Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Withdrawal from hydrocodone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Withdrawal from hydrocodone

I have been on pain pills off about for about 2 years.(mostly Loritabs). Two weeks ago I was taking up to 12 pills a day. I have now weaned myself down to 3 pills a day, and I feel pretty good, not great, but pretty good. I plan to go down to 2 pills a day tomorrow and the next day, and then see if I can stop. Can you tell me if my withdrawals will be very bad since I will be down to just 2 pills? Im scared and concerned about this. But, I have never been more determined in my life to get off of these pills!
Thank you,
Leisa Tuck
Brie1966
Hi There--I did pretty much the same thing that you are doing.  I weaned myself off of vicodin by lowering my dose by 1/2 a pill every few days.  When I was down to 1 pill (1/2 in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m.) for three days, I stopped taking them altogether.  The w/d I felt when I stopped were not nearly as bad as I have had when I did cold turkey.  Mostly, I just generally a little achy, listless.  The worst thing for me has been dealing with my painful chronic back condition.  Also, I have had a lot of trouble with restless leg at night--but this is getting better.  Weaning was definitely a less painful way to go.  I think you'll get through it without too much trouble, especially if you don't have a long history of w/d and relapse.  Try looking up Thomas's recipe--I have been taking it for about 3 weeks and it has really helped me feel brighter and more energetic.  

I've been clean for a little over 2 weeks and I feel really good, physically (except my back).  I have a lot of energy and have been more productive with my work than I have been for a long time.  Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
welcome to the forum, your withdrawals will BE HORRIFYING!!!!! haha, just kidding, sorry I'm big on making light of bad situations, but yours isn't bad at all.  If you have you have enough hydro then I would stay at 2 for a week or so, then try to move down, however, when you get to 2 a day, its almost impossible to get yourself down to 1, you know what i mean? when you have the drugs in hand, why not take atleast 2 right? it would take a lot of will power.  So to answer your questions, you will get flu like symptoms, aches and pains, leg cramps, etc...... but it will not be as bad as you think, you can do it no problem, its the mental part you should be careful of, ok? good luck.

GWH
The thing about addiction and recovery is that it can be different for different people.  Not everyone can taper--I know many people who can't, but it seems that you and I have been able to do this.  For me, taking 1 pill a day for the last 3 days was worthwhile psychologically.  It was too big a jump for me to go from 2 to none; this may be different for you, though.  After all, when you go from 2 to 1, you are cutting your entire dose in 1/2; if you go from 2 to none, then it is a much bigger jump.  I would go with how you feel.  As GWH said, it is the psychological aspect of quitting that is really tough and lowering my doses the way I did helped with that last step.
hey there
im michael and im a clean addict, was up to 20 a day vikes
and i went cold turkey,
always had a problem with lack of energy, not able to sleep,
and severe depression and the shits. the hard part is the 1st week.
the receipe helped me and other greatly
when i found this fourm, they suggested this vitimine recepie.
it's called thomas receipe
it go's like this

l-tyrosine 1000 mgms 4 a day week 1  ,2 a day the next weeks.
b-6 100 mgs 2 a day
vitimines  A  c  and E  2 A DAY OF EACH
A STRONG MULTI VITIMINE 1 A DAY
ZINC 1 ADAY
COPPER 1 A DAY
PHOSPHORUS 1 ADAY 500 MGMS
MANGANESE 1OMG   1 A DAY
CALSIUM-MAGNISUM  1 A DAY

IMODIUM (immodium) FOR THE SHITS THE 1ST WEEK

TAKE THIS RECEIPE  AS IT IS LAID OUT IT REALLY WORKS WONDERS.

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP POSTING

PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PHOS
Hippy, you made me crack up, twice, in that post! Thanks...

Brie, congratulations on your decision and on doing so well with the taper. I'd say the majority of addicts can't taper (myself included) so you have a lot of willpower and sound very strong. Because you've done it that way, your WD should be much milder, although it might last longer while you're tapering. If you start to feel too bad, cut a pill in half and taper a little slower. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
taper, taper, taper. anyway you can. i tapered 1 pill a day(was up to 20 vikes or percs a day). but i did it and you can too. the withdrawals still come and they will be unpleasent but much less than if you went cold turkey. if possible get some ambien that will help you sleep those first several nights. i've been sober almost 4 months now and i feel better than ever. everyone on here, in one way or another has helped, so thank you.

just remember that if you have the strength............taper.
take the receipe as it is written
it is safe, as long as you are not taking any anti depressents.
i was like you and was leary of taking all those vitamines.
but i must say it really works well.
the l-tyrosine is an amino acid it get your natral endorfins working agian,
it also works very well for getting rid of the severe depression and lack of energy.
so agian don't be afraid , take it as it is written.

good luck and keep posting  , your freind michael j. H

peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Hippie I got a question for you. I've been on vicodin for 2 years now and am in my fourth day of withdrawal. However, I've been taking the diet drug phentermine for about 5 years now. I'm up to 1 and a half a day on them. They are the only thing that gives me the energy to pick up my kids from school. Will I have withdrawal going off these things too? I don't think I could stand another withdrawal right now or for that matter anytime soon. What can I do?
i think youll be fine , but just to be sure post the same aquestion
to our member here at the fourm who go's by the handle
mr.michael
and add more info like how are you doing, are you sleeping are you eating, how's the depression ect.
keep posting
peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow! Thanks guys for all the responses! I like the recipe with the vitamins, I wrote it all down and I am headed to the GNC store tomorrow! It sounds like an awful lot to take each day, so  its safe to take that many??? Oh, and what is "tyrosine?". Okay, tomorrow I start with just 2 pills  a day, I am SOOOOOO ready to be offo of these little devils! I will keep posting, and thanks again to everybody!!!
Love,
Brie1966
Hello all,

Well here is my story. I have had several surgies on my shoulder. I have been on vicodin for about a year at the rate of 1/2 tab. twice a day.. I have even stopped a couple of times when I didnt need them.  5 weeks ago I had major surgery, they put me on duragesic patach at 75mg an opiate, I was on the 75 for 4 weeks along with duragesic IV push every two hours. I just finished the patches on the 8/12, upon discharge from the hospital they had me on 1/2 a vicodin every 2 hours.  I am down to 1 tablet every 4 hours and feel ok when I take it but boy when the 4 hours come around I begin to get the withdraw symptoms that we all have experienced. I went to see a dr. today and he gave me bentyl, trazadone and clonadine to help with the symptoms. I also have an anxiety disorder (that I see someone for) which  magnifies the feelings.  I just think thoughout the hospital stay they loaded me up on opiates then on discharge did the same with the vicodin. I tried to stop the vicodin cold turkey and the withdraw symptoms were to much to bare. So today I started back on the vicodin at a rate of 1 tablet every 4 hours. I need to know how to wean myself off these things without having the withdraws or minimal symptoms.  Please help.......  Lynn
Hey everyone. I have been taking painkillers(percocets, vicodin and tylenol with codeine for about four years on and off. I have endometriosis and they started prescribing narcotics when i was 16, which is too young if you ask me. but anyway, i am done with them...been off for six days. I was taking anywhere from 4 to 6-7 a day, but it would be like a month at a time, then i would run out and go through withdrawal, then i would get more and the whole cycle would happen again. I dont think i have gone more than a month or two without them in four years. Most of my withdrawal symptoms are gone, but i was wondering- every night i still get this feeling where i have to stretch my legs, like a hundred times, and i cant fall asleep. is this normal??????? please help. Also, every time i took the meds, my heart would beat funny, but when they wore off, it would beat normal. have any of you  experienced this? By the way, i admire all your courage and i KNOW how all of you  feel. please write back.              emmy22
Hey There,
    I am proud of you for trying to get off the pills, they are horrible huh... I am in the same exact boat as you!! I have had 5 surgerys on my stomach, I am only 19 years old, so I have been on and off pain meds since I was about 5 years old, I have been taking them not stop for about 5 years every single time I ever tried to quit I had the most horrible withdrawals and I just couldn't go through it. I have just recently signed up to go to a in patient detox and drug treatment center I have 8 days before I go there, I just wanted you to know your not alone at all, I have taken every single pain pill there is, I also got Hepatits C from iv using them. I still take up to 30 Lortab 5/500 a day it does suck, but I am very hopefull that this place will help me get and stay clean, all of my prayers are with you and everybody else going through this hell, please pray for me also Thank you and good Luck, if anybody has any words of encouragement please email me at Rottiegal423@aol.
Emmy22,
The "stretching" of your legs is exactly what I have and AM going thru(off percocet) seemingly 100's of times, last night included. As far as the heartbeat, I personally haven't experienced it but know of someone who described what your describing. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!
One day it's 1part Mental & 2parts Physical, the next is 2parts Mental & 1part Physical...no matter...It is the recipe for FREEDOM!!

GWH ^ You cracked me up with the "It will be Horrible"
Really seemed to take some pressure off!
Hey Emmy22. I know what you mean about the legs night. I've also experienced that. Last night I thought it would drive me crazy. I tried taking a little bit of a xanax, but it made me feel horrible the next day.Won't do that again. I just hope it passes soon I need some sleep. Some people have said take benedryl or an over the counter sleep aid, but that works the opposite on me. I did take some Nyquil, but it didn't work either. One nigt I took a half of a 12.5 phenergan tablet and slept great. Wish I had some more of those. I didn't feel losy the next dat either. We'll get through this. Day 7 is a whooole lot better than 1,2, or 3. I am still very tired but it's better too. I think I'm still gonna try the recipy when I get the energy to get out.
Good Luck... And stay clean.
These are by far, the worst part.  The shits I can deal with because I am awake, but the leg thing sucks.  How long will this continue and what causes this?
Hello Everyone,
I just read through all the posts and decided to join in.  I was trying to find someone that was in my boat exactly.  I have been taking Vicodin Es for about six years, sometimes up to ten a day.  The last few months I have been weaning myself with my doctors help.  I am at five regular Vicodin a day.  My doctor just prescribed Buspar (an anxiety med) not an anti-depressant, or addictive, to my knowledge.  I quite cold turkey a few years ago and couldn't sleep, cried because I wanted to sleep.  I started taking them for severe migraines, I noticed nobody has mentioned what I am about to mention but I find myself dreading social events without being on a pill, I find I feel more attractive under the influence of Vicodin.  I am very nervous, I have dreams about running out of pills because my doctor says I should be off completely within the next month and a half.  This is all I have wanted for a few years and now that it is fast approaching I feel like I will have nothing to look forward to in a day without the pills.  I am very interested in what any of you think, or suggestions, and so on.  Was anybody else nervous and leary of quitting?  My comfort is that I know I have another doctor that will continue to presribe them.  What do I do?  I think it is important to say that nobody except my boyfriend of four years knows the situation I am in, he is supportive but unfamiliar with my withdrawals and nobody else even has a clue.  I find myself embarrassed and unwilling to tell until I have conquered it completely.  How long off the pills before you no longer have side affects, or withdrawals?  Sorry I cramed so much down your throats at once!!!
Hi, yes I understand and many people here probably do to. The reason I wanted to continue to take them is that they made me more outgoing and social.  I am very shy and quiet without them.  But, I just quit and will not go back to them after 8 years.  Itake too many and all I get now is really tired and sick. It is time to accept myself for who I am. If I can do this than others will too. It is hard when you want to be social, but, we are all different.  Shy people were made for a reason, and that is a good reason.  Just think what it would be like if everyone was chatty all the time.  It keeps a balance.  Good luck in your fight to quit.
Hey Jen. I felt ECACTLY like your feeling right now. I'm shy not very outgoing and the pills did everthing for me, not just wonders. I could do anything with them. For a while. Then when I was addicted, I didn't want to do anything or go anywhere. My drug was my time and place. It took the place of everything. Even my children in the end. You know what you need to do and I know you would't be on this forum if you didn't. But I'm here to tell you, just by my experience, getting clean is the healthiest and most wise thing I've ever done for myself. And us low self-esteem people hardly ever do anything for ourselfs. We always think somebody else deserves better than we do. Do this for yourself. You are important and you are sound like a great and caring person. By the way, I'm on day 10. It's great to be here.
Keep us posted even if you don't decide to quit yet.
Hi everyone!  I have been reading this site for almost a year now and just now decided to comment. I am a single mother of two preteen children, an only child, (daughter of a Chief of Police), I have a full time job and i'm also a full time student trying to obtain my nursing degree. One small thing i forgot to add is that i am also addicted to pain pills. I love them. I have tried to get off them, even survived the withdrawls, but yet only to come across some more and take them. Even if i was feeling ok. Not great of course, but ok. I just cant turn them down. I hear you jen, when you said you need them socially. I do too, there is noone better than me in this world or nothing i can't handle if i am on them. and that helps a lot with my busy schedule and social status. everyone knows my family and knows who we are. My father is a respectable public servent and has been for over 20 yrs now. Sad part about it is that he takes pills too, and i think we both take them for the same reason. Although, we are a respectable family and have nice things and my kids dont do without, (my son got his 1st car, 67' mustang at the age of 10, hes only 12 now), the pressure gets to me. Its like i dont have the energy or the guts to face anybody or anything. I hate it is this way, but to be honest i cant even remember what it felt like to be normal and narcotic free. Thats what scares me the most. Thanks for listening, all of you people are great!!
Lavendar
I think most of us who have taken narcotics (pain pills) probably feel this way, I know I do.  I started taking hydrocodone because of herniated disks, and I stayed with them because it really gave me something to look forward to.  That time of the day that you know you can feel relaxed and just kick back.  And the other, various and many reasons such as energy, self-esteem, mind-numbing, getting away from it all, etc.  

I had a bad last 6 months and really couldn't deal, so I went overboard on my pill consumption.  My beloved dog died that I had for 15 years (he was REALLY my best friend), my mother-in-law died from an incredibly hard battle with cancer.  Seeing her the way she was at the end just killed me.  I think for more than any reason, I took Norco because I wanted to escape reality, but reality was still there when I stopped using, and then I had to make up for lost time.  Does anyone else ever feel that for the time you use and abuse, then you stop, that all of those emotions that were bottled up for the time you took the pills come spilling out and then you're left to deal with them??  I call it the coke-bottle effect.  You can only put so much carbonation in a bottle before it explodes (bad analogy, I know!).

I quit taking all pain meds in May, and now I'm back on :(, and it's not for my back pain because I find that I can control that with Advil on occasion.  I'm still trying to come to terms with it all and find out how to live without them.  I hope I can someday.
There are support groups for people with social phobia/shyness. If you think this could help any of you look in your area.  Usually the hospitals have them, if not just look in the newspaper.  I hope to never go back on this stuff.  good luck
Is anyone else having a hard time today besides me?  Mentally not physically. I've been off the pills for 11 days now. I'm feeling better physically and not as depressed, but I still feel out of control. Is anyone else having this problem.
Thank God!! I was so glad to see that I wasn't alone and that there was someone who I could talk to who understood and wouldn't judge me.  Where do I go to tell my story?
What if you are taking an anti-depressant, I am on prozac, will that be a problem with the recipe? Because i too wrote it down and want to try it.
Mis
Hey hippy
I took my last Vic ES today and started the recipe you gave Brie- I am just wondering this- does it work right away/ (The vitamins and l-tyrosine). If not, how long does it take to affect?  Just a little note also- the Nutritionist at the Health Food Store I bought all the Vitamins from suggested Inositol also- said it would be good for the nerves... I m trying that as well.  Please let me know how long the recipe takes to feel "good".. thanx, oh and would you happen to know how long VicodinES stays in the system? ( Average 4-5 a day, for 2 months) may have a drug screening coming up. Thanx & God bless.
Julz  Peace  <*)))><
Hey Everyone, I've been off the pills for 12 days and my back is killing me. Does anyone know if this is still w/d? My back muscles burn and hurt all the time. I took something today called skalaxin. If I shouldn't, pleeease somebody tell me. I looked it up and it said it was a muscle relaxant with very little CNS side affects. What do you guys think about it? I certainly don't want to get hooked on anything else or ruin what I have accomplished. Oh yeah, I still have depression and tired too. Is this normal?
I am also on Paxil for anxiety- is this bad while taking Thomas' recipe? Anyone who knows, please respond!  Thank you~
Julz Peace  <*)))><
Ok.. i read the thomas recipe.. but i need more info on it. As how to take it excatly and when.. I have a mulitple vitamin here that has some of the ingredients listed on the recipe in it. I need to know should i just take this with whats not listed on this vitamin bottle or what.. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT  ***@**** Im tired of living in this private hell..Help me Please
Julz, leave the Paxil alone!!!  There was a special report on those that I watched because I was taking it and had some strange experiences.  The "Special" talked about all the things that the company of that med. did not tell the public.  It has messed up so many people...mentally!!!  I know it took me for a ride, but thank God I hadn't been taking them long. It leaves most people worst off than they started, as well as nuerological problems you wouldn't believe.  This "Special" was either on 60 Min. or 48 Hours about 6 months ago.  Maybe you can try contactacting them through e-mail to further persue this.  God Bless, and good luck, Pooper46.
I couldn't decide if I was crazy or what. I've been on Loritabs for over 2 1/2 years due to a car wreck. There has been some times when I wasn't taking the pain killers---I even tried going back to work and ended up making the problem worse. Until recently I hadn't had any wd's like the famous leg cramps, etc. but now it's hit hard. I can't sleep, leg cramps, all the goodies. I try taking HOT baths, laying on my heating pad--sometimes after that I can sleep for awhile. I'm not at the point of being able to live without them ---I see a surgeon soon and hope then to start the road to recovery. Just reading everyone else's problems with this helps. THANKS for letting me know I'm not nuts. Good Luck everyone and I'll keep the vitamin receipe for after surgery.I feel like all I will get my life back and feel "normal" again. My anxiety comes from the wreck--creamed from behind on the highway--I do take celexa for depression--have taken the xanax too. Mostly made me sleepy--need it now. Good luck
I have been taking 10/500 Lortabs for about a year and have moved to Norco 10/325...I initially started out with just 1 tablet every day...well, I don't have to tell any of you that 1 became 2, then 3, then 4...well, I'm up to between 15-20 per day now and I have even taken up to 35 in a day...it seems that there would be no stopping with this drug...I know I have to stop, but can't seem to do it...the pain of withdrawal is too much...does anyone know about Zyban (Wellbutrin-SR) for relieving withdrawal pain...I know it worked when I quit smoking cigarettes...anyway, I know I've got to cut down at first but geesh, everyday is a new day and I'm always saying tomorrow...Peace everyone...

hi
i was taken 30 vicodin a day it started out from surgery well u know the rest of the story. well what i ended up doing  was going to a methadone clinic i could not tolerate the withdrawl (withdrawal). here they call vicodin a generic heroin. its a opiate. i did the meth for 2 years started at 35 mg of meth for a while then i requested to be cut my dose i did got down to 1 mg for a week was scared to stop the meth but i did it.i guess it depends on the person hope this helps cause it was the best thing i ever did
My son, Joe, is very sick.  He took hydrocodone for about a week, and we are trying to determine if his symptoms are from withdrawal from hydrocodone or just the flu.  He has a fever of about 101, hot and cold flashes, headache, general body aches, and a lack of energy.  Is his week-long use of hydrocodone enough to have produced habituation?  Do these symptoms match those of hydrocodone withdrawal?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Max Nielsen
this is a similiar question to "joe-dad's"....
I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me when you know you are "addicted".... I have been on pain meds since I had reconstructive surgery on my elbow 8 months ago. I have a titanium Elbow now and needless to say, my body does not like it! The doctors started with Morphine for post-op pain (WOW - NO PAIN) but after getting released from the hospital, I was on Percocet for a few weeks then lortabs. now it seems that every time I stop taking the lortab for a day, I start to get major body aches, headaches, can't focus, and no sleep.  So I take one lortab 5/500 and I sleep like a baby, or I take one before lunch and feel "normal" and can focus on work and the day seems "better".  Does this sound like the begginning of addiction? Should I be concerned that the real physical pain is being cused by the mental addiction to the pain relief? It scares me to think that I may be heading down that road. I respect the fact that the people in this forum have the strength to dicuss your situations and that is why i am posting this message. thanks for the advice!
Right now it seems that all this is more than I can take.  I'm a recovering alcoholic.  I've been sober for almost 19 years.  I'm 53 years old.  This started out with neuritis in my arm.  I took 7.5/500 at 2 a day, then went to 3 to 4 a day.  I backed off to 2 a day for a week then went to 1 a day.  At the end of the first day without any, I thought I was going to come apart at the seams!  I am waiting for a call from my doctor now.  The only thing that is keeping me together is darvocet I got from my mother.  I'm only taking them to try to maintain my sanity and to keep from flying apart.  I wish I had never taken the first Lortab.  I would trade the neuritis pain anytime for this withdrawal pain.  All I want to do is cry.
I have been on hydrocodone for about six months and I'm loving it! I finally found my drug of choice! I'll take 1 Norco 10/325 and 2 somas when I get to work and that makes working soooo much fun! When I get home at night i'll pop 4 more norcos and 5 somas and drink a six pack of beer and im sittin on top of the world. It makes me so warm and fuzzy and horny! If you can get them then take em cuz youll have a perfect state of mind and be in  extasy. I dont want to quit as long as im getting a 180 a month. I wish I could feel like this forever. Norcos are the best because it has the least tylonol which is better for your liver. I'm happier than ever! Pop on!
We all be waiting for you - here in hell, when you arrive, with your NEW attitude.

Stop now - trust me on this, you'll be happy you did.

Rex
go to www.prescriptionabuse.org and click on recovery stories(abusers) and read the stories. You'll see where your headed. I've been on ES's for 6 years and felt just like you do for awhile. Rememeber the old saying if it'ts to good to be true it probably is. Hydro is just that way!
Hello everyone. *waves*
I don't even know where to begin... *sigh* So many of your stories have "me" in them.
I was never prescribed Vics... but when I broke a tooth once, someone gave me their scrip, and the rest... as they say, is history. *heavier sigh* Sometimes I take up to 15 11 milligram pills a day. My husband... who doesn't do any other drugs, doesn't drink, or smoke... has gotten hooked as well. We cannot believe this has happened to us. We live for the days that our "connection" gets her scrip filled... We have done no Christmas shopping yet because.. *hangs head in shame* well... you all know why...(they cost us $4 a piece) and we have two kids. My husband keeps saying that he is too smart to have let it get this far...(aren't we all!) It was just a fun way to relax and buzz at first. Now we need them just to feel normal. *sigh* I am supposed to start Nursing school this coming fall. But I dare not do that till I kick this. This has been going on with us since May of 2002. We ran out for four days and we both just wanted to die. He works but I am a stay at home mom... and it's maddening! When we run out this time.. we both agree that we are DONE, and need to go cold turkey and just suffer cause we deserve it. Forget any help from doctors... we have ZERO health insurance. Neither of us has been to a Doctor in over 5 years for anything. I have read this forum off and on since about August.... and only had the guts to post today... and only cause I am on the evil things right now. I hate that I need them. Thank you for reading my rant... any help or advice would mean so much. I think you are all VERY brave, and just reading your words comforts me... But I am soooo very, very scared..... *sigh*

-Vamp
Congratulations for taking that first step in admitting you are addicted. It's a giant step. I've been here for a couple of months; started out with a 12-a-day hydro 10/325 habit supplemented by Jack Daniels (not a pretty combination)..smile. I'm now down to 5 hydros a day and no JD since Thanksgiving. I chose the tapering method, although others swear by the Cold Turkey method.  My advise is read-read-read; if you need advise or encouragement or just need to vent - post. There's so many inspiring and knowledgeable people on this forum - some who are now clean, some still using; so many different stories and most so inspiring.  One hint: when posting - use one of the top threads - you will probably get more responses. A lot of people don't even look at the lower threads (including myself, most of the time).  The Thomas recipe is posted throughout here - helps a lot of people.  Again, congrats for taking that first step...you can do it! Read the posts and others experiences, and you'll figure out the method and means to quit that's right for you....I'll be pulling for you!  Love/Peace, Lisabet
I thought I was so alone! I hate it someone is suffering in the same manner as I , but it is a relief to read of people who understand EXACTLY how I'm feeling.First let me start by saying that I'm 40 yrs.old.I've never drank or have ever done recreational drugs. Matter of fact up until I became a pain patient I wouldn't even take a Tylenol!Then comes pain. Pain thats non operatable. I've been to 4 doctors and all say that I'll probably have to control the pain the rest of my life with the pain killers.So for 2 years I've been taking Lortab10. Started out 3 times a day.( Which stunk anyway, because theres 24 hours in a day, so actually it should be one every 4 hours, to be controled effectivly)So you all know how it goes so I won't tell you a long story. Eventually 1 became 2, 2 became 3..and now I'm up to 4 about 5 times a day!(or more!)Now I have to take so many that they just make me sleepy. Used to they allowed me to function and gave me a better quality of life from the pain. Now it takes away the pain but I have to take so many at a time , I get sleepy, and to tired to function.I've never had to deal with anything like this and to be perfectly honest....I'm scared to death.I realize I can not keep taking these.Its a never ending veciuos cycle of hell!No doctor would prescribe what at this point would be nessary, and I get sick of running out to early and trying to figure out what in the hell I'm going to do until my refill date. Then if you go to the streets you'll be flat broke in a matter of days...so my only option is to quit. This is Sat. and I deciced to quit yesterday. I'm beging the withdarwals and its scaring me to death. Hot one minute cold the next, cold sweats, hurting, naseau, dirreahs, yawning uncontrollably(does anyone do that?) ...NO ENERGY at all, weak so VERY weak. Please some one tell me how to make this easier, and how long will it last? PLEASE  somebody...HELP ME!! Nobody close to me knows the hell in which I'm going through.  Then I wonder what after getting clean I'm going to do about my pain.....PLEASE help..I'm a wreck!
Welcome to our world! I to will also have to take some amount of hydro for life due to a medical condition. The key will be to "use" not "abuse". Read through all the post, the comments do not always pertain to the original question. When you post always do it at the top so more people will see it.

I decided to try the taper method versious cold turkey, unfortunately there is no easy out from the withdrawals. There is something called the Thomas Recipe listed under several questions that several memembers swear by for withdrawals.

Read all the post, make a commitment and stay strong. My daily thought is "Take less today than yesterday".

Your not alone, and you will make it!

Teeitup!
To add to what T said, you are not alone, and there are a lot of weapons at your disposal.

In my opinion, the first step mentally for you will be to level with someone you love, and possibly your doctor. This was a huge turning point for me.

This forum ddoes work wonders, but, again in my opinion, you need that fleash and blood perosn whom you love there helping you.

My pain management doc always says to me "wanting to get off the pain meds is admirable, but you have to replace it with something. My back pain right now would be best described as "tolerable", but your pain and TeeitUp's pain is much ,more than that. So ask yourself this question "Would you be comfortable morally if you could cut your dose by 2/3?" Then ask "If I cut my dose by 2/3, will I be able to function physically?" If the answers are yes, then tapering to that does in a slow controlled manner is the way to go, IMO.

Plenty of help here to do that.

Welcome, and God's Grace to you...

Rex
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND!FIRST LET ME SAY TO "TEEITUP" I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST UP TOP, AND SECOND I WISHED I COULD BE SO DISIPLINED . IF I WAS I WOULDN'T BE IN THIS MESS. IF  HAVE THEM, I'VE FOUND...I'M GOING TO TAKE THEM!GUESS TAPERING OFF IS OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR ME. BEEN HEARING ALOT ABOUT METHODONE(SP). WHATS UP WITH THAT?I CAN'T TELL MY DOCTOR HOW BAD ITS GOTTEN, HE'LL CUT ME OFF ALL TOGETHER, AND I'M TOO ASHAMED TO TELL ANYONE JUST HOW BAD IT IS. SOMEONE JUST KEEP TALKING TO M! THANKS A MILL!
Top post on top just click on any question, go to the bottom and post a comment just as you did here. You can email me @ ***@**** and I'd be glad to give you a number where i can be reached if you like! Keep trying!

Teeitup!
I'm so glad I'm not alone.  But the problem for me is, I had major back surgery last year, they have referred me to pain management, and they tell me I will be on these even longer.  I'm not only afraid of what it's gonna be like when I have to get off of these, but what it is going to do to my body within the length of time I still have to take them.  I have tried only taking one a day, and the pain is just too much for me to try and stop now.  Should I ask the doctors to change me to something else???  My pharmacist tells me it can cause liver damage.
Taking them after surgery for true pain is not bad, Drs. will tell you the stress your body is under for real pain is not good for you and pain relief is okay. See the pain management dr., try and get off the meds. as soon as the pain allows, read these post to remind you what will happen if you do abuse them and work on getting your back stronger. Good luck!

teeitup!
Hi, I would really appreciate some information if anyone knows. This is a brief summary of my situation I really don't want to lay my problems on anyone else, I have been taking hydrocodone 10/500 for about 18 months. I take approximatly 12 a day (taking 2 every 3 hours) before that I was taking any kind of cough syrup I could get my hands on that was a narcotic. I am very concerned about my liver, does anyone know if this is a doseage that is sure to have caused liver damage, what I mean is would this be an unusually high dosage for a lortab addict? I want to quit but I have not been able to. I am very afraid but I sometimes feel it is to late to quit, other times I think I am just worrying for nothing. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am so afraid of trying to quit. When I run out for just a little while (a few hours) it hurts so much. I just don't know what to do anymore.
Your not bothering anyone, we are all in the same boat. To say if you have caused liver damage is tough but at your dose and length of time probably not. You need to read all he post under each question, there are sevral methods for either tapering back or going cold turkey. Also post your comment under one of the top questions even if it does not pertain to that question. That way more people will see it, and everyone cuts in that way. read the post, try taking less today than yesterday, tell someone you can trust that you need help and come here often. Merry Christmas!

teeitup!
Hey Welcome
At your doseage of 6 grams tylenol/day, you could be on your way to damaging it; however, the good news, the liver CAN BE an amazingly resilient organ(and luckily one of the few that regenerates itself).
The general rule of thumb(not engrained in stone)is exceeding 4 grams(4000 mg.) is potentially dangerous and toxic to the liver.
You run the risk, as you are injesting an amount that exceeds the "cutoff" DAY AFTER DAY.
During this time that is so difficult to cut back, at least pick up some milk thistle, which can be a very effective antioxidant.
Hospitals in Germany kept an abundance on site, as their were so many problems with poisonous mushrooms, and in turn liver damage.
Read up on it.....it is an amazing product. Maybe consult your Doc. also.
As far as what is normal for an addict.....it is all over the map.
You definately don't stick out as an anomaly; however I don't say that to make you feel as though you should continue using at your doseage. I know people hooked on a few/day and people on 20, 30, plus/day.
The fear you have is all to common about given up the pills; but the one thing I can Guarentee, it will only get worse, so now would be a good time to try and give it up!!!!
Post more, and good luck.
Percs No More
Hi all!
First, let me say that boards like this really do help.  Support from your fellow humans is more than anyone could ask for -- it shows you that you are not alone.

My story is as follows -- I'm a young one, 17 to be exact.  I've dabbled in various intoxicants, but found hydrocodone to be the best.  At first, my friend gave me some of his moms, and I loved them!  The first time I was just all warm and fuzzy; the euphoria was incredible, but I had no steady supply, just every couple of weeks he's give me 3 or 4.  Than I started working at a place where 3 of the waitressess would always have a steady supply.  I was around 15 at the time, and I figured "well, if they're popping them recreationally, it must be ok" -- big mistake.  Over the months, I started getting more and more, and much more regularly.  It got to the point where I would sneak into the back room when no one was around and take a couple for myself.  I just kept thinking that if they did them (I had the utmost respect for these people), it was ok to.  Once I took a sandwhich baggy full of them, which got me fired.  I thought she was a friend, but all she did was yell at me, she didn't understand (even though she was addicted by this point too).  Than I started taking pain pills from my friend's grandmother, who had large amounts.  Zydones and Vicodins, and once Percodans.  The Percodan has aspirin in it, not tylenol.  I was taking so many so regularly, my stomach started bleeding.  I knew I had to stop.

I still get my hands on whatever I can, but I'll tell you this...I'm also a very spiritual person.  I know a great deal about all the religions, and found that Buddhism (not really a religion, more a "vehichle") has much to offer to you, no matter what religion you are.  A part of Buddhism is MEDITATION; you learn to take control of your mind, which in turn gives you more control over your body.

I've found that meditation is an invaluable tool in helping with withdrawl (withdrawal) -- it's amazing what one can train one's body to do.  Note that it does take some practice to get the hang of (once done, you'll have incredible powers of concentration, calmness, and control over one's self, especailly with willpower), and you only get out of it what you put into it.  But if you stick with it, IT HELPS GREATLY.  Prayer will also help you seek the willpower needed to overcome.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to anything, nor am I saying that religion is the lone tool to fight off addicition; it's a tought thing, I know.   But it does help, and if anything, it'll brighten your day!  If I can help anyone at all, please IM me (Butnik2000) or email me (***@****)

Seek peace!  And thank you all for the help you've given me.
--Cosmic Charlie
Hi All...

I see that I am not the only one having a hard time coming off Methadone!  I have been on for more than 15 years and I finally have the nerve to try and get off! I started at 65mg, after a few years went down to 30mg. tried detoxing once 5mg a month got to 15mg and had to go back up couln't go to work.  A few years later in a better frame of mind (that helps!)I tried going down 1mg. every other week, I am down to 6mg.It was ok until now. Starting familiar withdrawal symptoms-hot & cold flashes, no energy, headache, aches, not sleeping etc. I would really like to see this through to the end, any suggestions on how to cope? Do you think that seeing I am going down so slow that it will get worse than this?  And what will happen when it gets to 2mg and then stops? Help me please!
Back again,
Checking to see if anyone sent any suggestions or answered any of my questions. Please someone show me the light!
Someone please read and help..
Hi. I just read your comment. I am so sorry. I don't know anything about Methadone withdrawl (withdrawal). I'm having trouble with just the NORCO. I thouht I was possibly "Tapering" down as a result of circumstances (posted elsewhere yesterday under "Physical Withdrawl (withdrawal)"). But I don't think so any more. Today has been HELL! So, I consider this "DAY 1". I have read elsewhere on these boards of people talking about Methadone withdrawl (withdrawal). Have you talked to your DR. about withdrawl (withdrawal) from Methadone? I'm sorry sweetie, I don't know what to tell you...But if you will search around on these boards, you will find some info. Also...(as I found out by mistake) you should go back to the first page of this topic (addiction) where the forum lists begin and post there on the top thread(weather or not your question corresponds). It seems everybody stops there first. Someone with knowledge will answer you. They may not have scrolled down this far today.  God Bless...Just Hang On.
hi guys! thank you sooo much for being here. i have had the easiest time detoxing just reading all the comments. i didnt get a chance to read the recipe before i had done already detoxed just about. its been 2 in a half weeks now. this isnt the longest time for me though. 1 month is the longest clean point since i took the first pill 5 years ago. see i have pseudo tumor cerebri and have had to have2 head shunts placed and 2 spinal shunts placed. the head shunts were ok i recovered effortlessly, but the back surgeries were the ones that have left me depending on pills. i am 27 years old with 2 kids and it makes me sick to think of all that they have missed out on because of me either hurting from back pain or to spaced out to even care. i have a drs script for 120 pills every month or 4 a day. every month when i get those pills i binge on them in about 5 days. then im left looking crazy cause im like a mad woman w/out my fix. thats why im detoxing now, i guess waiting for refill day. i think i can do it this time, take it how it was prescribed. nobody understands, i was molested from 7-18 years of age by the man i call dad and my mom actually took him back so everytime i go to see my sibs i see him. i need somthing to take the edge off of that encouter. not to mention the painfull back pain i endure every day. what to do what to do what to do, anybody!!!
I am now on my 7 day without vicoprophen . I have to go to the doctor tommorrow to refill my presciption if you read any of my post before . How I take my meds for my hierniated and degrenerated discs is as recommended and I make myself withdrawl (withdrawal) every month by throwing 5-6 days away in the toilet i have been taking 6 7.5/200  a day for 3 years and refuse to up any dose and from reading your post I have instilled I will never change that dose "except pain permit to lower it (this board has helped me temedously to make that vow)(I thank you all ). Well each month I do this it becomes easier this month wasn't that bad . I wasn't feeling myself and was a little depressed and had the runs and felt out of it but less each time I do this . Today is my 7th day . And the lights are on and I feel great . If only the damm hellbent pain in my back could be kept at bay I would never pick them up again and take another one of them . The last 6 days I have been taking the max I can of advil and excedrin quick tabs for the pain to stay at bay the only reason I am going back tommorrow to get a refill is as you see I am up and can not sleep I am in massive pain but my mind is clear , I am not jonesing to take a pill as a matter of fact I will be pised when I do take one but if I have to deal with this pain any more I am going to punch in my computer screen in next month I am going to try for 10 days at the end of the month . I figure maybe I can trick my body to let the advil and the excedrin do most of the work longer each time and hopefully I can keep doing thst till one day I will never have to deal with these pills again

P.s I sawa movie a while ago about people stranded ina plane crash that were in th wilderness . and had no cililization around them . One of my mental tricks I use during those 5-6-7 days and 8 this month is I say to myself if I was one of those people and needed to stay alive I would have to do it without pain meds . So I phyche myself out thinking that on am in that situation and there is no vicoprophen there so I just have to go on even in pain . For some reason that movie stuck with me and it's one of my mental tricks . I realy do not think I am addicted in the sence of addicted , I use my meds as prescibed on the label .I even throw them in the toliet before i get the next refill  I have one doctor and thats it . I have never purchased them illegally . But I find this a great place to talk to people and find out what would happen if I do get addicted . I think for me it theraputic and I get to see the train coming at me and reading these post from everyone lets me know I should always be on te look out . And if I can help in any way feel free to ask .I used to be a emt and paramedic for years I always liked to help people if being here and one of my post can help one person That alone is worth all the money in fort knox to me

P.s.s also As from my screen name you cn see I am a drummer and getting ona drumset and playing for hours during my pre planned withdrawls each month helps alot and music is agreat therapudic tool to I listen to songs we wrote and recorded before this injury happened to me and think of those days and god willing one day I will be back there again. And I always said I will never let this injury stop what I can do I will always do everything i did before even if I am in pain . God willing I go for final test this week to find out what surgery is in store for me and if they even want to touch the problem . I hope in my prayers tha I can be fixed .

You people have no idea how much reading all you post have awaked me to seeing what can happen if I am not onstantly on the lookout and because of that I thank you all

i dont know if you were talking to me or just in general, but i took in all that was said and thanks for your comments, i do abuse but i want to get to a point where the meds are taken correctly and not abused cause they are defenitly needed. are you slowly tappering or are you playing a game with your body? there is no need to do that to youself every month you are doing more harm than good. if you need the meds take them, if you are worried about being dependent on them i am a true testiment that stopping for a short while does nothing as far as lessening the chances of becoming addicted. try asking for less pills a month if that will help you feel better but dont throw your meds in the toilet, that contrary to what you said earlier is not taking your meds as prescribed and makes you no different then us addicts if you go right back to them every month, either you need them or you dont be real with youself and quit putting your body through that every month. you sound smart, and i know you are saying people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones, but it is easier to mentor others than it is to mentor myself, thats why im here to be mentored by yall. thanks drmmrmn
I can see what you are saying about going back on them each month but my goal is to stretch the lenght out each month I am not on them , I can deal with the pain and thats at my wits end but I figure if I can get less time on these meds before I get the surgery . I can be on my way to when if the surgery is successful get off these meds . I have talked to me doctor and he keeps telling me "there is no need to be in oain take them if your hurting ."The only reason why i get the full presciption is the feeling I get when I fluch them down the toliet it's a feeling that I know I can get rid of them and deal with it . but thanks for the post it has made me think even more . I just hope it all works out and the surgery works and I can be free of meds . The only thing that makes me go back on the meds is the pain. if the surgery works and the pain is gone . I love the feeling of being off the meds after the 5 th to 6 th day , I would love to continue that feeling of being med free but the pain is what makes me go back but if the surgery works the poain won't be there and I will not look back thats my plan god willing it happens

I thank you for your post Keeping on my mind of what can happen keeps me vigilent and always watchfull thank you again for your post
I just wanted to share with everyone my little story.  Have been a chronic back pain sufferer for several years getting different treatments mostly physical therapy for 3 years.  Finally my doctor put me on Hydrocodone 6 months.  I thought all was going to be well.  I was truly enjoying life again virtually pain free.  But it didnt take long before 1 pill every 6 hours turned to 2 then 3 until I was up to about 12 a day.  Well last week I told my wife that this is really getting out of hand and I was quitting after my script ran out.  I went cold turkey.  It was pure Hell.  I could not believe the suffering we put ourselves through.  I had restless leg syndrome, 102 degree fever and ached all over my body.  Anyway,  this lasted for around 3 to 4 days.  I am on day 6 clean and little by little I am feeling much better.  I just wanted to thank everyone in this forum because you all inspired me to quit and I feel liberated now.  Thank You all very much.

Tapia
hello i myself been on vikes 4 20years love them so much its very hard to kick i get 120 pain pills amouth of 750 es gone in 15 days then buy on the streets with draws suck...........   email me ***@****
ATTENTION!! I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS TO EASE MY NERVES!!!.  I had been taking Hydro twice a day for a tooth infection.  After my tooth infection i had some left over so i began using them for a few weeks (1 a day).  Then I ran out.. About a month later got them again once my tooth was extracted.  I didnt finish all the pills once again and i began using them for lesiure (1 every other day).  Then shortly after, I hurt my back at my new job and i took them every day for about 2 weeks.  For a total of 4 months i waz basically using the pills.  Now i am out and on day 12... My anxiety is still a ***** (Heart rate and panic attacks) but most of my symptoms are leaving.  The anxiety is enough to drive me crazy and increase my depression.  I am wondering is this the withdrawal or just anxiety..  I had the cold sweats, *****, shivers, muscle aches in my back, arms, chest, and etc.  Im on xanax but i dont want to get into to that.  How much longer may this last.  The anxiety is really my only issue.  Please Help!!!
emmy, i have came off lorcets many times but its like a kid at the candy story if u see them or they r in ur hand u will want them.. the heart thing mine does the same thing, i am trying as we speak 2 come off them, i go 2  my dr now 2 see if he can help me in any way good luck and i will be keeping up with everyone.....kris70
thank you for the stories i will be back tired of being sick so glad i found this sight, thank you all.
HI everyone i have been on Vicodin 2006 they where giving to me by the hands full than i like them i want off of them tired of chasing them down they are not fun no more stomach so upset today is my last day on them going to the doctors tom i want help been taking 6 a  day for awhile starting on 7 to 8 that is to scary for me i have a niece just died from hairon a brother who killed him self 4 years ago alcoholic i want my life back i have will power but it got lost i will get it back in time , the stories i have been reading are a big help thank you everyone.
Can someone please help me? I have been taking Hydrocone for lots of spinal and neck pain ( chronic) since about FEB of this year. I have gotten down to where I only take one pill a day. I am trying to get off of them and feel like I am losing my mind.  Is it possible that you can have withdrawals from that small amount?  I am exhibiting so many neurological symptoms.. and to be truthful.. they started before I started trying to get off of them.  

I can't explain it but I feel lightheaded, out of control,  slow.. weak... tired... and its difficult to smile I am always smiling and its always so natural but now it feels forced.. like my body doesn't want to let me. . Its so hard to express my thoughts but No i am not depressed. Its like I push my lips upwards and make the smile but the rest of my face doesnt' feel right? It feels neurological. This started about 5 days ago.. There feels like a lot of anxiety too.. even on days where I just want to be as Happy as I can.  I can't be happy because I feel completely out of control of my body and so floaty that this must be what dying feels like.

I have nothing to be sad over. I love my fiancee and my kids and my job. I make great money.. and I have hardly any stress at all so it simply can't be stress related.

Can hydrocone build up in your system and start making you feel this way even if you are only taking one a day?

I also have a pituitary tumor that i have not had MRI'd since they found it in FEB so I am wondering.. could this have ANYTHING to do with how I am feeling at all?  I am going to get  it MRI'd tomorrow but seeking answers on the hydro tonight.  

Thank you

SPACED OUT
hey, it is definitely normal that your heart beat is off when your body adjusts to just taking the pill.  Restless leg syndrome is probably what you have. Just incorporate bananas into your life style, or potassium. good luck! 16 is way to early to start this vicious cycle.  I am on my 2nd day without any hydrocodone and I don't like it, but i will like it much better when it is all out of my system and I don't have to worry about polls anymore.  You are more powerful than them!
once you go a couple of days without these pills , that will go away....all those symptoms are side effects of hydrocodone, and could be a small allergic reaction...I say get some melatonin from your local grocery store to help you sleep and stop taking them right away....it sounds like they are a lot worse for you than good.