Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Xanax - still looking for advice

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Xanax - still looking for advice

What are the symptoms of xanax withdrawl (withdrawal)? How hard is it to come off 2mg (2 blues) per day (sometimes 3)? Is that considered a lot? I was prescribed 4mg a day a long long time ago, but never took them regularly so I don't know. Can't get Dr.s advice b/c I don't have a script or any contact with my past Dr. He was about 90 yr.s old 6 yr.s ago when I last saw him, and lives (or lived) about 1500 miles away. SO....Can anyone tell me what to expect? P.S. I already know not to stop cold turkey and about the stories of seizures. I just don't know what amount ppl. were taking who experienced this etc.

If you read my other posts you'll see I have other "stuff" going on, but this is my main question I'm currently seeking an answer for.
We cnt give u specific taper plans on this forum.Im glad u know about not going cold turkey.I can tell u that a proper taper is slow.U r NOT taking a lot compared to some but u taking enough that if u taper to fast u will b miserable.U can expect sleeplessness,anxiety are the2main side effects.Im going to send u a private message so check that.
These kind of post are noe getting my attention. I had no choice to go c/t off of methedone, adderral and clonazepam. I now understand that the place I went failed to taper me with something else to help the withdraw from the benzo. I too could of had a seizure. I was just confused why it took me a loooooong time in many satges of detox. I now feel that besides the methedone the high anxiety for over 40 days was too a benzo. I did not know that benzo were so dangeous to come off of. Heck they give the drinker a benzo to taper from.....As far as to taper I can not help but some here will be along to give you the info you might need we usually can only share are own experience.
Hang In they will be flowing in........
Btw u CAN go to a dr and get help.no not the doc that prescribed them but another one.A pcp if u have one,the e.r. will help u as well.both will give u a taper plan.u would b surprised to know how many people have this problem cause its certainly nothing new.It would be ideal to c a doctor dnt b scared of it
I quit Xanax in 2008 cold turkey. I knew the seizure risks, but was already on an anti seizure medicine. That was still stupid of me though.

I had been on 3 blues a day for ten years.  All RX'd for anxiety. I quit not because I had a problem at all with them, but felt my anxiety was finally under control.

I did fine and had zero wd symptoms. I hope this is the case for you. I also stopped Wellbutrin at the same time.

I did end up a year later seeing a Dr again and going back on them, but my anxiety and panic had returned. But until then, during that year, I was fine.
Good luck to you.