Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
codeine and me

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

codeine and me

i have been on codeine syrups almost constantly for the past 16 +years.....with some nitrazepam thrown on and off...............what should i expect if i quit?how difficult is ths gonna be?
Wow 16 years....its gonna be difficuly but not impossible. I am not familiar with codeine never having taken it myself so am not sure if you can cold turkey it or if you need to wean. I am sure someone will be on soon that can give you specifics about withdrawing from codeine who have gone through it themselves. My worry is mentally. 16 years is a long time and you are going to have to relearn how to live without codeine....again difficult but not impossible. I would advise some NA or a therapist....I wish you the best of luck!