Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
alcoholic

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

alcoholic

I'm a 23-year-old alcoholic who has been abusing alcohol, on average, by drinking about a liter of alcohol every 3 days since I was 18 or 19 or so.  I've quite a few times and have gotten into programs in the past.  I'm going to meetings now and haven't had a drink in a week.  But I'm wondering after the damage I may have already done to my liver.  I know that drinking can cause scar tissue to form and leave the abuser with cirrhosis.  I also know that the liver regenerates to a certain extent.  I guess I'm worried that i have the liver function now, after so much abuse, of a 70-year-old man.  What hope do I have of reclaiming my health and my liver regenerating?  How much damage, according to studies, could one estimate that I've already done to my liver and body?
Avatar n tn
(I am the same poster as above).  I forgot to mention that I'm under 5' and weight about 104 pounds.
good for you , i am glad to hear you have a week sober . I think the meetings will really help. You are more then welcome to post on this board but just so you know there is an alcoholism board as well. I dont know alot about the liver problem but i know you can have a doctor run some blood work that would help you figure out what condition your liver is in. Keep going to the meetings .......
avis
Your so young that you have every chance of living a normal life. If you want to know about your liver functions go to a M.D. and they will do a blood test that will tell you. I would go to the alcoholism forum, that may help more.

Dove
I used to drink quite a bit when I was younger.  I drank heavily for about 5 years going through an 18 pack of beer a night and a pint of whiskey on the weekends.  I quit drinking about 6 years ago and the last liver tests I had done came back clean.  You're lucky that you are stopping this at an early age.  I know too many that didn't and caused irreversible damage.  Avis is right; keep going to meetings and never turn back.  Go have blood panels run and explain to the doctor exactly what you would like to know.  Love and Strength to you!