Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Will one week taking 10mg METHADONE cause Withdrawals or raise Toleranc...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Will one week taking 10mg METHADONE cause Withdrawals or raise Tolerance?

Hi -I have chronic pain and usually take two vicodin (5/500's) three to four times a day but some days I only take it once so I haven't ever had any bad WDs.
My friend traded me some methadone for my vicodin rx because he couldn't get his vic refill befor the weekend and was in a lot of pain and couldn't just take more methadone. So we traded (stupid idea I know). - I just felt bad for him he's in a wheelchair and really messed up.

First day I took about 5mg. Not too much relief so the second day I took 10mg and it was good for pain (& I was a little spacy), all day long. One day i even skipped and still felt good. I like that about the methadone but now that I have learned more about it I am scared that I will have Withdrawals once I run out. and I think I am an idiot cause I realize now after looking into it i probably raised my tolerance by doing this. (great how to explain that to the doc? think i'll try to avoid having to do that.)

BUT ANYWAYS (Q)- it has only been about six (6) days on 10mg. If I stop now and just take my regular dose of vicodin will I have Withdrawals or will my Vicodin just not work as well?
(if I did raise my tolerance how long do you think i'd have to "take off" from taking anything befor i could get it back down to where 2 regular stregth vicodins kill my pain?)

Would I get any withdrawals or lasting tolerance at all after only one week anyways? -(That would make methadone about the worst opiate ever as far as I'm concerned, if one week could really get you hooked like that.)

Thanks for any replies. i know now how dumb this was but I seriously didn't realize how bad methadone is on the dependance/tolerance-raising side of things.

it was great for the pain but i wouldn't want to mess with it ever again unless I was really screwed up. I just hope I'm not gonna have to suffer too much for being such a twit.

sorry for the long post -katie

I can only speak from my own experience, but I doubt you'll feel any withdrawals from 6 days of methadone. I have in the past taken it from 3 to 5 days, and have never experienced any withdrawals. I like you took 10 mgs a day.

You need to know though that your vics won't work as good until you've stopped the methadone for at least 24 hrs. After that, you should get the normal amount of relief.

Hope this help!

i agree with addicted2pain i dont think you will b addicted or have withdrawals , methadone is an awesome pain reliver , i tried it for my back and it was great but then i got adddicted to hydrocodone and i use methadone has a maintinance, i take 33 mg. so I will not withdrawal but i will one day b at 5 mg and off of it . It lasts longer vicoden , it has a longer life in ur body anyways good luck RBC3
I agree w/ all
thanks for the replies!

So is this forum a pretty close knitt sort of online community or what? I posted thinking it was a pretty high traffic place w/o much community but i noticed some of the other posts were people just trying to talk to others on here about thier lives. that's cool. I have one online forum I use a lot and I really like that community but they don't have much to do with addiction. I do have some addiction issues so maybe this place would be a good place to stick around to give and get support (not much into N/A meetings and face to face stuff for support). let me know. -katie