Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Xanax

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Xanax

Good Evening! Does anybody know about how many milligrams of Xanax I could safely take to get through the first few days of withdrawls? I know it should be every 8 hours, but do you think it's okay to use more often? I have taken a half of a 0.5mg. before & it put me to sleep. Thanks!
Not sure, my first few days of withdrawals I scored a couple xanax a couple ambiens and a couple valiums and nothing could put me asleep, they were high doses aswell.  I dont recommend taking a lot it might make you feel like ****.  I think I stayed up for nearly 5 days straight.  Xanax always was powerful to me in the past, I would be on a coke binge, eat half a xanax and be out in 15 minutes. But even mixing it with sleeping pills during withdrawals couldn't do anything.
I am going through terrible wd's right now and Xanax is saving me. I did  a lot of research on it and dependent on the dosage it is .5 mg every 6 hrs. The manufacturers of Xanax say a 2mg tab is equal to 10mg of Valium but I have found several other sites not connected to the manufacturer that say .5mg is equal to 10mg Valium. For me I am taking 1mg 4x day and it really is helping with the anxiety and has completely knocked out the cold sweats. Miracle drug but please understand it is also addictive. After 10 days you should feel no more PHYSICAL symptoms of withdrawal as at that point it is all a mental battle. So after 10 days be sure to stop the Xanax and tough out any symptoms you have left.

Have you started yet? If not do you when you might start. Please keep posting because there a lot of people interested in your success and we will help you any way we can. Just want to vent? Then go right ahead. Need answers? Just ask. We are sooo very glad to welcome you to the group.

Post lots and good luck to you.
I would say don't take more than 2 mg/day EVER.  My dr. said 2 mg is the highest dose for anyone to go cold turkey off of and not have seizures.  Anything else is DANGEROUS.
Avatar n tn
Xanax has a half life of 6 hours. That is very short and the withdrawal symptoms are horrendous. There is something about the  the 2 mg tabs "bars" that just give me the worst withdrawals. Footballs 1 mg no problem. Bars... god help me. I am stopping cold turkey tonight of of 75 of those things in a week (150 mg).  I just can't get enough of them. I built up such a tolerance that I could eat 11 in a day and not even feel intoxicated. Of course my behaviour was erratic and I was way more outgoing than I should be.(Everyone could notice I was intoxicated but I didn't feel high at all) I thought I was beautiful but really I was ugly. The weird thing is that when I was younger I used to have black outs on xanax. Now I remember every detail. My tolerance has gone through the roof. Xanax is a very potent and addictive benzo. And what really bites is that I don't even get any euphoria from it any more.
I hope you're not thinking of quitting xanax CT!!! Especially with the amounts you're taking. Xanax is a benzo and they MUST be tapered off. The risk of seizure is way too high. Please go to your dr and establish a tapering plan with him/her.
You can find already loads of info on this site : http://www.benzo.org.uk/
And an example of tapering plan on this one : http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s1
Best of luck to you! xoxoxoxo. Sophie.
Yes you are right about the benzos, years ago, going through a divorce I took xanax for 6 months and then one day decided I didn't need them anymore and went into really bad anxiety withdrawls.  I went into detox and they put me on klonopin and gradually weaned off of that for six months under a dr.s care, it can be done.  I am currently weaning off hydrocodone 10/325 from 8 a day down to 4, and I find that benadry helps a lot with the anxiety, also taking lexapro.  Good luck to you anewbeginning, this is a very helpful website!!!  
Xanax can be helpful if taken properly, but as an addict it is very easy to allow yourself to take not only enough to relieve the symptoms but to get high from them and once on Xanax you can become addicted to  that easily.  Be careful and maybe have some one help you monitor your dosage.
I am 23 days into Valium WD and was prescribed Xanax 1mg 3/day as needed for severe anxiety but don't quite take that much.  When will rapid heartbeat and sweats stop?

best to go to the top of this page and click on the Post a Question..that way you will start a new thread and get more feedback. There will be others with more info..I have ??'s myself about  this topic :) so I look forward to reading your responses.
copy and paste, maybe. I'm sorry you're feeling so bad 23 days into this..have you called your Dr.?
I went to a psychiatrist because I was having chronic, acute anxiety attacks because I had NO coping skills.  He started me on 3 2 mg xanax and it stopped working after 2 weeks.  He said I have a high tolerance and shot me up to 6 2 mg bars.  I then started taking 180 tablets and was out in 2 weeks.  We discussed it and he said it was the wrong decision and that I needed to wean off because I had previous seizures trying to quit on my own. Last a seizure I was on the floor with blue lips.  Thank God I am alive.   He is now weaning me with Klonopin because of the longer time it lasts and the longer half life.  I was on 4 1 mg a day and now down to 2 after 2 months.  I am feeling better and getting my memory back and started looking like crap.  I will start with 1 1/2 on my next visit in another month and I am truly feeling better and do not have the desire to abuse like Xanax.  I lost so much memory, my eyesight was getting worse and my hair was thinning out.  Once I am off any benzos I am off FOR GOOD.  All I can say is NEVER stop on your own and NEVER EVER drink with benzos, thank GOD I quit drinking 6 years ago this month.  You have ..to take responsibility for wanting to quit and be honest with your doctor. ll  It can be done weaning safely.  BE HONEST...we all know benzos are highly addictive, (klonopin, valium, temazepam, xanax)...all will turn on you at some point. Remember never c/d on your own...you may wake up dead.
Good luck to all struggling and it may take a year for your brain and your own natural chemicals WILL come back.  I will never take another benzo once I am off these Klonopin.  Life is tough, life is on life's terms and anxiety is from underlying issues we don't deal with...easier to pop a pill?  NO. I am seeing a psychologist who talks me through things...all psychiatrist did was put me immediately on meds...he never talked things through with me....a patient every 20 minutes with him to listen for 15 minutes then write a script.  I tried cold turkey, and it was pure hell.  Please trust me on this.....I promise you the w/d is horrendous and it doesn't have to happen if you are honest with Dr. and really want to quit.  Thanks, God Bless
After drinking 20+ beers a day and taking 8-1 mil Xanax's a day I sought out detox. Ativan was the only med they treated with. They started low and built them up to a crescendo then brought me back down. It was the hardest thing I've done in my long life. I was near death with the life I was leading. I'm done forever with both poisons. Yet my battle is still raging on.

I now take 19 pills a day. Neurontin2400 Mil per day, Trazodone, Antivert, Inderol, along with vitamins have saved me again. All non-narcotic. The two things that has helped the most are my family and friends along with a great determination. Yet nothing can help me as much as will-power and Doctors. I'm not close to be the person I once was. Thanks for listening and good luck to all.
Welcome to the forum~  This is a really old thread that you have found and posted on.....that happens to most of us that find MedHelp thru an internet search.
If you go to the top of this page and hit the "post a question" tab, then you can re-post a NEW thread and it will be seen by a lot more people.

This forum is full of lots of support....hope you'll stick around.

Thanks clean. Chatting is good therapy for me. I'll be looking for you.
I take .05 mg a day as prescribed. My brother takes about 10 .05 pills and he basically just passes out. Dont know why he takes that many. My Mom took xanax .05 mg for 20 years straight untill they just passed some new strict drug laws in California. The doctors completely stopped her prescriptons and gave her 10 kolidopin. Crazy. I also take 10/325 Hyro apap. Norco. twice a day.