Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
chantix for opiate addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

chantix for opiate addiction

hi, wondering if anyone has any experience with using chantix for opiate craving withdrawal etc.  i know it's usually used for cigarettes or alcohol.  i have a chance to get some wondering if it would help with taper or c/t or what any help welcome thank you
I was on chantix to cut down on smoking and finally eliminate the need for cigarettes completely. It is a seven week coarse starting at 05mg going up to 1mg  a couple to three times a day. I have never heard anything about it in the use of alcohol abuse. And would have no effect with the effects of opiates. Look up chantix on the web site it mentions no were that it is used off label for alcohol or opiate dependance, If there is any truth to this tell us were we can find it on the web site?
One of the engineers in my department used Chantix to quit an addiction to Hydrocodone. Consistent 4x-6x 7.5/500 tablets daily. The link was found by accident. He injured his left ankle and the pain made him want to start smoking again. He had used Chantix to quit smoking a few years earlier. To resist the smoke urge, he started Chantix again. He found that it almost completely ceased his craving for hydrocodone and he was able to stop using them immediately. I do not have a good relationship with Chantix, as it made me severely depressed. I do not advocate Chantix for opiate addiction. If Chantix makes you feel depressed, stop taking it; see your doctor immediately, and tell him exactly how you feel. I had to use Xanax in a very low dose to stop the depression.
Hi c2..welcome to the forum. It is nice of you to give information to the members. I hope you continue. that being said, this post is 7 years old and the member you are posting to is no longer active. Hit the back to the community button at the bottom here and join us!