Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
after 3 yrs of heavy opiate use, how long does WD syptoms(symptoms) las...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

after 3 yrs of heavy opiate use, how long does WD syptoms(symptoms) last?

I have been taking Hydro 10/650 for 3 yrs, gradually built up to an obscene amount daily. I did some research online and opted not to use Suboxone, quit cold turkey. I fessed up to my wife, curled up in a ball to ride the storm out. I am now on day 5 and have been through some wierd things. Taste and smell was off for couple of days. I also, on day 2 went to family Dr. (that delivered our children 16 and 20 yrs ago) and told him, absolutely humiliating but he gave me Clonidine. My question is, how long before my arms and legs feel normal again.
This forum and others have helped me through some long days and nights lately. I have been watching from the outside. Thank everyone that has contributed, it has been inspiring.  I know the physical WD is the easy part, so I decided to see if I could join the group for strength. Thanks again to all.
Many people here have taken the Hylands (thats the brand name) and gotten relief.  Being honest and holding ourselves accountable is necessary in our recovery.  I am really happy that you have done this!!!   We are very lucky to still be alive and our bodies are very forgiving......Be good to yourself.       sara
Hi and welcome to the forum!!  Congrats on day 5!!  You should be thru the worst of this by now.  Are you taking any supplements?  That really helps.  There is a supplement you can take for RLS...Hylands is what it is called.  Am happy to hear you came clean to your wife and doctor.  That is a huge load off your shoulders.  Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and try and get up and move around as much as you can.  We have to get those endorphins working again.  Keep posting as we are here to support you~~~~sara
Thanks for reply. It was a load off to get it out in open. Lucky to be alive. I have been drinking Gatorade and water. I am taking multi Vitamin, but will look into supplements for Hylands. Thanks for such a quick reply. I got out yesterday and mowed grass and went to a high school football game. I have to admit that I did sleep better and longer last night as a result. Thanks again.
Hi!   Yes,get some Hylands Restfull Legs@Walgreens for the RLS. Also,I've read that if you take cold tablets containing DMX it relieves RLS quite a bit! Many doctors are using it for their patients. The clonidine really works,as well!

Keep posting. There's a lot of support here!
Vicki
Thanks to both answers. I will get some and try it. Any idea how long it will be before my brain receptors will clear enough to heal RLS naturally? or is that dependent on amount of excercise and activity? I own the fact that I did this to my self, and am shocked that it wasn't worse (WD symptoms) as I was taking as many as 30 per day. I believe I will be leaning on you both. But I will keep you updated as well and hopefully that will help others. I know it helped me to read about others. I had a hard time believing how widespread this is. Thank you.
Exercise helps this go away alot faster but it can hang on for a bit.  I would think it would be better in a week or so but the more you get up and move the less you will notice it.  Painpill addiction is the biggest addiction problem in the world right now.....so so sad.  You just lean away......we know and understand what you are going thru.       sara
It takes a little while for our brains to get back to baseline but it WILL happen! I promise.

Yes,exercise is the #1 cure. Also,vitamins help. But,it's mostly time...

As Sara said,our brains are very forgiving. Sara has years of clean time so she knows the drill!

It's great that you've told your wife and doctor about this...good for you!

V.
God Bless you. I can see how much you participate. It certainly made me feel better to have someone answering my question. Have a great weekend. I am in SE TX and we finally got a cool front, 75 degrees, but that is cool compared to 95 degrees. Thanks again.
Cool here in Minnesota and i am loving it!!  Stay true to yourself and do whatever it takes to protect your clean time.  We are always here so keep us posted on how you are doing~~sara
Hi!  You have gotten great advice from some smart ladies.  Exercise helps a lot of the symptoms that linger for a while longer.  Fatigue, depression, anxiety, insomnia, RLS are among the ones that drag on a little longer for some people.  (ME included!!!)  And, believe it or not, exercise can make all of those things better if you can make yourself do it.

Also, at Wal Mart they have a supplement called Mag/Cal/Zinc.  It is not expensive, and it really helps the RLS.  I took 1000mg, twice a day.  It helps a lot!  Hyland's Restful Legs is homeopathic and won't hurt you at all.  They make a leg cramp formula too, and I took that.  I had leg cramps so bad I thought it would never go away.  The hylands is GREAT for that!!!

Good luck!  Don't forget to get some support and aftercare so you never have to do this again!!!! : )  I'm cheering for you!
Just wanted to chime in and pat you on the back for starting the journey.  I have a lot of respect for your decision to CT and not go the Sub route...it will definitely make it easier in the end.  Your are on the right path, I would just suggest you continue to exercise and experience life's opportunities like the HS football game.....we are football crazy here in GA as well and I find a lot of comfort in being out in the night air with screaming fans.

and to pillfree21 as well, Thank you both for chiming in. I would say you have no idea how good it feels to get words of encouragement, but I know that everyone on this forum does. Thanks just the same. I did go walk today, it sucked at first, but I was glad after it was over. Did feel better. Thanks for taking time to offer support, I really appreciate it.  I have seen that dominosarah and vicki595 are very informed and active, even during a Holiday weekend. I am going to help as well, once I get my arms around this beast. I am all in, no looking back. Thanks again. 30 mins to day 6. lol
Well, you sure got a lot of helpful posts. I have been sitting here reading some of the replies you received as well as some older posts so I thought I would register, since I'M ON DAY 16 MYSELF! and I also need all the help I can get after 4 years of dependence on 10/325's. Just to let you know and give you some hope, I am sitting here this evening feeling quite fine, very relaxed and at peace. I am taking calcium and magnesium, which was suggested to me by someone in the recovery business.  I think it is helping. Still have a bit of fatigue during portions of the last few days, but my evenings are all good. I take it the day fatigue is temporary and I will get more energy as the days pass. That's what I am hoping for.  And I'm older too so ... Good luck to you and to us all.
Welcome to the forum!!  Congrats on 16 days!!  I am glad you found us~~~~~~sara
I opted suboxone, I feel great. I couldn't do the withdrawls and the wait to get energy back. I am feeling  good and I think I chose the right way for me.  I wish lots of luck and stick in there you can do it.
i want to congratulate u for being so brave. i feel like i am weak and would end up in the er if i did it straight ct.
Thank you some much for taking time to share, sounds like our situations are
similar. Today is day six and I got up early and walked briskly for 30 mins. About to go fire up the tractor and mow for a couple of hours as the weather is finally cooling down in TX. It is very encouraging to hear that in another week my legs and arms might begin to feel normal again (or better at least) Do you remember how long ? or did you even have that problem?  This forum has been the biggest help to me during this time. You are correct, I have gotten some really great advice here. Thanks again

Congrats on your clean time.. I am so Happy and Proud for you.
Congrats on 6 days!!  Way to go on getting out and walking!!  The more you do this the quicker those arms and legs will feel better.  I would think within the next few days they should be feeling better.  Have fun mowing!!   Keep us posted on how you are doing.      sara
Thank you for your post. I don't think it matters how you do it, as long as you do it (safely) I am relaitvely healthy (not sure how that happened after the way I abused my self) so I knew I could handle CT. I have seen alot of people use Suboxan successfully. Congrats on quitting, that is main thing, recognizing the problem. Thank you again, best of luck, and reach out if I can help ever. Thanks
Thanks. I am still going to get Hylands today. We live out away from town so I didn't make it yesterday. Thanks for all you do. Everyone appreciates it. Looking forward to day 7, but going to try and be productive on day 6. God Bless All
My son marches in band in college, he got to go to TX A&M last night and march in front of the biggest crowd in history 80k people. They are smaller school and got beat but it was an experience for him. He was pysched, soph. Thanks again.
What is going on?
sarah, whoa is having a laugh, maybe ?
I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there for you about the RLS stuff.  I am 27 days off of Tramadol, a little different than what you were taking but WDs are about the same.  Around day 10 the RLS start really easing up for me.  It would still pop up a couple times a day with night time being the worse but like others have said I found some relief with Hylands also.  Now at 27 days I may have had some restlessness in my legs a couple of times in the past week.  So there is an end in sight ;o)  Oh and btw I live in NE Tx myself and this cooler weather has been heaven!!  Especially after the brutally hot August we just had.  Hang in there because you are heading for a big upswing as far as the WDs and are going to be feeling so much better.  Take care and keep posting.  Blessings, Lisa
hey guys this is my 9th day clean of herion 4th day of the suboxone. just got done fishing and then hiked up hill home a mile and feel great although the restless legs i still feel and i cant sleep at all ***** but i know when its all said and done liffe will be so much better please write back ive been reading everyones comments and it seems to help me let me kno im not alone
Ive just had my hand slapped twice now im depressed. maybe we should all accept the fact that we will never be free from this.
you should never accept that fact, whoa :) ... never give up fighting your addiction, you can be free of the active addiction if you work on your recovery, fight !
whoa, check your inbox again please :)
Thank you for taking the time to contribute, I look forward to and appreciate every post. It is good to hear that I am soon out of the woods with WD part. Then to the real test of staying clean. I certainly won't take it for granted ever. I have already had my Dr. to tag medical records that I cant take opiates. My son goes to school at SFA which is a couple of hours North of where I live. Thanks again for your input.
I am working on long term plan/structure to never relapse.
CONGRATS on 27 Days, that is HUGE!!! Keep it up. Stay in touch. Andrew
how do u get suboxone and is it expensive tx
I feel kind of guilty right now Ive been popping lortab all day long and everyone in wd seem so brave and strong to me but i know i cant do it without help ie methadone or suboxone
you have to Google Doctors in your area. Not all Doctors can prescribe them. They are expensive, but not anymore than a typical habit. Plus you can do a very short regimen to get you thru WD. I wouldn't do it long term, it is prolonging the agony. The only reason I didn't quit 6 months or even a yr ago was fear of WD. When you get ready, really ready to quit, it is just a matter of which option. I got committed. Good Luck.
If you have insurance, I think they would cover.
what is expensive 100 or 200  do they make u high or just no wd
Dont do methadone as an exit strategy. If I have learned anything from this forum it is Meth takes 10 times longer to detox. Dont go there.

You can stop CT, it is 2-3 days of misery then better from there. I am on day six, doing OK
Well, the thing is, you cant take them until you have opiates out of system for 24-48 hrs or they will make you sick. (I believe that I am right about that) you could easily verify on the forum. I think they are $400-500 per mnth and they will completely stop cravings, but won't get you high at all. My point is, after 48 hrs, why do it? another 24 hrs and you are feeling better anyway. Just hole up somewhere and get some one to take care of you for a couple of days (if you are in good health) if it is only opiates and not benz. Benz and Xanax have to be tapered or could cause siezures.
Iam on both lortab and xanax. iam going through menopause and the xanax prevents panic attacks i was having. also on estrogen. for all you young women out there heads up menopause is hell.
LOL. So are you going to commit? Quit?
Today is day 7!!!! It is getting better by the day. I got up early this morning and walked for full 30 minutes. Yesterday I went to church (the walls didn't fall) that I was raised in (Over the years I have always visited several times to pacify my wife) The preacher spoke directly to me. His message was "You are being tried by fire, the hardest thing you have ever been through, BUT SOMETHING GOOD IS GOING TO COME OF IT. I know that he was speaking to others as well, but when he got through, I went down to the front and layed it on the alter. Everyone in the church (most of which watched me grow up and have no clue that I am an addict as I have always been in upper management) came down and prayed with me. I had a break through. I broke down and asked God for forgiveness. I felt sooo good afterwards. I am even giving up my tobacco habit. I quit smoking 6-7 years ago but have always held on to skoal. Well I figure if you are going to clean up, why not go all the way. I am addressing this to you two ladies because you were first responders for me, and I will always appreciate it. I continue to broaden my support group (accountability) and everything I do throughout the day, I am trying to tweak it slowly so that all my habits are different going forward.
I forgot to say when I was walking this morning, I could smell the sweet smells of fresh cut grass and hear the various insects at work etc. What a beautiful world without Drugs. Sorry so long, but I wanted to share the good stuff happening in my life,, and to Thank You both again. Have a great Labor day.
I am protecting my clean time. Andrew
Andrew~   Yes!!  You are discovering what's on the other side...and it's so much better.
I'm proud of you!  Nothing about this is easy and you will be tested in the future. Just stay on this path...you'll be fine. Seek out support for yourself.   Every single day gets easier and more beautiful...
Thanks for writing...
xo
Very inspiring! I am almost to the start of day 17 for myself! Usually, that would motivate someone with less clean time but you actually motivated me!
Andrew......Welcome back to the world of living!!!  I am really proud of you.  This was so nice to read this morning.  I took the night off last night for some "regrouping" time for me and this was the first post i read!!  Keep it going!!          sara
If it helps one person it is worth writing. Congrats on day 17. Keep it up and reach ouy any time. Thanks for posting.
I had my first real test today. I am on Day 8 of being clean. I was cleaning and organizing the house and out rolls a  Lorcet 10/650, my Doc. I picked it up looked at it and was able to go flush it before dwelling on it too long. I looked the devil in the eye today, I am calling victory on day 8. Had to share.  God Bless All
Oh yeah.....you have that pill the smack down!!!!!!!  Way to go....
90 days. For anything.  That's how long it takes.  

You may have a good week, but it will creep back up on you here and there.  
Way to go on the flushing!!!
WTG Andrew!!!!!!  For making it to Day 8 AND for the big flush!!  You so do deserve a pat on the back!  :::pat pat:::  Keep up the wonderful work and keep posting and updating.  The people here are wonderful and of course will encourage you and lend an ear when needed.    Blessings, Lisa
I wish I was as brave as you still keeping it from husband but he does know I like drugs not to what extent

I am on day 11 and after reading all your posts I am going out, not to get drugs as I wanted to do this am but maybe ride my horse who after 3 years of me on drugs didn't trust me but these past, 11 days, sounds crazy but we have bonded, Animals seem to know sometimes.  she is only five but smarter then this 55 year old lady  

will muddle thru today to all have a good day

wendy
Thats great, your not going to believe this. I havent really messed with my horse in a couple of years (but kept him) I was out fooling with Buddy this morning thinking, I will start riding again myself. I am very passionate about horses, and still have mine. We have bonded in the last week as well. IThat is a great outlet, and great source of exercise as well. Have a great day. Thanks for post. Andrew
DAY 10 clean.  Other than a bunch of vitamins and supplements I haven't taken any meds. I am also on day 2 of Tobacco free.  I am feeling pretty good after my 30 min walk this morning. Thank you all.
BTW, I am not a prophet or anything, but I am calling Saints over the Vikings tonight (sorry dominosarah) So happy it is NFL time.
Congrats on 10 days!!  Good for you on continuing your walking.  Now that you have quit smoking really keep yourself busy.  Good job on that too!!

I picked N.O. too but watch #69....that's my boy!!!  I will be perched in front of the tv with my jersey on!!
Me too, I have been NO fan for ever, it was so good for them to finally win out last year. I like Farve and to the Vikings too, they almost cost us the championship last year.  I appreciate all your input. You have helped me alot, you and Vicki595. I am also going to see my son inducted into the National Society of Collegiate Scholars tomorrow, Saturday going to their 1st home game SFA SU Lumberjacks. Life is good, I hve enjoying laughing and quit being so negative. It is truelly a second go. Thanks
Hi Fassfeat! So glad you are coming along so great, me too. And I quit smoking as well, so, good for us! I had a rough day two days ago - I still don't know what the HELL that was, but whatever. But today by far has been the BEST day, the best morning I have had so far.  Glad you're doing so good.
As long as we keep talking to each other and helping ea other, we are going to win this battle. Congrats on a better day. Your friend, Andrew
I had to bump this one up as Fassfeat is 1 yr clean today!  Look how far he has come!
Wow, I just read this whole thing again. So grateful to have been given a second chance at life. So worth the initial pain... no question. Andrew
Oh my thank u for posting.   I needed this today.....today has been tough....and having a brother that can lay his hands on anything u may need or want ain't good....so I must stay strong for him...thanks again.... Congrats also....
♪ Memories...♪...    What I first just loved about you,Andrew,was how you jumped right in to help the others and you felt sooo rotten!!!    A humble hero...
I have been taking hydromorphone (dilaudid) and hydromorphone contin (slow release) for 3 years.

I was wondering if anyone one would know what would be considered heavy use? I'm trying to decide how to get off of the meds and I'm not sure what category I would fall in. I have heard that subuxone is not good for heavy opiate use, but I'm not sure if that applies to my levels.

I take 100mg dilaudid/day and 60mg of hydromorphone contin/day.

Any suggestions? Methadone, suboxone, cold turkey? I went cold turkey years ago off of oxycontins, but I don't think I could do that again.

Identguy