Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Withdrawl from long term use of narcotic pain killers

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I am thankful to have found this site, as I find this a very difficult subject to talk to anyone about. Reading eveyones stories helps me feel not so alone. Here's mine. I was diagnosed with a life threatening cancer about five years ago. I was treated aggressively and apparently successfully, but the treatment left me with some chronic pain. I have been taking ms contin and oxycodone for breakthrough ever since. In addition to controlling the pain, I liked the feeling it gave me. Rather than feeling tired all the time ,I seemed to have more energy, plus a feeling of wellbeing when facing a very difficult time. Well, it looks as though the cancer is not going to get me and I want to finally put that chapter behind me and get on with life. Through it all I have maintained a busy professional life as well as being a wife and mother of school age children. So, about three days ago I cut my dosages in half, and its been rough. I think what I am experiencing is textbook withdrawl (withdrawal); leg cramps, diarrhea, feeling cold all the time, and inability to sleep. I think that is the worst, when the whole house is asleep and I am up and down, in the bed, on the couch etc, etc. I suppose I should ask my Doc about this but I have to admit I am ashamed to. My docs and the nurses have been great and have never made me bad, so I guess it is just my hang-up. I had to laugh when I read on one of the postings that this tendency to try and do it yourself is often part of the problem! Thats me, hard headed. Thanks for listening.

If you have ever been addicted before you will get addicted again after a week or two at most of using narcotics every day (and in many people after just a few days).  Even if you haven't been addicted before, since you have been taking the painkillers for about 3 weeks every day you can suffer some mild withdrawal symptoms which it sounds like you are having.  Try going back on them and tapering down by taking about 10% less every day or two until you are off them.  It should help reduce the symptoms.
i am 28 years of age and just had hip replacement surgery on april 10th.  i was given different types of narcotic pain killers in the hospital, and it did not seem to matter then.  now i am home with a prescription filled for percocet and vikadin, (doesn't matter which i take) and have been taking 2 pills at night when the pain really gets bad.  this has only been since april 11th, and i just went off the pain killer this morning, april 30th.  i did not think i was going to suffer such side effects after using this drug not even 1 month!  i have severe leg fatigue, moody, nauseated and cannot manage to keep warm.  get the chills constantly along with dizzy spells... is this normal for not being on the percocet that long?

regards,
deb
Could you please supply information on the withdrawal symptoms and side effects of getting off Methodone.
The withdrawal symptoms are the same as any narcotic: severe flu-like symptoms combined with anxiety, cravings, etc.  They are actually worse and prolonged in coming off methadone than just about any other narcotic, which is why I don't recommend people getting on methadone unless there is no other reasonable option.
I've found through that one can experience leg cramps after taking hydrocodone (Vicodin) for as short a period as one week 7.5 mg three or four times per day. You may want to reduce dosage gradually as it seems worse when just stopping cold.
I agree with Brian as to the withdrawl (withdrawal) from the substitution of methadone.  The molecular structure of methadone makes that substance bind to the narcotic receptors in the brain.  The half-life and metabolites remain in the blood stream for quite a while.  
Avoid any methadone withdrawl (withdrawal) program unless this is your last (or close to) resort. May the Force be with you!
I'm in the same boat as shelby.2 major back surgeries in 6 years
i'm on 80mg oxycontin and 20mg of the short act. md tells me i'm dependent not addicted, but I need the meds to maintain. I can't stop on my own, Ive tried. Last teat I spet 8000.00 on the repid detox. that lasted 2 months, what a waste. I can't seem to find a
professional in the chicago area to help me get off this ****.

I would really appreciate any and all suggestions!

THANH YOU
There should be plenty of addiction specialists in the Chicago area.  Look in the yellow pages; call treatment centers and just ask around.  Look for a program or doctor using buprenorphine to detox you.  It is pretty painless and FAR cheaper than UROD.  I've been through the rapid detox and felt like death afterward.  However, it is not the fault of the detox that you relapsed.  No detox is a permanent solution.  It is just a first step.  The far harder part is staying off the drugs.  Finally, if you have chronic pain, you may want to try a pain clinic.  They may decide you need something like methadone for your pain.  Good luck.
Id like to find out everything I can about vikadin because my friend keeps telling me its god's gift to her. She takes it everday and says it solves all her problems. Can someone (ANYONE) send me some info about it. What is it, what does it do, effects, anything ur willing to tell me. Im really worried about my friend. Please help! E-mail me right away. his_angel***@****

Thank you all soooo much. Anything u send will mean alot to me.
<3,
Some one who cares about people like you
I know what you feel and what you are going through, as i am dealing with the same myself. I started about 8 yr ago and after hitting bottom I decided to stop cold turkey. This I can recomend not doing without a strong support group to help you. I have only been clean for about 2 months. Every day is constant fight to stay alive. I had to stop working in my trained profession as a nurse. I found it very difficult to even look at pain killers. It seems my body does something new every day just to remind me of how much I miss and want the drugs. However I know if I go back i will surly die. I can only say if you want to stop it's all up to you and only you.
to angel do not even think about tryinr vicodin i used it to get off coke and this is much harder. i did 70.000 in cola in about 2 years and after 3 days i had no urge no withdrawl (withdrawal) but vicodion is another story i love the motherfuckers i feel like i am superman when i first started taking them. i could work 18 hours a day  and ask for more byt now 3 years later i need 8 to get out of bed 5 hours later i need 8 more to get through the day.i make more money in 1 year than most people dp in 5 and im about to lose it all im in day 1 of quitting and im already thinking if giving up. please dont start please.u have my email u or anyone can talk to me anytime i check my enail daily
Hi Again everyone

Neil from the vicodin board has deleted all the the posts from here that people were posting on his board.  THANK GOD!!  Like I said ,I am pretty new here, but this is private, at least to me,everyone have a good night and please write me.  ***@****

Take care

Patrice
Pain killers especially vicodin are very addicting.  I was clean and sober for 12 years, and due to my age(46) I started having many problem with chronic pain.  I was put on vicodin and within 3 years was taking at least ten norcos a day, and went back to my drug of choice heroin.  My life is in a shambles, my hubby is starting to talk about using again, and sometimes it like I dont wanna die, but I want to go to sleep until its all over.  Can anyone relate?  I have made a decision to take Dans suggestion and get on a 21 day methadone detox.  I have to before I just waste away.  Addiction never goes to sleep, it waits for us every ******* day of our lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am at the point of the would have should have could haves.  My diease is running wildly in my mind, body and spirt now and I have to stop befor I die.  I am so lucky I found this group, you guys let me know as long as there is a breath left in my body, I have hope to be in recovery from this deadly diease that tells me I dont have a diease.

I love you all

***@****
Patrice,
please write back and tell us how you are doing, I feel for you so much. I have never used heroin but am addicted to vicodin and know somewhat of the struggle you must be going through. There are people who care about you. I have read your posts on the vicodin board and found you here also. I need to know that you are okay. I will say a prayer for you.
I have seen heroin addiction close up.... my daughter. I think your post was the best example of the sleeplessness of the beast who awakens at the slightest provocation. I am printing your post for my daughter who is coming up on 10 months clean. I don't want her to think this is over just by osmosis. So thank you for sharing your personal pain right now. I think you may be aware that much of the activity on this board is up near the top... so scroll up and maybe post there. It seems not too many people continue to post down past the middle of the board. That seems to be where many of the treads discontinue. I mention this because there are active discussions now on the buprenorphine detox which have helped a number of participants in this forum. Right now Maryanne has left ( today I think ) for a bup detox, Bob K. is clean 6 months after a bup detox and there are others. If you have not seen this information I just wanted to bring it to your attention. You have been clean 12 years so I am sure you have the experience to know what works for you... you have utilized great recovery tools for a very long time. I am praying that once you detox you can pick up where you left off. Please let us know how you are doing. Love, Brighty
Hi all, I have read about your anger with the drug and the addiction. My brother in law had this addiction and is trying to kick. However the love I have for my sister is directing my anger at the seller and the doctors who pre-scribe this drug so freely and in such large amounts. The guy who sells to my brother in law gets a script for 180 tabs every two weeks. Is this normal? What must that Dr be thinking. He sells these tabs for 5 dollars a piece. I am angry with the supplier. Am I misdirected in my anger, who knows?  Oh well keep "charlie" in your prayers! thanks for the chance to vent! Mara
You didn't say what drug was being RX'd but I assume it's something like Lorcet or Percocet.  For me, 180 pills is a two month supply! Your brother-inlaw is being prescribed in excess of ten per day and that's a lot of pills!  I don't think this is right at all and who knows what kind of doctor is involved in this.  Somebody is eventually going to jail at any rate.  I'd be angry too!
I don't know much about pill addiction per se... so I know JB is telling you the facts.... this doctor is a legal pusher... and likely involved in illegal activity...yep... jail is the next stop for someone, unfortunately it usually tends to be the victim, the addict... you have a right to be angry... remember when you direct your anger that addiction is very much about profit... when you make your list of all who profit "Charlie" won't be anywhere on that list... I think you will begin to understand and reassess the drug laws in this country. God bless you and I will pray for Charlie and his family. Love, Brighty
Hi JB & Brighty,

Thanks for your replies. I guess I wasn't clear on my "post a note"...huh? Anyhow "Charlie" wasn't pre-scribed these he WAS jsut buying them. It started with a legitimate pain from an injury and then of course he was hooked. This Dr has many patients he pre-scribes to and they all sell unless they are hooked themselves. Anyhow good news I talk to a "friend" and gave a list of his Patients that I know are sellers, and he is going to turn it over to the DEA. I want to be a part of getting these off the streets. I am 15 years drug & alcohol free and I have a 19 year old son and many nieces and nephews to protect. We have two pain doctors in this town and one Dr you so not see his patients "hookes" the other they all are hooked! The one who is free with his meds has actually lost three patients to suicide. That should speak for itself. Anyhow keep praying, I appreciate it and God will bless! Mara
Well, just be sure that the ones who get pinned are not the poor souls who are addicted and trying to support a habit... they are victims... those who sell and do not have a habit are profiting from someone's misfortune and they of course deserve to be punished... but as I said... they are usually the ones sending the addicts to do the dirty work... and to suffer the consequences... be sure you know what you are doing... all you may accomplish is to keep the industry in business all the while thinking you are doing the right thing. These doctors need to be put out of practice... and you are to be commended for trying to accomplish that...and congratulations on your personal accomplishment of staying clean for all those years. Love, Brighty
Is 8-10 Percocets 7.5s' a day considered addictive?  I'm at this point and I know I start to get irritable when I stop using.  The more I take, the more the body/mind demands.  These are truly addictive drugs and I become more obsessed with them every day.  Very insidious at first but over time they whack you in the face, like being caught in a deadly constriction of a serpent.  Unravelling the beast must be a *****.  I knew better but life's circumstances and having a legitimate script for tylox after a trip to an ER after having a kidney stone sent me down the path of narcotic seeking, using, and scamming.  I admit that I still feel great when using but where will it end?  And am honestly not looking forward to withdrawal/quitting.   How do I learn to live again.  I need support.  Help,
I just have a comment. After being addicted to vicodin for 5 years..at the end, I was taking 60-70 a day..it was pretty ugly! I would get clean for about 3 to 4 months, then the anxiety would build up to such a hight level, I would relapse. I went to Betty Ford and then finally to a rapid detox procedure in Richmond,VA. It was a nightmare! Beating myself up because I couldn't control myself. Well, after my last attempt at soberity I have remained sober because of ONE thing and one thing only! It's Wellbutrin! I have been taking 150mg once a day for 6 months and I have stopped craving pills, alcohal (alcohol), cigs and anything else that was excessive. My moods have improved. My depression is gone and I am living a more healthy life. I put on a lot of weight during my addiction so that's the only thing pissing me off right now. I am holding onto the weight despite great effort to lose it. My body has to heal before the weight comes off..I suspect that's due to the fact I totaled my liver..I encourage any of you to research Wellbutrin and go on it. It will take about a month to start working but it will work! Trust me, I have done it all and this was the only thing that worked! I will have to be on it for another year, but it's way better than the other pill : ) Good luck to you. I know it isn't easy! feel free to ask me any questions at ***@**** I'd be happy to help!
After five years, I've finally worked up the courage and realized that I need help....I'm only 25 years old..will be 26 next month..and my life has gone a full 180..i used to be such a good person..after years of being teased in high school, I made it--never missed a day..worked 50 plus hrs just to get myself through college to have my dream of being a foreign language teacher..in my 2nd year of college when i was bar tending, someone (who is now a friend of mine, which makes this harder) gave me a vicodin for pain that i had with a hernia that i had for 3 years..i didn't have benefits to get surgery..so i seen that as my "cure" of pain..never was i told that they were addicting..boy, after taking my first one i felt great..i thought, "wow, takes away the pain and my shyness"..it had taken me 2 years to realize that i was addicted when I experiened my first withdrawl (withdrawal)..i just thought i was sick..but that's when i learned it was withdrawl (withdrawal)..i stopped for only a few days and realized i had a problem--bc i missed them..i should had stopped then, but i went back..now, 5 years later..i'm no longer teaching bc i can't handle putting my students thru hell for days i don't have a pill...and i was such a good teacher..i never dared to tell anyone--especially my family bc i'm so afraid of what they will think..the only people who know are the people who supply it..and they always make me feel like "you know, it's so common nowadays..don't say you're gonna quit and don't"..and then they don't call me for a while till i call them for more..i pray for everyone..my next step of courage is just to finally go to meetings to get my life back..the worst thing is feeling like a prisoner in your own body and feeling like your soul is dying..sometimes i get the strength to go a week w/o them..but though the physical withdrawl (withdrawal) is hell..i think the mental part is worse..bc after a week i have all these feelings returning and just don't know how to handle them..i'll stop now bc i know i'm typing a lot..i pray for everyone and i will keep in touch..i pray that we give each other strength  to beat whatever is driving us to continue taking these pills...Love ya all..

mike
I'm really glad I found this website. I was taking 10 to 15 lorcets a day for over a year. It got to where I had to take 3 just to get up in the morn. In addition I started drinking and smoking after going for yrs without those vices. On July 5th 07 I went to my doctor for help to get off the pills and had to pay $65.00 just to be told that there was nothing he could do to help me. So I went home and suffered. It was much worse than I expected. The depression is the worst part. It's been a month and a half and I feel alot better, but still very weak. Does anyone know how long this will last. I talked to a Doctor who was addicted to this stuff and he said it was 3 months to feel normal for him.

Chuck
Hi, everyone im new here. Yall seem like a great group of people. ive been takinbg pills for bout 5 years nows and the alst two years ive gotten so bad that im losing my mind i have no memory im screwing up at work at home my family nearly has turned there backs on me ive been taking 150 to 300 mgs of OC, VIcodin, lorcets, norcols, Ms contins for the last year  im on my thrid tim e quitting right now as we speak and im on day two i feel terrible. this is the worst withdrawals ive ever felt before. ive woke up everymorning for a year now in pain because i have no drugs in me. addiction to this stuff is the worst. biggest regret of my life. and i was wondering if anyone knows ways of keeping the withdrawals to a mininum i know its not good to quit cold turkey thats its life threatening but at this point if i keep eating its life threatening  i misss the old me before i started taking these things  please right back id like to know ow to kepp the withdrawals down while doin so cold turkey or jsut to keep my mind busy any ideas?  

Thankyou everyone Ray
I am trying to get off pain meds but can't seem to do it.  I have an chance to use methadone to detox off the oxycodone, but does anyone know if while on the methadone i will be able to clean the oxycodone out of my system or once of the methadone will i just have the same cravings and withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  I know that it is also adictive, but i would plan on only using it for a few days.  Does anyone know if this will work?
All you can do is gradually cut your dose down a little everyday, like cut the pills in fractions...but you may need somebody else that isn't addicted, to hold your meds for you. And maybe some antianxiety meds would also help out with the withdrawals.
i have a back injury from 2003. since then i have been taking 2-40mg of slow release oxy, 1-10mg of oxy at 7 in the morning i then take 8-10 percs  for breakthrough pain and then 2-40mg of slow release oxy, 1-10mg of oxy at 7 in the evening. i have been doing this for the last 2 years.  i have depression and memory loss as well i get very confused at times during the day. i had back surgery in May of 2007 and i have to get off the pills as i can not take the side effects anymore. i am so scared and find i make things up to hide the memory loss and then forget what i have said. how do i get off and still conrol the pain. i want to be free of this and feel so lost.  is the effects normal and will i get better.  thx so much  Marty
YOu will probably want to hit "back to forum" under this post and post a new question.. This thread you posted on is very old it was started in 99 so it will probably get overlooked.. I would hate for someone to not see your post.. so post a question and introduce yourself and your problem.

To me it sounds like you are taking a pretty good amount of meds.. they will not be easy to get off. Will your doctor help you taper??  Does he have a plan for what you can do for pain after you are off them?? Have you tried to stop taking them before??
I too, have dealt with addiction to hydrocodone and it is such a hard road.  I had multiple surgeries, teeth extraction and injuries from a car accident.  Then I suffered from shingles of the face.  I was given opiates for all of these problems.  No one starts out wanting to be an addict.  We are all sweet little babies born into this world of pain and sorrow.  And life can hurt us mentally as well as physically.  I struggle with addiction on a daily basis.  I will go for months without anything.  I will suffer pain, but I just try so hard not to take anything, other than OTC meds, but it seems like I always go back to the doctor or ER for help, because the pain gets the best of me.  I pray constantly for the Lord to deliver me from this horrible curse, but I believe that until He's ready, it's a path I have to walk daily.  I guess we all have a cross to bear, in some way.  But I will tell you all this.  It is very true.  I have almost died several times, from overdose, and I have suffered from seizures from these meds.  Granted, they are a GODSEND for ACUTE pain, whether it be from injury, or teeth extraction or surgery, or broken bone, etc.  But as soon as you get through the main pain, it is best to get off of them as soon as possible, or you will most likely want more and more like I did.  I am a Christian Mother and Grandmother, Wife and Sister and Daughter, and I NEVER would have Ever thought this could happen to me in a million years, but it did.  Almost every night I pray and ask God to deliver me from this pain.  I ask him to protect me from the devil's temptaions and help me to be strong for him and my family and myself.  And I pray that Jesus will forgive me.  And I know that he is our Loving Father in heaven and he cares about our every need.  I fall down and get back up and just keep trying.  I will pray that He will heal ALL of US here on this earth.  It's real easy for me to say that I have Never Ever seen a street drug, even though I grew up in the 50's and went through the hippie days of marijauna.  I came from a good Christian home and I Honestly never ever saw it on campus at school, cause I ran around with good girls and didn't get into trouble, cause I wanted my Mama and Daddy to be proud of me and I wanted Jesus to love me and I wanted to go to heaven.  I Have to Believe that God understands all of us and what we're going through.  I know that someday, these temptations will be laid to rest.  It may not be till the day I die, I just don't know.  But Good always wins over evil.  And God will win over satan in the end.  He will snuff him out and lock him and all of his temptations of the human spirit in a hole, that will Never be opened again and sealed Eternally.  God bless you all and if I could ever tell someone how they can help me is "Please Don't Judge Me Till You've Walked In My Shoes."  I love you all with the love of Christ.
God Bless You all!
I'm sorry to take up more space here, but I'm afraid I wasn't quite descriptive enough in my post about myself.  I just wanted to say this.  I too, like many of you, enjoyed the fact that these drugs killed my pain, but I also Loved the warm and fuzzy feeling that came within a few minutes of taking them.  It was like nothing I had ever had before.  I had Never had a drink, or smoked a cigarette, and I fell in love with the feeling.  I even began to get excited about an upcoming surgery.  And when I fell and broke my ankle, I remember thinking, "Oh it hurts, but at least I'll get some pain pills!"  And before long, the 5mgs didn't work, then I went up to the Lortabs (7.5 mgs).  After a few more surgeries, I went up to the Norcos, which are 10 mgs.  Before long I was taking 3 at a time then 4, then one night, my doctor gave me some demerol pills and I took 5 of them and I almost died.  You would think I would have learned a valuable lesson.  But no.  Not me.  I would go off of them and then something else would happen and I was back on them again and begging for refills.  I lost the respect of several doctors and I knew what I was doing was so wrong, but I just didn't know how to help myself.  Then before long, I caught myself craving them and even "inventing" injuries that the doctors couldn't see, like back pain, or headaches.  I told myself that even though I knew it was so wrong, that they weren't "street drugs" or "illegal".  So I went on with this for quite a while, then I suffered from a seizure.  I have no recollection of it, but my husband and son do.  It scared them to death.  When this takes a hold of you, you become selfish.  You no longer have any interest in your hobbies that once brought you so much joy.  You don't want to get up and go to your job at work.  You don't care if you see your grandchildren, all you think about is the drug, and how you can get more of it without getting into trouble with the doctors.  I once took 10 norcos and was eating and went to sleep with food in my mouth and woke up the next morning with the same piece of chicken in my mouth.  It is by the grace of God I didn't choke to death.  Before long, you just want to take your pills, watch tv, read, and sleep.  Relationships take a backseat.  Even your husband and children.  You loose your soul to the drugs.  I had been off of them for over a year, and was so happy and doing wonderful and was just getting back to my love of art, when my father passed away.  I turned to the drugs immediately.  It didn't hurt so bad when I layed in my bed and felt "the good feeling" pass over my body.  I used them for comfort.  I began to use them to help me sleep, because I didn't want to face the fact that I had lost the most important man in my life besides my husband.  Before long, I knew that I had to get off of them because they weren't working anymore, and because they were depressing me again.  It's such a "Yo Yo" thing......Pain pill addiction.  I guess I just wanted to explain myself a little more.  Sorry for getting so detailed, but I just needed to vent.  I am now on the road to recovery and I am better than ever.  I realize that someday in my future, I may have a need for them, due to intense pain or surgery or God Forbid, cancer.  But I will try with all my heart to use them sparingly and only when I absolutley can't take the pain.  I am Not perfect, nor will I Ever be.  Only Jesus is perfect.  And people who act like they could Never get addicted to any substance, have no knowlege about what we fight each day, or either they are Super Lucky!  Thanks again for letting me vent and remember Jesus is with us and he Knows that we are weak, because we are only human.  I am praying for His Strength because I want to be the best I can be in this life for my family, friends and most of all His Child!
This is a very old post .  You will get many more responses if you post a new question.
I am not sure if this site is active or not, but I see couple of posts from couple of days ago.
I am a mother.  My son is 24 years old, and he has addiction to pain killers.  I found out about it about six months ago when I found pills and also some cocaine in his room.  He used to go out every night with friends to parites. Friends used to come to our house going to his room a lot, however after I found out about this he promised me to stop using, and stayed home since.  He has not been out with friends for the past 6 months.  I check everything, his text messaging, his room, his myspace, and whatever I can think of or have the access to.  He tells me that he does take pain killers every now and then however it is not like before.  He tells me that he took many different pain killers which include OC.  He also started school which is online and is studing to build a career for himself.  The problem is that I don't trust him.  I see and feel things which does not seem right.  I feel very strongly that he is addicted and he is suffering.  I found out about a week ago and he has been taking money from my account for the past month (over $2000) without me knowing.  He told me that he did that because he was afraid to tell me that someone from the past that he owed money to was back and wanted his money.  So he had to do it without me knowing because he felt that his life was in danger.  He also told me that for the rest of the money he owed to this guy he traded his ps3.  However later on I found out that he sold his ps3 to a friend for 350 dollars.  I confronted him and he said that he sold it to pay the rest of the money he owed to this guy.  Since I found out that he took money from my account I have told him that he had to go to rehab if he wanted to live with me.  He left to go to his dad's house and has been trying to talk to me to convince me that he did not need to go to the rehab and he has been doing fine and just taking couple of vicodine here and there.  I told him that I did not care if he was taking one pill a month or one pill a week or one pill a day.  He has to go to rehabe and clean his system completely.  He has learne to be a smooth talker, but I don't play his game no more.
I have done some research online, but I need to know from someone who either is addicted or has been addicted, that how easy it is to end the abuse and what are the symptoms for people with addiction.  And if any suggestion can be given to me.  This is a very difficult time.  Kids don't understand what kind of stress they put on their parents for making the wrong choices.
By the way a person who is addicted, does know that he or she is addicted?! Thanks.
I have a pill problem. Mostly to vicoden. I want to get off of them. I'm scared of my body withdrawing and getting really sick. What is out there that can stop the withdrawling?
Try copying your post and start a new one (Post a Question button)
This is an old post and besides, you need your own post so you will get the answers needed.
I myself am dealing with an addiction to painkillers.I don't know ho many times I have tried quitting,and can tell you from experiance that there is nothing out there that can help you deal with the withdrawls that you will feel.And if you ask a Doctor for help,all that they will tell you is that eventhough the withdrawls are uncomfortable,they will not kill you.So eventhough you feel like dying inside,they wont kill you.I can sympathize with everything that you are going to experience for I am going on my first day without.
Hi all. This is a place to talk plain. no ********. And I appreciate it. I'm an enabler, of sorts, because the subject is my wife of 25 years. This is about her and her back surgery in 2000 and the narcotics. I'll spare you the drama, but she has been FORCED to reduce her pain meds consumption by 50%, and quick. It's not fair, but she knows it is better for her in the long run. So her mind is around this, and made up.

So it's withdrawl (withdrawal) time. And I'm scared. There. I said it.

What do I need to know, and expect?

peace,
arby53
this is an old thread u posted on...go aead and post a new question so attention will be brought to ur needs....go to the health pages and readup on the thomas recpe and amino protocol..lots of good info there...lots of support here....can she taper down a bit or does she have to do this pronto?
I have been taking methadone and norcos for almost a year now, I am still on them now because the withdraws are so bad. I really want to get clean but the addiction is getting the best of me. sometimes I cant find any pills and I go crazy and look every where. I feel like my mind races and I cant think straight. I haven't been clean in along time and I'm scared im gonna get liver or kidney failure. I dont even know the life expectancy of someone like me and I'm a mother. I'm really scared  
My husband has a million problems with his back so he gets 30mg roxys. They are the Devil!!! I started taking them just for fun, its not fun anymore. I can relate with someone that wrote how they make you have energy, how you can do anything on them, how they give you the courage and ambition to do things that you normally couldn't do, I know it all, and I've been so stupid cuz I was fortunate enough to get off them!!! The way I got off them was methadone (40mg). They work!!! All you do is start off by taking a whole one for a few days, then you break them in half, then you break them in quarters, and then your off!! My problem is that I'm from Florida and in Florida they are quick to help you, now I'm in Kentucky and here they could care less if you're throwing up, having diareah, hot and cold sweats, legs feel like you want to cut them off, stomach pain, not sleeping (moving to the couch to the bed, afraid you're going to wake everyone in the house) and I am a mother of a 7 year old, so I have to pretend that I'm ok or that I'm sick from a cold cuz detoxing is like flu symtoms (symptoms). I need 2 find methadone,pls, its the only thing that helped me, If anyone can help me I would forever be in your dept, seriously, if someone can help me, I would drive, fly, whatever it takes to help you if you helped me. One thing about me is that I don't lie and I keep my promises. If you ever needed me, I would be there. I was that friend that people had that if they needed a ride at 4:00am, I was the one they called, so if anyone has methadone and don't want it, if they know where to get it or have a way of getting it, PLEASE help me, I want my life back, I want to be a fun mother to my son like I used to be. I just want to be me, and without taking something cuz I know if I keep taking them, I'm going to die. My right arm and leg go numb, my heart beats out of my chest and to top it all off, I snort them and I can feel my nose withering away to nothing. I know I have some sort of blood clot cuz I can see my veins and I never could before, they stick out bad. PLEASE HELP ME. PLEASE.My name is Vicki, you can E-mail me @ ***@****. God bless all the people going thru what we are going thru, it's not easy and you are all strong, just remember that. Take care of yourselves. Bye and good luck!!!!
Listen, you posted this on a very old thread.. I'm afraid people won't see it.

Please repost as a new question/post, and I'm sure you will feedback... I don't know anything about methadone, but the only thing I can say is if you are really in a bad, bad way, I would consider going to the ER, or an addiction specialist asap to get some relief...

Good luck to you...
I'm deep into withdrawls now. I'v been hiding this from my hole family.
I have a wonderful littile girl of 3 yrs of age and another one on the way.
I'm afraid to even tell a doctor. I was wondering what not to say to a doctor to make it sound like a drug seeker. I'm shore that on my chart somewhere. I just want to stop spending all of our post bill money on this ****. I also dont want to feel WEAK.
Has anyone tried to detox of methadone after 20 years on nearly 240mg the whole time?
I also had BAD wreck in 07 broke both legs & hip-got new hip 3/09.  Rod in other leg, and grafts in aorta that was torn.  So I have to deal with pain issue.  Clinic won't let me be on other pain pills--'go to pain clinic" , pain clinic "too much at 240, go to methadone clinic.  Also no dr can find pill (on 3 now) to lower my b/p.  If anyone knows anything please tell me or point me in right direction for info. Peace to everyone.  pjp
hi! im 23 years old i just had an open heart surgery i was in comma for five days do to that n the nurses not moving me around the bed some blister came out on my hills so they became infected. i had that bactirea called cangrina the one that doctors must cut part where the bacteria is so i was in such pain that they where putting 5 grams of diloudin on me than they send me home with vicodin 1000 mgs every 4 hours after that my body got use too.so they changed to varcocet more strong narcotic but i told my doctor that i still had pain so i went back to diloudin but this was oral pill. i increased to 8 grams without telling anyone it feels good but now im not taking a single pill but i feel alot ofpain i most be having a withdrawal from all the narcotics that i took..... i have abset stomach, cant sleep, and my hold budy hurt..... can someone tell me how long this gonna last before i go n buy morfin from the streets cuz this is driving me crazy
hi my name is shawn i have been takein pain pills for 2 years now after a bad car crash where my friend lost her life an i just left my home town to get away from them an i just wont everone to know this is the hardest thing i have ever done i feel like dyein omg this is so pain full i have took ever thing from tabs to roxycotten an i love them all but i am a strong person im quitin all by my self i was at a point where i was takein 7 to 8 roxy 30s a day now if  can do it anyone can if you do it the hard way you are less likely to start back trust me its hard but worth it after about a week you just gotta get has far away from them has you can took me 1000 miles lol but that just goes ti show how strong they become but good luck everone im feelin a little sick right now bad withdraws but im not alone i know that now because of this site an for anyone tryin to quit not to make you feel bad are nothing but good luck this is worse than death its self but if life is what you want you will do it you don't have a choice cause the urge will only grow you will not cut back are come off slowly that don't work you gotta get it all out at one time an when you do it the hard way after going throught this you won't wanna start back anytime soon that i know good luck people your gonna need it
Hi, i have some advice for my fellow addicts, SUBOXONE.For 9 months i have been taking 9-30mg tablets of oxys a day.I decided to kick my habit to oxycodone last week, but was not planning on being sick for 2 weeks or more. i researched suboxone and found doctors in my area who prescribed this medication. i have been on it for a week so far and the only withdrawl (withdrawal) symptom i had was anxiety and trouble falling asleep, I am not trying to say this is a easy way out! Suboxone will help you.
To godschild300 bless you xxoxox and miquey i know what you went through  because i am the same age and was once a really good well rounded person with morals and standards, now i have a drug addiction that i need to battle. Pain killer addiction has had a hold on me for a long time but i think 10% tapering is a brilliant idea as i was told by the rehabilitation clinic here to go cold turkey off the pain killers even when headaches, migraines and actual pain after surgery occur which is ridiculous, its basically starving yourself if you were addicted to food or giving up cigarettes without any help at all, i know people do it but any radical cold turkey withdrawal is dangerous to your health. I am tapering down off two benzodiazepines as well which is helping me cope with the horrible withdrawals off the pain killers because once you make the decision to change, its the result at the end that keeps you going and its keeping me going. Im praying id o not relapse but wont kick myself if i do and neither should anyone else here
Hello all!!!! Let's just say my name is Hayden. I have DDD ( Digenerate Disk Disease ) in 3 of my lower disc in my back. I was perscribed 3 percocet 10's a day. At first they helped and then I needed more for the pain. Then I fell 24 feet out of a tree and was placed on more pain meds. Eventually I was hooked. Now my tolerance is really HIGH. I can take up to 350 mg's of roxycontin or any pain med. I have tried to kick the habit a few times but withdrawals were so bad, I just give up and would go buy more off the black market. Now I'm back to the point where I have to get off the ****. I have a wife a son thats about to be 2 and they are way more important then a drug. So for all who are trying to kick the habit by yourself there are a few things you will need. 1st immodiam ad for your stomach, 2nd any over the counter sleep aid or meletonin, 3rd some nerve pills like valium, klonopin, or xanax for your aggression and to fight the cravings, but becareful so you don't get addicted to them but they will help a lot, 4th keep yourself hydrated and 5th keep yourself busy as possible. I hope this helps someone because I know what you are going through cause I'm going through the samething. GOOD LUCK and I HOPE this HELPS
Well it's been one day and so far OK. Stomach has been giving me problems at first but the immodiam ad has really helped. I have taken 3 1.0 mg's of klonopin and been trying to stay busy buy hanging with my son and wife and doing some yard work. Now we will see if I can sleep tonight. May have to resort to some over the counter sleep aid or melatonin. Melatonin works pretty good it just gives me some wild A S S dreams so I would rather take something like tylenol pm or advil pm. I have been drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated and to replace the energy I use to get off the pain meds I have drank two 5 hour energy shots. One this morning and one around 4:00 p.m. cst. It's not like a good old pain pill rush but it does give you some energy to get your A S S off the couch and actually function and do something besides lay in the bed or just sitting on the lazy boy. So we will see how tonight goes as far as sleeping and as for tomorrow I just hope the cravings aren't worse then today, Since it has been 24 hours since my last roxy. I'll keep you guys posted and GOOD LUCK ALL. I know I need it. You might get a post later on tonight if there is no sleeping. So take care ALL and be safe..................
I was on my 3rd day and I ended up giving in and taking some roxy's. I was just sitting here and the next thing you know I ended up takeing 4 30mg roxy's. Really dont know why, I mean ai do I was going through withdrawals and had the money and time so I took em. Now I'm back to square 1 the 1st day again all over and this morning was really bad. My body was in complete pain from legs all the way up to my neck. I stayed in bed all the way up until 1:00 p.m. I took my son to daycare but after that I came home and just laid there. That was the worse thing to do cause I felt even worse when I tried to get up and go on with the day. Taking a hot bath helped tremendously. Then I took my klonopin that is perscribed by the doctor and drank a energy shot and felt some what better. So, now I'm just chilling with my son and wife just praying that tomorrow morning will not be like this morning. That was F U C K I N G HORRIBLE I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Well take care everyone and I will keep you guys posted and leave me any comments that you think might help me out. I am opened to any suggestions or advice. Thanks
my name is teresa ihave beem taking 160mg of morpine 4 7 years my doc cut me of 3 weeeks ago
I have been doing roxys for about three months now and quit cold turkey 4 days ago...I have slept maybe 12-15 hours since and have severe diarrhea and constantly feel tired...are these normal side effects and how long does it typically last...is there any way to combat these side effects because even sleeping pills havent helped
This is an old thread your posting in..It would be to your advantage to post your own question on the main forum page..Look at the topof the subject threads and you will see "post a question"..That way people will notice you more and be able to keep up with you and offer support as you go thru this..

As to your question? The good news is you are ablut over the worst of the physical symptoms..As to the stomach and diarrehea? Get some immodium for that. It does wonders for making things a bit more comfortable..The not so good news is you are going to have some lingering effects stay with you for a couple more weeks..Anxiousness, lack of energy and insomnia issues. Getting one's sleep back to somewhat normal can take inbetween 2 and 4 weeks..In the right hand column there are some health pages with suggestions on vitamins etc that will aid in the recovery process. The Thomas recipe for one. You may want to check out that information..Fluids..You want to drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated. I mainly went for gatorade as it has electrolye's in it..

Try not to get tooanxious about feeling better faster and frustrating yourself with a "when will it end "type thought. Many do and all that does is make the mental aspect of this harder. The next two weeks will test your endurance to get thru the days and does get mentally draining wanting to feel better than you do faster..Just go with the flow. You may like,lets say, have a really good 8th or 9th day with lots of energy only to have the 10th make you feel you've fallen back..This cycle lasts a couple weeks. When to bad day swings back in, try to accept it for what it is and set your sights on the next. Once past the three week mark, sleep,energy, and mood start improving fast...

Keep counting days now. Don't back up. You are over the first major hurtle in this process...Dav
i been cycling and streching working out. Getting my *** kicked at bed time thu..but pushing on amd manin up..Let kick this together...
All I can say to withdrawal symptoms is keep yourself busy. I cannot stress this enough.  Go shopping, running, exercise, swimming, hot bath, something to keep you moving or occupied. If you just sit there and watch TV and loaf out on your couch your body is going to vibrate until its on fire and even the touch of your cat is going to annoy you.

I've been taking Tramadol for the past 3 years, at first for back pain, but then it turned into recreation. It made me thin, happy, confident...and I honestly believe it gave me the courage to accept a new position at my job. Yes, it made me like a god. But the side effects of pain killers do not outweigh the good in the long run. I was constantly constipated, had hemmorhoids, and the monetary means to sustain such an addiction is heart breaking! All that money flowing through your veins to make you feel better. Ridiculous.

I quit once for 3 months then relapsed. I quit again last week after I slowly weened myself off the drug. I still have withdrawal symptoms even after I weened. I've been taking tylenol extra strength during the day and nyquil during the night. I feel dizzy, achy, irritable, and I seriously want to cut my limbs off. It feels like electricity is running through them. Tylenol is definitely helping. The nyquil is helping me sleep too, along with the other flu like symptoms. It gets better. Just stick to your guns and damn it, think of something happy. Play music...the vibrations from the sound will heal you!

i've been struggling with pill addiction for over two years off and on...i have quit twice and this time i am now 3 months clean and its harder than i ever thought!! my moods change my depressed moments are devastating and i search for pills when i know there are none here! My body aches sometimes so unbearable i drink to numb it or just go to bed to forget it because all i think is how easy of a fix it could be.  I was clean for over a year and relapsed this year! i felt like a failure and even turned tococaine at times.  Its been rough but i moved to utah, took a new oppurtunity and now am clean and happy and finally getting healthy!  The side effects are still there....its a daily fight of pain, agony, and depression but for right now im winning!!

I read all your stories and wanted to share mine...addictionof any kind is super hard but its nice to have some support and understanding!
Methadone withdrawl (withdrawal) was absolute hell! took a good 14 days untill the symtoms (symptoms) subsided. I took percocet for the first time at age 15, and was addicted ever since. I chased the "Dragon" for the past 9 years. I could never have enough. Could never get high enough. I kept looking for this "serenity" in the drugs. When I was high, I was KING! In all reality, I was nothing more then a coward. It took losing my brother to a dui car accident at age 20 (he was 21) and losing my apartment, my car, my possessions, and damn near my own son .. untill I realized that the path I was taking, wasn't working. I needed a change. I had to hit MY rock bottom untill I was ready to get clean. Even then, my only "friend" I had left, was that bottle of methadone I had just scored the evening before. My addiction was in FULL rage!!! I had no money, and no friends, and no food.. I took every pill I had left and hoped I wouldnt survive.. I did, and I HAD to go through the withdrawl (withdrawal).. It was in NO WAY easy, yet I DID IT. I have 30 days this tuesday, and I have a new found LOVE OF LIFE. I have money, a job, a car, and most importantly, I HAVE MY SON! Life is GOOD! Love yourself enough to make the change, I can PROMISE you will never regret getting clean! Theres ALL sorts of help out there for recovering addicts. These support groups and the people in it, have BEEN where you are rite now. THEY WILL HELP! Life is good, GOD is GREAT, and sobriety is AMAIZING! Love yourself enough to take that leap of faith .. YOU WILL MAKE IT, and the grass is ABSOLUTELY greener on the other side. Put down the mask you wear everyday, and learn to love yourself again. If you are reading these posts, you have already took the first step and you ARE on your way to recovery! GOD BLESS ALL of you!! - Thanks for listening
I'm a 22 yr old mom and I have been taking Vicodin for almost a year now. It started out with a back problem that happened at work and then I was buying them from people I know cuz my doctor would give me anymore. After a while the vicodin turned into norcos and I was take any where from 7-10 a day. I ran out and I'm deciding to stop taking them. I kind of tappered down but not enough for it to really help. Today is day 2 without and my one main side affect if anxiety. I can seem to sleep because of it and I can't sit in one place for more than 20 minutes. Other than than that it's cold sweats and diaherra (diarrhea). I decided to stop on a long weekend. I don't think it's going to get any better. I also just quit smoking cigarettes recently and I think that has a lot to do with it. Please if anyone has any information about how I can ease the anxiety side effect that would be greatly appeciated!
Thank you,
Sara
Hi sara, this is sara......Copy what you just wrote and then go to the top of this page and you will see Post a Question, click on that and paste.  That way you will have your own thread and will get more responses.  The one you posted in is an old thread.......
their is one here who are also doing just what you are. I am doing the detox from methadone right now. it suxs but not like i am dieing like i read from others here. its a lot in the mind. thats the bad part our mind tells us for as long as we will listen to our own mind tell us we hurt then we will fill the pain! Not cause it is there. I have extensively researched this. For the longest I didn't even want to try to stop the methadone. Due to every person saying they were feeling like they were dieing and heck i am a chicken and if i weren't i wouldnt be stuck on this s**t ! But now I have a baby boy "healthy" thank our heavenly father. Both my parents were on methadone all my life and are both gone now. my mom this year even. I knew it would be me next. So, I had to atleast try! And I am doing it. I have went from 110 mlg of methadone a day to 20 this week and 15 next. things aren't that fun and I am trying to be a good mommy even thru this but i am lucky to have a husband who quit and still had me taking methadone next to him daily. He even quit when he was in the hospital having 7 surgeries to fix the 1st the Dr. messed up. But he quit with all that pain going on and never looked back. hmmm wounder when he will stop smoking lol jk but for real hun U CAN DO THIS! please dont make my mistake and read all the scary things u have read other wright on here and make ur decision based on them scarring us out of being sober! i am here if u wanna talk babe!
im taking aprox...28-40 lortab 10s a day.....i just ran out this morning. im broke til payday and dont know what to do....ive been taking them very steady for the last 6 months...its starting.
If  you want to quit, start a new thread, so it will more easily be seen.  
Ive been dependent on pain killers for almost 8 years..oxy, dills, morph and any other downer that will stop the pain...recently i quit cold turkey...it was the hardest few days of my life...constant aching in the back, diarrhea, cold sweats and very strong cravings....i set my mind to it and did it..if i can do it anyone can do it..there was days i spent 600 bucks and would have nothing left for the next morning.. then my fathers unexpected passing sent me down a path i thought would kill me....but i sucked it up and changed so i could be there for my family...and for me
Here's my piece...

My Doctors have prescribed me just about every possible Rx out there ever since my L5/S1 Lumbar Fusion (2001) and follow up exploratory surgery/hardware removal about one year after that.
I went into a 30-day inpatient program about 4+ yrs back, as my Rx at that time was Methadone. After 30 days I left there feeling sooo much better off the Methadone and onto Subutex.
I WAS on Subutex for chronic back pain for the past 4+ yrs, and it always worked great. Relieved the pain, no euphoria, no bothersome side effects, and no need to increase my dosage over the yrs.
Over these last 2 months me & my Doc have decided to taper down my dosage and get OFF of the Subutex altogether. I was on a dosage of 16mg per day and began to cut my daily dosage in half every week over these last 2 months (approx). It was not easy, but definitely do-able! I speak to you now after being completely off of Subutex for the last 9 days now. If you are taking any harsh narcotic pain Rx and would love to be free of it all, Subutex / Suboxone is DEFINITELY the way to go! I've been on Methadone and looking back now, I would NEVER recommend anyone get onto that s**t!

The worst part over these last couple weeks is/was the inability to sleep except for a couple hrs at a time throughout the night (getting better already). My Doc kept asking me over these last many weeks if I'd been feeling nauseous or experiencing any diarrhea and up until about 5 days ago I had not... until it came all at once. It can be best described as having Flu like symptoms, and it is not pleasant. It will likely sideline you until those particular withdrawal symptoms go away. I'm feeling a bit better every day now in regards to that. Oddly enough, it's not the back pain/soreness that's the worst part now, it's those damn digestive issues that suck!

I would love to know if anybody has been thru this and can tell me about how long those Flu-like symptoms hung around!

Thanks & Plz comment if you have anything to add/share.

Divorced - Full Time Dad =-)