Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Worried about damage to nose from minor cocaine use... Am I ok?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Last year I took cocaine on four occasions. I used it carefully and infrequently in small doses, and altogether I have consumed  between 0.5-1 gram at the most over a period of 10 months.

The last time I used it in November '06 I immediatley experienced a strong painful burning senstation. Ever since my right naasal passage has felt larger when breathing and air feels colder. For the first 2 months I experienced chronic build up of thick mucus in the effected nostril (sometimes blocking air flow entirely) although it is not so serious anymore, my nose is rarely clear and is always slightly blocked.

Now, if I put my finger in my nose, I can feel the skin above my septum has become inflamed and is larger than in my left nostril. Sometimes my nose feels very tight, almost a pulling sensation. Superficially, I have also noticed a slight wilting of my right nostril (has become slightly smaller than the left).

It does not help that I am exposed to a number of occupational toxins at work (evegtable/minderal based brake oils) which do seem to irritate my nose more than they used to... To prevent worsening of my problems I have cut down on smoking (down to 4-6 a week), and practice nasal irrigation once a day with warm water.

Can you recommend anything else, and advice whether or not this problem is likely to be serious/long term?

I have suffered no nose bleeds, headaches, psychological or financial problems associated with cocaine used, and still have a decent sense of smell.

Many thanks for your advice.
I was a recreational cocaine user for years then int became daily.  I had an extremely sensitive nsal passage ad it sounds like you do too.
I know people who do it daily and have no issues other than snoring but not me.  If I would do it, within an hour or so I would have this intense burning and rawness that lasted for days.
My "tricks" were to use anything I could get my hands on to help.  I used lotion, vasoline, ayrs saine nose spray, eventually I held a tissue overmy nose so as not to let the air hit it.
Coke is tricky.  It can really affect your nose or not at all.  Sounds to me like  your sensitivity combined with your job makes for someone who probably shouldn'tbe using at all.
Sorry man.  LOL
Just kdding.  I primarily stopped using it because I was afriad I was disintegrating (sp?) my nose and cartilage.  You might be one of those people who can't really do it.  
It's a good thing.  
All of those things yo mentioned, losing job, etc.. those are "yets" for you and inevitably, they will happen.  It starts out slowly and then catches up to you before you know it and by then it's too late.  Take these physical symptoms as being a warning sign.  Your body is telling you to stay away.  If I were you, I would listen.
Good luck and sorry if I wasn't of more help.
sorry, I don't know much about the subject but it sounds horrible.  I, do, however agree with Tara and you should listen to what your body is telling you.  Between it and your job, this is something to stay away from.   Have you seen a doc re: the problem?  I know there are small surgeries that can be done to alleviate the problem.  Good luck to you and let us know how you do.

Sincerest Wishes,
M
It's good that you're worried about this.  Coke is a very bad thing to mess with.  Stay away from it and I don't think you'll have anything to worry about - 1 gram or less over 10 months is very small.  Docs use pharmaceutical grade cocaine every day without ill result.  The damage that is so commonly seen generally comes from frequent and repeated exposure.

I somehow got hooked on crack after an extended hydro addiction.  For a total of close to 10 months I was cooking and smoking anywhere from 1 to 7 grams of powder a day.  Typically when I cooked there'd always be a little powder left over from the pre-cooking cruching process and, rather than "waste" that, I'd always snort it - and I'd frequently "save" a few lines to snort, just so I'd have something while I wanted for the main event.

I wasn't snorting tons of coke, but I did do it pretty much every day, and I noticed some irritation, etc.  All of that corrected itself and has been long gone for me.
Thanks everyone for the advice - much appreciated!

I have always had quite a liberal view on drugs (i've smoked marijuana casually/socially for years), and believed that as long as your responsible and treat them with respect you'll be alright. I could of done a lot more coke when I did it, but I always stuck to 2-3 small lines and thought nothing of it. This has definitley changed my mind though!

I've also had plenty of oppurtunity to snort since, and out right turned it down.... To be honest, on the 4 occasions I tried it I couldn't see what the big fuss was about anyway! But it's sad to see life long friends of mine waste hundreds of pounds a week on the stuff, they're beginning to loose weight and get in a lot of financial problems. I count myself lucky that this happened soon enough to make me stop before I got sucked into it aswell.
@Mis Take

Yes after months of worry I did see my GP about it in Febuary, but he didn't really do a lot - just had a general chat about drug use, dangers etc... He did check up my nose with a small LED torch but I don't think you could see the damage that way as it's high up under the nasal bridge. For most docs, 1 gram of cocaine isn't exactly a cause for serious concern (which makes sense in most cases), but I'm thinking of getting a 2nd opinion from a specialist if it's not too expensive.
i took cocaine quite regular for about a year or so...last year i noticed that when i did do it i got an instant pain in my nose that would last for days and a very cold feeling all over the nose...but unfortunately that didn't stop me taking it on the next social occasion. The ironic thing is that having not touched it for 9 months now,i have seen a gradual change in both sides of my nose as rthe skin has weakened and started to lose structure. i have been to my GP on several occasions,ear nose & throat specialist and paid to get a plastic surgeons advice.they all say there that there is really nothing that they can do. hopefully i'm over the worse,but nobody can really give me any advice on the subject as it doesn't seem to be very common...the same thing seems to be happening to kate moss i have noticed in some pictures. i would never touch the drug again...its frightening to not know what the final outcome and shape my nose will be,and when it will stop changing shape.
I am sitting here tapping this with one completely blocked nasal passage as a result of a few lines of coke i took 3 days ago. I've never been a big user of cocaine, but the last few times i have taken it i have had this nasty side effect of my nose being shut down for 5 days or so. I wonder if it's something the drug is cut with that i am allergic to or have i developed an allergy to cocaine?! I do have a mild allergy to pollen and the symptoms that are produced are identical. . . i.e inflamed nasal passage and running nose.
I am by no means an addict (of the **** i have been taking in the UK) and i wish anyone in this forum that is, one hundred thousand blessing of luck! I am just curious if anyone else has similar symptoms to myself.
I have the exact same problem, I like your theory about the allergy.

I've been using coke for years but only regularly for 14 months.

I never used to have this problem and my mates who do a lot more than me dont get it.

I'd love to know how to make it go away... I don't get any other bad side effects, just that my nose is completley out of action for up to five days.

Would love to know what started it.

It doesn't bleed to badly but a few weeks ago (ironically when I laid off it for a month or so) It was bleeding really badly and loads of skin was coming out too... scary stuff.

Gotta kick it though, its just rubbish and expensive.

I too worry if I have done some serious damage to my nose... I dont want it to collapse or something?!

Any advice?
I have been using cocaine for almost 8 years but was really bad for 3.  I now have a red spot on my nose that has not gone away for 2 and a half years.  I have not been to the doctor yet to see if there is anything they can do.  I am kind of scared on what they will say to me.  I also have noticed it getting larger and larger.  I wish I knew the solution to my problem.
i use to snort oc not cocaine and mine done same thing and had mucus and all etc to this day one side bigger than other and still have blow nose ton in morning
Im concerned about my boyfriend who continually has a blocked, runny, and occasionally bleeding nose.  He says he took coke on 5 occassions over a year and a half ago and not since but im worried that the nasal symptoms may mean he's taking it now.  Is it possible to hav that kind of damage from such little exposure?  He has also always lived with a smoker and works around a lot of dust which he claims aggravates the condition.  I saw inside his nose that the tissue on the right septum looks raw and there seems to often be dried blood.  Im absolutely clueless about drug usage and dont want to be niave. Could this mean he's still taking? Is it possible that damage is from his work and living environment or from such little past usage?
I have had the same problems, I have stoped using it now the last time I did my nasal passages were so blocked my face swelled from the blockage. I can't stand the stuff now but as you I work as a nurse Ironic I know but I am exposed to a lot of smells throughout the day and my sense of smell is very sensitive. Anyway as long as you've stoped using now your nose will re-build the damaged tissue if you haven't already caused any spetum damage.

Glad you've stopped using, anyone thinking it's not causing any long tern problems are deluded!