Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
anxiety

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

anxiety

I suffer from anxiety attacks and have worked my way up to 2mg of xanax and 20mg of valum and they don't stop the attacks.  Does anyone have advice or ideas of what I can do?
Do you take any daily anti-anxiety meds such as paxil or something to prevent the attacks besides the benzos?  You need to see another doctor if not.  Those doses are dangerous.
I agree that your doses are higher than recommended.  You need to have a pow wow with your doc, preferably a psychiatrist...they are the best at managing meds AND therapy for the best outcome...imo.  I've lived with anxiety all of my life, and I will tell you that it can and WILL get better, but it takes time and a lot of work.  Just taking pills isn't the answer.  You need an all inclusive therapy program to help you with coping, and re-learning the way you think.

Just please address the anxiety now rather than later...your doses are too high and you are going to leave yourself vulnerable for rebound anxiety if you have to taper off of them...or switch to something else.

Best of luck...hang in there.
I too have a horrible anxiety disorder.  It feels like the panic attacks never stop sometimes and I am constantly on "overdrive".  This has been especially true now more than ever since I quite taking opiates.  I also take xanax and it helps immensely but I know it won't work forever so I have started taking an antidepressant and am seeing a therapist once a week.  I haven't been doing this long but I really hope it works.  I know I can't go on ignoring this problem.  I tried to "self-medicate" for years and just ended up spiraling in to addiction because of it.  I hope this helps.  I feel your pain, believe me.