amitriptyline
hey guys, although i am over 2 months clean, i am still having lots of problems sleeping at night.  i thought it would eventually get better, but it has not.  as a result i am lethargic through the day, making mistakes at work and yesterday i lost concentration driving and nearly crashed.  i went to see my doc today and prescribed me amitriptyline 25mgs one at night, i was just wondering if anyone else has taken them and how they found them. thanks in advance emma xxx
I took amitriptyline years back for insomnia.. I belive its an antidepresent that they also use for sleep problems.  I do remember it worked well, but I would wake up groggy from it, which is why I didnt use it for long.  Good luck!
thanks for that, i am worried about taking tablets for anything at the min with my history, but i really really need sleep before i kill my self or someone else!!! the doc has given me a months supply so i will see how it goes xxx
I am pretty positive its not addicting.  Its not a benzo nor is it like ambien or lunesta (I think those are called 'hypnotics').. Good luck.. you should definitely sleep from it.
thats good to know, they wanted to try me on zimovane but i know they are addicting so i refused, well heres to sleep ooooh i really cant wait.......
You should sleep on it, when i finally started sleeping then it came back, ok let me rephrase that, after i took something to help me sleep it took bout a week then i could sleep on my own. You are a good friend Emma i wish you the best, Aaron
thanks aaron, that is what i am hoping will happen, i just kept going on and on hoping sleep would return, but when i nearly crashed yesterday, i thought it was time to do something about it before i got hurt!!! actually i am so excited about the thought of getting a good nights sleep, i cant wait to go to bed!!!
I took it for several years as an antidepressant and yes you will really sleep,in fact I am going to the doctor tomorrow myself to see about going back on it for depression and sleep good luck emma and happy dreams
snowflake
Happy Dreams Emma!!!!
Let us know how you are in the AM OK?

Terry
thanks guys, i will do :-) xxxx emma
It is also used for chronic pain and for sleep..for depression in higher doses...I take 12.5 mgs every night almost for sleep/pain//and it helps..I was groggy at first..and i cut my 25 mgs in half cos the 25 mgs does make me groggy...12.5/or half does not but I sleep well..everyone is different so see how it affects u..good luck..sleep is important to recovery..  50 mgs or more is the usual dose for depression
well i slept all night for the first time in a very long time!! only downside? i woke up this morning feeling like i had been hit by a lorry!! had a terrible headache, it went a way with time though, but hey its worth it to have sleep!!
I'm so happy to hear that you finally got a good night's sleep.  I've tried amitriptyline before, for another reason, and couldn't tolerate it because of it's morning-after groggy effects.  I gave it a month's test run before I decided it wouldn't work for me.  However, most people say the morning grogginess does dissipate with time and each day is better. Let's hope that happens for you.
my doc gave me a months supply, will give it ago for that time see how i cope with it, i was glad i wasnt working this morning, because my head hurt so bad, i hope this is just a temp side affect and it will pass.  its so good to sleep and not be pacing the floors all night praying for morning to come!!
you might find that once you are back in a pattern of sleeping regularly you might not need them anymore. hopefully.

Nick
well my doc put me on that too ad i myself hated it, it made my heart race and i woke up the next morning always feelin hungover so i stopped takn it but it is for nerves an u probably shouldnt be on it just for sleepin i know how it feels to not sleep and i know how good it feels to be able to sleep but i would definitely ask for something different like maybe serequel or tramadol or even ativan but thats up to you just givin my opion seeing is how thats what u wanted right let me know how things go ok good luck!
that is my biggest hope, if i could get a routine going, you know going to bed at the same time each night i am hoping this will just get me kickstarted in the right direction, i havent slept properly since mum died i used to get terrible nightmares, i think this where it stems from, of course the situtation was then agravaited by take those stupid pills.  thanks for caring nick xxx

sadjit thanks for you advice i really appreciat it, tramadol is for pain i think not sleeping and its highly addictive so thats a big no no, i havent heard of ativan, i dont think we get it over here unless its under a different name. love emma xxx
there is something called sleep hygiene, it sounds silly but you might want to look into it. it is all about training your mind to want to sleep at the right time.
basically you stay out of you bedroom at all times except when it's time to sleep. that way when ever you do go into your bedroom your brain knows it's specifically for sleep. sounds silly but it can work.
but it means you can't read in bed or lay around for no reason, you've got to tell your brain that the bed is strictly for sleeping.
if the amitriptylene doesn't work it might be worth trying.
good luck
Nick xxx