Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
being addicted to weed and how to quit?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

being addicted to weed and how to quit?

so i have been smoking weed for a very long time now.  im now 23 and smoked my first joint in grade 6 and been smoking heavily since grade 9.  now ive done tons of drugs but been seriously addicted to oxys also.  i have just quit oxys ct and im on day 7.  but i want to fully clean my life up and change it for good.  i dont think of weed as being that bad but i do know its a drug and i am addicted to it.  i knwo a lot of people say you cant get addicted to weed but i beilve i am.  i smoke it every day.  i only use bongs or pipes i smoke right when i wake up and just smoke bowls through out the day.  i smoke about a half ounce a weed?  waht are the wds like?  any help with this will be extremly helpfull
you dont have physical wd's from pot.  Its all mental
yeah i agree with above...nothing phsical just mentall...so you just have to prepare yourself mentally and go for it..never a better day than today
ok ya thats what i was kinda wondering.  so waht id just be really stressed out for a while or what?  and i guess not sleeping would be an issue too?  its been at least 8 years since ive gone a day without smoking.   i just kind of wanted to know what to be prepared for and stuff
You will probably have mostly cravings and some anxiety too. Like mentioned above, there are no physical w/d's. You will be bitchy for a bit though, lol. You can do this.
I started smoking weed when I was 14, then everyday at 16-23. And I mean EVERYDAY since. For those 7 years, I smoked when I woke up, periodically during the day, and especially in the evening. The ONLY time I wasn't smoking was when I was working, although also at the time, I was even able to smoke at work. The only times I stopped was during both of my pregnancies. Stopping doesn't cause withdrawals, and little to no mental withdrawals. If you are absolutely sure this is what you want, YOU CAN DO IT unscathed! After my pregnancies, I started smoking again, and then HAD To stop. I got arrested and was placed on probation. Stopping smoking is NOTHING compared to oxy w/d. I mean NOTHING. You don't really feel anything but the anxiety of wanting to smoke to do everyday things. What I did, was substitute something else. Almost like smoking cigs, eat a piece of candy, go out and do something. The less you think about it, the better. After a few days, the desire to smoke will be minimal. There are no physical withdrawals whatsoever. Just your mind reminding  you how "fun" it was to do things while high. Like I said before, if you want to do this, you can!! I'm here for you if needed!
Pot is not tough to quit, as the others have said, there are no withdrawal symptoms and it is purely mental.  I quit over a year ago after smoking several times per day for probably close to 20 years, you just need to find something to keep your mind occupied, esspecially if you are bored.  After a few days, you can break the habit and move on.  Congratulations on quitting oxy - that is much harder than pot.
awesome guys that helped a lot.  thanks
Anything that activates the pleasure centers in your brain can be addictive. So while all the advice above is correct, don't underestimate the work you have to do to train your brain to do without it. The fact that it is all mental doesn't mean it's easy, of course.   I don't know if it's funny or not, but my wife and my doctor constantly beg me to smoke more pot. That is a consequence of how far I took the whole opiate thing. They would rather I went totally rasta on them, it would just be so much better than where I was. (And that's WAS, day 18 and pretty much clean, thank you.)
I have smoked pot on and off  all of my life and although it is mostly mental, it is foolish to think it is all mental because when you quit ,the first week is the worst because of the mental part mostly and the physical withdrawls secondarily.   The reason you get physical withdrawls is because you have a massive decrease in appetite(which is physical and not a mental withdrawl (withdrawal) effect DUH !) AND furthermore you have a massive decrease in sleep which is also a physical thing and not  an in your head mental thing (again f#####g DUH !)  .. and of coarse oxy WDs are far worse and make weed look like nothing, weed indeed still has mildly nasty physical wds the 1 st 7 days