Xanax Use
I would like a rational response to my question.  I have visited web pages dealing with prescription drug addiction and been told I'm in danger of becoming a criminal and will probably start having seizures any time now. I have been taking on a daily basis for 3 months 1mg of Xanax for insomnia due to menopause - not hot flashes, just being unable to fall asleep. I understand this is an addictive drug and want to know if I should continue to take it.   It has been very helpful and I have not had any side effects (I fall asleep, so I guess I wouldn't feel them) and tolerance has not increased.  When I do stop taking it do I have anything to worry about other than rebound insomina?
Sorry about the handle...I use the same one for everything so I don't forget it.

I got that Valium dose from a table of equivalencies of benzos somewhere in my web searching.  I've never had much luck with over the counter remedies.  Sominex made me feel groggy and yucky but didn't put me to sleep.  I opened the bottle of Valerian root and decided I really couldn't take something that smelled that bed :-) Melatonin did absolutely nothing as far as I could tell. But I will certainly try the HTP. After I get off the Xanax.  I want to thank you for your advice. It's been very helpful.  And I know I'm minor league compared to some who post here but I could really see the signs of going down that road.  I do like the effect of the Xanax.  For example, when I injured my shoulder I took codeine and just didn't like it at all. It made me feel sick. I always wondered why people would get addicted to it. Xanax is another story.  I can see taking that to get high. I have no doubt it was just a matter of time before I started rationalizing taking it during the day...feeling a little tense, big meeting, whatever.
Hi Kstuebin,

While I am still on valium ( realatively minor dose for a 180 lb male, 5 milligrams, twice a day) I have detoxed before. This is a common detox plan, gleaned from several doctors and web articles. Over a 15 day period drop 1/4 every 3 days. Let's say you take 30 mg. a day. The first three days take 20 mg.; the next three days take 15 mg.; the next three days 10, the next three 5 mg.; and the final three days take 2.5mgs. If you are on 5 mg. you can do the same thing, just divide the pill into 1/4ths ( it can be done believe me) and your last 3 days would be 1/4 of a 5 mg. pill.

The usual advise about exersize, HTP, multivitamens, friends etc. would apply. Just want to let you know though, as I stated yesterday. If you need the Xanax now and your Gynec. is supervising you, you clearly are not abusing. Good luck whatever your choice and come back for insiration etc.

Frank Lee
Thanks for the reply. Actually my mother was full blooded German (she pass when I was 12) my father is Welsch and some Mexican thrown in somewhere. No wonder I  have to struggle with my temper. At any rate, I found out from my mom (she adopted my sister and I when I was 7 so I automatically think of her as my mom)that my dad increased the Zanax when he went back to work.I guess his dr. knows. But I was thinking, maybe what he feels is an anxiety attack could be the Zanax leaving his system. You think this is possible? This seems to be a situtation of damned if you do and damned if you don't, doesn't it? Right before dad ended up in the hospital. He was telling me a dr. had told him when Valium had first come out they were prescribing left and right. And the dr. said it took years to get some people off of it. Evidently the premise is that Zanax is safer. This would be the drug companies stand I'm sure. Obviously for what I'm hearing from you and this forum that just ain't so. I'll bringing him up to speed on your insights and the info on half life. He really hates the idea of being "habitualized". Sometimes I think about things like what if something happened and I couldn't get to a store for ciggs. Or if people couldn't get their med. for anything whether it be for blood pressure or aniexty, etc.. It would be awful. I take some med every day too but I'm on such a low dose I think- I hope I would be okay. I guess all this talk of war has me anxious. Just knowing there's a bigger picture out there we have no control over. Here's a little saying from my book thing-   "There are those of us who are looking for a blessing that's not in disguise."                                      Have a great day, Shotsy
Thomas,

Since you are all talking about Benzos..sleeping aids etc. What do you know about Trazodone. That is what my Dr. gives me to take at bedtime. Thanks once again for your time.

Shea
Hi Shea....I don't know anything about the sleeping pill you mentioned but was wondering how you were doing? I haven't seen any posts from you for a couple days. Did you ever find out why your hand was tingling? That was you, wasn't it? Or do I have you mixed up with someone else? If I remember correctly you were wondering if it was the 5-htp and couldn't ask your doctor because he was still trying to distinguish his ass from a hole in the ground (I loved that.)
Anyway....just wondered how you were! :)
Greetings, my friend, anything for a fellow German-American
Hi Katie

Thank you for your concern. Actually i am going to go to a pain specialist. I always thought my Dr. was good but now i realize i liked him because he wrote the scripts without questions. Now when i have questions about the symptoms i am experiencing he says "oh i think that will go away in a week". Such a bunch of ****. But i am doing okay and fighting the cravings daily. I have been reading your posts, especially about what triggers. I can relate with the morning coffee. It is funny because everything I do I first think "hmm how the hell do i do it straight". I know you are running low on your script but keep in mind at least you know what to expect and how to help some with Thomas's recipe. And no matter what you know you will live through it. Take Care and You are in my prayers

Shea
how can I not return the toast? Long live you and yours, Francoise my precious friend. Like gold dust, you're constantly trying to "return to the mountain" (remember your Treasure of the Sierra Madre?"). I have never told you often enough or emphatically enough how much I like you and how much I value you as my friend. You see, I really don't have many flesh-and-blood friends -- but you help make up for it with your intelligence, humor and undeniable caring for me. Long live Francoise! And I challenge anyone with a stiff drink in their hand to join me in saluting you. My good friend ... your loyalty and integrity bring a tear to my eye. Live long and prosper, my sight for sore eyes, even though I've never seen you ... how's that for a paradox far more useful than the provable truth? May you live forever and your tongue remain on high alert should my ego become over-inflated and need a reality check as only you can give me one.
Thanks for that post Shea..it helps me a lot to read reminders of the hell of being deep in the addiction.

I have to be a voice for the joys of being clean for a moment here.  

I no longer wake up feeling drained and weak. I wake up feeling normal, and sometimes even energized.  I no longer feel slightly nauseous all the time from the large doses of the meds. I no longer avoid picking up the phone, shutting my friends out due to prefering being in a stupor. I no longer am neglecting to eat nourishing food. I no longer have that pale, vampire like skin that I never realized the drugs were giving me.

I don't like all the feelings I have, but I GET TO FEEL! And I am discovering that I prefer my real feelings to the false euphoria that I'd get for jsut an hour. I get to feel it all now, and I relish that!

I love not having to struggle with the knowledge that I am slowly destroying my life, but instead to know that I am slowly rebuilding it.

I have hope again.  I have hope. I thought I had lost that forever.

I love you all, and thank each and every one of you for helping me get here. Please, help me stay here. I don't care if the advice that helps me comes from someone who is using or is clean...we are all addicts, and that puts us on level ground....if it helps it helps, and the love and heartfelt support I 've found here is priceless.
I thank the Goddess every day that you all are here.

as Kip taught me..I need you all.

love,
WW

I also check this forum several times a day. Actaully more than I check my email. ha ha This place has been a god send to me. as I am sure it has been with others. It has been about 6 weeks now for me. And I know from reading your posts you have made comments how you just can't imagine life without the pills and how so many things you don't enjoy without them. The triggers, coffee in the a.m., bar- b -queing, chilling in the eve etc. DITTO! Oh do I know the feeling. But I am thinking somehow people like us (in this forum) have to find a way to retrain ourselves. Maybe things won't be as much of a kick to us without those glorious pills. Hopefully someday we will learn to enjoy the things without being high. I do miss them terribly but the constant rollercoaster of aquiring them I don't miss. I use to think "where will it end?" Will I be 60 someday and running from doctor to doctor. **** i had to keep a tablet of what pharmacy i used for what doctor. And of what excuse I used when to get an early refill. i was always saying i was going out of the country on vacation. they probably thought "damn girl". i must say as bad as the withdrawls were I think that panic feeling you get when you are down to a 2 day supply and no idea where to get more because your sources are dry, that feeling of such anxiety you feel your heart will jump through your chest, that is as bad. Actually, it is worse because you have it so often. everytime you are close to running dry. With the detox it happens and it is bad. But then it is over. So what is left is the cravings. That is what i compare to the anxiety I have when running on low. Bottom line, you have to deal with one or the other. the cravings after the detox or the anxiety and the chase. I would rather deal with the cravings because I know they will pass. But the anxiety and knowing if you don't score you have the whole detox thing. I just don't want to keep going through that. Katie, how long were you without before your scored from yur friends and got your script? How many days with No pills? Please let me know. I never went more than 4 hours without taking 3 Vicoden Es. even in the middle of the night I took them. And I took soma also. Especially at night and sometimes during the day for an added bonus. Sometimes i took them every 2 hours (the Vicoden). I have been taking them for 22 years. It has been 6 weeks katie. the cravings are pretty strong at times. Terribly strong. but you know what, it is better than pacing around like a mad woman with my thoughts so cluttered and the anxiety ready to drive me mad because I can't find a way to get pills and i am running low. Truthfully, I think that is the worse feeling. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE? If so please think about it and please send me your thoughts. I am just trying to give you something to weigh here. Although you might always have to fight day to day with cravings they will get easier. And it is better than the constant panic which is inevidable, freaking out wondering where you can score next.

Shea
Good grief! I think we have the same doctor! I thought mine was the best thing since sliced bread.....I could go in and tell him my toe hurt and he'd give me lortab with 2 or 3 refills....I could call in and tell his receptionist I couldn't sleep because I was having leg cramps.....a bottle of ativan and soma would be at the drug store waiting for me. Ha! I was beginning to think I was in love with him! Then last fall my legs swelled up and turned beet red....they were so swollen I could't bend them. I went in  and showed him and he said "take a fluid pill...that should go away in a few days." They stayed swollen for months...I finally ended up in the hospital because the fluid ended up in my lungs. I guess I need 2 doctors...one for legitimate things and one for drugs.
You read me like a book...yes my refill is almost gone...I just counted and have about 25 left. waaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa. The only other thing I have is fiornal for headaches. But yes...I know what to expect and am already bracing myself for it. I have all the ingredients for Thomas's recipe....and I have a refill for some ativan that I'm saving for when I run out of lortab. Sleeping thru the first few days sounds wonderful.
Plus I have this forum and people like you, Thomas, WW, Gianna and so many more. I think I'm beginning to get addicted to this forum! I check it several times a day.
Hang in there Shea and keep posting!
"A man that has friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother."

-Francois
I had a question.  What if during my weaning period with valium, one day I decide I want that Xanax effect again one more time and I take some. Since Valium has such a long half life doesn't that mean a lot more of it is in my system than the Xanax was, since I only take it once a day.  So if that's the case, and I take my regular Xanax dose is that like taking a whole bunch more because I'm adding it to the Valium left in my system? I know the answer to this question is just don't take the Xanax but realistically I might relapse.
Hi Frank..I just wanted to tell you that it is good to see you progressing so well. I remember your very first post here, before you doc started you on the taper, I think it was.

Glad you are still around and still posting.

:-)

love,
WW
I switched to the Valium last night.  I found a table of equivalencies on some British benzo addiction page. Oh, first let me mention, the last two nights on Xanax I doubled my dose with the rationale that I wouldn't be able to take them much longer!  And someone said I didn't have an addict affect.  Somehow that doesn't seem how a normal person would look at it to me. LOL. I took 30 mg of valium but it doesn't seem as strong to me.  I would always take the Xanax 1 hour before bed to give it time to work so by the time I hit the sack I was feeling very mellow.  The Valium didn't do that, although I did fall asleep.  But had horrible nightmares that I was living at home with my mother and I was hallucinating and I told her I had to go to the hospital because I was going through Xanax withdrawl. The dream was actually more involved than that but I'll spare you every detail although they're certainly very vivid in my mind. Then this am when I got up...no grogginess like I get from the Xanax.  I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering why this would be.  I'm not anxious or tense like I would be before my Xanax dose..man, I'd have that foot atapping big time :-) I read somewhere in my endless research of the past few days that Xanax is the only benzo that binds completely to the GABA receptor so maybe that's it.  Any feedback?
K.

The answere as you said is to not relapse. But who amongst us has not? Just get back on the wagon. I don't know how many milligrams of valium you are taking but just about any amount can be detoxed in 18 days using my detox schedule above. Of course there are all manner of ways to help with the detox, most enumertaed by Thomas, but I have a few also which I will post if they continue to work.

Valium makes you numb, but normal people have a valium supply naturally ( he says in his drug seeking rationalizations). I am convinced there are some of us poor souls who were born with a valium deficiency. That's why I am taking 5mg in the morning and 5 mg. in the pm. I will probably stop this soon and you can get your doctor to help. But, be advised, if you do you risk not getting a script again.

So, I come back to my original post - if you are taking a mild dose of benzos and it helps you function and you feel ok. Stay with it, preferaly valium instead of Xanax IMHO, but you may need it.

If you decide to and detox, keep comming back and we can help. Just taper slowly and allow your self some time.

Peace

Frank Lee
Thanks Frank Lee for the feedback.  This board has been a Godsend for me. I remember when valium first came out and it was prescribed for everything and there were all these housewife junkies crashing their grocery carts into the tomatoes at the supermarket.  So they'd stop taking it and go psychotic.  And the doctors all said "uh oh, maybe we shouldn't prescribe this anymore" and that was the end of valium.  Then came Xanax. Which from everything I've read here is even worse. I just can't imagine life without drugs even though I lived life without drugs for many years after the 60's - 70's jag. I don't remember what it felt like. I think I had stronger feelings. I'm kinda fogged out all the time now but it's rather pleasant. So, I'll wean myself off the valium.
Hi Kstuebin

I am the 'someone' who said you didn't have an addict affect and, based upon your previous posts, you didn't. Doubling up on Xanax will certianly raise your potential qualification for that moniker.

In my opinion valium is far safer and less addictive than Xanax -don't get me wrong, both are addicitve. You've had apparently one day off of Xanax and tranistioning to valium. I would think vibrant, even volitile dreams are to be exptected. You have a few more days to get the big X out of your system and let Valium come in . Thomas said if Valium were a woman he'd marry her. I did, 8 years ago and we've had very few spats. Patience during your transition. You won't get as much an immedicate effect if you double up on valuim, so perhaps your affect will return
:---).

Good luck. In my opinion I think you'll like valuim better.

Frank Lee
Kstuebin,

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll need it. I think you'll find obtaining controlled substances via mail from over seas pharmacies without a script is different than walking across the border with script. Even that is difficult now days in the US states that border Mexico. If this is germane to the board perhaps someone can clarify obtaining Xanax w/o a script from overseas it, but this is really a side issue isn't it?

Good Luck,

Frank
You're right about the side issue. Sorry. I hope you don't mind if I ask you relevant questions in the future re the valium weaning process and how I feel.  More nightmares last night but as you said they should go away in a few days. Otherwise, I feel okay, not anxious or edgy at all. A little lethargic. Jogging was an effort.

And let me say again, what you've done is more remarkable than you probably realize.  Recovery rates for any drug use including alcohol are 10%.  Actually, I think it's even less for cocaine.  Anyway, you're one in ten!
when I was using Xanax daily, it seemed like I needed them more and more for pressure-situations like big meetings, etc. It was only after I tried to get off of Xanax did I realize that the anxiety I felt from the withdrawal was indistinguishable from anxiety of any kind or origin. From by experience, I believe Xanax, like so many other drugs, creates a need for itself.
I had been taking xanax for a short period of time maybe 2 months if that...before that I had taken valium then switched to the xanax..4 mgs a day......then one day i ran out.....I felt alot of anxiety,,,couldn't pinpoint it.....vicodin did help with the withdrawals but this went on for a few days   then all of a suddden it was gone..i felt better.....I'm almost positive it was from the xanax....haven't touched one since.....****..i could use one now since i am about out of my pain meds oh well,,,,,love to all      cin
How do I ask Dr. Steve?  Start a new thread and address it to him?  The Valium just doesn't seem as dramatic. Maybe I'm not taking enough although at this point I really don't want to take more.  It's definitely calming, just no rush, more even. We 60's relics go for the rush :-) We had qualudes and seconals and really good downs.(Where are they now?) When I first started taking the Xanax, one night I was extremely upset so I took 4 instead of one and I was LMAO and thinking "boy this is far out." Of course, I couldn't do that all the time or I'd run out. Thanks again, Karen.
kstuebin - yes start a new thread by posting a new comment. Address your question in general, i.e. What should I expect when switching from Xanax to Valium?

Good Luck.

FLee
by the way, you're not going to get a very sympathetic (or useful) answer from Dr Steve. First he'll tell you you're not supposed to be 'abusing' drugs for the high -- period. Then he'll go into his borken-record "consult a professional blah blah blah .."
Sorry.

Thomas
the valium doesn't seem as dramatic because it isn't. I noticed the same thing when I switched. Perhaps, as with other drugs, there's a comfort level you have to achieve. Since Valium is so long-acting, that also means you're not going to get the rush you get with the short acting Xanax and Ativan. But that's the whole point -- at least it is if your primary interest is in tapering off the stuff without having a potentially fatal seizure. When I switched to Xanax, all I cared about was 1) not getting panic attacks, and 2) not having any more seizures. 10 mg of Valium 3 times a day took care of both of those problems. I'm now down to, if I want to, only two 5 mg vals a day. But I do remember initially feeling a vague unease even though I was taking the 10mg Valiums -- but I was glad to deal with that in exchange for the terror of withdrawal seizures. There's a reason people like Xanax so much. It's basically the same reason people prefer Vicodin over Tylenol with codiene. One's got the excellent buzz, the other only a mild, dull high. Yet they all can be used to treat the same things. Stick wit the Valium for a while. You'll eventually forget the Xanax high and look forward to the simple relaxation that the Valium gives you.

Thomas
~Long post beware~

Hi WW,

Have read your posts with interest. Yes, in my own way, I guess I've come a long way. When I originally posted I was having 5 drinks a day, anywhere from 6 to 10 Norcos, 2mg. Xanax, 10mg. Valium and 100 mgs. Codeine phosphate. The dragon had(s) me. I went to see a therapist with whom I developed great rapport. She told me we could not work with me unless I detoxed. Having read the posts here about detoxing and being a confirmed chickensh*t, I freaked. I found a doc (MD) and with yet another stroke of luck found a caring intelligent fellow who agreed to let me detox slowly. I developed an 8 week plan which he characterized as "bordering on denial" but let me proceed. I don't recommend such a long tapering period, it required self disicipline I had not utilized since the kids were born :---).

So where am I? First time in 5 years, no ethanol, no Xanax, no Norco and a few codeine phosphate left. I actually run out this week. Three days before I run out, the good doc prescribed me Catapres (you and your colleagues should be familiar with this. It is a hypertensive which also has beneficial effects in withdrawal) and Robaxin ( a muscle relaxer with minimal abuse potential and a minimal script #15, for the leg cramps. I have asked that I remain on the Valium for now although they (therapist and doc) want me to dc that also which I will try for 30 days and hopefully make it without decapitating my boss. In addition I've used Thomas' cocktail and 100 mgs 5-HTP, and this I don't think has been discussed in depth here, I've increased my output of natural endorphins by walking and jogging 4-5 miles, back pain permitting. Finally, after being offered a book that offended my intelligence ("I'll Quit Tomorrow" - an AA tome useful for some but not for yours truly), I went out and bought a self-help book. Previously critical of Depok Chopra as the yuppie's Guru, I thought what the hell and bought 10 weeks to reduce your age and in it found a multiple set of methods to calm the body and reprogram the mind.

Hopefully one week from today I will awake with only my Valium bride. Your posts and everyone else on this board has been my virtual group. I often refer to you all in therapy and get interesting responses. To Thomas' cocktail the good doc (who is the Director of a detox facility) said " jees, it's only amino acids - they're experiencing the placebo effect" and to the rebound cravings "no such thing in my research - get off your butt and exercise". Believe me he is really caring but we have had lively exchanges. And of course I disagree with his reponses regarding these two issues.

Didn't mean to go so long, but wanted to thank you all. I accept each of you where you are and this has got to be one of the best boards on the net.

Regards and Peace

FLee
Hi kstuebin,

I think your doc's opinion of i mg. of Xanax not being addictive is not supported by the literature. If you go to the pain clinic you will probably receive good help, but your ability to legally buy benzos or any other controlled substance may be hindered.

You are wrong about buying any controlled substance from overseas. It is patently illegal, can be seized (and all packages from overseas will be receiving higher scrutiny in the near future). It is unlikely you would be proscuted, but it has happened, even if you are buying for your own use. Importing scheduled medications is illegal unless you are under the care of a physician and have a prescription. This includes pain medications such as codeine, hydrocodone, etc., and anxiolytics such as valium and, yes -  xanax. Please see

www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/pblist.htm

and click on 'controlled substances. Yes, I am intimately familiar with overseas pharmacies. You really don't know what your are getting or the age of the product. I would avoid them.

Finally, do you really want to get off the Xanax? You may need it and again the dose is small. Good luck.

Flee
My friend who got the drugs from overseas is just a kid (18). I work with him. He calls them Zanibars. He was buying them on the street when he discovered he could get them online.  He showed them to me...they were pharmaceutical made by Upjohn in the original blister pack.  I couldn't believe it was legal either but I do know my aunt who lives in Texas goes to Mexico and buys Retin A which is prescription here all the time.  It's also a lot cheaper.  Anyway, I did some research and here is what I found on the US Customs page.

Residents entering the United States at international land borders, who are carrying a validly obtained controlled substance (except narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, or LSD), are subject to certain additional requirements. If a U.S. resident wants to bring in a controlled substance other than narcotics such as marijuana, cocaine, heroine, or LSD, but does not have a prescription for the substance issued by a U.S.-licensed practitioner (e.g., physician, dentist, etc.) registered with and authorized by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to prescribe the mediation, the individual may not import more than 50 dosage units of the medication.

Xanax, Valium, etc. are sold over the counter in almost every country except ours.  Narcotics are a different ballgame..you can't get them.

Frank, I am really impressed with how far you've come in giving up the drugs. Stick with it. I may be a lightweight but, let me tell you, I was starting to get those cravings and looking for excuses to take it all the time.  I saw the signs.  Guess that's why I want off completely. I don't trust myself to stick to one dose once a day. It's a shame the docs are so clueless.
Kstuebin,

I am not a doc. Perhaps you could ask Dr. Steve what the effects are when switching from Xanax to Valium (new specific thread). I would expect some discomfort initially, but since they are both benzos it would not it seem normal to have prolonged physiological or psychological effects.

Please feel free to use this forum to ask anyone questions. Pearls of wisdom frequently surface.

Walking and jogging are good for opiate abusers because the exercise forces the body's natural opiates back into action. For sedatives like Xanax, I would think the exercise just helps calm the body, regulate heartbeat etc. Meditation, or sitting quietly for 20 minutes twice a day helps as does a hot tub, hobby, lover, book, pet - come to think of it, the normal things that the "normal" people do. We addicts just have this lust for buzz that removes us from the normalcy of life and keeps us on the treadmill to euphoria. Simple euphoria is there, I know I see it in other's faces, we've just lost it or, in my case, I got greedy. It's nice to occasionally feel it without a swallowing something with a manufacturer
I did talk to me my doc.   He said he didn't believe I could be dependent on 1 mg of xanax and he never heard of switching to valium. He also told me if I wanted to stop then just stop.  I told him I tried once (true) and had insomnia and anxiety and cravings, and he said it was just rebound and deal with it. I asked him if he had been a Marine. Conversation ended shortly after that.  So I'm relying on y'all, although there is an addiction center at Greater Baltimore Medical Center I might call on Monday.  They should be more up to date.  I have the valium from a long time ago..years actually, but it seems to still be good.  Lucky me that I never took it preferring the Xanax. Don't know why y'all prefer the Valium..Xanax is much more powerful. As for getting more, do you know you can buy it without a script online and it is legal since it's coming from another country where they sell it over the counter.  As long as you only get a 3 month supply and agree not to sell it.  Customs can't even confiscate it.  A friend of mine did it and got Xanax from Germany.  The patient insert was in German but who needs that...we all know how much to take and what it does :-)
Thanks, Thomas.  I noticed that from his responses to others. Perhaps he has to protect himself...if he gave medical advice without even examining a patient and something happened to them he could be in big trouble.  Not to mention, you probably can't get all the information you need anyway without actually seeing someone.  Tried to post a new thread but it told me the board was full right now so I'll try later. In the meantime, onward with the Xanax. No nightmares last night!
I understand your point about the doc giving on-line advice, but if that's the case, what's he doing on here in the first place? It breaks my heart everytime I see a new post for the doctor, full of hope, and I know the whole time he'll tell them nothing. What's the point?
It could be worse.  Did some local phone calling today. I heard every possible detox method known to man. One place would wean me off Xanax and give me some other drug whose name I can't remember that would make me feel like I didn't need it.  Another doc told me I needed Paxil. Another said that Valium was 10 times worse than Xanax and that 4 mg of Xanax was a huge dose equivalent to 50 mgs of Valium. None of them ever heard of substituting valium and then weaning and all of them wanted their money up front even though my insurance would cover it. These are reputable places.  One was Shepard Pratt which is associated the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. Another was a Johns Hopkins clinic. I'm listening to the people here. I am not having seizures and I am functioning...a little shaky but they're not carrying me out on a stretcher yet. Thank you again Thomas.  You will be rewarded, if not in this life, then the next...not that I want you to go there soon..God forbid!!!
I live in Prince William County just past Springfield Va just past 95 & 495.  There are 2 Dr's in Northern Va who use a different appoarch.  One's an Addiction Specialist Psychiatrist in Fairfax, another's a Addiction Specialist in Manassas.  I have their name and numbers at work.  The one in Manassas see's patients at night and on weekends.  Maybe one can hook you up with a Dr in Maryland.  When I go to work in the morning I will get those names and numbers for you.  I will post it tomorrow night......Susan
Hi Kuebestin,

The folks you contacted said;

"Valium was 10 times worse than Xanax" - opinion in my opinion.

And that "4 mg of Xanax was a huge dose equivalent to 50 mgs of Valium." - I'd agree with that.

"None of them ever heard of substituting Valium and then weaning" - really, odd, it's done daily.

"And all of them wanted their money up front even though my insurance would cover it." No surprise, altruism is rare in the industry.

"These are reputable places." A vague word, reputable.

Looks like you did your homework. I suggest you follow the Dr. leads - that's what I did and found a caring doc who is working on my detox in a way clinics wouldn't. I am glad you are doing ok and, planning on working with an md if, and that's a big if, you really need to detox instead of cut down.

As always, good luck.

Frank.
Thanks, Susan.  Appreciate it.
I think valuim can be VERY effective for SP but i think klonopin will have less side effects and personally klonpin is less adictive. http://socialanxiety.picsent.com has an article compareing the two but i really think its a personal matter. Whichever is the best for you!
Did you mean to post here, it's from 2001. You can read the lastest posts and reply there if you like.
Hi,I am a 50 yr old perimonpausal women. I dont sleep well, up 3 or 4 times a night. I am self employed, very stressful. I have been on 1 mg a nigth for sleeping for about a year and a half. I  have mild panic attacks during some days. xanax has been a godsend. it helps me sleep thru the night and some days provides a litttle bit of calm. For a panic attack I was prescribed .50 mg they are orange and for sleep I HAVE 1 MG. which is blue. HOPE THIS HELPS.IT HAS ME. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK.
In my opinion (for what it's worth), any substance that induces sleep is potentially habit forming. You will come to depend on it to sleep. I believe a reasonable approach, for long term insomnia, is to change medications periodically, There are many available these days. Basically, don't lock yourself to one med. Just an opinion.
I had to chime in on this one even though there were already so many good responses...

Xanax is not the best choice for use as a sleep-aid over any long-term period (more than two months at max). It's an anxyiotic medication primarily prescribed for short-term treatment of what it was designed to lessen: anxiety. It is not a marketed sleep-aid even though it is commonly given for this purpose by general practitioners now. It is sometimes prescribed by psychiatrists for longer-term periods as adjutant treatment for severe anxiety related mental health issues. But these cases should be where anxiety is having further impacts on a persons life outside of just causing loss of sleep at times (panic attacks, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, etc...).

There are many better choices out there just for use as a sleep-aid... that have much less chance of resulting in dependency, covering up longer-term anxiety issues (that will rebound on you with a vengeance once you stop), won't result in such severe withdrawal, and will actually address the problem more directly for better resolution over the long-term.

If sleep is all you need and you don't feel there is a bigger anxiety issue going on - might consider asking for a different medication that is better geared and designed to just help you sleep.

If there is a larger anxiety issue, consider addressing that more directly with someone specialized in psychological issues - and you'll likely find better relief with better overall treatment of the problem than just taking a medication for one of its symptoms.
Hi.

I was wondering if I can have one dr who gives me xanax,which I do..at 1mg 3xs daily..I always run out early about week and half early and get ativan from my mom,,so i will not have panic attaks which make it almost impossiable for me to do nething because I worry about freaking out in front of ppl,,and I need to work as we are quickly becoming broke from ecomomy and hubbys child support which puts extra strain on me..I am super tense and always uptight and actually not a good person to be around when I am withdrawling..So when I run out of my zannies can i have another dr give me something else like ativan or valium?? Do not want to tell my dr..how early I do run out HELP
Hey! Me again, this is a VERY old post , I answered you to the same question on your other post....
I asked a pharmisist and they said you can be on the two diff meds at the same time..its not dr shopping...i just am trying to avoid wd so i can get back to working and do it right next month
It's not doctor shopping if you tell your 1st doctor that you are seeing another doctor for more benzos.
But I dont want my first dr to get mad..we have a close relationship and i dont want to say hey i will just not see u nemore..Has neone else gone thru this
My name is charlie, i got a job but they said i have to stop taking xanax, i take 4mg at one time a day, but im suppose to take 2mg 3 times a day. how can i stop in 11 days. i need this job bad, please help....
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to come off of xanax.  I have been on it for 4 years, and I am definitely addicted.  When I wake up in the morning I feel like I could run through a wall.  I am a single dad of 2, so I have to wake up at 4:30am just to make sure my medicine has kicked in before they wake up.  I never wanted to be on this stuff, because I have lost a lot of buddies due to od's on this drug.  It gave me ambition that I have never had though.  Now it's a $100 bill to the doctor once a month.  I HATE xanax and love it at the same time.  BTW I work at the biggest gas  refinery in the U.S. and I am not really suppose to be taking this.  It doesn't show up on my drug screens though.   I want off of this drug so bad.  Or a lifetime prescription 1.  I definitely wouldn't reccomend xanax to anyone whether they are dependent upon drugs or not.  What do I do?  It's just another bill.
Yardguy, this post is some 10 years old and I will promise no one is still active. Go to the top of this page, hit the green Post A Question button and start your own post. Copy and paste what you have here. that way members can get to know you and offer their advise and experience. Many members here have been on Xanax so you will find help.

If you need anything, give a shout. Hope to see you in the forum.