Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
chemmonster All drug metabolites fat cells??cravings

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I would like to know if any of you are familiar with the theory of drug metabolites being stored in the fat cells,drug metabolites may cause cravings for a long time. How to get rid of these other than dry sauna, exercise? I was searching rehabs  for my daughter a few weeks ago. I saw on www.drugrehab.net they believe that part of recovery is detoxing the drug metabolites from the body, so that you don't experience cravings. I contacted them and received many phone calls from them. They used this exact treatment on the 911 workers to rid them of the chemicals in their bodies. The program sounds good, but cost 27,000.00. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to do this??? Does anyone know resources where I could learn more about this? Chemmonster7, this could be why you are having cravings. If you ride them they pass. I wish there was an easy way to rid the body of these darn metabolites. We will try to find out. O.K. In the mean time do not go backwards. O.K. you've come to far for that.
Thanks, I would like to know everything I can about this. It frustrates me that it's so hard to find solid information about recovery.  Seems like every magazine and talk show has every tid-bit about how to diet,make-up, aging etc. Little info. about this sort of thing. We shouldn't have to dig so hard for some of these answers.
Certain metabolites do store in Fat Cells.   Biggest being hormones.

But I'm not exactly sure that means if you are a "bigger" person meaning heavier .... you will go through w/d longer.  Not sure, I'm going to ask someone today...  The half-life for most opiate narcotics is 4 - 6 hours.   It's not like the drug stays active in fat cells any longer than normal.   The Narcotis still have an "active time"...and they won't store in fat cells and decide to stay active for more time.   What happens is...when we first get on them... we'll get a good 5 hours of OK... then the time shortens...to perhaps 4 hours...then of course, we all know that digresses over time.

Cravings will and do happen after long term usage.  Just ask me.. thankfully, I'm still in "I HATE THOSE PILLS MODE"... I will be free 4 weeks Thursday. Ohhhhhhh baby.... I suely have had times during this mess where I thought 1/2 pill will make me feel better.   For me...1 would be too much 100 not enough.

Even if the drug does store in Fat cells.. the active ingredient is not active for more than 4 - 6 hours.    But I'm still going to ask someone today for you...

I do think "size" has something to do with tolerance.  Meaning someone who is bigger may need more than a 50 lb less counterpart w/the same problem.   But I'm pretty certain the drugs themselves don't store and decide to be active when they feel like it.

Take Care
Gip

I'm glad you brought that up.  I have wonder too how much stuff gets stored in the fat cells.  I saw and episode of house where the kid got sicker when he went into the hospital because he wasn't eating and started to burn fat and then just go sicker because everthing was stored in his fat cells.  I'm looking forward to losing weight.  Does that mean I'll start having cravings. I don't know.  On guy posted that his doctor gave him a slow taper because the brain needed to be rewired.  I asked him about it but never got a reply.  Feeling better.
Our brains do need to be re-wired.   The pills have taken over the body's natural pain receptors and how we deal with pain.

They (the pills) mask neurotransmitters into fooling us the pain is no longer there.

But it does eventually all go back into place after usage stops.

Some of us just takes a little longer than others.   Once our bodies are w/o the pain killers...the rewiring in our brain starts on it's own.   That's why pain seems intensified during the worst of Withdrawal.   Those transmitters have not worked during pain pill usage.

And I did call someone... the active ingredient in a opiate narcotic does not remain active in fat storage.   Toxins from the meds can store but not the active ingredient.   The reason for the craving is just that...it's cravings.

After you are finished with the Detox... losing weight will not make you crave more or less.  

Drink ... Drink.. Drink... lotsa water while detoxing.. it will flush out of our systems a lot quicker ...

Gip
Thanks so much.
My w/d were alittle differnt because of lomg term methadone use at a high dose, I am a bigger person on the methadone I gained 80pnds during w/d I lost 50 pnds mostly from not eating or drinking enouhg because of throwing up. I really wonder about the brain being retrained because methadone turns off the receptersand works in th ebrain to keep w/d and cravings away once the meth was out of my system the cravings started, thank you for the encouragement need all I can get right now this the longest I have been clean in 7yrs