Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Xanax and alcohol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Xanax and alcohol

What happens when you drink alcohol What happens when you drink  and take Xanax?take Xanax?
Welcome! Finally a question about Xanax for one of the few Xanax junkies on this board.  It is a subject I know well.  First of all, if you're not taking Xanax a lot now...don't start.  It is a real ***** to get off of. All addictive drugs are but I think this is the worst. If you take it with alcohol, you will get really messed up.  Like passing out messed up, not fun messed up, and if you take enough of both together you can die. It isn't a drug, I personally take with alcohol and I take a lot of it. And let me advertise our new forum in case this thread gets deleted tonight when Dr. Steve reads the posts:

http://pub37.ezboard.com/bthenewaddictionmedicineforum

If you're new here you probably don't know what I'm talking about but this is another site where you can get helpful answers to your questions. Sometimes posts here disappear.  They won't there.
Huu Wahhh! Finally got netscape to close,Thanks to my oldest who's done tech support before. Any job offers?  Don't try to copy the detox recipe the way I did or it may get netscape stuck. Evidently I sent the web to my documents and it's been running ever since.                                                          Earthgirl please don't mix that with alchol. I'm sure a little won't hurt this time. But I don't think it's a good idea. Let us know if your okay. Concerned, SHotsy
Hi Earthgirl! I'm glad to see you posting again, it's been a while and I've wondered how you've been doing.

The others are right. Mixing Xanax (or any other drug in the benzodiazepine famile such as valium) can kill you.  It is very dangerous, so please stay away from mixing the two.

I've never been addicted to benzos, but everyone says that they are very, very hard to get off of, and can cause seizures if you don't taper correctly.  

How are things going for you these days? I'd love to hear more about how you are. Keep posting!
love,
WW
Hi Jenny,
Just want to check in , reach out..see how you are doing after this crisis with your husband.  I agree with the advice Francoise and Shea gave you, but it is easier said than done.

When you get time, please let us know how you are doing, and until then, just know that I'm thinking of you and sending you strength and healing.

love,
WW
You've posted here in the past haven't you?  Anyway, your handle rings a bell.

I have drank alcohol while on Xanax with no remarkable results other than than normal for me.  However, I would not recommend it!  My dose is quite low to begin with at .25mg and I don't tend to have more than two drinks at a time(beer). I also weigh 235 pounds and am a male.

If the bottle says not to use with alcohol, pay attention!  A dear friend of mine nearly died because he drank while taking diabetes medicine.  The point is, you may get away with it for a long time but the law of averages may tend to do you in eventually. And at the moment that you think you may be dieing....the term "idiot" comes to mind.

J.B.
Hi there friend, I am not sure if you posted as to why you are not in the hospital but if you did I missed it so whats going on with you?  Are you feeling ok?  Jules
Ditto, I'd also like to know how your doing? And if you got all the red tape taken care of? Shotsy
Yes, I was at the "big hospital" for all of one day.  I had a lot of test work done and a consult with the Gastro clinic and was sent home.  I am supposed to have another liver biopsy this week but have not recieved any notification yet. Though my liver enzymes were very high, they didn't think I needed hospitalized yet.  And that suits me just fine! I cannot have anymore meds containing Tylenol and am on a very strict diet now.  I have to go to the local clinic here for vitamin B and thiamine shots every week.  Actually, I'm starting to feel almost normal again!

All in all, it seems like it was "much ado about nothing".  But then again, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks!

J.B.
I was so glad to see you posted. As I  was also wondering how you are and must have missed so posts with your update. know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am getting ready to sign up for the new forum as I am thinking maybe that is where I am missing somethings as they are being posted there. Keep us posted. And please let us know when this week you will be going in the hospital. Glad to hear though that you are feeling better:)

May you find peace

Shea
Thanks you for your kind considerations!  Actually I haven't posted much lately so you didn't miss anything new.  I was pretty depressed last week but things are getting better.  I was switched to MS Contin and the first couple of days on it left me pretty weak.  Too bad you can't cut the pills in half. They are extended release pills. J.B.
Wow they really did put you through the ringe.  I am so happy to hear that you are ok.  Your posts really had me kind of scared I am not sure how they can tell you that you are in liver failure one day, not put you in the hospital, put you through the red tape and then here you are!!!  I guess we should count these blessings blindly !!
This has been kind of a pain in my ass.  About a year ago when I went in for alcohol detox, they kept me for four days in the hospital. Now with a clearly failing liver, I'm okay to go home!  Maybe they are just fed up with me?  Hell, less than ninety days ago I was in the hospital for a total of eleven days due to sepsis and cellulitis and was supposedly 24 hours away from death.  Well, I'm still here and feeling pretty good at this moment, thank you!  J.B.
Hello again.  Do you mind if I ask you what brought you to this forum?  I know you have been here for a while but from what I remeber you were kind of absent for a while I remember Cindi writing about you when you hadn't posted in a while was that because you were pretty ill?  I was just wondering what your story is because you are a much loved member of this forum.  I am sending some prayers and hugs your way I am hoping the JA's at the hospital know what they are doing.  Jules
I found this forum like most of us do. Actually, after my daughter's death, I was in sad shape.  I was drinking very heavily and taking Lortabs for months.  When I discovered this forum I soon realized that I wasn't alone in this world of addiction and depression.  I began to post here and there and started to crawl my way up out of the hole I had fallen into.

My history of drug abuse goes back to 1970 when I was introduced to morphine while serving in the military. Initially, it was given to me for some wounds I suffered from. I had never even heard of the stuff before then but was hooked immediately.  Later I got into using morphine, heroine and other opiates found on the street.  Needles are no strangers to me.

I finally got clean by about 1976 and never used again until about 1994.  My wife was being given morphine and Dilaudid for cancer pain at the time.  It was just a matter of time before grief and fatigue brought me back to using again.  The end result of this was detox and rehab and a lot of misery for me and my family.

In 1999, I relapsed again as I stated in my first paragraph. I'm still trying to understand what is so wrong with me that I have to resort to using again and again.  My wife, for instance, has been through far worse times but has never abused herself by abusing drugs or alcohol.  This is pretty much my story in a nut shell.  Hope it helps some.

J.B.
Please do not beat yourself up I used to do that all the time and think I was a horrible person and mother because I couldn't beat the drugs they were beating me.  I think I have to think like an alcoholic in the sense that the cravings  will always be there.  I have been really upset with myself for the past couple of weeks.  I had a little fender bender and then a root canal and have been abusing the hydrocodone given to me ever since.  I thought I was past that.  I was doing so well with the Ultram and now here come the narcotics.  But before I came to the forum I would have thought I was such a bad person now I know I am a good person with a problem that I need to take care of.  I think we addicts are sensitive people and that is one of the reasons we are so hard on ourselves.  What I know of you I love of you and I know that most people could not go through what horror you have been through without problems.  How is your wife?  I did not know that she had survived cancer.  JB I just feel for you when I look at my beautiful baby boy I honestly do not think I could live without him so give yourself some credit just for being here after losing your daughter.  I am rambling but I wish I could help you in some way.  If I was there I would have Cole give you a big hug and a big sloberry kiss that would help.  He gives the best hugs for a 20 month old.  Well here is a cyber hug and please have a happy day OK!!  (((((((HUG)))))))))
is Soma (carisporidol) addictive? It's supposed to be a muscle relaxer....please help??!!
thanks
Yes, Soma is addictive...if you take it long enough, you will get withdrawals when you stop. It is a muscle relaxer, produces a mild euphoria, and has abuse potential.

If you let us know more about your situation,we can try to help.

love,
WW
Thanks for the info. on Soma...I was just curious, i recently stopped taking vicoden, i was addicted to it for awhile, and i was doing great! until i took this muscle relaxer one day, i had a horrible tension headache, problems at home, and this took it all away, i felt great. i took it for two days, and right now i don't feel any withdrawls. Is it a narcotic? does anyone know what it's made of? the ingredients? it does make me sleepy, i am afraid now,because i got clean from the vic's and now i like this, i really thought i was going to be okay, but i have stress in my life, and i don't drink, so when i get soo frustrated i take something, and then i feel like i can function. it's hard..i wish i could deal with this better,
peace,
I have had a little experience with Soma.  I've known quite a few people that were addicted to it as well.  It has "street value" in that you can buy it from dealers at inflated prices on the street corner or bars for instance.  It's not a narcotic like Vicodin or Lortab.  Soma is metabolized and changed into a sedative called meprobamate by the body. This produces quite a tranquilizing effect on your central nervous system.

The first time I used it, I made the mistake of taking it along with Lortab. I was on my way to work at the time and had to pull off the road.  Suddenly, I had no idea where I was or where I was going!  I ended up using it only at night as it really was a great sleep aid.

Hope this helps some,

J.B.
OK i didn't know anything about this personally but one of my past boyfriends his brother died on August 3, 2007. I couldn't figure out what it was from all we got was an overdose well that could be a million different things. We just now found out that it was from Xanax and alcohol. So all i am saying is this is proof i mean this happened like 2 days ago.
hey just wondering i have only taken 3 .5 xanax in like a matter of 20 minutes how high is the risk of getting a serous problem from drinking just one milwaukes best after that? i dont belive the risks are high seeing how its a low dose of xanax and only 1 beer just wondering? and no its not a constant thing.. although i am a addict to almost every drug if i can get my hands on it beside herion ive only done that once and im not a crack head junkie or anything i just like to get high  every here and there as long as it dosent jeperdize my life or others thanks for the advace and sorry about the spelling its the one thing i cant do good
and also im new to this site.. so i dont know if you can send a post to a sertian person but if any one has a question or needs help with anything feel free to ask i have experiance in many things and would be more then happy to help
hey bro nothing is worth taking your life over..all that does is let others win...be strong and take it easy i know what your going threw... not forsay i dont have cancer but ive been in the place where i was close to end my own life and was admitted for a few months things will get better and if they dont **** the bullsht and focus on the better things in life.. any one can find good in the world if they open there eyes to it hope you can work threw this bro
ok this ill stop posting after this dont want to become some one who blows up threads and such if any one could help me out though i just left where i used to live and there was did drugs every day so im having thoose damn withdrawls and jonesing for to get messed up it just seems i can never get high enough any one could help me handle this  because also im about 5 minutes away from taking another 2 xannax and drinking my last beer and if that dont work i got moraphine and kolanapines as well any one have any advise?
For God so loved the world so much  (this includes you and I ) that He gave His only son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life . John 3:16
There is Hope! Believe in Jesus. He loves you all so much.
Wow... I just wanted to add... that I have been prescribed Xanax, and have also taken it with alcohol.

I just want to say that even me - who has taken a lot of different drugs over the years - was really floored by this stuff !

Even like one 1.0 blue and two drinks can knock me out !

It is almost unbelievable as I can easily drink TEN drinks and be relatively coherent !

Mixing this stuff is dangerous !  

Can we say GABA receptors ?  Are there any chemists out there ?
Since this is 2007 and the forum dates back to 2001, I read some notes and skimmed others.  I take Xanax (a lot more than you do) and drink and have never had a problem with it.  My shrink and my doctor don't  mind if I have a couple of drinks, so I don't understand the big frenzy.  Except I DID read about the people whose friends have died.   That is not good news.   I'm not an alcoholic so I know I can and often do go back to water, straight up.  One good thing about Xanax is it is prescribed for people going off alcohol.   So water, straight up, is the natural way to get out of the dilemma if you are still on Xanax..  Alas, my deceased father was a chemist, but he's gone...  The thing is to examine why you are on Xanax at all.  

No Bible quotes from me.  I'm an atheist.  But still, I think I'm as good a person as the next.  (OK, I'm an ex-Catholic; some of that stuff never leaves your psyche.   Maybe my shrink is my substitute for a Confessor.)

I'm on Xanax for severe tinnitus combined with 1 per cent hearing.  The experts can't test either one of them.  LOL?  But tinnitus at 90 decibels is not a fun thing.
Every time ive done it i couldnt remember a thing i did the night before, which trust me isnt fun. Espically when the house is trashed and things r missing, plus having intense Anxienty the next day. But yea thats just my 2 cents, dont do it.
I have been on xanax 1.0 and cymbalta for a week...........drank a few beers forst night couldnt remeber a thing. Now after a week i have troied a few beers agin or glass of wine and all seems fine.
Its only been a week for me though.
I am tryig to be careful. Im addition to every other calming agent the dr prescribed, I sure enjoy a cocktail after my 4 kids go to bed :)
i just started taking xanax and found snorting it feels really good. is this a furture problem?
WTF? Snorting, u freekin crazy like a mofo, Noses are for breathing, it's obvious you snort other things, just be careful, Xanex and a max of 3 drinks period. no more no less. but if you take 5 xanex's then u gotta check yoself before you wreck yoself. bless the body bless the mind bless the spirit. all drugs including alcohol should only be used in low dosages. you should only have 3 drinks in 1 night max, unless u want problems, but good luck. if no drugs involved drink only 10 drinks in 1 night, never pass that and your good. and I mean a whole night not in 2 hours. Peace
im with shnizzle..................jesus if your snorting anyting you need more than xanax, you need serious help. No ofesnse, we all do. But thats crazy.
god bless youa nd be carefula d talk to soemone.
why would xanax be rx for alcohol abuse? I take it for anxiety and depresson (cymbalta) but weird is I only had 2 glasses wine, one beer and couldnt remember wrapping xmas presents tilli ask ed my husband when he did that. he didnt..............I did and sware i dont remember but also dont remember ever feeling drunk or out of it. Thisis crszy to me btw i take 1.5 xanax and 60 cymbalta
yes xanax and alchol are a deadly mix... take it from me! I was prescribed xanax and zoloft about a month ago for anxioty and depression.... I was aware of the dangers of mixing xanax with alchol and considered my self a responsible adult. But as of last friday night 12/15/07 I didn't take the drug xanax mixed with alchol seriouly enough. I had taken 2/ .5 ml  for a total of 1ml of xanax at aproximatly 10:00 pm that evening.... met some friends at a local bar about 15 miles from my home and arrived at apox 10:30 pm once I got there I was there for about 4 hrs and only had 4 beers during that time. I left the bar at 2:00 and felt completley sober. Even my friends didn't believe that I was drunk! I continued my path home on a back road in the country that was a straight shot to my home town 15 miles away... I remember the entire drive home up untill the last 60 sec. before my last stop 1 mile from my home. At that Stop sign I should have made a right turn to continue to my house 1 mile away but instead.... I had completley blackedout for a period of around 60 sec. and ran threw the stop sigh on a major high way and continued threw to a residential neighbor hood... grated this opposing street from the stop sign was NOT directly in line with my previouse lane of traffice... after running the stop sign my car ran off the road and I came too just in time to realize where I was an that my car was out of control... I lost control and ran in to a ditch on my drivers side that then caused my car to go airborn aprox 20 ft and landed on the passengers side, then rolled again and came to a stop after being butted next to an oak street 1 ft from my drivers side door... every pieces of glass in the car was shattered my drivers side wheels were ripped of and lying under the car and the passengers side was completley smashed in. My car was totaled. I will say that only God above or his Angels were with me that night. I immediatly was able to walk out of that car with only a few bumps and bruises.....PLEASE TAKE IT FROM ME! XANAX AND ALCHOL ARE A DEADLY MIX NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU TAKE OR DRINK. when the DPS arrived I admitted to drinking and using the xanax earlier that evening. Not realizing that the xanax would still have that kind of effect on me later.... but they gave me a sobriaty test and I did fairly well but the breath anylizer indicated I was 2 point over the leage limit there for I when to jail for a DWI... I have never been in trouble witht the law before I am a volunteer fire fighter and a mother of two small children.. I own my own computer company and consider my self a very responsible individule... I simply did not educate my self enough on this medication nor did I respect it's potency! I feel it is crutial that I tell my story! because as many of you have said there are Dr's out there handing out these RX's like candy with out giving detailed explaination of the hazzards.... God woke me up for a reason! and spared my life for a reason! I feel if I can convince just one person not to Drink and take this med.... It just might save their life... and let me ad, I have drank many more beers before and drove twice the distance, (not that I should have) but managed to be in the right mind enough to get home just fine.... my black out was a complete lack of lime mentally..... as if I was never even there... I actually thought it was a dream when I finally come to and realized I was out of control and headed for several big oak trees in someones front yard. aprox 60 ft from where I hit the ditch.
Ok, I have read everyones answers, but still feel I need a little clarity.  I do not abuse alcohol, but I do enjoy 1 beer every night before going to bed.  I also take .5 mg 3 times a day of xanax for panic disorder and general anxiety disorder.  I never drink more than that one beer.  I have not been drunk in over 3 years.  Is it dangerous to have that one beer a night while taking the dose of xanax I am taking?  I am 6'3'' and 220 pounds as well.  So I am not by any means a small person.  Can anyone give me a valid answer to this question?  And to give a horror story myself, I used to abuse Xanax.  I once took 7 mg's and had about 15 shots of Tequila here in Mexico.  I ended up taking on a car load of Mexican, which ended with me getting a baseball bat accross the face and losing 2 teeth not to mention all the stitches.  But that would be abusing.  And since that night, I have never been drunk again.  So is that 1 beer dangerous???
Hello
I have concerns because my 23 year old daughter and her friends like to do xanax and alcohol.  I found this forum and your comments just confirm the information I have read in other places.  She lives 900 miles away from me and there is nothing I can do.  She also smokes pot and doesn't seem to have any desire to stop this spiral.  2 years ago, before meeting and hanging with the group that has introduced her to this mix, she had graduated w/ a 2 year degree, working 3 jobs and on her own, working hard and living life strong and conscientiously. Since losing herself in this mess and lifestyle, she has stopped taking care of the basics, lost her car, lost her license, lost her place, lives with other party animal addicts (believe it or not - this is with a woman my age (44) who parties hard, only works one job (the one where she met and associates with this group of addicts) and has very little contact with her family and lifelong friends. It breaks my heart and I am worried to the point of not sleeping and waiting for that dreaded phone call.  I have told her what could happen to her and begged her to step back and get away from this mess, but she seems to think she's not that bad.  I know I can't change it, but it really sucks - she wasn't raised in this kind of environment and is smarter than this, but I know the more  substances you use, the more your brain is in denial.  Since I am not a drinker or drug abuser, I  have no understanding of this desire.  I have my share of problems, hard luck and depression, but I choose not to give in and allow myself to rely on meds or alternatives for dealing with life.  Any input or suggestions are appreciated and I hope for those of you struggling with the same addictions and others, you can find the strength to pull yourselves out.  Show me any truly successful drug addicts/alcoholics in this world?  Look at the Brittney's, Lindseys, Rock stars and others in the public eye- they have the world on a silver platter, more money than God, have the ability and werewithal to pay for the best help and they are just as ****** up as the real people, only again, they choose this path!!!
Hey I stopped smoking pot after smoking it heavily for 7 years and im onley 21. It really hasnt been a problem at al. except this time I decide to quite and land a wonderful job that I have been looking for and it has onley been a week sense I had stopped smoking. I have to take the UA in about another week in ahalf and im litttle concerned.
Welcome to the forum. The original post date on the thread you are on is over six and a half years old. These people are not here anymore. Go to the top of this page and hit the green 'Post Question' button. Start your own post. You will get more people to read your post and will get more answers.
Greatgreebo
My brother is addicted to xanax he takes I think 2mg a day. He also is an alcoholic. He is always messed up and keeps saying that he is losing his mind and does not remember stuff. He sleeps all day and is up all night? I am really  wondering how he is still alive. He had a seisure(dont know how to spell) about 3 months ago. My question is i guess, what other things could happen to him? heart attack? etc? He is really going crazy...and its scaring me. Please let me know what yall think. Thank you
I took xanax in early 90's and it took me 2 years to get off it. I was up to 4 -2mg a day. They had me pop them in half like once a month and let me get use to that dose.. It was the worse expeience of my life.. At the end they could not get me off the last dose.. I had to go on Klonopin to finally get me off xanax.. At the time Dr. said it is worst than cocaine to come off..
I am a 220 woman, and I have a severe phobia about needles. I need some injections and bloodwork done soon. How much Xanax should I take for it to be effective due to my weight? I am 5"6. Thanks
hi this is a very old post, please go to the top of the page click on post question and start your on thread...you will get lots of responses.  most ppl dont respond on old threads.  see you on the forum
cathy
i take .5 milligram of xanax once a day, it really makes me tired but does have a calming effect, wondering about how i am going to get off of this drug, i am a nervous person and worry about everything so the drug helps me. i remember i ended up in the hospital about a year and half ago thought i was having a heart attack but they tested my heart and figured i had some issues with panic attacks and anxiety...
Something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKuGOY6G7HI
Hey There...!
I did not experience anything in my past. So I am unable to answer your question.
Selection of your topic is very good...
I gathered lot of info from you...
Thanks,

====================
Alex

Addiction Recovery Rhode Island
If i mix alcohol with 50 1 mg tablets of xanax will that kill  me?
someone help me. i am so far gone. im crying. i am an ex-coke addict. i have been off drugs for 3 and a half years. i got a in a car wreck and had to take hydros for pain. now once my pain is gone (of course) i am becoming addicted. i had just started to get my life back. now i'm craving hydros so bad!!!!!!!!! its 6 a.m. and i am trying to get these stupid ******* pills and i have taking xantax just so i can feel some type of feelings. im drinking again and now i feel my life is going back to ****. I was even studying computer science. now i feel like i am a nobody loser. i dont know what to do. i have had a horrible childhood. It seems like it never leaves me alone. my dad is a homeless loser. its seems like im destined to be a druggy. anyone have advice? im in desperate times.
Damn right it will. It just depends on YOUR tolerance level to both. Sooner or later, because of the half-life of the benzo's, there will be enough in your system that you'll just take one drink or pill or both over YOUR personal limit, and you'll die.
I get a Rx for valium, but they're useless unless I'm havinga Panic Attack. Snorting as much Oxycontin as I do, I find that it's the real problem, and I know that sooner or later, I, too, will snort one too many, and then......croak
You're depressed and are taking depressants. Xanax and all Benzo's are depressants. Mixing them with alcohol will intensify them and you will become even MORE DEPRESSED. so STOP. on't confuse pain meds with Benzo's they're not the same and do not have the same effect. If you have cravings, get the pain meds, DO NOT substitute depressents for them. You will become so depressed you WILL start to cry. That's normal.
Sounds like you're experiencing depression because you're on the depressants, but the cause isn't clear. Yes, sounds like you have a number of problems that you're dealing with, and you're self medicating to deal with them. Pain meds (and believe me, I know) are a great way to mask the symptoms of your problems and make life feel great. Until they wear off. Then, you need more, and then, more and more. Until you'll end up like me... hooked so bad on Oxy's that they control your life, and then there's this **** that I deal with. Yeah, being hooed like a big fat fish, on snorting Oxycontins every time you can think of a reason, or just waiting for the physical withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms to hit you, and then shaking and sweating and having to have a snort to feel well again. It's a *****.
So, as I was saying, get off the pain meds while you still can. Yeah, I know how easy it was to say that, and look at me, an addict. Hey, right now, I'm a useless piece of flesh and I hate it. I hate it so bad I've been thinking I'm better off dead. But, you know, this helps me too. Just telling you what you're going through and sharing MY useless life with you, gives me a reason NOT to kill myself, so thanks.
I love drinking  and taking xanax. Very fun. I also recomend taking klonopin when drinking. Have fun and remember you only live once.
Gotta be careful mixing Xanax and alcohol. I learned a very expensive lesson. This past summer, I was mixing the two, got into my car, and drove some 60 miles from home. I was picked up, issued a DUI, and had to go to jail. I will never know how I got though it without wrecking my car or killing myself or an innocent person. There was obviously an angel on my shoulder that night.
just wanted to share my two cents. took xanex as i always do for flying .5mg.  6 hours later went out for drinks, not usually a big drinker but drank more than usual as we arrived on new years eve and everyone was buying everyone else drinks, not thinking a minute about the alprazolam i took earlier in the day having ANY residual effect.  Was fine one minute and like a mack truck hit me not the next. 2 hours later i was in the bathroom throwing up like crazy and intermittently passing out, could barely walk and could not think straight, thank god my husband was there to bring me home "safely" and both him and my brother were surprised at the effects of the evening as they did not think i had "that" much..  I am LUCKY TO BE ALIVE.  thank god i woke up the next morning...  DONT MIX THEM!!!!!
just a side note here. i have been taking 1 to 2 mg of xanax and mixing it with 48(4 beers) oz of icehouse on a regular basis(pretty much whenever i run out of weed). I notice if i drink more than that, i wake up the next day with  MAJOR hangover, and an attitude to match ( dont talk to me on that day, i WILL bite your head off).  Other than the aggresive (aggressive) personality disorders, and semi-blackouts (remember little or nothing of the end of the night before) i have had no bad reactions, and it seems to be the only way i can deal with the forced sobriety of running out of marijiuana.  I have had small issues with opiates in the past(no heroin, just pills like vicodin/lortab etc). Again - nothing major, i just like to keep a buzz on in the evenings.  Not to sound like a addict (which, of course i am), but i have had little to zero adverse effects doing this over the last cpl of years.

On a side note, i would advise NOT taking xanax to get high if you are not already doing it. It is a low grade high with what i consider to be annoying and somewhat aggrivating side effects, but i certainly have never felt i couldn't quit, or felt close to OD-ing to the point of death or serious medical problems. I actually go months at  time not taking any benzos whatsoever ...as long as i have SOMETHING to get me by. Weed being my preference.

But, by all means, dont follow my example ..but i do think the xanax/alchohol combo reputation is a bit overblown.  Maybe that's just me.
I can speak to mixing xanax with alcohol. I was prescribed them for anxiety attacks. I was goig to a friends house to help her prepair for a kids party the next day. We all planned on drinking that night. I had left my pills at home cause I didnt think I would need them. I ended up very stressed and she gave me one of hers (which was a 1 mg and I took a .5!) Well we started drinking. Apparently I kept asking for more, (I dont remember anything after the first two shots of vodka I took!) I ended up taking 7 1mg xanax. They thought I was fine cause i was acting normal. I wint thru a fifth of vodka and 7 xanax. I am a very straight, happily married, woman. I ended up doing things (sexual) with the girl and dont remember it at all. Of course they just thought I was drunk and having fun. I would never do that in my right mind. I woke up the next morning and they were flipping out wondering what had got into me.I didnt believe them. Turns out we all had took pics the whole night and there was the proof of the night I cant remember but will never forget. Its a bad bad combination!
Alright, I was going to comment on one or two posts but as I read I realized it wouldn't be useful to people needing the answers I wanted to give. I took xanax for 9 years and while I can't say anyone on this post has been deceitful I do feel compelled to tell you (without sounding dramatic or commerce) that I have lost 5 friends to drinking and taking xanax.  I realize everybody feels they know their O.D. point but I am actually lucky to be telling this story, because all my friends were sure they knew their limits, we all know, everyone of us know, we can't control our behavior during a blackout.  For those unsure of the details incurred during a blackout, compared to those who are more than familiar, we the "blackoutters" know these are moments not only lost, but they are usually extremely embarrassing to hear about the next day.  I will talk more about that in later posts if requested to but simply put, it is totally possible to take these two drugs together and not die. However, your ability to live doesn't "always" depend on your so called diligence to take an amount you think you can handle, because while in a sober condition "you" may be able to control certain factors like drug intake, the lying problem with Xanax and alcohol is that once you're mind function decides to forget those things (which Xanax causes you're short-term memory to be reduced, deducted or  even expunged) once you take too much, you realistically don't have any control of your life what-so-ever anymore.  I also read someones post that if you do not taper "benzos" correctly you may have seizures.  This is completely untrue because if you ever tried to taper from any "benzo" other than Valium, (Valium is the only Benzodiazepine in which there are no tranquilizers) your body can still withdrawal even if you dropped your dose slowly because Benzodiazepines have tranquilizers (excluding Valium) and do not level in the blood stream giving your brain the conclusion it is not receiving the GAMMA 5 drug it will be looking for. In this case, tapering from any Benzodiazepine will never guarantee you will not feel the full withdrawal symptoms you would receive versus you decided to quit "cold turkey." Simply put, if you are not addicted to any "benzos" .......RUN!!  I do however know of a program if you are addicted and looking to quit, it is called the Ashton taper..Named after Dr. Heather Ashton. I am here to help I promise, here are the two BEST WEBSITES in the world if you are addicted to Benzodiazepines of any kind..Go to   http://www.psychmedaware.org/index.html
http://www.benzo.org.uk/ashvtaper.html
These web sites can save your life so please go! Feel free to email me.

For all people, please take these drugs seriously and know I am not a Doctor so these opinions I have given are to be taken with a level of possible scrutiny.  I have given my opinions based solely on experience and not on education.  Though many life factors are taken from education in itself, it does not exclude those professionals from being more than the qualified unbiased information you may seek, while us users may feel their bases and expertise are sometimes or furthermore limited.  
Hey my nephew has tourettes syndrome and is extremely OCD. His doctor has him on 4 two mg. xanax (namebrand) xtended every day. Is that a normal dose? He weighs about 120lbs and sometimes slips and drimks beer...this really messes him up  I mean he has no idea of what he is doing when this happens...I say he is an addict..my sister insists that he is self medicating and is not an addict.  what do you think?
you should not drick if you take xanex it will mess you up as for being an addict dode he run out of pills early or take more then prescribed or drink and pop the xanex at the same time those are all addictive behaviors but he defenetlty needs to stop drinking with the pills good luck and God bless......Gnarly
I have been taking xanax for 11 years. I started out with the pink ones when my son died by suicide. But, have gotten really bad the past year. I've taken about 8 mg every day . I always run out because my Pysch Doctor wont give me that many. But, I can't sleep at all unless I take 2 and a half mg at night. Im a wreck. I tried to go cold turkey and into day 3 I could barely make it to the ER. They gave me one and a half mg and magic, I felt better. They keep saying they are going to try to wean me off, but I dont know how. I just dont know what to do.
Linda

ps I cant remember anything anymore. I constantly repeat myself. My best friend calls me 50 first Dates!!!!!!!!!!
I'm ****** on drugs right now and let me tell you wuuuooooooooo what a blast in the face and crazy mental spinning feelings not good be reasonable with it and you'll be OK for sure being as your body make up reacts in a neutral or posative way. Anyway good luck to ya I'm goin to rehab PEACE.
How's that working for ya?   Holdin down the job alright?  Kids well taken care of?   Parents and siblings proud of your success?

Stay around, looks like someday you'll like it here.  Post back tomorrow, let us know how you are doing.
Let's hope he's in rehab by tomorrow?

And we'll be here when you get back.  Good luck to you!
I am a recovering alcoholic...5 yrs sober...my dr gave me Xanax for sleep. Now i am having alcohol cravings and even dreams...can Xanax cause this?