amino acid protocol
I havent been on here in a long time. I have got my addiction under control and feel much better.My question is for a friend. How long does the amino acids take to start working? What are ya'lls experenciences with it? How much does it help. she has been on about 60mg of methadone and or hydrocodone for a while now. I am very worried that she may do something stupid if the pain becomes too much. Please help!
Can anyone Help?
I think the aminos really helped me out. Unfortunately I didn't get them until maybe day 6 but I imagine they would helped during the first few days of hell as well.  I don't take all that the amino acid protocol call for I but take more L-tyrosine for energy in the morning, 5htp for relaxing at night, also added some melatonin for sleep, vitamin c, b-complex...  I'm on day 33 and I am sick so I haven't taken as much lately but I do think they helped with energy and sleeping.  The hardest part to change the idea of taking poisons for fun to taking supplements to fix the damage the poisons did.  Good luck to you and your friends, keep posting and doing research to find the best solutions for you.  Baths and chocolate are the best weapons for withdrawals...
The amino's dont do much for pain.....they are good for energy, sleep, and state of mind. I feel that they saved me another nasty antidepressant. There are many other things that you may do to address pain...... topical applications work (I like Walgreens Capsazin - pepper juice, the Ben Gay affect)  hot showers and working extension flexion of muscles with a yoga ball.....lots of stuff. Bottom line is the narc's (methadone included) will work for so long. Then they turn on you. Check out the local library for DVD;s of Tai Chi or Cho Gong.....these are valid......accupressure and accupuncture also are real scholls of thought and practice. Walking is just palin underrated and is so easy to do.....get some kind of exercise....even low impact will help greatly. It will also halp your brain get the endorphins moving.......try everything......just dont think a pill is the answer.....good luck!!  eagle
Thanks, I know pills aren't the only answer. I did it cold turkey, but i was on a lot less than she was even at my worst and it was hell.And I was only on hydrocodones, she's been taking methadone too.
hey there!  personally, i think the amino's really help...
there's a book called The Mood Cure that has a section on exactly which ones to take during pain killer withdrawal...
I HIGHLY suggest you get it and check it out!  it's great for alot of things..
i can also tell you which to take if you don't know... just let me know.  i believe off the top of my head it's the following:

2 500mg. Gaba  4x per day
4 500mg DLPA  4x per day
1-2 5-HTP  4x per day (last dose tho, take 2-3)
3 free-form amino blend 700-800 mg. per day, 2x per day

It also mentions 1000mg vit.Cascorbate powder the first week, "taken to bowel tolerance."

I found this incredibly helpful....good luck to you and your friend, and KUDOS!

:)
mj
oops!  the last one - about the Vit. C is 1000 mg. ascorbate powder (I guess that is a form of Vit.C,) "taken to bowel tolerance" the first week...

:-)