Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
ambien and alcohol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

ambien and alcohol

Can someone pls give an honest response to this query.  doctors say one thing; warning labels another.  Is the only risk with taking say half an ambien tab (5 mg) after having a glass of wine, increased drowsiness? I read some reviews that say taking ambien with alcohol can be fatal; would this be for large doses or volumes of alcohol?
I think the latter is closer to the truth. Both are depressants, and with copious amounts of both, you risk respiratory complications. However, I often take ambien after having a glass of wine with dinner. Just keep it under control
I have told people over and over about my experiences with ambien (sleep driving, sleep eating, and hair loss).  It made me lose all grips on reality.  It also destroyed me physicall and mentally.  I wished I would have never heard of the c r a p.  I have been clean from it for 6 months and I hope I never experience anything like it again.  It was my fault because I wasn't taking it as prescribed.  Whatever you do, only take one at bedtime.  If you wake up during te night, DONOT take another one.  

Don't know about the alcohol part.  Never drank before.  I think that is so strange.  I have never drank or smoked, but boy those pills.....

Good Luck
No, you're in no danger with that low a dose of Ambien and a glass or 2 of wine. Actually, it's like 2 glasses instead of 1, or 4 instead of 2. I wouldn't go too far, though, because in LARGE Doses, it could be dangerous, even fatal By Large, I mean like 6 pills and 6 glasses of wine. So, whatever works for you. Consider tolerance, body weight, etc.
I know what you're saying. I quit drinking and smoking cigarettes about 15 years ago. I spent about 25 years Bartending, and saw enough of what people do when drunk. It is the worst drug ever (alcohol). Pills, YEAH! I know all about all kinds of pills that give all kinds of thrills, and now look, I'm an Oxycontin Addict. I get Valium, but rarely, if ever take one. Trazadone, in my opinion, is the best sleep aid out there. It's an antidepressent, but in 150mg. and up. Less than that, say 50mg. or 100mg. make one hell of a sleeping pill. No hangover and great sleep. Easy to get an Rx, too. If you have problems with sleep, try TRAZADONE. It's cheap, and it's been on the market forever. Safe and reliable.