Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
When do you tell pride to shut up and take meds?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I've had 4 spinal fusions....1981, 2006, 2007, and now Aug 2011.  All have been L-2 down now to S-1.....every day with opiates is hell. But I hate my life being run by pills. I've a great wife, great kids, and a great pastor. My problem is me.  Can anyone give an alternative to relieve unremitting excruciating pain?
I understand, I grew up in a family of FDNY firefighters and being tough was a prerequisite of being part of my family. Although we all taught to be compassionate. I unfortunately after falling through a collaped roof on the job was not able to walk for months and was told I may never walk again. But after very painful PT I proved the Doc's wrong and walked out of the hospital. I too had excruciating pain and was on 80 mg oxy 3X/day and 10 mg percs for breakthrough pain for seven years. I finally said I want my life back and went c/t. It was extremely rough but I made it. I am now proud to say I have been off opiates for 407 days.

You stated that you just had another fusion how long has it been since your last surgery? Also what type of injury did you have that required so many fusions? I am just asking because if you are still recovering from a recent surgery I don't think it would be wise to stop your meds right now. But if you are fairly well healed you may want to just try to taper down your meds and stop taking those evil pills.

I have found alternative methods to deal with my pain such as acupuncture, yoga and breathing exercises. It takes a while to re-train your brain and body to deal with pain but it can be done I am living proof. There are also herbs and supplements that help pain also if you would like I could give you a list of these things that may help.

But once again if you are still in PT and recovering from surgery I would wait until your healed before trying any of what I suggested. I will pray for you and ask God to take some of your pain away. God Bless---Rick
Can you elaborate more on "The problem is me"? what meds are you on? I have had six spinal surguries over the last 8 years so I know how you feel. Give us a little more info so we can give you the best advice possible.
I grew up in a no such thing as pain home. Within 3 months of the 1st fusion I was running pass patterns and diving for balls with my body brace (from chest to hip fiberglass type brace). We didn't show pain, either physical or emotional.  I've been on dilaudid 4mg, oxycontin 20 mg 3x daily, 4 to 6 percocet 10/325 daily, fentynil patches, kadian, avinza, lyrica, and even celebrex........not all at once but by the dr at the time or pain mngmt dr.  The problem is I hate how I feel on any of it. It's like nothing  touches my heart.....I used to cry at the end of movies like Braveheart, but while I'm on meds my wife calls me House "Jr." but not in a good way. Ican't stand the pain but feeling nothing is worse.
There is nothing like a good belly laugh. Or real tears. Joy, excitement, emotion, etc. They aren't joking when they call it a pain killer. Find alternate options. Living in a bubble isn't worth it. Feel.... It is priceless.

Before anything else- thank you for risking your life for all of us..... you're a real hero! My original fusion was from a birth defect. I got past that, lettered in football, got blackbelts in in judo, ju-jutsu, tai- jutsu, and yellowed in tai-kwon-do. I injured my back pushing a tahoe out of the service lane where I worked.  Since then, full disability, 3 surgeries, and pain enough that only my wife and kids make it worth living. My last op was 8/02 of this year... last tuesday. My neurologist told me my back looks like a war zone full of scrapnal. If you have any ideas I'd love to here them.....and thank you for just lstening----Rob