aa don't like junkies??
am i alone in thinking people at aa don't really like addicts in there meetings. or am i just going to the wrong meetings? ive been told to say drink and not drug and it would be ok .if im going to a meeting to get help .sould i have to be careful what word's i use?am i a drunk? yes. but i wish that was my only problem.i haven't drank in a year.im 13 days off methadone. there is a . AA meeting close by me. I have to travel 35 miles to NA.
i went to a few where i live and when i speak, i start by saying "i'm jesse, addict and alcoholic". then the next person speaks and will say something like "i dont feel the need to say addict because thats what an alcoholic is", but not directly at me. so yeah i feel the cold shoulder also, it's mostly the old alcoholics though, the ones who are over 10 years clean. just what i've seen, maybe just coincident.    -jessejames
Screw them.You can address yourself as you feel.AA originated here in Ohio, and we have allot of hardcore old timers here who had direct links to people who helped make AA what it is- Never has it been written anywhere that you need to say "alcoholic".
The only requirement for AA is a desire to stop drinking- tell those who feel the need to correct you to worry about taking their own inventory, you just go and get what you need out of the meetings, we all have a right to be there regardless of a title.
my meeting is AA...people say both...I am an alcoholic and addict...i am an addict..i am an alcoholic..doesnt matter
The meetings I have gone to have been the same as worried's.  I used to say I was an alcoholic and an addict, as did about 50% of the other people. It was OK. However, it is possible to have found a group that just doesn't fit you.  Are there any other close meetings at other times? Meetings are sort of like shoes....you have to find the ones that fit.    
I attend AA meetings,didn't care for the N A meetings in my area.I think you just need a different group if you're feeling uncomfortable.It took me some time shopping around until I found a few that I really like.By the way Congrats on the 13 days,thats great.I'm coming up on 8 months free of methadone myself.All the best...Kim
good job on 8 months i know its been hell.thank to all. any tips for me on what worked for you?
The best tip I can give you is patience..and believe me I know how hard it is to practice that right now going with what you're going through.That old saying 'time heals all wounds' never reigned more true to me than when I began my journey to recovery from methadone.It's just about the hardest battle I've ever encountered in my life,and most definitely the most rewarding.Exercise is a huge help ,the more the better.I also listened to a lot of music that I found inspiration in.I think one of my favorite songs to listen too then and now is "I Can See Clearly Now"....Give it a listen maybe it will help you too.I'm always here to help in any way I can so feel free to send me a pm anytime.Hang in there,you're doing great...Peace...Kim