Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
bipolar and addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

bipolar and addiction

My husband is addicted to vicodin. He has been taking them for 5 years. he was addicted to Ecstacy, and someone offered him a vicodin to help with the withdrawal from that. he quit ecstacy over 5 years ago, so i feel like he went from one addiction to another. There are a few different things going on. He is bipolar and is not currently on medication. he has expressed a desire to get off of pills, but he has tried before and failed. He can get very mean, and angry while he is withdrawaling. I love him very much, and i am ready to stand by him through this. We have 2 daughters, 3 and 1. Also i am 6 months pregnant with our son. So i am very concerned about timing. But he feels he is ready. Also, i cannot be there to hold his hand every step of the way because i work full time. he is disabled because of the severity of his bipolar, so he cares for our children with help from his mother. I am concerned about how this is going to affect our kids, and what can i do to make this whole process easier for him? he wants desperately to quit cold turkey, and today (12/6) is going to be day one.
Rye, Welcome,
First things first he has to get back on his bi polor meds and get stable .Withdrawal tends to bring on depression in people that are not  bi polor . Plz he needs to do that first . You said he is on disability
its so bad .Why is he not taking them? I would encourage him to get stable first then deal with the withdrawal .... good luck
avis
Hi.  I'm tapering off of oxy from a car accident.  I'm bipolar and still on my meds - the third taper was pretty bad for me - my depression escalated to the point it scared me.  I don't think it matters what his drug of choice is - he really needs to be back on his bp meds before he starts to get off the vicodin.  I rarely call my psychiatrist but during the beginning/middle of the last taper, I had to go back in because of the depression.  It's hard for many bp's to stay on meds - it's hard for me - it's even harder when he's in the middle of a drug addiction (been there many times).  By the way, I got really mean too - but my kids are a little older than yours so I talked to them and explained it had nothing to do with them at all - not sure this helped because the words were already out but it was all I had to offer them.

You have a lot on your plate - two young kids, one on the way and a full time job.  It sounds like he can at least talk to you - so maybe he'll listen when you ask him to go back and get on his bp meds before he goes any further with wanting to stop the vicodin - it will at the minimum, ease his depression and hopefully help with the anger.  This is just my experience.  Good luck - you sound like you are an incredibly strong person.