Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Wife of a crack smoker

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Wife of a crack smoker

How do I know if my husband is smoking crack?  I know that he has a history of it and I found a pipe years ago.  I thought things were better, but I think he may be smoking again.  He hasn't changed his friends so it is easy for him to blame certain things on them; For example, I found a small piece of chore boy in his pocket. Tonight, he told me that he was going to the store 4 hours ago. I call him and he told me that he was at his friends house.  I am so afraid he is doing it again.
Not sure what to say. Maybe ask him?  Sounds like he is being shady
Sounds like it to me. I would just confront him or check on him if it really bothers you. Which I would think it bothers you. If this is what he is doing it will end up effecting your life more in the future.

I hope he isn't good luck to you and just a note he has to want to quit for him or it won't work.
I would follow your gut on this one.  If he hasnt made any changes in his life then i would highly suspect he is smoking.  You need to take care of you now.  Check into Alanon or some type of counseling.  Families get the brunt of our addiction.  I wish you all the best.   sara
I  like Domino's idea and you can look at his pupils.  Are they gigantic?  That is a sign of some type of drug use.  Good luck and take care of you.
All we can do is give our opinion and that does not mean it's right, but it sure sounds like he is smoking it again. Since he is around his same friends that smoke, I just can't see him staying clean, especially with crack. I hope I am wrong. Take care of you right now. Keep us updated.

Have you noticed weight loss with him? Sleeping patterns, money missing, depressed etc. There are many signs and if you think he is using than he probably is.
I agree with everyone else. If he is using there really isn't anything you  can do to make him quit. I had a long-term boyfriend I lived with who was using and he did the same kind of stuff. Eventually I started finding little balls of aluminum foil all over the place which I found out later on had held the crack. He took everything I had of any value.  He was losing weight like crazy and he wasn't getting up for work.  The lies were endless...there is more but you get where I am going with this.  So eventually I broke up with him, thank  God, because he eventually ended up in prison (probably a blessing because I think he got clean in there).  So for now hide all your stuff and take care of yourself and your children if you have any. You can confront him but chances are if he is using and not ready to get clean he will lie.  Unfortunately, you will have to decide what's best for you and not blame yourself for his addiction or try to fix him.Take care.
burn/callous on thumbs (from flicking the bic too much)
burns on the lips (it's easy to put the wrong end of the stem in your mouth)
weight loss (nothing works like the stem-fast diet!!)
chore boy anywhere but the kitchen sink (who carries chore boy in their pocket?)

Once I started smoking crack I could not stop.  I knew that I should, I knew that I was out of control, but I couldn't stop and I couldn't ask for help.  It took me being forced into rehab twice.  The first time was for 30 days.  I got healthy, gained weight and got to the point where I actually WANTED to stay clean.  But, I relapsed in less than 48 hours and went on a run that didn't end until I hit the 2nd rehab 5 months later.  

That was June 7, 2005.  I stayed in that rehab for 4 full months and have been 100% clean and sober since.  It's not easy to stay in sustained recovery -- it takes work on an almost constant basis.  But the rewards are great and it's a lot easier than living in active addiction, where the work is just as hard, often dangerous, and there are few rewards. Even the high becomes only a thing remenbered -- chased, but never quite caught.

CATUF
1929