Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
clonidine dose in opiate withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

clonidine dose in opiate withdrawal

Hello, I am currently planning to get off pills after 5 years. I am very scared of the wd symptoms. I was wondering if anyone has tried clonidine. How much did you take and did it help.
YES IT HELPS ALOT LOWERS YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE BRECAUSE IT GOES UP WHEN YOUR IN WITHDRAWLS.  ITS BNOT AS BAD AS YOU THINKS DON'T THINK TOO MUCH JUST DO IT DAY BY DAY
I think they prescribe 1mg twice a day. However I would see a doc. Clonidine is a blood pressure med and you should be monitored while taking it. It lowers your blood pressure, withdrawl (withdrawal) makes your blood pressure go up so this helps lower it. You should have your blood pressure checked before taking it.
It lowers your blood pressure by surpressing your adrenal (sp) system. The adrenal system goes haywire during the first few days of WD. The thought is by calming down the adrenal system, you lower the intensity of WDs.

I've tried clonidine on 3 seperate occassions - it may 'reduce' physical symptoms a little, but I didn't notice much difference.

On the flip side, it makes you really sleepy the first few times you take it - so the extra sleep helps. :)

Do not take for more than a few days - it can cause rebound hypertension - even in people that don't have hypertension.

And if I recall correctly - the doses are 0.1mg - 0.2mg & 0.3mg -- but it's been awhile.

Good luck no matter what you try!
I switched from hydro to oxy and from 80mg a day to 20mg a day in the last week. My blood pressure has gone up and I think it is from the mini wd I seem to experience every night waiting on 6am and my dose to get through the day. I saw my dr. and he has giving me a blood pressure med but I think he would prescribe me clonidine if I talked to him. After reading a few things about it I was just wondering if the blood pressure dose and the wd symptom dose was the same. I plan to reduce dose another week then stop. Is there any other suggestions. I am single mother of 2 and I cant leave for treatment. I have to get up and go to work every day. I have a 3 day weekend over memorial day and plan to use that time.
i used clonidine to help me through withdrawls when i tries kicking subutex or suboxone... whatever the heck that stuff is. it helped me sleep through the withdrawls but not for long. every time i would wake up i would feel twice as horrible. i smoked some weed and it helped
I have been off and on opiates for a few years. Hydrocodone is pretty much my pill of choice, mainly because I have access to 240 10's a month at cost. Its funny how having this supply makes me use less. I like to stop for a few weeks or evrn months at a time. W/D's are always tough. Colonidine is also something that I have access to. As far as it helping with W/D. It really does help, mind you this does not get you high. Many people seem to confuse "easing the symptoms" and "getting high again" For me (your mileage vary) Colonidine seems to take away the hot/cold flashes, restlessness, and helps me sleep. I recommend preparing for W/D before you do it. My "kit" includes the following medication; colondine, ambien, xanax or Valium, ibuprofen , Imodium (immodium) AD, and mufti vitamins. Drink tons of water and eat soups, oatmeal, or broth. The idea is to sleep though most of it. Lucky for me my metabolism is very high and the worst of my symptoms are less than 36 hours (which I sedate myself) Aim for a weekend and blame it on the flu. If you can stay off this ****, do it! Other than that be smart about what you do. Just remember as good as you feel from the high is the exact intensity of how bad you will feel when you stop. No needles and don't lie or steal to support your habit.
I too, came off Vicodin...almost 5 weeks now and they Clonidine really helped me allot!  From what I'm seeing here though is it either doesn't work as well with the harder stuff or you'd need a higher dose.

I would definitely give it a shot though.  It would have been much harder without it!
it did not work for **** for me,But i was also doing alot more than hydrocodone!!!THE ONLY THIMG THAT WILL GET NEEDLE USERS OFF IS SUBOXONE...DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE THE ARE WRONG!!!!!! suboxone for heroin,oxycodone,contin.....i am and addict i was shooting 30 roxy 30s a day till i was broke trust me.... and now clean 55 days today

good luck buddy help i helped.
                                           cody
My pain management specialist prescribed Clonidine for me.  The bottle says it's .1 g.  And yes, it does make you sleepy.  Very sleepy.  Nighty Night..............
I knw that wd cause your blood pressure 2 go up. Bt I was curious while doing opiates is your bp increased or decreased. Just bn studying abt opiates alot and seem 2 be gtn alot of dif info
Clonidine may be a blood pressure medication but withdrawal from opiates is more than elevated BP.When someone takes opiates for an extended period of time then stops,the bodys adrenaline/adrenal gland kicks in hard.I have been through this before and the Clonidine did actually help. I am not sure of the doseage given. I do know that Xanax was prescibed along with it and BP was monitored regularly. The best thing for opiate withdrawal is not to lay around and struggle through it.Find a good Dr.preferably an addiction specialist,get some medication. Somehow find the strength to get out and be around family and friends,this can be excellent medicine.
I Am A Pill Addict I Take Loratabs And Roxys... A Friend Told Me About Clonidine...  How Do I Go About  Getting It?
For the person saying that the only thing that helps for needle users....is suboxone... You are right about that.  IF you have suboxone or methadone or subutex or ANY type of ******** maintence drug-- then withdrawal is non-existent.  I remember being in rehab in detox--heroin or oxy shooters what have you would ***** about how sick they were and this is while they were on subs or methadone.. haha.. such ********.  I've done it all and there is no being sick while your receptors are constantly being filled.  Yes, you may want to get high and shoot your bags-- but be happy you aren't in withdrawal hell is what I always tried to tell these people!  I am addicted to Suboxone.  I've been on it for 3+ years now, and it is the HARDEST thing i've ever had to come off of... i'd rather be back on OCs or heroin and that is no joke.  I often think about doing OCs again to get off the subs--yea i'll still withdrawal, but not nearly as long.  SUb withdrawl (withdrawal) has lasted months in my experience, and no doctors seem to know what i'm talking about. but for people in my situation, you know what it is.  Bottom line: you're going to have to be sick eventually to get off drugs.  there's no easy way out.  Clonidine doesn't help me personally- i wish it did-- but it does lower blood pressure. and thru withdrawal. it can get dangerously high. So there you go.  Seroquel is the way to go if you want to sleep through it.  And also, for those of you out there seeking no pain (which is ridiculous, it's wd) then get some adderall (adderrall) or coke and do speed... now that may sound ****** of me, but some people out there will not quit because of withdrawal--and will continue using hard ****-- sooo why not substitute it with amphetamines for about 2 weeks.  Adderall (adderrall) and seroquel to sleep.  try it.  But if you want to do it the RIGHT way--  TRy Neurontin, vistaril, bentyl, seroquel, even clonidine-- these won't get you feeling great- but will help a little.  and no, suboxone is not my drug of choice and i don't get high from it--- i just can't kick it like i have oxies,dope, etc.  it's ******* evil
you may end up in the ER though if you take the speed route. just sayin.
Taking clonidine does help a little with the withdrawals. Maybe a few days, and then cut it off. As for doing other drugs like uppers, you will really be putting your life in danger. Uppers spikes your blood pressure up and speeds your heart rate up horribly, which can lead to a heart attack, so you would have to be insane to listen to kismetdaisy. As for taking seroquel, you will have some terrible nightmares, and you will be disoriented. There is no easy way out of withdrawal symptoms. You are going to have to go through some kind of pain and discomfort.  Putting off a few weeks of discomfort is nothing compared to the years to come of disaster and torturing your body and mind, and possibly even death.
Lol seriously @Cody, 30 30mg roxies a day? Uh yeah ooooookk
BUT anyways I'm trying to detox from a 4 year habit (started doing ocs, roxies etc, then graduated up to heroin since pills started to become scarce). I have detoxed about 6 times before and relapsed every time. 2 outta the 6 times was cold turkey, and the rest was done by using suboxone. Of course when I wanna detox now I cant find any subs so a friend suggested clonodine. He swears by it, so I decided to try this route after detoxing for the past 3 days and just can't handle it anymore. I'm starting it tomorrow, and I'll keep y'all updated with how it went, what I took etc. Good luck to anyone that's trying to detox, the hardest part is trying to stay clean afterwards, but just surround urself with like-minded ppl and keep ur head up!
How did your WD go with the clonodine? My husband and I just got some today. We're trying to get off suboxone. We were down to only taking half of a 8/2mg pill a day, so I hope it's easier this time. We tried to get off subs a few mos. ago after taking 1-2 a day and it was hell! We dragged our ***** back in the dr. and kept paying 400-500/mo for the script. Well screw that, we need that money and we're done relying on subs. So here we go with clonodine and sleeping pills (trazodone) and some wine at night. Let me know your thoughts... Thanks
yeah 30 , 30mg Roxi's daily.. I did more than that as well before stopping..crazy huh.. and it didnt even phase me ... not proud of it...but its very true after taking for so long.. good luck everyone
I too have at one point done in excess of 30 Roxys per day with several 10/325 percs thrown in too and functioned like normal. I  started 2 weeks ago starting to ween off by using only the percs(7.5s)0 maybe 5 or 6 daily and was relatively comfortable....well Friday morning at 9am I ran out of everything and I braced for the worse....I started taking the clonodine almost immediately and its now sunday almost noon and I have not felt a single withdrawal symptom. They usually hit me between 12 to 18 hrs but its now been 48 and I have been sleeping fine and actually just came in from playing with my dog this morning.
   Ive been in total WDs several times including the whole laying in the floor in front of a heater with a blanket around me sweating my butt off , terrible hopless thoughts crossing my mind , every joint in my body hurting etc. but I cant understand whats happening now....I feel great. Am I out of the woods?
ive been taking 1 to 2 roxy 30s a day for about a year now how bad should the withdraw be for me and can you reccomend anything?
i hate doing pills and im scared to withdraW i only do 1 to 2 pills a day how bad is it gonna be for me i do 30mg roxys
It would be very hard for me to say my friend , Ive never been that responsible with pills to be honest.....Ive always taken way more than that and the withdrawals were horrific. If I had to take a guess Id say yours should be pretty minor , even less if yo0u can cut down to one a day for maybe a week or so then maybe a half for a few more days,
  I still can not understand why Im not in full blown wd's right now Im going on 60 hrs with nothing....not even a single chill
I am going through roxy, morphine, and xanax withdrawl (withdrawal). I am on day 12 and still suffering like a *****.....do not want to ever do this again...any advice????
Congratulations on your days clean!
my advice is to never go back that route again if so it will only get worse in many worse it would only be a matter of time....keep your head up and get in a network of good people you cant count on and trust. meetings tend to help for some people but w.e. it may be just know you dont ever have to feel this way again! you should feel better soon
thats how (phentermine) i tried to get off of 420 oxy 30s a month, ended up in the hosp for a week. my heart almost stopped from the potassium deficiency the amphetamine caused. felt good on it for a day though, then went back on pills then the ER RXed clonidine and overdosed me, my bp and pulse was so low i couldnt walk and ended up in the er again ...I got off the pills by moving out of state, taking vicodin (to KIND OF taper) for a few days.. then taking clonidine (high bp, tachycardia, "the shakes", hot cold flashes), robaxin (muscle relaxant), immodium (digestive problems), klonopin (anxiety), metoclopramide (for loss of appetite). I told the rehab dr in the hospital here "just give me the rx's for home and if i cant do it ill inpatient myself (they give the same meds, the only difference she said was they restrain patients if they have to).. well l did it at home. but it sucked (no way around it), and felt kind of crappy for  months but gradually got better (as good as it gets with RA and fibromyalgia).. but its been 2 years and the motivation without oxys and dilaudid had just started to come back..to this day its hard to sleep frequently and certain conditions will give me some wd's again (yes after 2 yrs clean), like hot weather or the flu etc....much happier off them though. THANK GOD
((Just wanted to chime in)))) This is in response to your response, and to the guy that posted he was taking THIRTY 30mg of Roxy a day...  I was on an extremely HIGH DOSE of Roxy 30mg, I was taking 8 of them a day (Prescribed) That was A LOT if you ask me, and I have a very very high tolerance.. I can't for a second begin to believe that someone was taking Thirty 30mg Roxy's a day, (shooting them non the less). I have been taking pain medication for quite a few years, so it's not my first "rodeo", and it took me a LONG TIME to be able to have a tolerance like I have to opiates, not that I'm proud of it, but again I can't imagine someone could take Thirty 30mg Roxy's in 24 hours.  
kismetdaisy sounds like he has the same experience that I have and I may have even used more(which is a mute point) he could not have stated it any better and EVERYONE should listen to him. One thing kitsedaisy has learned like anyone else that has been switched to Suboxone is that of all the opiates it is the worst to get off of and has the longest withdrawal time frame because of how long the drug last(same goes for methadone).

These drugs are NOT to get off of opiates. They just make you an addict to a drug that brings no pleasure that also has worst side effect then all other opiates. The pharmaceutical companies came up with these HIGHLY addicted drugs so you will have to buy them forever not to cure you so you stop buying drugs.

I would HIGHLY recommend watching the movie Methadonia as it explains that being put on Methadone or Suboxone is NOT to get off of opiates, it is to make sure you buy the drugs from the pharmaceutical companies for life, just like every other drug they produce. It is a “legal” doctor that now wants to become your dealer.

I have been on Suboxone for many years from a dose as high as 32mg, because my tolerance was unheard of and I also have a over active enzymes in my liver that breaks down opiates at a very unnaturally fast rate. I have tapered down to a dose so small that I literally take a little knife and scape off a few pieces of dust. Tapering down from 32mg to this lever is a breeze. I do not think you should ever take 32mg because there is definitely a ceiling lever that is MUCH lower then 32mg. The drug companies know this but hay, 32mg(3 8mg tabs) tablets sell for a lot more then 2mg tablets do. Even though the high doses are no better, you should still try to get the hugest dose possible because then you can break them down to smaller doses and the outrageously expensive script will now be cheaper as it will last longer. I have stopped after up to 50mg of Dilaudid ( using the most effective method ;) )multiple times of the day(I am not trying to brag here I just want to point out that a doctor would put you on 32mg if you told him that and I have learned from personal experience that you would only take 8mg the first day and then I immediately taper down from there, with no ill affects. They definitely prescribe more then you need, so try using less first until you feel OK and then you will see that any more is a waste. In the last few years I have only taken 2-4 mg( with a tolerance as high or higher), sometimes skipping a day, which can be done with no negative affects since it lasts at least 72 hours. I can easily taper down to an amount that is probably unmeasurable, without any problems, but try to quite that .0000000001 mg and the withdrawals are no different the if you were taking more. I REALLY ***** and I totally feel like a slave to the maker of Suboxone.

I honestly would NEVER recommend taking Suboxone or Methadone to get off of opiates, because you will still be an addict and you will just become addicted to either and both have withdrawals symptoms as bad as others, but they last MUCH longer because of how long it takes these drugs to get out of you system. I would rather quit cold turkey and put up with one horrible weak, then having to suffer a little less for a MUCH longer period.

I used to think Suboxone was the best thing ever when it came out. I can guarantee you that most of the people on it now, wish they never got on it, unless they know they will never quite opiates and therefore the will have to take it forever.

The only time you should take Suboxone as an addict, is if you have been to rehab more times then you can remember, you relapsed so many times you can't remember and you are 100% that you will never quit, but you want to be able to take something that will keep the WD's a bay and make you function and you accept that you will taking this until you die.

Like others have mentioned. I to have thought of switching back to opiates after taking Suboxone, to get off opiates, because the WD's from short acting opiates( not extended release like OC's Opana, MSContin, etc) are much easier and shorter then trying to get off Sub's or Methadone.

If you attend NA meetings, talk to people that have been on Suboxone that want to get off and everyone of them will say the same thing or similar things that I and other have already stated. ANY REHAB THAT PUTS YOU ON SUBOXONE OR METHADONE IS NOT A REHAB, THEY ARE LEGAL DRUG DEALERS THAT WILL PUT YOU ON OTHER ADDICTIVE DRUGS THAT STILL MAKES YOU AN ADDICT IN MY MIND. If their policy it to put you on either, find another rehab that doesn't practice this. If you go to a rehab that uses Suboxone as the treatment, You just wasted you money and you will have to spend it again to go to a rehab that will not you drugs to fix you.

continued in next post
One thing to point out here is do not think you can Suboxone for a week or two to prevent the WD's and think you will get off of it easy because you think you are not addicted to it yet because you have only taken it a few days. The fact is if you are addicted to any opiate, you are already addicted to them all, so the short term trial thing will not work.

As bad as it can be, quiting cold turkey (or maybe a taper down beforehand which MAY reduce the WD's) it the only way you will ever get off opiates permanently and then you should move where you no no one, in a rural area for a year that would takes 3+ hours to go to a place to score and tell every doctor you see so they won't prescribe any opiates to you.

Suboxone it no different the Oxycontin or a majority of drugs. The drug companies make these drugs so that there patients become addicted or have to use them to maintain their health so you will have to buy them forever. Theres a reason why drugs like these are the pharmaceutical companies biggest money makers. Addicts are a drug company/dealers best friend. I mean if the fact that methamphetamine is legal and can be prescribed easily for ADD (like Adderal), do you relay think the government wants drugs to be illegal or do they want them illegal so they can control the market and make all the money? “Legally” of course LOL.

WD's suck and that is just a fact of life, there are really no ways around it, there are some thing to make it more comfortable, but really it still ***** more then anything else you have probably experienced. IMO the WD's is 90% of why people become addicted to opiates, because most long term addicts would quit for anything, but the WD's are INSANE, nothing like anything else(IMO it is the main reason people become addicted and unless you have gone through them, you have NO idea what they are like and it is the reason why most people continue to use and why a lot of people that have gone through rehab, usually OD after word because they know they are going to use again and they do not want to do it all over again. I personally do not think most of those people that OD like this, did it on accident, because they know what they can take. I think if any opiate addict contemplated committing suicide they would try to OD themselves intentionally because it has to be the most painless and peaceful death and because they do not want to go through the WD's again and or feel they will never be able to quit. I think Curt Cobain tried to OD himself because of the amount of Heroin they found in his system and since that didn't work, he choose a more certain method.(May he RIP).

Good luck with you WD's and just remember, they will go away, but plan on feeling so bad that it will be like nothing before, It hurts mentally(anxiety is insane) physically, you won't sleep(which drives me nuts and makes it seem to last longer. If you use drugs like Benzo's(Valium Xanax, etc) or other addicting drugs to relieve the WD's use them only when you can't stand it anymore, otherwise you will just become addicted to those drugs which also have the worst side effect of the opiates, like lack of sleep, and anxiety and substituting another addictive drug to get off another does nothing except change you drug of choice and you will still be an addict IMO, unlike some so called addiction specialist that think if you are on a non-mind altering drug, you are no longer an addict. LOL

PLEASE watch the movie Methadonia and you will see what I am talking about.

Thank you.  All sounds like good advice.  iThis is the first time i have heard the contents of a 'kit'.  This helps!  Whensuffering through the Agony it is good to have remedies on hand to ease the suffering. Thanks!  And yes, staying off all together is, by far, the best plan of all.  The 'feel good' is most definitely Not worth the terrible withdrawal pain.  It's better to find another way (any other way) to cope with the ordeal that leads people to use opiates.  First there's the hardship that lead to the opiate use.  Then, there's the hardship of ongoing withdrawal.  and still the first has not been solved, leaving the person with two overwhelming hardships!  I wish all of you coping with WD all the success in the world!  No one deserves this level of suffering.  I hope medical science soon finds a way for people to withdraw from opiates in a less painful way.
Opiates lower your respiratory rate and depending on other conditions also lowers your heart rate.  Opiate withdrawal can be unbearable without assistance.  I personally came off of over 1000 mg a day of oxycontin and oxycodone (prescribed by the number 1 pain clinic in the NW) without any help.  It was the hardest thing I have ever done.  Be careful with withdrawal, be prepared to not be functional.  As good as the medications make you feel, the opposite is true during early withdrawal.  You feel very low, but it does get better and reach out for help if you can.  If you have no family or other support systems then there is a National Helpline 1-800-273-TALK.  For those brave people who are quitting narcotics, you are not ALONE!  I still have a chronic pain condition, but the pills were killing me and the stigma was my tombstone.  Please know that I am thinking of all of you and hoping with all my heart that brighter days are coming soon for you:)
To the whole page- I just read everything on this page. I am on day one of withdrawal. problem is- I cannot tell ANYONE close to me (Family, Husband, parents, friends...) Almost a year ago- I went voluntarilly into an outpatient rehab that fit into my work schedule. (My son is now 18 1/2 months) And was on Suboxone from July through the end December. Then my insurance changed to a high dedectible plan, and the Sub's were $600 a month. So- I was good for a month- then went back on pills. Lots of pills. Hydros...Oxy's, whatever i could get my hands on. At least 120 a day. and these were the 10 mg. I have a HUGE tolerance. SO-it's day one. I have a full bottle of clonodine. I have to work everyday. And take care of my son at night. Any suggestions? Other than diareah...nothing too bad yet. I do have some ambien for the nights my husband is home. He works nights. This is it. I need to do it this time!! HELP!!!!
i had breast cancer , was on oxycodone 80mg twice a day while going thru the chemo, radiation , and surgeries, i took my self off the oxys ask my doctor to give me suboxone wich he did over 2 yrs ago, now i want off this stuff too. because where i live in the u.s ther is alot of ppl on pills and abusing them buying them from the street makes ppl who actually have a reason to be on the drug get the same disheartened looks at the pharmacy everytime i go i get treated like im some sort of junkie, even tho i have explained my medical history more than @#$#@!& once !. so ive decided to come off the subs and im wondering what are the addiction risk with clonodine, also i have low blood pressure to begin with is that a problem , so far the wd arent to bad im not sleeping to well bout 20 mins at a time and im having body pain, bout like the flu, how long will this last i was cutting myself down from 1/2 to 1/4 over a three month period. and my last dosage was more like a half of a 1/4 wich i guess would be 1/8 my doctor is aware of my desicion and has said he will give me the clonidine if i feel i need it but id really like to make a informed dicesion. so please someone help!!!
Thank you for your post... I couldnt agree with you more about never switching to methadone (in my case).  I went to a Methadone clinic completely unaware of what i was getting myself into longterm.  Ive had 7 surgeries on my low back, have titanium implanted, nerve damage, etc....when i found the clinic it was because i was taking over 20-25, some days more, of Perc 10's, klonipin (klonopin), deprssion meds, and others, and didnt want to lay down to sleep one night and not wake up....orphan my children!  I went to the clinic and i wanted to change my behavior, the way i thought, deal with my baggage, and just learn how to live a life with pain in it.  After just shy of 3 years i happily accomplished my goals.  I truly feel like a new person with a new lease on life.

So, i transferred back into pain management and have a wonderful doc....BUT coming off the merhadone has been nothing short of Hell!  When i left the clinic i had gotten down to 86mgs of the liquid daily from 115mgs.  My PM doc took me from 86mgs to 60 in my 1st appt which was ok as he had started me on other meds for my pain.  2 weeks ago he dropped me from 50mgs to none at all!!  He adjusted all my other meds but i have had the most wicked withdrawals since that appt but i refuse REFUSE to call him and have me start taking a low dose of the methadone.  I want it out of my body!!  Had i known what this would be like when i entered the clinic i would have made a different choice!!  This is worse than coming off of anything EVER!!  I keep hoping that the day will come that i realize im starting to not feel so bad, but im 2 weeks and 2 days into this whole thing and im miserable.....no sleep, cant eat, GI problems, and withdrawal pain compounding my usual daily pain.  Im taking the clonidine and trazodone for sleep to help with this processbut im not totally sure what if anything its doing for me.

My former counselor who has since left the clinic for ethical reasons, and i, are trying to accimilate information about the huge CONS about methadone and methadone clinics.  They ultimately create a captive audience of addicts that have merely traded one addiction for one that is SO much harder to deal with.  We are going to try to educate the public about all of this, hopefully with a website and also with speaking engagements.  People need to know this is not your only option out there and, as you said, a terrible one for trying to deal with a pill addiction.  

Again i appreciate all of the info about clonidine and withdrawals in this post.  Its helped me a lot.  Peace, happiness, and better days for all.

Ajohnson
There's no real reason to take anything when ur detoxing, all you have to do is just suck it up and ******* do it! If ur a hardcore heroin or pill popper, then u can just get over it in about 7 days but the sleep still remains to be seen. That's the only bad thing about coming off of opiates. I'm on my 3rd day right now, and the only thing that's pissing me off is the fact that I can't sleep! My legs are creepy crawly, wont stop shaking and moving. But if you're serious about wanting to kick, then by all means do it! Just take what u have right now and do the rest and just suck it up and wait it out.
UH YA, I believe it, I was snorting 10 80 mg Oxy's a day plus eating 10, 10mg norcos a day. That was a cold turkey two month kick, and now in my third go round its subs, 8 days clean. God tell me my magic number.  That being said its not near as bad as the others, trust that.
I too am on day one of WD...  I have been taking percs, roxis, tabs, ANYTHING to stop them.   I got up at 5:00 this morning to talk to a Methadone clinic only to find out that they have to have PERMISSION from the doctor who is giving me the pills to treat me with Methadone.....  Of course, he doesn't wanna lose his meal ticket, so he won't fax a response to the clinic.  I am just soooo tired.  I have been to many rehabs before, and they work for a little while, but I always end up back on some kind of opiate.
Listen to this.... I have been a heroin addict with needles and everything below for years.. I am now clean off the stuff three years. I took methadone :) for 2 years since I was still an occaional user and didnt feel like dying...got clean..tried suboxone NEVER TAKE SUBANYTHING!!!! You will become sick daily im talking emergency room sick worse than withdrawl (withdrawal) if thats possible...clonodine never tried but heard good thangs...I recently shattered my heal....and guess what....Yep dilauted followed by vicodin sob...The withdrawl (withdrawal) is the worst IT SUX, IT SUXS BAD! no lie but a wasting your life with opiods is worse just remember its 5 dayz ..the magic number is what you want to know and its 5-7days NOTHING HELPS DRINK WATER and GIVE UP SLEEPING Good luck and may god bless you and me too im with ya homie
Forgot somthin..This helps not what u want to hear but helps tremendously GO FOR A WALK, walk TILL you cant no more just do it trust me
Orangatang, this post is over 5 years old and none of these members are active. So I don't know who you are talking to?
one more important thing realize methodone will temporary cure the problem if your using by all means take it...it worx well but remember there job at the clinic is to treat heavy addicts so somtimes the only way they will let you in the door is if your not afraid to say i am a Junkie please help me and possibly exhagurate your symptoms and usage but longterm its as hard to kick as heroin sorry bout blabbin gl peace
you know i must have read it wrong I 've just been there myself and have seen alot of opiod addicts die I would lik to help any i can plus they need to ban suboxone I want to post that on a billboard before it kills another it make doctors rich and addicts dead
I agree to some extend with you.  I went through the WDs with no help and the worst thing was the fact that I could not sleep and my leg and arm was super restless.  I got through it, but what I did not count on was how lathargic I was. The result was I relapsed.  Now with the help of Tramadol and Clonidine, I have been clean 61 days now.  Everybody's metabolism and body are different.  There is no shame AT ALL with help from Medications
If you have that creepy crawly feeling where your legs or arms just won't settle down, the clonidine really helps. Plus it makes you sleepy
Ok, disclaimers first, I am not a doctor, nor a professional expert in medicine or pharmacology in any official capacity. What I AM is a chronic pain sufferer (high-speed head-on collision resulting in too many cervical spine issues to list here), and I happen to have done a lot of research.  However, my primary physician and I have developed an ongoing strategy when it comes to dealing with chronic pain every day: "my goal should be to become as "functional as I can, not as "comfortable as I can". I understand that I am going to have a degree of pain for most if not the rest of my life. I've accepted that. now I want my life back. And that means work. Through some ups and downs along the way, I have settled into a balanced combination of physical therapy and several non-narcotic medications to manage my various symptoms, all in addition to the moderate level of opiate drug therapy that forms my base-line of pain relief.  

I was lucky enough to find a doctor that has taken time to find a long term pain management strategy that goes beyond writing me a script and showing me the door. I wish everyone we as lucky, dare I say "blessed" as I. Sadly that is not the case, and many who just want an end to the pain end up going down a road that swallows them up before they even know what they're really dealing with.

So, what I'm about to say here applies to several of the posts/replies on this thread, so I'm not singling anyone out specifically, but this diatribe about the inherent "evilness" of pharmaceutical companies is concerning to say the least. even disturbing, and I'll try to explain why. you're not going to see a lot of accusations and foul language that is marked out with "******". (by the way, it seems like the people who share the most extreme stories also use the worst language. I am not in any way lessening the struggle everyone here has faced, and I'm not doubting anyone's' commitment or resolve to better themselves or put their live back together. I respect that, I promise.)

But in this post, I saw some things that were said as if they were based in facts, and it was honestly, very alarming. I'm not going to recap everything I saw, that will all become obvious enough really soon. First, making blanket statements like "all pharmaceutical companies" or "any doctor" etc, it's ridiculously irresponsible and it takes away from your credibility. Secondly, the idea that these companies are modern day drug peddlers that want to take their place as "legalized dealers" just to keep people hooked on drugs, is absurd. I wont argue that there is evidence that suggests that some diseases seem to have more money spent on "treatments" than they do on an actual cure, but that is another discussion entirely. Here is why: Drugs like suboxone, subutex and methadone are long acting opiates that have a longer half-life than other opioids/opiates, this allows the patient (intentionally avoiding the word user here) to maintain a more level blood concentration than they would with a shorter acting opiate, allowing them to take less of the drug over-all. the problem here is that too many recovering patients view the drug as a replacement instead of a step-down treatment. use any opiate long enough and you're going to have problems, period. furthermore, suboxone, methadone and subutex (and others) all have a naloxone component in their formulation that will cause a precipitated onset of opiate withdrawal if the drug is administered using any illicit or unintended method. And, in regards to the statements about doctors intentionally putting patients onto a drug that is "every bit as addictive, but give none of the pleasure" should demonstrate its' own absurdity if you read the sentence more than once. The whole idea is to decrease its potential for abuse. doctors don't prescribe optiates for "pleasure"; they do it to treat a condition, not to make people high. It was considered a major breakthrough in the medical community when an opiate compound was developed that offered not only an option to aid recovering addicts, but also to treat chronic pain sufferers (like myself...) while lowering the potential for abuse at the same time. Shifting focus here, the DEA maintains a strict schedule of controlled substances and spends lord knows how much money (tax dollars...) every year to enforce regulation and monitoring of controlled substance distribution, from top to bottom (doctors to pharmacies and everything in-between) not to mention the money invested for research and testing. Add all of this up and do the math, the conclusion is pretty obvious.. why on earth would they bother with any of this if all that was intended from the beginning was to get everyone "hooked on drugs for life". Any doctor worth their salt will recognize that being on opiates long-term with out any consideration of alternate means of pain relief is not wise. the reality is that many pain patients actually don't want to investigate alternate means, they want their Rx's. And when their doctors cut them off (whether gradually or cold-turkey) some, not all, but some patients escalate their habits to other drugs or even illegal drugs as a means of self-medicating, or plain recreational use. This kind of rhetoric about the inherent evils of the system are what happens when dramatic rationalization overpowers reason. and to a greater extent, the desire to place responsibility on someone or something else. Again, everyone on this forum is dealing with something or knows someone who is.. it's a rough road to travel, and even worse if you travel it alone. and one thing everyone here can agree on is that people who have not experienced opiate dependence (whether it's physical dependence or psychological, or both) will never understand what it is like to go through it all and come out the other end... and some would argue that for some, the struggle never really ends. but don't lose sight of the facts, because sweeping statements like the ones in the previous post can give people who are looking for help the entirely wrong idea of what they should do. doctors are not evil. Yes, there are good doctors, and a whole lot of bad ones.. even criminals here and there, but mostly the bad ones are just negligent and irresponsible, but hey, that's why it is important to do research. keep the responsibility on you. don't blame the world. If you do that, than when you get to the day when you are free of dependence on opiates (or anything for that matter) you'll know that you got YOURSELF there. and it will mean all that much more. But if you try to find an easy road, and and crash and burn when it doesn't happen, accusing the medical industry of being evil wont get you anywhere, and you'll be stuck in a vicious cycle until you change your thinking....

Good luck to everyone here and to anyone else who will come here for help. As most people here have said, it's all about one day at a time, and surrounding yourself with like minded people who have lived through it as well. they also say that removing yourself from enabling environments is also important but that is a lot easier said than done for most.

The most important thing I can finish with is this: if you've reached the point where you know you can't do it alone, look for help,, and if you don't find it the first time, keep looking, and then keep looking some more. Don't find someone or something to blame. Ok, I'm done. everyone I just royally ticked off are free to tear this post apart... But I hoped I helped more than I potentially angered.

ok, I'm a newbie here on this forum, and I accidentally submitted the same long post three times... and I am SUCH a newbie that I can't even figure out how to delete the duplicate posts, or even how to contact a forum admin to remove them. can someone help me out before I get reported for spamming or something of that nature? thanks in advance!
Hmmm, this thread is long, old, and aside from the first seven posts, completely off it's own topic. Quite a lively debate of the pros and cons of the partial/full opioid antagonists going on though.

Scroll all the way down and and on the right there's a very good FAQ on this topic.
Wow, just realized that this thread is so long you actually have to scroll up for that FAQ. Who's the noob now :)
GREAT CODY I ONLY ADVISE SUBOXONE. I WAS AD TO PERCOCET FOR ALMOST 4 YEAR I GOT SOME SUBS CHANGE MY LIFE I DONT EVER EVER WANT TO HAVE ANOTHER PERCOCET  HABBIT IN LIFE THE WORST THING I EVER HADDDDD.......... 15.10MG ADAY
I FOR GOT TO AD I ONLY TOOK THE SUBOXONE  FOR  10 DAYS  I DID NOT WANT TO GET ADDICTED TO ANY THING ELSE I DONT KNOW BUT I THINK I REALLY HAD THE WORST PROBLEM EVER. I TOOK 8MG FOR 5DAYS AND THEN BROKE THE PILL INTO 4 PIECES FOR 5 DAYS AND THAT WAS IT I HAD A LITTLE BIT OF OFF AND ON SWEATS AND COLD FLASHES! FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS AFTER THAT I WOKE UP FEELING FREE AGAIN I HAD NOT FELT NORMAL SINCE JANUARY 2009 ANYONE READING THIS MESSAGE IF YOU CAN DONT NOT TAKE MORE THAN 8MG OF SUBOXONE A DAYFOR NO MORE THAN10-14 DAYS  YOU WILL HATE THE DAY YOU EVER CAME IN CONTACT WITH THIS MEDICATION
I PROMISE YOU THAT.
8 30mg oxies isnt that much at all actually....to someone with no opiate tolerance yes, it might put them out, but to a seasoned veteran of opiates like myself once was, 8 would be done by 10 or 11 am.....in my last days of using roxies before i made the full plunge into heroin, i was going through anywhere between 25-40 of the little blue guys each day...sometimes snorting them, sometimes slamming them but 90% of the time i smoked them on foil....just because you think 8 per day is a lot doesnt mean that the body cant become accustomed to much much more. :0oO
I was on Methadone, 10 mgs, 7 pills a day, for almost five yrs. and was cut off cold turkey as I had vicodan in my urine test (prescribed from the dentist after a tooth pulled).  Methadone does not work on dental pain in my case.  Anyways, I was cut off on May 14, 2012 and I am still going thru withdrawals, not as bad as first, when I thought I was going to die, seriously, and for me Clonidine didn't do much or least I was too "pill sick" to notice....what did help was marijuana, which I eventually got a "medical marijuana" script.I hardly even use that now, maybe twice a week to sleep.
I wish my docs, who made me feel like a criminal when I was cut off, and them not even acknowledging my comment, when I told reminded them that I didn't ask for Methadone, you wrote it.  It literally ruined my life.  So if you can,  just don't take ANY meds or use mild ones moderately....really try to tough it out..I'm at 5 months free of painkillers, miss them everyday, but like any other drug you take it one day at a time.  Good luck.
I'm so sick & tired of doctors time & time again going straight to clonodine when it comes to opiate w/d.It's blood pressure medication-that's all.Yes,some people's blood pressure skyrockets when in w/d,but clonodine,IF it does anything at all for you,will just make you feel like you're still just as sick but w/a lead suit on.For me,it does absolutely nothing whatsoever,& when the first thing out of a doctor's mouth is 'clonodine',I have to roll my eyes to myself & think,'here we go again'.I'm so sick of doctors thinking that feeling any w/d is just 'part of it'.It' doesn't have to be,& that idea is so antiquated.It's unneccecary w/today's technology & medicine for someone to be THAT uncomfortable during detox.I swear,doctors seem to think that the more uncomfortable you are that the better it works.To the point where I've seen facilities use something that works great,switch to something that doesn't do ****,then try to tell you 'studies have found that it's better this way'.Any idiot knows that the more comfortable you are during detox,the faster your body will detox.If you're that uncomfortable,you can't eat,drink,sleep,you get dehydrated,& your metabolism slows.So the sickness lingers & lingers.But since the medical books say it lasts 3 days,the doctors think that's that.They need to eliminate clonodine from any thoughts of opiate detox,forget it was ever used for that at any point in time,because it's a joke.It may help used in conjunction w/an alternative opiate-you can take all the meds in the world,if it's not in conjunction w/an opiate,they won't work.At all.Period.
I have been taken stong oxy for almost 7 year..was taken 4/80mg times release 2times day  plus 4/30mg meta release 4times a day,did that about a year ,but was never high went to wrk everyday nobody did no,was employee of year"giggle" same job 8 years,but when i didnt have i can't,think move or talk right,and angry..have dwindled my self down to living maintaining on 2 perk/vics 5mg every 2 days,but if i get to the 3rd day ,i cant be focus just wana dye ~_~ i dont have a doc,the few times i saw i cant explain or the dont hear,im lost i really dont think 2pills every 2 is a prob..but i would like to not take anything,never even to.pills till i was 31 years.old,had three child naturally..what happened how do i fix it...

......the
......peach..~_~
This topic is now closed.  If you'd like to start a new topic, you can do so by clicking the "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  Thanks!

Claire

________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE
Truth be told...the only real, sure fire way to kick any habit....pills, needles or whatever be your choice of drug is; pure self determination! I was on met, using needles and any other method,for over 12 years. I decided, for my children, to stop....cold turkey! The worst, and hardest thing I ever did! 2 weeks of seclusion, and done. Not easy, by far! But that was 21 years ago! Clean since! Buy still have thoughts about it to this day! ONE DAY AT A TIME ! Goodluck to all!
I was taking the same amount myself, IV too....it's absolutely possible.  I used to outdope all the big fellas(I'm a slender female).  It happens, some of us have an unbelievable tolerance....  My councilor said the she had seen other girls with a tolerance like mine, so it does happen and it *****....damn spendy
tried both Gabapetin and clonodine and by far I would go with the Gaba much fewer side effects and no WD's with Gabapetin. I tried clondine when I went off Trams and for sure it has more side effects and Does not stop all the WD's like Gabapetin does.
Michael
Don't use Imodium (immodium)! It is technically an opiate (it just can't pass the blood brain barrier) that can't get you high, but it can prolong withdraw symptoms by days and even weeks. Since it can't pass the BBB the only effect you get similar to other opiates is the constipation.  
this medication IS not for the anything other than to SUPPORT withdrawl (withdrawal), not remove withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms from OPIATE medications. You don't want withdrawl (withdrawal), don't get started.
Read the information and if needed have someone who understands, explain it to you as well. Better yet, do yourself a lifelong favour and get off all the crap your putting into your system. Someone loves you even if you don't love yourself.
There is no crown for bragging on addiction when your dead.
How about, at the risk of stating the obvious, any opiate addict would be advised to reduce slowly until you are down to a bare minimum,then consider trying clonidine . Most say it helps, from slightly to a lot. Just thought we'd make a suggestion . Then it is comparable to a slight flu symptoms, for a week. Totally aggree with experiencedopiate, it's definitely true that you are just changing drug. I was started on subutex , quickly realised I was in no better position. I returned to an eighth a day of H and gradually reduced at my pace. Until I was using a point a day. Got clean. Good luck.
That was right on!   Loved it!  I know withdrawal is hard.  Very hard.  Life doesn't make it easy because we are always busy.  I think the hard part is finding the down time to recover.  That's what makes it hard.  School-work-family-shopping.  Seems like we put our health and recovery last.  We are like a computer that crashes.  We still don't shut down?  We count on meds to go like the enerzier bunny.  But eventually he crashes too?