Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
calling myself out.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

calling myself out.

Soooo, I have wanted to do this for awhile, but getting off all the pills kind of took center stage of my life up until now.  I can’t find an active enough group on this site or anywhere else where I could post for support. I don’t want to take up space on this particular forum, so I was thinking maybe trying to start a group, but that wouldn’t do much good if I am alone and just posting and responding to myself. Lol  More than anything I want to quit nicotine now.  And I know the best way to do that is to do is cold turkey.  So, if there is ANYONE who has quit smoking already & who would be willing to give support and advice, or anyone who is ready to quit and wants to do it cold turkey, please send me a message.  I need someone to hold me accountable with this. Eventually, I want to be in a place where I can support others with this, but right now I am totally not there.  Trust me, any smoker who tries to go more than a few hours without smoking will realize that nicotine addiction is just as real as any other drug addiction. The withdrawal, the cravings, the consequences to our health….  I am really trying, but there isn’t a rehab for smokers & there really aren’t any support groups either.  So I have been trying to treat this like my other addictions, but it’s been harder because my ‘cutting ties with my supplier’ doesn’t work with this.  I can buy cigarettes everywhere. Also, because I am already recovering from my opiate addiction, I am finding that whenever I do start the detox from nicotine, it brings up thoughts of taking pills. So, maybe even hearing from people who have given up multiple substances would help too. I don’t know.  I know my situation isn’t hopeless, but from where I stand right now, and all my failed attempts at do this, I am feeling like it is hopeless. Anyways, I just wanted to throw this out there.  Thanks:)
Tags: nicotine
I know you have been battling with this for awhile now but your comment about quitting smokes brings up thoughts of pills concerns me.  I still am not convinced you are in a good enough place to do this.  I know smoking is bad for us, i get that but i think this addiction is the lesser of 2 evils.  Boy, this was encouraging huh!!!
I talked to both my doctor and ny therapist about quitting smoking and for about 4 about months I was still working on my anxiety and other issues and both advised me not to quit until my anxiety was under control.  I quit about 7 weeks ago.  You have to do the same things you did before.  Change your playground and your playmates.  I had to force myself to read in a different chair because I loved smoking and reading.  I never even went into a gas station for the first month.  I even switched gas stations.  I am doing the patch which is working well for me.  I am
I am retraining my brain for the habit and social part and slowly stepping down on the patch program for the physical part.  I told myself I would quit for a month. ( quitting FOREVER seemed like too long ) and the reevaluate.  And I am past that month and haven't looked back!  When you are in a good place, quitting wont be easy but it will be easier!
I'm using the patch also. The idea of a taper makes sense to me. I still find myself wanted to partake after a meal, but I remind myself that it's mental. I have nicotine in my system, so it's not withdrawal. I'm doing nicotine the same as I did subutex. As I taper, I'm working on the mental part and changing habits. So far so good. If it interferes with my opiate sobriety, I have no problem going back to nicotine. Whatever it takes to stay clean, even if it means using tobacco for the rest of my life. Hope not, but I'm willing. Good luck.
I'm in the middle of my 3rd attempt of giving up tobacco.  I stopped for 4 years on the first go and 8 months on the second attempt.  I am currently sitting at 2 months.  

Tapering works for some folks, but I have always been either in or out, so its easier for me to work myself up and build confidence, then drop the habit.  Just like cocaine, the little monster in my head (at least 3 times a day) says, "You've been really good, so you deserve some nicotine."  All I have to do is get everything back into perspective and it's easy to not listen to that little monster.

I frequently look at my health as a motivator.  I've done so much for my health the last couple of years, why jeopardize it with nicotine?  Blood pressure goes up when I use, triglycerides to up when I use....  What's the use of that?

Stay focused.  Keep trying and eventually a stop will take hold.  
I'm a big believer in one battle at a time.  I'm with sarah 100%, wait til you're feeling stronger.  Just maybe cut back a bit for now.  You don't want to risk your sobriety because you took on too much at once.

(And, no, my post seriously has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a smoker and have never even TRIED to quit cuz I like it too much! lol)

Seriously though, my advice is sincere.  I know I couldn't diet, and quit smoking at the same time, I'd probably end up blowing both.
This is a good thread. I feel your pain as well. I know it's too soon in  MY recovery to "worry' about smoking, but I am just flat out embarrassed to be a smoker in 2012. I had quit for 6-7 years and just started up one day at a trade show in Reno. I was bored and buzzed on pills and BAM ! I'm buying a pack of butts.

I don't know your complete story akitagurl, but I'm sure I feel the exact same way as you. I know I will feel better when the nicotine and smoke is out of my body, but I'm going to wait until I am stabilized without my other demons before I attack that monster.

Best of luck to you, and if you're still looking in a couple of weeks I'll be ready to jump-off with you.