Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
When will this go away?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

When will this go away?

I am on day 12 of cold turkey from lortabs.  I thought things would be getting better by now, but I still can't sleep, can barely eat and I feel like a train wreck.  I haven't had a good nights sleep in almost two weeks and I'm getting very, very edgy.  Not to mention the not being able to eat thing.  I need help please.
I still had some of those symptoms for 1 month. I had no energy yet I couldn't sleep. Have any of the symptoms gone away since you first started?  Also for sleep melatonin works wonders. Some people say take Xanax, I did the last time I quit but then I got addicted to pain pills & Xanax. So if I were u take the minimum amount & only for a week or two. Hope u get to feeling better. With time it will get better.
sorry you are still feeling tired....it does take a little while for the energy to come back...and sleep too.....yes melatonin works good for me....but nothing really worked the first week but you should try it now.  Just hang in there....it does get better each day....keep your eye on the prize!
Thanks for the advice and yes some of the symptoms have gotten better.  I don't have the body aches anymore and I only throw up occasionally now.  I'm gonna say no to the Xanax thing because I don't want another monkey on my back.  I'm in it to win it this time!!!!  I just wish I could sleep and eat a little better.
Is there anything I can do to make myself want to eat?  I think if I could eat better it would help too!!!
i had to actually force myself to eat soup, etc....but i lived on Ensure for the first week.....or you can get carnation instant breakfast drinks too...they have lots of nutrients.....as long as you hydrate well, you should feel better soon....eating will come back....and with a vengeance...lol  try crackers or fruits...bananas are good, has potassium.  Yes eating well will help but at first it's hard to eat solid foods....just resign yourself to the fact that you might not eat well for first couple of weeks....drink the ensures and also whey protein shakes are good for you too...you can get the powder at walmart or groc stores too...mix it with what ever you like, milk, OJ...fruits etc...will give you more energy.
What about something like Dramamine? Could that help the nausea and sleeplessness at the same time?
I use Ginger Root for my nasuea, which I have constantly from gastroenteritis and bleeding ulcers. I have been given Zofran and other prescription nasuea meds, but found Ginger Root to work better for me.

You do need to find something! The protein powder that toothfaire mentioned is great. I use Muscle Milk ( which is actually lactose free)

It has loads of protein and vitamin and minerals. It helps immensely. You can purchase pre made, they carry it at Speedway gas stations, or to save money, in a powder from GNC.

I didn't have nasuea from detox, but from my dealing with it always, I also found dry toast to be the best at staying down. From there, once your stomach isn't totally empty, it seems you can slowly introduce more foods.

Good luck!
I just want to echo a little of what toothfairie and BarbRTR said. Ensures are great for filling your belly when you detox. They have many different kinds of Ensure though. The one I liked to use is the Ensure High Protein. It has 25grams of protein with only 5 grams of sugar. The regular Ensure has tons of sugar in it (22g) Soup is what saved me though. I lived off chicken noodle forever. Sip the broth to get the nutrients if you can. It will make you feel better.

http://ensure.com/products/ensure-high-protein

Ginger Root for nausea is great advice too. Anything Ginger really....Ginger Ale, Ginger Tea...you get the idea.

http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-exec/PNAME/Ginger-Tea-Organic/product_id/21705?gclid=CMjs7peDmbUCFWKCQgodwAkAoA

__________________________________________________________

It gets better. Keep pushing.
I just want to echo in that yes, any Ginger does great. But in buying Ginger Ale, check the ingredients, as lately, some brands are using ginger flavoring, instead of real Ginger.

Small bites of food, a couple every hour, as opposed to trying to eat all at once helps too.

I agree with Chicken noodle soup, I just can't stand the taste personally. It's like pure salt to me lol.
But for sure you must try something to eat, to feel better. Good luck!
I was able to keep down some small amount of food today.  A granola bar, some tater tots, and lots of liquids.  I have also found an herbal supplement called Alteril that I intend tonight for sleeping.  I have just taken it and it says that it takes an hour to take affect.  Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get some sleep tonight.  Thanks for all the advice!!!
I had the same trouble eating and sleeping I got some over the counter melatonin if I could sleep I could eat the next day and keep it down I would lat down for days without sleep once the anxiety are getting it off my mind I started feeling better good luck keep up the good work
There is also a prescription strength benadrel I wad given in rehab works great
glad you are feeling better. that's great you were able to keep some food down. tomorrow will be even better.
alteril works great. many of us use it. hopefully it will work at 12 days for you.
sending peace and some sleep,
debbie
Alteril worked for me too, it has melatonin in it....then i just switched to regular melatonin and it did the same.  I couldn't stand the smell of Alteril.....lol  hope you get some good sleep, and glad you kept some food down....hopefully you will eat more tmrw.  congrats on making it this far!