Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Xanax withdrawl(withdrawal) and natural supplements

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Aloha! I was prescribed Xanax for stress and panic attacks. I have found that after reluctantly  finally trying one after having them for months in my medicine cabinet, that not taking them is worse now than my panic attacks prior.

My question here is has anyone ever tried a natural /herbal alternitive to xanax? and if so has it worked?

I purchased something that seems to be helping a little. but justtried it 2 times now.
Thank You, I have only been on them a very very short time, but I really hate the fact that I feel so wierd when I do not take them. I never take anything but this is not good. I actually feel like I am going to drop on the floor....eeeeh!

Please share with me the holistic alternitive as I hate this.

I was using Xanax .5 mg 2-3 x a day as perscribed and found that I also was becoming increasingly anxious. My doctor said that it is common for them to cause rebound anxiety and put me on Clonopin. I take .5 mg 1-2 x a day and have less anxiety. Never tried anything herbal. Good luck. Corey
Thank You Corey

Well maybe that is it..rebound anxiety. Sounds right.

I don't like this at all, and want to find something to make it stop!
Be careful with the zanax.

Maybe try Valerian root or kava kava? But, you need to address the zanax problem - I, for one, am unconfortable with the way you say you feel wihout them............
I found that L-theanine is a good subsitute for xanax. I purchase mine at the local vitamin shop. But you can't take them if you are currently taking anti-depressants.

I hope you feel better soon.
I am trying this supplement called sweet serenity and seems to take the strange edge off of the wierdness I feel.
Thank You for the feedback I really appreciate this.

I am truely willing to try anything natural, and not ever take anything like this again.
I don't take anything other than vitamins.

Mahalo
I have read that L-theanine is considered an natural xanax. I take some made by Source Naturals called "Theanine Serene with Relora". It also works in about 15 min to 1/2 hour because it acts directly on the brain.

From Wikipedia: "Theanine is an amino acid commonly found in tea (infusions of Camellia sinensis). Theanine is related to glutamine, and can cross the blood-brain barrier.[1] Because it can enter the brain, theanine has psychoactive properties.[2] Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress[3], may produce feelings of relaxation[4] and improves cognition and mood when taken in combination with caffeine.[5]"

From the bottle: : "Don't let occasional stress get you down. THEANINE SERENEā„¢ contains the amino acids L-theanine to support relaxing brain wave activity and taurine to ease tension, as well as the calming neurotransmitter GABA. It also features magnesium to support muscle and nerve relaxation, and calming valerian root extract to gently soothe away the tension in your body. Try THEANINE SERENE to start relaxing today.
Now contains holy basil, the primary botanical used in India to promote centered calmness and reduce the negative effects of stress; may act by lowering cortisol production.
L-Theanine is a unique amino acid found in green tea, which promotes relaxed alertness and calm focus, and supports relaxing brain wave activity.
Also features the amino acid taurine to ease tension, the calming neurotransmitter GABA, and the mineral magnesium, which supports muscle and nerve relaxation."

Good luck and hang in there!

Wow thank you so much!
I will go get some. sounds like it will help.

Mahalo

Mokihana
Sorry off the topic but if I lived in Maui I don't think I would need another anxiety pill. I would just go look at all the beauty. Wayne Dyer lives there I think. His books have helped give me some inner peace. Peace to you. I hope the Ltheanine works for you. Corey
L-theanine...that is my vote if u want to stay with the natural stuff...calme forte from walmart tis good as well...if i had to go RX...i would choose buspar as it not habit forming as a rule...