Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Will percocet hurt the baby?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Will percocet hurt the baby?

I am 13 weeks pregnant and take 4 5mg percocet a day due to my back and leg. I only found out i was pregnant 2.5weeks ago. I went to my family doctor whom i get my script from and they seem very laid back about the sitituation but when I just went to the obgyn for my first appointment they were very rude to me and made me feel like i am killing my baby. I am trying to take less but its very difficult due to my pain and trying to work, sleep, walk, etc. I am at this point very confused on what to do. I dont want to hurt my baby or have my baby addicted.
Hi!  It's my opinion that if you want to do what is best for your baby, then you should listen to your OBGYN.  They specialize and will tell you what will and will not hurt your baby!

Big congrats on your new bundle!!!
I am so sorry they made you feel this .OK i am going to ask you a few questions do you take them strictly for pain? Do you ever take them for emotional pain ? You are NOT killing your baby . You are taking 20 mg of hydro condone a day .I take it tylenol  alone wasn't doing it on its own .Could you talk to your doctor about trying something like T3s the have less narcotic but my take the edge of the pain?
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/219225/Chronic-Pain-and-Pregnancy?personal_page_id=1039015

This is a girl from the pain management forum who has some info in the above.  Please check it out......She is pg and has chronic pain.
kay,
The info sara is great check it out ....you should not have to suffer
Hello.I'm sorry that you are having to go through this!  I took vicodin for most of my pregnancy and my baby is fine. I had all kind of problems plus fibromyalgia (although they didnt know that was what it was at the time of my pregnancy) and my dr. thought that it would help me and not harm the baby as long as taken
as prescribed. The only time I couldn't take it was in the fist 4 weeks and the last 4 weeks. The first 4 weeks because that is the highest miscarriage risk and the last 4 weeks because you want to have to to get the pills out of your system so your baby is not born addicted. If you dont like or believe the dr. it doesnt hurt to do some research yourself. I dont think that it was right for the OBGYN to  "judge" you. Pregnancy is hard pain or not and you dont have to take crap from anyone. They have no idea what you are feeling so I would look for a different OB maybe one that doesn't try to make you feel bad!! It is always better for you not to be in pain during pregnancy because if you are in pain then it puts stress on your body and if your stressed your baby is stressed. But please be careful. After being in cronic (chronic) pain for a long time and taking pain killers everyday I got addicted to them and feel like crap trying to get out them. Best of luck to you!!
The first thing you need to do is to STOP worrying!

You CAN take opiates right through your pregnancy without risking any long term harm to your baby.

To put this in perspective, cigarettes and alcohol are MUCH more likely to cause harm.

What you must not do under any circumstances is try to withdraw because that brings with it the risk of miscarriage and is far more harmful to the baby than just staying on the pills.

The small risks you run are that 1) Your baby may be born 'light for dates' (slightly smaller than usual) but this is much less likely than with cigarettes or alcohol. and 2) there is a possibility that your baby may be born with fetal abstinance syndrome (FAS or 'Baby withdrawals').  Baby withdrawals are actually far more distressing for the mother than the baby. They are often mild and they do soon go away, causing no log-term harm. Baby withdrawal are greatly reduced by breast feeding.

You can reduce the risk of FAS by tapering a little, but only under the close supervision of a doctor.

Your own doctor IS wrong and is being very judgmental. It sounds to he like he/she is one of those self-righteous types that simply don't like drug users.

I would strongly recommend that you change doctors and find one you can engage with.

You certainly aren't a bad Mum so please relax and enjoy your pregnancy!
bump