Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Xanax and Ambien withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Xanax and Ambien withdrawal

I want to quit taking xanax and ambien. I have been on both for a few years. I also take Subxone.
I take 12.5 mg of ambien and .5mg of xanax 2 or 3 times per day.

Can I quit cold turkey without? I have heard xanax withdrawal can cause seizures,, but am not sure if my dose is high enough to worry about that.
I don't know about the ambien but I think you will be ok to stop the Zs without seizures. If you havent been one to take a bunch at a time. I have known people to take 20 or 30 at a time for several days of the one mg. They have to worry. If you havent been abusing you will probably be ok. Have you told your doc you want off them? I thought being on the suboxone you wouldn't be perscribed all the other. How much Suboxone do you take?
I take 2 8mg of Suboxone per day.  The Suboxone doctor knows I am prescribed both XANAX and AMBIEN by my regular doctor so I assume it is ok.
I need to call my doctor and let him know I want something other than XANAX for the panic attacks. The ambien and xanax leave me in a fog.
to quit taking both you should really talk to your doc...i mean, the risk is of seizures is there...but how much risk? probably not much but you should ask your doc to be sure.

heres what i'd be more concerned about. when you stop the ambien, if you have used it every day, you're going to have one heck of a time trying to sleep for a few nights. with the xanax d/c, this will make it much worse if it's cold turkey and also probably increase your anxiety many times over. much of this can be avoided or minimized with a taper.
Xanax is a benzo and can't NEVER be stopped CT.
Talk to your dr about your issues, establish a tapering plan and stick to it, that's the only way to get rid of a short acting benzo.
Yes!!  Listen to Flob and Sophie.  It may not be a lot of Xanax but it's been everyday for years...get a taper plan from your Dr.   As far as Ambien...YUK is my opinion.The stuff makes some people just crazy amnesiacs; it's scary.  I bet you DO feel foggy.

Can you take something else for sleep?  Benadryl or Melatonin maybe?

Good luck with this...
V.
Yes- the Ambien does put me in a fog. I love it for sleep but hate it for everything else. I dumped them out. I still have the xanax. Now I just end up taking more xanax to sleep. So- time to call the doc and get a taper plan.
Benadryl works if I take a lot of them and then I feel crappy in the morning.
I dream of the day when I can sleep unaided and wake up unaided