Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Why would any doctor prescribe Xanax, Valium during WD

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Ok everyone why would a doctor prescribe 2mg Xanax 2 someone that is addicted 2 opiates????? Is this drug just as bad??
Benzos are given out by doctors and in rehab detox to ease the symptoms of withdrawal. Although they are addicting and need to be monitored they ease the suffering of wd that causes many people to go back to opiates and just give up. I am an opiate addict and benzos really don't do anything as far as make me feel good....only decrease anxiety for me but everyone is different and many people are addicted to benzos. Medical supervision is always best and only a small amount for the first week is adviseble
2 mg of xanax daily is a bit extreme unless u have a tolerence to benzos...most who have no tolerence take .25 mgs at a time...1/8 of ur dose rx-d to u...do u have a prior benzo problem or dose rx-d to u?  if not i could try and stay below 1 mg if i could for a short time..valium is weaker and safe for wd purposes...xanax is the big gun /strongest/of benzos, then ativan and then klonipin (klonopin)...valiun, librium, temaxepam and more are an alternative if u have no tolerence to benzos

using an addictive drug to get off an addictive drug can be a vicious cycle...have u used benzos before?   2 mgs of xanax is a very high dose for someone who never used  in the past
I agree that 2 mgs of Xanax might be overkill.

I took valium at night during my wd to sleep. The problem was it did NOT cover the wd symptoms at all during the peak days. I took 50 mgs one night and felt absolutely nothing and was wide awake.

It did start working around day 5 but I had to take 20 mgs. I then lowered the dose by half every night after that until I was at zero. Not because I was dependent because I wasn't but because I did not want to become dependent.

Now, I just don't sleep. :)
benzos are much safer to use durning an inpatient program where it is completely monitored by a doctor and is not used after you leave .I can not even count how many people we have had on here that use it to get off of an opiate and say there not worried about it cuz they really never liked benzos *** back three months later saying they are now addicted to that .