Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
anxiety

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

anxiety

ok I know anxiety is all part of getting clean....i've heard Valerian root is good for that....any other suggestions??  does V root make you drowsy at all??   i mostly get the anxiety at work.....the past couple of days have been almost unbearable.....so if anyone has any suggestions i would be very grateful.  Had it so bad at one point today, i thought i would have a panic attack.....i'm at 26 days clean today.....thought it would get better but it's gotten worse past few days. Thanks!!
Breathing exercises will help with anxiety.  Breathe in for five seconds and breathe out for ten seconds.  Repeat five times.  It will relax you as it really does work.  So does meditation.  And hot showers (yeah, you're probably tired of hearing that but we repeat it because it's also true).

And valerian root works for some of us (me included).   But don't take too much, it will upset your stomach big time.
Meditation works pretty good! Also my therapist gave me info on how to do deep muscle relaxation. You can probably google it and try that. Just turn the lights off and find your happy place and try one or all of these things
thanks for the tips!!   but i'm usually ok at home.....it's at work where i'm having the problems.....so breathing exercises i can do there...but showers and meditation not so much...lol  when i took lunch today i just tried to calm myself....i was out running errands for my boss...couldnt' even get that completely finished....i was pissed cuz i had to do those errands too....lol  that didn't help
honestly, there's a very simple tecnhique my therapist taught me based on left/right brain stuff. Sit relaxed with your hands on your legs, right on right, left on left, in a chair. Think about your breathing, breathe in and tap your palm on you left leg, breathe out and tap right hand on right leg, in, tap left, out tap right, go slowly, focus on your breathing, and just lightly tap your thigh, once each in/out. In like 30 seconds, it's amazing, your heart rate slows and it calms your racing thoughts. And once you do it a few times, you can even do it without closing your eyes, sitting at a desk, just alternate tapping on each leg with you palm as you breathe in and out. It helps disconnect your thoughts and triggers (I'm told,) and it works for me any time I start to feel a panic attack coming on. Just try it for 30 or 40 seconds, it's really crazy helpful.
There are, of course many medicines that will help that are not narcotics.  I have taken Vistaril....may not be spelled right, and Doxapin....may not be spelled right.
ImDone is right on the money.  Breathing exercies work really well, I know from experience.  I also like grounding techniques.  I will give you an example that doesn't take long.  Look around the room and notice what is around you.  Close your eyes, ask yourself a question like how many doors are in here.  It doesn't matter if you get it right or wrong.  Do this with a few things then move onto sounds.  Notice the loudest sound you can here.  Picture where it is coming from.  Keep doing this until you get down to the slightes sound that you can hear.  Start bringing yourself out of it by coming back to where you are then open your eyes....that is a kind of grounding.

Practice all of these exercises, also when you actually have time to do it at home through meditation and yoga if possible.

Goodness, I have so many of these I could go on forever.  Next one, look up yoga nidra.  It is a type of guided meditation that uses visualization.  This with the addition of aroma therapy really works.  I recommend Lavender or Vanilla for the relaxation and a citrus aroma for the end to energize you.  The best place to get these all natural aromas is from bed bath and beyond but Walmart will work.

Next one is visualization.  You can pretty much so this anywhere as well.  Close your eyes and picture a place that has no negativity or worry.  Imagine yourself being there by yourself.  I will give you an example of mine.  I picture myself on a different planet.  It is always dark, starry, and it has three beautiful moons in the sky which cast enough light to see.  The planet is covered in water and little islands of sand.  The water is only knee deep and a beautiful blue color.  The islands are small and the sand that they are made of is a little darker blue than the water.  You don't need to sleep as much because there are no outside factors to cause you stress and no people around to change or alter your modd.  No job no need for money, no rain, no need for shelter.  I can't tell you how I see this in my head but you get the basic Idea.

The next one is body visualization.  Lay on the floor, take some deep breaths.  Remain still.  Notice the parts od your body that are in direct contact with the ground.  Start at the top of your body and work your way down slowly.  Imagine you are in a warm place like on a beach somewhere, really feel the heat.  Do that for a few seconds then imagine you are at a cold place like at the top of a mountain.  As you breath in with your eyes closed imagine that the air you aer breathing in is blue and healing.  The air you are breathing out is red and negative energy.  As you breath in repeat I am calming my mind, as you breath out repeat I am calming my body.  Bring yourself back to the present like in the sound exercise.  If you fall asleep it is ok.

I will also be glad to post a simple yoga routine if you are interested.

The more you practice this whether you are at home or work will make it quicker and easier to do it.

Wow, I am out of breath lol

Larry
I have more if you need them.  lol
thanks so much evolv for the advice!!  i will try anything at this point...i didn't have this much of a problem with it when i was first getting clean....it's just so frustrating trying to work on patients and you are fighting the "freak out"....just started getting bad few days ago....along with the no energy and tiredness that's always there..but i will try it!!
wow that's a great way of thinking Bub!  i will have to try that at home too.....and will try the things at work too.....it's amazing what your mind does to you....this was something i didn't see coming.....the WDs i understood...but this hit me out of the blue....i will tell my counselor about it on Friday too....see what she says....thanks for all the advice!! really means alot to me!  this site is awesome....wouldn't have made 26 days without it thats for sure!  :)  
Ehhhhhh......this is kind of a hard one.  I didn't have it after I finished withdrawing.  I can't imagine what I would do if I had a horrible anxiety episode at work!  That'd be awful.  Have you checked into counseling or NA or anything yet?  That helps.  Walking or exercise helps.  I mean, obviously you can't exercise at work.  LOL I mean, when you start exercising it will help all around for the anxiety.  Have you EVER tried the Valerian?  I didn't take it for anxiety but tried it for sleep several times at several different doses, but it didn't help that.  Nothing would have helped that short of knocking me in the head with a baseball bat.  : )  You should at least try it.  As far as you have been away from your last pill, it may help you?  Also, maybe it has to do with stuff going on at work and not a generalized anxiety?
Hey Tooth! I'm So sorry about the anxiety! You've been given some great advice. About the only thing I can add is maybe try some soothing hot tea! Decaff of course, and not Sleepy Time, but maybe something that is calming. Plus, I agree about the deep breaths, for me, that really helps! Take care, you are doing awesome!!
yea it could be related and prolly is to work....since i don't get that bad at home.....it's very busy at work and my boss is a tyrant at times....not yelling and stuff but always wanting me to do MORE and MORE.... and we are short handed right now.....so i have ALL the patients to see....just me and the boss....20 sometimes 30 patients a day....i take Alteril at night which has Valerian root in it...it helps me sleep....that and/or Nyquil....lol  i just don't want to take the Val root and it make me sleepy at work...hell i'm tired enough as it is at work...lol  

and yes i'm seeing a counselor...my 3rd session is this Friday....haven't started NA yet but that is on the top of the list....hopefully this weekend..
thanks Sonrissa!  yea that's what i did today....deep calming breaths in my car at lunch.....and i have tried the sleepy time tea at bed  time.....with the Alteril...but the tea kept waking me up to go pee....hahahaha so i stopped doing that at bedtime....lol  maybe i will try the calming tea for work IF i had time to drink it!!  ugggg
Does anyone know if valerian root makes you sleepy?
i meant to ask that Pat...hahaha  my brain is fried today  :P
I know sweety, just trying to help you out lol.
It did not make me sleepy!  And I was taking it at bedtime.  There are people who swear that it helps them sleep though.  I think if you wanted to try a couple of capsules at work, it wouldn't hurt at all unless you get knocked out easily, and I think that we have established that you do NOT! LOL
i know Pat! and thanks for having my back!!  lol  
maybe i will try it Friday while at home......so if it does make me sleepy i can just crash on the couch....lol  after my counseling session of course...haha

thanks LeaAnn!  :)
Have you tried the melatonin (sorry if I'm forgetting here).. but that worked best for me for sleep.  Valerian worked for my anxiety, and made me a little tired, but didn't really help for sleeping.
benadryl works for me for sleep - just take like a half. makes sure it's not the extended release or daytime kind - just regular old Benadryl. Just take it with a glass of water as it dehydrates you a bit. good luck - hang on, you're doing awesome.
Benadryl does seem to work for some.  It made me super jittery though, and gave me horrible RLS.  But it affects people differently.  I also found any of the "PM" products gave me the same nasty side effects.

Probably what works best is making the bedroom a really relaxing environment.. clean sheets, hot shower or bath before bedtime, cozy PJ's, a cup of tea (small cup! lol) and keep the room fairly cool at night - a cool room is better for sleeping.
thanks ImDone....yea i take Alteril at night and it has melatonin and valerian root in it .....sleep has been decent past few nights.....hoping it stays that way...but i'm wide *** awake by 6am....lol  
Oooo that sounds nice! Can you come make my room up like that?? :) and maybe tuck me in too??
thanks for the info evolv!  the Alteril works pretty good for me....that and Nyquil....lol  so far anyway.....but the first couple weeks...NOTHING worked to help me sleep....i figured that was normal tho....
hahaha me too Teresa!!  i keep my house cold at night...i do sleep better that way....and i snuggle under the covers and it helps me to fall asleep all wrapped up tight..  :)
I thought this was a thread about anxiety.  How did it turn into sleep remedies?  MY GOD PEOPLE, get with the program.

And no, I'm not anxious, not at all, at all, at all.  
Teresa and I will be expecting you shortly. It's getting close to bedtime, so you better hit the road!! LOL

That does sound really good to me.  That's basically what I do anyway.  I have flannel snowman ba-jammies on as I type! hahaha For real.  And they're about 2 sizes too big, so they're super comfy.  Hard to walk in but comfy!

Ask your therapist on Friday about this.  I'm interested to hear what they say about it.  It's not an uncommon problem, but I think it's uncommon to find a great solution without trying a few things first!
Wow Pat! You need help there buttercup!  
Chilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
It's okay, I will get some valerian root tomorrow.  
I have given up on sleep lol.
Yeah! Chillllllllllllllllll
that Alteril worked for me Pat....it has melatonin and val root extract in it....maybe one or the other will work for you honey!!  
Thanks toothfaire
You are so sweet and so helpful.  I am going to get some of that tomorrow too.  I should be very calm by noon.
Pat, tell me what all you have tried.....and I'll help you even though you bit our heads off.  It's ok.  I'll get over it in a few months.  Don't worry about me.  I'll lick my wounds and cry some more and be ok.....eventually! :D
i hope it works for you!! and continues to work for me!  now i just need to get rid of this anxiety and we will all be happy!!  hahaha
Awww LeaAnn, I was just kidding.  I have ativan that I take when I have panic attacks.  I have been dealing with them off and on for years and years.  
I only take .5mg if I have one and it works.  I don't want to become addicted so I am very careful but I have had a lot more anxiety during withdrawal like everyone else.
I think I will pick up some valerian root though just to try it instead of the ativan.  I don't need another problem.
Congrats on 26days! I give Valerian root to my kitty Beener. I give it a night because it has a calming effect and can make you sleepy. I know youre not a cat -lol but Ive heard that it can make you drowsy. In hindsight I had the anxiety for a few months after I got sober. The hardest thing for me is to relax. Its trial and error finding what works best for you. Reading helps me or playing a game on facebook. Or turning the lights down. I had to literally teach myself how to handle anxiety and stress. I even noticed last night when all this stress was happening that they kept telling me to breathe. I realized I hold my breath a lot. Hope you feel better. Sometimes watching funny videos help too! ((hugs))~Bkitty
Xanax also is amazing at staving of panic attacks, but the downside is your BLAH for the rest of the day. Use one keeping your room cold tho! I run my AC all year (mainly to quiet the traffic/street noise) but its a better sleep under covers in a cold room than being hot. Also try reading something tedious - like "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" or Tolstoy (who I love, but it's dense) or maybe George Elliott. Guaranteed to get you yawning and totally non-toxic!
*autocorrect sorry - I meant "I second keeping your room cold..."
Look at you Hijacking poor sweettooths thread!  You should probably not be allowed on planes cuz you might Hijack one!! Just making a simple observation here :)
I knew you were kidding, silly!  Now, you know you can't be taking Ativan and getting addicted to that too! Remember pain pills?  We took them as needed at one point too.  If I had a bottle of Ativan, I wouldn't be able to take as needed.  I don't think I have control of anything anymore.  That may be more me than anyone else, but it just scares the crap out of me to think of benzo withdrawal. That makes opiate WD look like Disney World!!!!  Have you tried Nyquil?  As far as y'all are from your original WD, you should be able to take the OTC stuff without too much problem. I still stand by that Benadryl gives me the skin crawly feeling.....to this day!  I have taken Unisom.  Has the same thing as Nyquil but without the cold medicine part in it.  It doesn't do the same thing as Benadryl to me.  You should really try the Valerian.  You don't have anything to lose.  Alteril is good for getting more hours of sleep but didn't help me GO to sleep too well.  Everyone is different though! :) I'll say a little prayer that you all get lots of sleep tonight.  

For what it's worth, I don't sleep much even now.  Out of the last week, there have been more nights than not that I got around 2 hours.  Usually, I average 4, and if I get 6, I'm jumping up and down.  I don't require much sleep.  I'm kinda hyper.  Y'all can't tell that, right? LOL Don't answer that!
I was just going to suggest you have another cup of coffee, lol.
You could also read some of Teresa's old posts.  They are a snooze fest.
Ummmmm *wants to answer that so bad* !!!
Yeah, the parts where Pat Hijacked them, LAME!
thanks so much for posting Bkitty!!  i hope you are feeling a bit better??  so sorry about all of it!!  and yea i tend to hold my breath when i'm stressed...then i stop and think breath girl, breath....had to do that couple times today....lol  

and B...i have burned up YouTube watching funny videos!!  for the past 3 wks....lmao....i pull up bloopers and gag reels from my fav movies or tv shows....it helps so much to laugh!!  and good music helps too...thanks!!
I agree with you on the ativan but I really don't like the way it makes me feel.  I was actually on 3mg a day and I asked my doctor to cut it back.
I was down to 1mg and asked to be cut to .5.

I have been taking more of it than usual during my detox and after for anxiety but I am so careful with it.  I don't want to ever become addicted to it.  I have heard about benzo withdrawal.

haha yea i read and watch tv....videos on Youtube for the laughs....it helps alot....but at work can't really do that....lol  but it helps at home...thanks for everything evolv!  hope you are doing ok???
I thought you fell asleep from all this talk about sleep problems.
hahaha LeaAnn i wish i had some of your energy!!  i take the alteril with a swig of Nyquil.....the nyquil makes me go to sleep i think and the Alteril keeps me sleeping....idk really but it's been working.....you guys are crackin me up on here!!  lmao
Good!  And you're right.....it's NOT cool to go through benzo withdrawal.  AWFUL.  Like, scary awful.  Feel like you could truly die and may any second the whole time, for weeks.  Horrible.....

I could send Maddie to y'all.  She is a night owl.  She is currently in her room singing to the TOP of her lungs....."This Little Light of Mine!" Bet you have never heard it sung this loud???  Unbelievable!  But sweet at the same time??  I'm weird!
lmao Pat...that comment cracked me up!!  snooze fest....hahahaha  sorry Teresa now that was just funny!!  but i love you both  :D
lmao.....you girls are making me laugh tonight!  i needed that!  thanks so much!!!  
s**t....i hope i fall asleep from something!!  hahahahaha!!!!  hope you do too girl!!  
Dont encourage her behavior!
Maybe a frying pan??? :)
I would think it was adorable too unless I was sleeping! hahaha Then I might have to reconsider! :)

this little light of mine, Im gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine...
lol i bet it's cute to hear her sing LeaAnn!  and as far as ativan...i had some really really old ones i had....obviously not my DOC cuz they were 7-8 years old......i took them .5 one a day during WDs and 1 at night to help me sleep.....i don't have any left....maybe 1 i think.....but i don't want to get hooked on anything else either.....and i've heard about WDs from them....don't want it!  
frying pan!!  that was SOFA KING funny!  hahaha  
Awww that is so precious.  My son sang that song one Christmas when he was little.  He learned it at daycare.  I am sure I have it on video somewhere.  I am going to have to find that.
hey tooth, i'm ok, but i'm not sticking to my taper :( thanks for asking. another thing i thought of for anxiety (I have a lot because i used to get panic attacks big time) is some acting exercises i used to do with actors (i used to direct.) you need to be able to lie down in a quiet room, so maybe won't work at work, but they're amazing to do at bedtime - you go through every muscle/area in your body from the top of your head down to your toes, one at a time, and think about relaxing it, all while breathing slowly. Again - it sounds very basic and overly-simple, but when you actually DO it - it works wonders. Let me know if you want me to send you a link, these exercises are all over the web, just need to find it (mine are in books...)

you've made it this far - there's no way you're going back. if you have to watch the same ten episodes of (fill in favorite tv show here) over and over until you fall asleep - then go for it, it will bore you to sleep eventually, ha! also collegehumor.com has a lot of funny stuff. also i like to waste time on www.kickstarter.com - there are a lot of indie artists who are creating amazing stuff, you can browse and watch trailers and you don't have to pay to look... just a thought. also blogs about stuff you're into! (politics, celeb gossip, pottery, ANYTHING, there are 100 blogs for everything you can think of!)

Hang in, you're doing great. And thanks for checking in - Dec 18/19 is my zero hour. just gonna go for it.
i've felt like knocking other people out with a frying pan lately.....lmao!!!!
I hope you're not waiting 7 years.
Oh boy!! I have a HUGE list myself!! I often daydream about it :)
thanks evolv!   I will be here for you when you get to that date!!  all these great people on here have seen me thru some dark days.....wouldn't have made it this far.....(i'm still a newbie).....but i still like to pay it forward when i can...and thanks so much for the info.....i will check out the blogs.....sleep is "OK" right now....but just gotta get past the anxiety thing....and hope i don't crack until that happens....lol  i just keep telling myself that it will pass....and slow down my breathing.....that's what i did today....and will do tmrw if it comes back....praying it doesn't but i will handle it the best way i can...thanks for everything!  
lmao me too Teresa!!  i actually had dirty instruments in my hand i wanted to throw....hahahaha....i'm so twisted!!  :P
Okay quiet now. Survivor is on.
Youre not the boss of me!
You should have thrown them!! lol WOuld have let out some of that anxiety! :)
thanks tooth, everyone on here is great - i can't wait for the day. i hate myself for being so weak, but i would give anything to be where you are. call on me anytime.
Your not weak! This disease is just stronger than you! You will get there, Just have faith that you can conquer this and find your way to the other side! I have faith in you :)
but i wanted to throw them at SOMEONE'S FACE!!  lmao
thanks teresa, every morning i tell myself i will taper today, that i will do better - it doesn't happen. it *****. i don't know what to do other than CT next week. but i've been through semi-quitting before so i hope i can t least be of help to some of the other people on here, all dealing with the same thing.
oh you will get there!!.....i say that about my friends here that are 60-90 days clean and years clean!  it gives me hope!!  just stick with us....we will get each other to the other side!  i have faith in you!  you can do it....if i can anyone can....and you're not weak....you have the strength to want it...so it will happen....i'm alone in this except for the great people here and my counselor....but i am planning on a meeting soon!!  
Thats ok!! Lettttt it all out!! Next time imagine a bullseye dead center! :)
ohhhh i do imagine for sure....right or wrong i do....lmao  
Don't encourage her!  She may do it!
Shhhhh LeaAnn!! Stay out of this!! Im the devil on her shoulder....Sweettooth, just do it...just throw them...noone will know its you....you will feel so much better...

hahahahaha God I make myself laugh sometimes!
There is a book called from panic to power by lucinda Bassett it is wonderful. Teaches you how to deal with panic. I had very bad panic attacks for two years before I found out what they was in and out of the hospital bc I thought I was about to die and this book changed my life. I found the book at barns n noble. Right now I am having a panic attack I get them when im very stressed but I know how to deal with them and it makes it so much easier.
hahaha Teresa...well we shall see what today brings!!  not much sleep last night....uggg  and LeaAnn....i will try to be good today!!  no instruments someone's eye!!  lol
thank you stuckonmeds!!  i will have to check it out!  hopefully it gets better soon....thank God the weekend is coming up :)