Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Your Triggers?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Your Triggers?

I am having a rare day of craving and am so thankful they don't happen as much as they used to. There was a time I craved every single day and it was so frustrating. The times that I crave now usually come when something triggers it, like my dog being so sick right now has made me sad and I feel like being numb, but I choose to fight through this craving. Triggers play a big part in our recovery and I have learned by eliminating some, it does make this fight easier. I think most of us addicts have many triggers, i do for sure, but what is your biggest one? What do you do to get through a craving? I try to keep busy and admit that I am feeling weak so that I don't hide behind my addiction.

My biggest trigger is----------
36%
 (11) 
Stress
26%
 (8) 
Pain
16%
 (5) 
Boredom
13%
 (4) 
Being around those that use
0%
 (0) 
Alcohol
6%
 (2) 
Other?
30 Members voted
Alcohol was always one of my biggest triggers for drug use, but i voted for stress. Stress makes me want to not think and be numb, but that is not a way to live. I guess we just have to allow ourselves to feel and live life on life's terms.
No reason for me to hide, lol....I voted for pain..ugh.
i have the dates of refills for my hook ups remembered, that is my trigger, just knowing that someone is getting there refill today. One lady is my aunt so its hard to quit talking to her, but she only lives ten mins away and i know she gets her refill on the 14th of every month and that is hard on me.
Stress and being board.
Boredom is a key factor for me. i am on day 5 and I've have totally kept myself busy. I don't even feel awful anymore. I have stayed away from my sister for the last 2 weeks, though, because she uses. That's been tough.
Boredom is a big one for me and when i am craving i talk about it and crank my music up.  Nothin like some Judas Priest or ACDC.........
My one and only trigger that I've had since getting clean off of the pills was the pain. Believe it or not, it's still there and sometimes too intense for Motrin 800 or OTC Tylenol to take care of. The one thing that pushes me through what hurts me the most physically is getting on this site and typing to others, knowing that someone else out there is hurting just like me...
Mine is when the weekend comes around and it sure gave me a pep to do the list of stuff I had to do. It just seemed to make it feel better...........
i voted stress...thankfully cravings are rare but in the past they were killer...usually happened in the morning when i knew my day was jam packed with responsibilities i had to finish...what helped was the forum naturally,  listening to my favorite songs and remembering pills just gave me a false sense of being....gizzy, i pray your baby feels better soon....i m so sorry you are sad but getting numb won t help.  we have to catch what life throws us even though it s hard...God bless...maria
Today and the last couple of days.. I have to agree with Jacqui. Pain... lesa
Hi Gizzy - I voted boredom, but have been exceptionally lucky because I have not had really much of any cravings in the 108 days I have been sober.  I gave up alcohol - everything - and the first time that I became mad at something silly, I really over reacted and the first thing I wanted to do was grab the Grey Goose - was not an option.  I had to learn to "feel" all over again.  Congrats for not giving in to your cravings - I am sorry to hear about your dog.  I like the way that you posted here by asking others what their triggers are and sharing yours - thanks.
severe pain is of course a trigger which I have often. High stress also. And thunderstorms/tornadoes (i used to chase storms and always got so excited and high when a severe storm would rumble through) fortunately, this whole spring and summer of this year has been virtually storm free, we had NO storm warnings at all that i can recall and its just been really boring weatherwise for once- so that was a plus for me this year.
All of the above except for alcohol...
shame
self pity
dwelling on the past
humiliation
feeling of worthlessness
"       "     disconnect
sadness

pain
The reason I started on pills was b/c of the awful pain. That is my trigger.
At first I wanted to say boredom but NO, being around others that use is my number one trigger.. all my strength shrivels into ZERO if I'm around it.  I sometimes wish I could find a remote island where there is NOTHING available.. this way I wouldnt have to worry about it... Boredom number 2.