Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
amitriptyline withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

amitriptyline withdrawal

I've been taking Amitriptyline for 20 years after three back fusions, at night for
pain. (75mgs) Last year I started not sleeping as good. It got worse and 8 months ago I woud stay completly awake for two days, then sleep two days. Off and on it went.  Five months ago I decided to get off the medicine.  I'm down to one 25mgs every other day with my doctors help.  He is giving me
Ambien (5mgs)for help. It worked fine for 60 days but after reading about the
down side of taking this continuly, I only take it once or twice a week.  I am still having a terrible time sleeping.  Last nite I took  Ambien and still could
not sleep.  My own thought is-- last year my body wanted more them 75mgs
of Amitriptyline and I am not wanting to go that way.  I have not talked to my
doctor yet.  Is their anyone that can tell me how long am I looking at with
withdrawal?
I am not sure about the withdrawls because I am not familiar with the drug. There are a lot of people here with a ton of knowledge so someone will probably answer that question. As for sleeping, tryTrypyophan or Melatonin. You can buy it at your local health food store. It is all natural and non addictive. Melatonin is a natural chemical in your body, and Tryptophan is what is in  Turkey that makes you sleepy. Also, try getting some lavendar lotion. Take a warm bath with epsom salt (helps detox muscles) put on the lotion and lay in bed. The scent of lavender is a relaxent.
Thank you so much for your help.  I take 12 mgs of Melatonian at PM and I will try your other sugestions. I talked to Pharmacy and I't might take 2 more months to reconnect to falling asleep on my own.  I hated to hear that
but it does give me hope.  Thanks again