Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
ambien

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

ambien

I have been taking ambien for severe insomnia for about 5 years. I have never needed more than one pill a night.  I have never taken more than prescribed but I cannot fall asleep without one pill.  I am now pregnant, and i am cutting the pill in half.  It is still working for me and I can get a few hours of sleep but IM still concerned that I am addicted to this.
yeah...generally it isn't recommended to be used more than 14 days for this reason. it becomes very difficult to sleep without it. you probably want to talk with your doctor about w/d from it. they do make 5mg tabs so maybe a taper using those would work....5mg, then 2.5...then off...but you need to ask your doc what they think. if you do it cold turkey, you'll probably be up for 3 or 4 days or more even though you're taking it at the recommended dose.
Thank you, I actually do have 5mg and I cut those in half already!  So i am on the lowest dose right now.  My dr knew about my habit last year and told me that ambien during pregnancy was ok as long as i was not taking a lot.  But i have a new dr this year and I am going to have to tell them.  UGH
so are you already down to 2.5mg? it's really not fun to take the final leap...you usually end up with really wierd dreams....mine get REALLY wierd....and sometimes it feels like you're awake but you're really not and so you have a really wierd dream but can't tell you're actually asleep...

well, hopefully you don't go through that. have you made it through a night at all without it?
no i havent slept without it in years and if i try i get terrible head aches and i feel very weird the next day.  I am really wondering how bad this is, because it is such a low dose.  Im going to ask the dr tomorrow....I have researched and studied about ambien in pregnancy and there are no studies that it harms a baby at this low of a dose.  If i was not pregnant, I would not even be questioning the drug because the one pill has always been enough for me and i dont have an issue with taking it forever if I have to.
omg I have been on ambien for two years for severe insomnia, I am 7 weeks pregnant and trying to get off of this has been so hard to do. I did good for a few nights but that about it. I never take more than one pill a night n it seems to give me at least a few hours. Without it i prolly wont ever sleep. Im so nervous for my baby. Ambien in prescribed regulary from what i hear during pregnancy. But the last few doctors ive been to tell me they dont do it and try to avoid all meds while pregnant. Im going to make an appt with sum1 who can help with this situation... keep u  updated!!
Ambien seriously damages my brain. I never feel good after taking them the next day. And when I take them it feels like my mind is being damaged. I hallucinate and everything. I take the 10 mg and somtimes break another and take like 12-15mg total. Well I USED to. Have not touched it in about a month. It was tough but I went ct off of   Percs, oxy, ambien and Ativan. I have been off of
everything except
the perc's
and Oxy for a month. Those I had to start over and am now at day 4. Ambien are addictive and have bad wd's. Just look them up.