people's experience jumping when they were down to a very, very low amount of drugs for say, 5 days in a row. I thought tapering is suppose to avoid this type of situation.  Am I wrong?  How did you jump? And what happened afterwards?  Thanks so much! Marie
Tags: jump, detox, taper
You're overthinking this Marie/  I think you're creating a lot more anxiety for yourself because you haven't made the decision you KNOW you need to make.

I believe I said this before but I'm happy to say it again - IT'S TIME TO JUMP and get going with this.  I can't tell you that you're going to get out of this without any discomfort from the withdrawal.  There's no way around that.  But until you finally do it - you're going to drive yourself crazy trying to decide when.

You can do this - now get going!  Seriously - what are you waiting for?  It's time.  :)
There are no horror stories. There's no scary monster in a dark room...

Just do it before you torture yourself to death.  I did it. I'm not special (well sort of special) and I survived quite nicely. You know why?  Because I wanted it effing over with!!  It was over for me. I was taking two pills per day after tapering down from 20 (okay 30) per day for a LONG damn time and it was just over. It was a Thursday. The next day was Friday and I woke up alive and went on...I was an idiot because I was such a wise *** I didn't seek out the beloved aftercare until 5 1/2 months later but someone else can tell you about that!!!   I hate to think about it...anyway...just do it, go to some kind of aftercare and I don't care if it's HOT YOGA! Just do it honey...
Jumping needs to be gentle for me because my doctor says my health issues need a smooth landing.  That's my medical advice.  And I am trying to understand how to get that.  Thanks Marie
Okay. Ask your doctor to define "gentle"....

Are you afraid that you'll feel sick and terrible?  Then wait a bit longer to "jump". I jumped at two pills per day. That's just me and it doesn't mean that's what anyone else should do. I had been at that dose for one month! It was time for me but it may not be for you...I could have gone lower I guess but I tried that and it worked for me. I'm just giving you an example here...

You've done very well so far and you should be proud of that!  So don't push!  Maybe taper a little more for a little longer...nice and slow but steady.  It's not a race and you WILL get there...
Hey marie...i think your over analizing this. What are you most afraid of? The sick or the pain. Or both?  remember in addiction theres never a perfect time to jump. Your never really mentally and physically prepared. When you took your very first pill did you know how it would make you feel? Did you know it was really reaaly going to take away your pain away? Did you really know? Or did you believe in the doctors and peoe who said it would? Well..... Dig deep and ask yourself those questions. We all wanted a gentle landing. But what do you consider gentle? Or are you hoping that you can avoid the whole sickies and poof just taper off till your down to nothing and be your former self?  Well your never going to be that person again. Are you the same as you were last year two years ago three years? Or did you get older and learn new facts new experiences to add to this journey we call life? Does this make sense? I dont think your ready something is holding you back. I say its the fear of the unknown. Dig deep and you know the answers. How bad do you want to get clean? Or are you willing to surrender your whole life to dealing with the pills? Your smart girl. Youll figure it out. Im sending you a big super huge hug of support. Im packing for rehab. Wish me luck and ill see ya on the other side. The sober side. Ill be waiting for you. Love ya bama