Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
coughing and withdrawal?
About This Community:

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

coughing and withdrawal?

Hi medhelp friends, well, today is my 5th day off methadone and I have not stopped coughing, I don't have a cold or anything, just keep coughing like crazy!....I know for the 7+ yrs I was on methadone it seems like I never coughed at all.  I know sneezing is part of the withdrawal, but coughing?  I'm not sick at all, I know it probably sounds strange, but has this happened to any of you?........thanks in advance!...........Teri :)
Blank
1926359_tn?1331591739
Hi Teri,

5 days!!! You are doing awesome.  Yes, the coughing is normal for detox.  Your respiratory system was suppressed by the methadone and now it is coming back to life.  If you have access to an infrared sauna, it really helps to speed up the detox process.  Cardio helps immensely too.  I know you are feeling like crap, but the more you sweat, and encourage your heart and lungs to work, the better you will feel.  Think of the coughing, sneezing, GI flushing, sweating as your body ridding itself of poison and healing- because it is.  You want to support it to do this as much as you can.  Be sure to drink LOTS of water.  And hey girl, I am so proud of you...You are doing this!

xo
Lu
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2025470_tn?1334018991
Teri..

I have never been on Methadone but I did jump off a high amount of oxy....  I never ever once sneezed.  Craziest thing.  BUT I Coughed like crazy.  Everything I read said that I would but I didn't...  All I did was cough like crazy and it drove me nuts,   It started to subside at 14ish days or so...

Hope this helps.

Sean
Blank
1926359_tn?1331591739
Hi Teri,

5 days!!! You are doing awesome.  Yes, the coughing is normal for detox.  Your respiratory system was suppressed by the methadone and now it is coming back to life.  If you have access to an infrared sauna, it really helps to speed up the detox process.  Cardio helps immensely too.  I know you are feeling like crap, but the more you sweat, and encourage your heart and lungs to work, the better you will feel.  Think of the coughing, sneezing, GI flushing, sweating as your body ridding itself of poison and healing- because it is.  You want to support it to do this as much as you can.  Be sure to drink LOTS of water.  And hey girl, I am so proud of you...You are doing this!

xo
Lu
Blank
Do you smoke too? I noticed that because the respiratory system was slowed when it picked back up all the nasty stuff in my lungs came.out which also made me in able to smoke cigs without puking.
Blank
1909286_tn?1379438737
   Hi guys thanks, wow ...what don't withdrawals cause!!????  Thanks Lu - your the best!  addicted2long - no I don't smoke, but the way I'm coughing you'd think I do!  Northeast - I guess you  kinda got lucky and just had the cough without the sneezing, gosh you should hear me...I cough and sneeze at the same time!...lol!..........Teri  :)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addiction: Substance Abuse Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...