Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Withdrawl help; suboxone vs. opiates

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Withdrawl help; suboxone vs. opiates

I was on occasional opiates from a surgery I had undergone and thought Suboxone would help me get over the withdrawls without complicationns and being able to function in my daily life. This was a huge mistake! The worse withdrawls I could have ever imagined. Now I am back on opiates and trying to figure out a way to detox. So the question is,  should I withdrawl (withdrawal) from the opiates without the help of suboxone or with little help from suboxone? I don't have the option to take off the  time needed from work at the present time. The only time  I really  have is maybe 3-4 days to get over this. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!
Hi & Welcome,

Suboxone is tricky and should be taken only under a doctor's care. It should also always be used in conjunction with an aftercare program. Just taking the pill to get though withdrawal usually ends exactly how your experience did. And then you go through the cycle again.

So you are thinking Suboxone again? How is it going to be different this time?
If you were just taking opiates occassionally after surgey I dont see why you would get withdrawals or need something as serious as suboxone. In fact you shouldnt...I wonder if we could get more info on what pills you were taking....how much...how long? Something sounds a little off here....
I have been on and of opiates for some time (The hright was 20 10MG Hydro p/day).i was a heavy user for 5 years and actually kicked it for 3 years detoxing somewhat cold turkey with a little help from methodone. I realized once I got hooked back in (as I stated before the originally hook-up was from an accident and after that I continued and formed a heavy addiction. I thought Sub was the answer this time because I was only back on the 12-15 hydros for about 3 months and didnt think I could handle the WD's (family, work, etc.) I didnt do the proper research on Sub so here I am stuck in no mans land just trying to figure out how I got here again and how to get my life back drug free...Which BTW is soooo much better! and have been going on/off with opiate use in between. When I tried to stop the Suboxen I was "floored" how bad the withdrawls were...10X that of Hydro!!!! Thus the reason for going back and forth trying to figure this thing ouy. So I guess the question is: Im 2 days back on Sub (4MG's each day after being on 15-20 Loratab p/day....Any help out there that has info on my current situation???

Thanks in advance,

HelpNeeded
HI.......im an x methadone addict but as we all know still an addict sub is a funny drug I have been on the forum a long time and watched many people go on and off it to me its a crap shoot you never know how its going to be getting off of it I have seen people come off at 2mg and only go threw mild withdrawals and then I have seen people take it down to crumbs and suffer for weeks theres just no rhyme to reason with the stuff since your last experience was bad I would think your next one will be also....just the way you respond to the drug my advise is line up those 4 days you got stop taking everything at least a day b/4 and just detox.....now that sub is in the equation you will need to stop about 3 days ahead of the 4 days you got to come off everything there is no ez way around this my meth withdrawals had me sick for months learned my lesson if you do this now you will go threw hydro withdrawals not sub withdrawals pick your battle carefully good luck and God bless Gnarly  
Thx Gnarly for commenting!

So do you think based on everything that I will still be in the hydro Detox Phase even though I have taken a couple days worth of Sub's? Yesterday I took subs but today nothing and I am feeling so-so. Just wondering after the Sub wears off where I will be in my Detox stage. That Sub is a "gnarly" med and i cant understand it for the life of me. Trying to figure this thing out but dont know if it is better to keep going with Sub or Hydro until i have a few days to try and do what i need to do....It is physically impossible to do it whenever based on my job.....Any and all help is welcome!
Peace