Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
addiction to pain killers

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

addiction to pain killers

What are the long term affect's of abusing pain killers, i.e. kidney damage, liver damage, etc.? Not only is the loved one I am writing about take more than the prescribed dosage, she also mixes alcohol with them. She will get to the point that she looks and act's drunk. She can barely function. Can you give me some advice on how to show that we are concerned about her and where we can go for help?
Long term physical effects depend on whether the painkiller has aceteminophen.  High dosages of aceteminophen, especially accompanied by alcohol, can cause liver damage.  Also, someone getting that messed up may have an accident (driving, falling down stairs, etc.).  Additionally, studies are indicating there may be permanent changes to the brain which may result in a long-term addict being unable to fully experience pleasure due to their abuse.  Finally, the most destructive things are not physical but are psychological and social.  Read the posts here about the suffering people are going through.  Addiction destroys peoples lives, not just their bodies.  My body barely suffered but my life sure did!  If you want to read lots of stories written by addicts (and also many by families of addicts) go to www.prescriptionabuse.org.
It depends what time period you are inquiring about.  My drug use lasted 22 years.  Started with pot, qualudes, acid and coke.  Ended with painkillers, first Vicodin, then Lorcet, then oxycontin or MS-contin.  Last time I quit painkillers (and I do hope it IS the last time) I was up to having to take close to 300mg oxycontin a day just to feel "normal."  Not high, just not feeling like I was dying the worst flu ever suffered.  Some other drugs here and there during the painkiller phase.  I thought I'd never be "happy" without my drugs, especially pills.  Now I can honestly say I wasn't happy (just often numb enough not to care).  Today I am pretty serene, grounded and living life.  Some days are good, some not so good but I OWN THOSE DAYS.  Really living life, good and bad, is the best reward I could ever have.  I do hope you get there too.  Best wishes, Brian
I wonder if any of your families tried to get you into recovery for your addictions.  I have been trying to get my mother to get help but she insists she doesn't have a problem.  And my father just lets her take the pills and even gets her more if she runs out.  I have been working on how I deal with the stuation, but as long as mom is still using, my family is in turmoil.  My daughters don't want to see her and I really can't blame them.  And I won't force them to.  I was just wondering.
I have been there and I am there now. My mother has an addiction to pain killers also, the doctor gave them to her 4 years ago when she hurt her back, the bad thing is that sometimes you can't help them. My family and I have been trying to get my mom help for quiet some time now, but until they are ready to seek help there is nothing you can do. Most of the time when you confront an addict they feel that you are judging them or that you just don't understand, the only advice I know to give you is pray that she will see the light and get help. Unil then let her know that you are there for her and that you love her and that you are willing to help, but don't let her drag you down with her. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, best of luck! Let me know how it turns out.
I have been taking vicodin for a little over 1 yr. for pain that i have following sinus surgury that resulted in nerve damage.  My physician has been giving me steriod shots in the problem area and this has been working very well.  The problem is i still as for vicodin because i need it and am obviously addicted to it.  I take 5 per day on average and sometimes less.  I am not able to check in to a treatment center and not willing.  How do i stop taking and can i just wean myself off. What would you recommend.

Thank you
300 mgs of oxy a day is getting up there, were you biting them?, what was wrong with you? hurt your back or somthin?
I guess I'M ASKING FOR HELP. i've been taking 2 vicodan  and 1 mg. ativan along with large glass of wine on and off for over ayear.I know i'm numbing out...stress,etc. I ALSO WAS RECENTLY DX WITH HEP C...NO LIVER DAMAGE YET. wHAT TO DO WHERE TO START. please respond with anything except thats stupid....I KNOW THAT ALREADY. THANKS
To Jeff;;
You can ween your self off of 5 vicodin a day
pretty easily, Do it over a months time so you
wont feal any withdraw, as for going to a
treatment center to get off of vicoden, they
would probly laugh at you all the way to the
bank, vicodin is so minor compared to what most
people go to a"treatment" center for, You might
want to see if you can get just plain
Hydrocodone so your not taking all that APAP,
They say it is very bad for your liver, Im not
sure if they make plain hydrocodone, but I know
they make plain oxycodone, {Percolone} with no
APAP,  If your not abusing them, or acting
stupid, or sleeping all day, and you still have
pain, why do you want to stop takin them?

To carol;.
  you wrote;..;.;i've been taking 2 vicodan and
1 mg. ativan along with large glass of wine on
and off for over ayear.I know i'm numbing
out...

You are probly geting more of a buZZ from the ativan than you are from 2 vicodin's a day, the
ativan is a benzo, like valium or xanax,  the alcohol and the apap in the vicodin aint g00d,
but it wont kill ya, anytime soon anyway, you should consider your self lucky to be able to feal good on that little bit of meds, you must have a very very low tolerance, 2 vicodin a day woudent even keep me from going through withdraws, nevermind kill any pain or give me a ""buzz"",, you should be able to get off the vicodin with no trouble,, You might have more trouble with the wine though;.;.; good luck;.
Jay,
I totally understand what you are dealing with. My husband abused pain pills and mixed it with herion, cocaine, and crack. He wouldn't get help, no matter what I said. He finally went to rehab to get help. He then in there found out that he had diabetes, and that his organs were damaged. He's a mess. He doesn't feel good most of the time. He gets angry a lot still. I'm sorry, but she wouldn't seek help until she's ready. He didn't either. I hope she seeks help. Pray for her.
My sister recently came to us to get help for her addiction to opiates(oxycontin) of choice and other not so addictive narcotics. My advice is that if you feel your friend is abusing drugs or alcohol, you may try talking to her about alternate help. Bare in mind addicts wont accept help until they have reached the breaking point, as with my sister. You cannot force convince someone they need help unless they realize it themselves first. Our situation was that we were aware of the problem but un able to do anything about it where there is a law here in my state against "blue papering" someone into detox centers. I have researched drug addiction for 2 weeks and have come to see it  is more serious than we may assume, it causes kidney, liver, pancreatic, and mental disabilities if not treated. My sister has pain everyday from what they call " pill indiced arthritis" she is 27 yrs. old. Try to talk to your friend but remember that addicts need to accept they have a problem before they accept your advice or input.. Hang in there......:)
Carol--
The combination of Hepatits C with Vicodin and alcohol is particularly dangerous.  The Tylenol and the alcohol are liver killers anyway.  When you factor in the Hep C, you are really asking for trouble.  If I were in your position, I would find a doctor who is non-judgemental as opposed to one of those idiots who think addiction is "naughty."  Discuss with this professional the possibility of tapering off which shouldn't be too difficult with help.  You are on a relatively low dose, but it isn't low to your system.  The psychological part may prove to be more difficult for you, so you may want to find some support from friends, family, or online.  Also, try to find something to replace your ritual--meditation, music, hot tea, etc.--something to help you relax in place of the substances.   I have only my personal experiences with addiction to share, and I hope this helps.

Karen
I know how all of you feel with A vicodan addiction! I have chronic pain and I havent found away to make the pain go away! I take 8 to 10 vicodan hp's aday! for about 4 years now! I am so addicted it's not even funny, my doctors wont write anymore scripts! they got my this way and wont do anything to help me stop taking them, I have spoken to my wonderful doctor and he said you have to do it on your own! so I knew a guy that worked in a pharmacy and would help my fix! but he no longer works there and I have about a day of pills left, so I guess its time for the DT's, I do want to stop taking them, but I am in a position where I cant let anyone know! I work for a large state agency and they know everything! I will lose my job! I cant let that happen, I am taking care of my mom after my father passed away! what should I do? and Please wish me luck!
my husband has a drug problem hes been relapsen overe and over well his back went out the dct gave him valium vicadin he say he not taking them his behavior is weird addiction sucks  tina
I know about addiction.I was addicted to pain pills and nerve pills for 20 yrs.I had been to 7 treatment centers.I was taking 20 loro-cet and 20 Xanax a day.I have been clean for 3 yrs.I can only tell you what it took for me.The last time I went to treatment it was for me and no one else like the times before.I went to get my family off my back.Only when I decided I wanted to really get serious and quit did I stop.My higher power who I call God was right there to help me.I went to AA and Na 3 times a day for 3 Mo.and after that I went 2 times a week for 2 yrs.Now I have as job and have had for 2 yrs.The ironey is I work for as a receptionest for a hospital where most of the Dr.I used to get my pills.HOW WONDERFUL I can be on the other side of the coin.Thank God I live a good life today.CLEAN AND SERENE.
Your all a bunch of *******. U talk about how u talk 10 vicodan a day, by the way half of u are lying and spelled it wrong i take about 10 at a time to get high still ur all weak!
i need help i cant get off the painkillers i snort any thing i can get my hands on but start geting mad and pissed when i cant have a pill. when i try not to take any i cant sleep and my girl thinks im crazy what is the best way to ween myself of the pills .... it's only been 1 year . but this really sucks i want to stop but i love the feelling. please give me some ideas please

jesse...
Hey thejones-

I am almost through the tapering and I found 2 things that I could not have done without.  I have tapered in about 2 weeks completely.  Those 2 things:  Hylands Restful Legs, and a heating pad.  The resful legs make the real pain I take the pills for feel a little better, and when I start getting chills it really helps with those too.  It also helps any areas that cramp or feel painful so that you will take another pill.  Your body will do anything to get you to take a pill, even create psuedopain to make you think you NEED the pill.  The Hylands restful legs for that terrible RLS, those creepy crawlies in your legs while you are trying to rest - it is a miracle for that.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.  Good luck!
hay oxy thank's you naild it right on the head when i try to sleep my legs twich and jerk . drives my lady crazy i told her what you sead and she is going to grab me some... can i just by that stuff at my local market ....oxy how long has it been for u and does it get easer . i wish you all the luck in the world.... if your going thrue what im going thure .then any thing will help.........thank you i will try it
I got mine at Walgreens.  I would imagine you could get it anywhere but you might have more luck at some kind of drug store.  As soon as I feel those twitches starting I disolve 3 under my tounge and in about 15 minutes it is gone!  

I have been on Norcos for about 3 years, varying between 8-10 per day to down to about 3 in the last few months.  The Oxy I have been on for about 5 months.  I take them for legit pain but last month I increased my oxy on my own.  So it was getting to a point....  like it always does and will.  I am now pregnant which is why I have to get off the pills otherwise I wouldn't be here.  I have talked to my dr. and they cleared me to take the meds while pregnant, but I can't risk the baby being born addicted. I have not followed a regular taper plan but have gone down a half a pill per day.  I am totally off the norcos (which are the 10mg vicodin) and down today to 1 oxy.  Tomorrow will be half, and the next day nothing.  That's the plan.  I have been listening to my body and I have been able to decrease quickly with some, but not too much, discomfort.

Good luck to you!
thanks your a sweethart. im just glad someone will talk to me about the stuff. let me no how your doing... just talking to you has helped my so thanks ...........
***@****
My boyfriend has quite a history....he used to be quite the pill popper and he would take anything else he could get his hands on. I have never dealt with any type of addiction so i don't know what i am looking for. Lately his kidneys have starting hurting him again and he has been passing kidney stones at least twice a month for the past couple of months. When he starts hurting, his first solution is to get some pills off the street...oxycontin, perkiset, vicodin, anything to help the pain. It has gotten to where he needs the pills to kill the pain every week. When he starts hurting he also tends to have cold sweats with out the medication. Are these signs of addiction? Or what would you think?

Please excuse any misspellings!

Kate
i od and now no more pain meds or my xanax to help me sleep and i am still having jerking feeling and neck and back pain at times is crazy any suggestions regular tynenol even pm doesn't help real well i as well jerk and am very restless been almost 2 weeks since i had any oxycotion and xanax . will this feeling go away soon.?
try hylands restful legs it will help you with the jerking filling your geting when you go to bed and as for not sleeping join the club i havent slept for at least 2 months but that hylands will help so try it you can get it at wallmart or walgreens.good luck                      

the jones
thay sound like signs of addiction to me thats the same stuff i go thure
Hey, I can really relate to your problem. I am in the same boat. Its like you will do anything to get the drugs. My mother takes vicodin too, but takes them responsibly and was helping me get my fix for a while, and recently I just ran out of pills and don't know what to do. This morning was my first morning waking up with withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms right before leaving for work. I have a good job also, that I am sooo worried about losing, but I am starting to come to senses with myself and realize that my life is more important. It isn't healthy to get off of these yourself. You are going to learn that you can't do it alone. You will need the help. If you have any vacation or sick days from work, TAKE THEM. Be discreet. I have researched and learned that the WD process usually only lasts about 7 to 10 days... But you should see a doctor to help you get off of these, or go to an outpatient clinic so you don't embarrass yourself at your job. That is exactly what I am worried about too. If you want to write back, we can try to help each other out. I need all the help I can get also. Also, I have read from all of the helpful people on this website that the Thomas Recipe helps, I haven't tried it myself, but its something you might want to research. Keep in touch. Best of luck to you.
Oxy, I don't know you or anything but I know that it must be hard getting off of those pills and I am sure that being pregnant doesn't help. I just wanted to say way to go getting off of those evil things. Please let everyone know how you are doing! Oh and Trevor, you are a jerk.. this website is for people who have real problems.. not jerks like you trying to get a laugh.
I would like to know if you know any over the counter meds that would help me detox.  I already have some valium i can take and some Hylands.. but wasnt there something else you could take?? Please advise. Thanks!
try suboxins for detox thay work great thay help with the wd's and give you a great energy boost good luck and stick whit it
It may help
Has anyone heard of developing breathing problems, or heart problems, from taking these things for years?  
oh, yea, an inversion table will take care of that restless leg problem in about two seconds if you can go far enough to really pull those leg muscles.
Hi there, I have been addicted to oxycodone for 4 years. I have been taking anywhere from 240- 340 a month. Anywhere from10-20 a day. I am 24 and am ready to start a family, and grow up!! I am a med student, and am ready to face the facts, I have a wonderful doctor who has really helped me, and I know this will help you ! To tapper off, the right way, tell your doctor the truth! This is hard ! Because you know you love the pills, and dont want to lose that great feeling, but.... it;s worth it, once your completely off, you'll remember it doesnt take pills to get that great feeling back- this feeling in naturaly your happy hie-Okay, if you are taking 15 pills aday ( or if you dont know, figure it out) Start tappering off 1 pill every 5 days, if this becomes really hard, take with your doctor and tell them your body is going through withdraws and you want to do this right, he/she should give you some ativan, so your body doesnt go into shock- once you havr tappered off mostly, and your only taking 2-3 aday, go weekly, instead of every 5 days goto every 7...this is a long process, but you can do it! Please E-mail me if you need help. I am there for those who really want to get off of these pills. Thanks
Stephenie
***@****
HOW LONG WILL I FEEL SICK IT HAS BEEN TWO WEEK OFF 200ML OF MS CONTIN
My mother finally admitted she had a problem with pain pills, even thought most of us knew this already. My aunt has taken her to an inpatient treatment facility and i pray this helps her. If anyone has advice on what i can do to help her i would love to hear.
I Have been addicted to pain pills for over a year now. I will take anything I can get my hands on. I love oxycottin..and I usually dont like taking viciodin,hydrocdone, etc. because I have to take at least 8 of them to feel anything at all. but i will still buy that stuff if that is all I can find. I spend up to $250 for two weeks on pain pills. Sometimes its even more. I dont want to have this addiction any more. However, everyone is scaring me when they say stuff like o you are going to fell bored for like 6months and all this other stuff. I dont know what to do, all i know is that i dont want to harm myself any longer. has anbody heard of sobaxin? supposably it is to help you get off pain pills but is it addictive?
I can't believe you would discard carol's cry for help.  Vicodin is a very awful addiction to break and to suggest it's a laughable subject is just a horrible horrible thing to do.  I started w/ one or to vicodin a day and now it's much worse than that and has been going on for about 8 years and the hold it has had on my life and the hell i'm going through to get it back is close to unbearable.  So carol stop now while the withdrawls won't be as severe.  If you feel you don't have it in you I would seek out a facility to help you.  Addiction is much more than just the drug often times there is more going on and whatever you have to do to stop using this to numb yourself do it.  that is why I began abusing and now I just wish I could feel what I used to
I honostly am saying now that what i will say is the truth no matter how many people i tell it they dont believe and i dont care because i need help. For the past 7 years i pretty much did everything but for the last 4 years ive been deep into painkillers first vicodin which i have to say to the person who took 5 a day... 5 pills 750ml  was just one dose for me at the time. I would bite them in half and crush them down like they were candy. Recently my drug of choice is Darvocet. I have been taking 4 pills a time 3 or 4 times a day, this is day 2 without any pills accept tyllenol which isnt helping at all and im suffering terribaly. i stopped because i got into a little trouble and i cant turn to anyone for help, so if anyone knows what i can do short of going to rehab please reply!
I am currently coming off the sobaxin right now, or trying really hard. I was prescribed oxy for over a year then the doc wanted to try a new drug called Lyrica. I dont think the pain clinic here knows what they are doing because I received no relief from this drug. Well I stareted buying O.C.'s from a "friend", then started snorting, then subbed with smack to get by. When I met my wife I tried to hide it but I was soon a mess. I tried to quit with the help of some morphine, but I lasted two days and couldnt take it, not even feeling the morphine. Then I found sobaxin thru my wifes' uncle, and it saved me life and marriage. The only problem now is coming off the sub's. I thought you arent supposed to have withdrawls off the sub's?!?! Well, I do,  bad ones. Its feels like my body is shutting down, cold one minute, sweating the next, every joint in my body hurts, throwing up stomach bile, very very weak. Does anyone have any ideas to make this transition a little easier, because I went out and bought another 3 sub's today. I dont expect it to be easy, but this is my last hurdle, to be able to not have to be chemically dependent and finally enjoy my wife and kids without a drug schedule ruling my existense. Thanks for any advice in advance.
MY BEST FRIEND OF 25 YEARS HAS BEEN TAKEN PAIN PILLS FOR 3 YEARS NOW. I DONT KNOW HOW MANY SHE TAKES. THE DOCTOR GIVES HER 160 A MONTH BUT BY THE MIDDLE OF THE MONTH SHE IS OUT. THE PAIN PILLS ARE RUNNING HER. SHE IS NOT THE SAME GIRL I ONCE KNEW. WHEN THE PILLS WASN'T DOING IT FOR HER ANYMORE SHE WENT TO OTHER DRUGS. THAT GOT HER KIDS TAKEN AWAY FROM HER AND SHE ALSO GOT HEP C. I KNOW HEP C WILL CAUSE LIVER PROBLEMS FOR HER. SHE IS NOT GETTING ANY TREATMENT FOR THE HEP C. IM SO AFRAID FOR HER. SHE IS OFF THE HARD DRUGS NOW BUT STILL TAKES THE PILLS. SHE DON'T FEEL SHE NEEDS HELP WITH HER PILL PROBLEM. I HAVE TALKED AND TALKED TO HER UNTIL I'M BLUE IN THE FACE. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. I LOVE HER AND WANT HER TO BE IN THE LIFE FOR MANY MORE YEARS TO COME. THE PATH SHE IS ON THOUGH IS NOT GOOD. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE HER....
This is a really old post. You will get a lot more feedback if you post this under your own question. I am sorry to hear about your friend, most of us were in denial during active use and you can talk all you want, but most times we won't quit until we are ready. You could always try an intervention for her. Has she ever got treatment for drug addiction?
no she has not. no one can get her to go
ive been taking many pain killers a day, and hooting them . its been about three weeks that i cant go a day without it . mostly percocet . i just want to know if anyone knows if this is affecting my menstrual cylce. i havent had a real period in months . should i be worried ? or talk to someone about it ? i just dont know how to tell a doctor im addicted to pain killers  .
I just recently got into an argument and my relationship has discontinued due to an argument about oxcycontin. My "ex" has became an addict and continues to go out of his way to find & purchase them. Hes currently employed but resides with a grandmother. The only purchases I've ever witnessed him doing with his paycheck were 30's and stronger and gasoline to go get them. He borrows money from his friends and family and purchases pills with those favors. He owes many close friends money and continues running out of his finances to get a buzz.
His addiction is a HUGE concern with me. I've known this individual for 4 years or so and I've seen sooo many negative changes in him. Being a little bit younger than me..I've always felt the need to "look after him". I've grown to love him over the years and more than I ever have for anyone else.
When mentioning his addiction is a concern/worry to me...he gets easily upset and defensive. He's even asked me to get him pills to help him through his withdrawals. I almost feel like I need to..to keep him unsick and happy. I grew tired of it and we shared one last heartless argument about it. His stepfather recently passed away and its only going to become worse and continue down hill. Even though we may not be together and he "hates" me..I don't want to give up on the person I once knew. Please...someone give me the best advice to go about this situation. Without him slashing me with hurtful words or disregarding his addiction.
can i tell a doctor im addicted to hydrocoden and not get in trouble with the cops?
I'm so strung out for about a year now I hav ben taking hydrocodone roxy oxy realy anything I can get my hands on I'm up to 4 tens hydro or a 30 roxy at a time 3 or 4 timea a day at first I jst wanted to get high then I jst wanted to get threw the day now I can't handle withdraws iv given myself every excuse in the book I hear there is a med you can take to make you handle the withdraws and will make you sick if you ever take pain pill again is there wat is it
hey people.. I'm addicted to painkillers.. I take 30 mg. "roxies" street name, i was taking 4 a day , weened myself to 1 a day... now I'm going through my 12 steps of recovery. Anyone out there who believes in a higher power.. it's okay to reach out for help! so many people suffer from addiction THIS DISEASE. some people start off taking FOUR vicodin... HEY! i started stealing my fathers vicodin when i was 17 years old, I'm 22 now and still abusing pain meds. only i got my hands on the stronger stuff.... it's no joke! if you feel like you can't kick the habbit alone, seak help... don't wait around for it... you have to WANT IT and go get it. i lost my uncle to substance abuse last November.. he was in his early 30s, my brother is also a substance abuser.. my mother thinks its okay to drink a 6 pack before bed 3 times a week.. do you see the pattern?.. it is a disease-that is hereditary. It's okay to reach out to another person, try to seak a person who is in recovery and understands. Before you get your sobriety back, people WILL judge you. So try to take it to a person who went through it, and recovered.
my dad was addicted to pain pills for 5 years. i watched him go to rehab over and over. he overdosed so many times because of prescription drugs. he took his whole check and bought pills. he finally overdosed and died. now me and my mom are cleaning up the mess. we have a lien on our house because of his debt. he borrowed money from banks, check into cash places.when everyone thinks about their high they have to have think about how your familiy feels for once. i think its selfish and its not a disease. its a choice. lupus, arthritis, diabetes, heart problems,are all diseases, taking pills and getting addicted is not. we have been through hell and i've changed my whole life because of someones else's selfish deed.
if you get this, i left you a message. please read it. i'm sorry to hear what you've been through.
Umm where do I start who do I call ??? How long will it take  I have a job and 3 kids  to take care of ??/
Go back to the home page and post this as a question . This thread is 12 years old and I just noticed you posted on it.  Please trust me and post it as your question and the responses and support will be overwhelming!  Also, share some specifics as to what you take, how long etc